Code of Conduct

Default Most powerful fragrance candles?

I know few fragrances make candles.. In fact I think I've only seen Creed ones. So I'm wondering which fragrances make make candles? Are they worth it? And which are the most powerful. Obviously it's wax but they're infused with perfume oils, some use more oils and some use less which would give them their projection I guess.

Also are there any that I should avoid?

I'm kind of going through a phase now with candles, I bought these awesome "Tiny Temptations" candles @ TJ Maxx. They're as gourmand as can be and smell deliiicious!

Default Re: Most powerful fragrance candles?

le labo, i think bond #9 make some, perhaps frederic malle but i do not know.

I think Byredo also make nice candles. Bibliotheque smellss like leather-bound books in a library!

http://shop.byredo.com/system/search/csearch.asp?flag=2
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

It was actually collecting candles and soaps that got me into this hobby, but now that I've spent so much time turning my nose into a picky scent-snob, I've really had to up my game in the candle department.

My three best picks:

Diptyque (their selection of woody scents in candles - all perfume quality - is amazing. Start with their firewood scent and their cypress, go anywhere from there)

L'Artisan Parfumeur candles are amazing, too. Most are variations on their top-selling scents.

Also, the By Kilian candles are really heavily-scented, like simplified versions of their scents.

I haven't tried a Creed candle yet, but I look forward to it whenever my local Creed counter gets in more than just Green Irish Tweed...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

The Etro candles are very nice. Messe de Minuit is particularly "strong". I just don't find them worth the money, I think.

Di Nicolai do fabulous candles, they don't match the fragrances but they are fabulous.
    L'Artisan also great.
    Jo Malone, excellent sillage from these babies.
    Diptyque of course amazing quality candles.

Never tried Laura Mercier candles but they match her fragrances. But I don't do foodie style fragrance or candles.
    DONNA

Comme des Garçons - Monocle One: Hinoki is *awesome*. Very good, strong woody scent.
    I have one by my bedside - sweet dreams every night!

Armani Privé does candles as well - I'll be trying the Bois d'Encens soon.
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?

Trapp candles. "Water" and "MacIntosh" (& some others I know), WILL fill your room with fragrance. I stake my honor and integrity with that opinion.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Comme des Garçons - Monocle One: Hinoki is *awesome*. Very good, strong woody scent.
    I have one by my bedside - sweet dreams every night!

Armani Privé does candles as well - I'll be trying the Bois d'Encens soon.
    The Bois d'Encens candle is absolutely gorgeous!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I've never really been into home scenting, so forgive me saying I was a bit shocked to see a $80+ price tag on a candle... are these things worth it?
    How long do they last? How well do they project (room, house, etc)?

(I'm open to being pursued ed, just want some info first)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I've never really been into home scenting, so forgive me saying I was a bit shocked to see a $80+ price tag on a candle... are these things worth it?
    How long do they last? How well do they project (room, house, etc)?

(I'm open to being pursueded, just want some info first)
    Much like perfumes, some expensive candles are expensive because they're both artistic and contain expensive raw materials. Others are expensive simply to be "luxury items".

In terms of the quality of the fragrances, Diptyque's whole line of wood and incense candles are so awesome that any of them would be better than 90% of the woody incense perfumes out there. And once you're at peace with spending $180 of 50 ml of EDT, $60 for a candle doesn't seem that ridiculous. Most have around 60 hours of burn time and have to be burned 1-2 hours each time to melt all the way across. So that's either a couple of months of daily burning, or a year of occasional usage, especially if you get a little collection together.

In terms of massive silage paired with great scent, the best I've tried have been L'Artisan's Aedes de Venustas candle and By Kilian's Cruel Intentions. I live in a studio apartment, so I don't know how well they'd fill a whole house. Diptyque's tuberose is also notorious for being so strong you really don't have to light it.

It's only been recently that I've crossed over into the ridiculously expensive candles, with a couple in the hundred-dollar range. It does feel kind of stupid and wasteful, I'll admit, but one was Malle's Saint des Saints, which is his first attempt at a woody incense. I couldn't resist, and I was on vacation and had some cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Really, artsy niche candles feel to me like a logical extension of the perfume obsession.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

There are a few that haven't been mentioned yet so I will throw those names into the ring:

Alberto Morillas has created an extensive and pricey line of candles. The line is called Mizensir.
    Most (perhaps all) of the Heeley fragrances are available as candles.
    Le Labo created an exclusive interiors fragrance and candle line for Le Meridien Hotels called LM01.