Code of Conduct

Default Something with a little more sillage and longevity

I was wondering if the members of this forum could give me some ideas for a new general use fragrance? At the moment I use Boss Bottled as my main scent and although I like the smell, it seems to become a skin scent quite quickly so the sillage isn't too great.

Has anyone got any suggestions for something similar which might last a bit better? I'm either after another sweet fragrance like Boss or alternatively something more clean smelling. And as it's for my everyday scent, although I'd like good sillage and longevity I don't want it to be overpowering!

I'm a university student if that helps narrow down the selection a bit, and I'm not really after any niche fragrances. I've tried Chanel Allure, but I'm not too keen on that.

Default Re: Something with a little more sillage and longevity

YSL Live Jazz - tenacious and a good summer scent. Affordable, too.

YSL Rive Gauche - Barbershop clean, lasts pretty long as well.

Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2010 - same

These last, but don't buy any without testing.
    Last edited by adonis; 17th May 2010 at 11:50 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Dune pour Homme by Dior
    Eternity by Calvin Klein

Although I haven't tried it -- Hugo Dark Blue I believe it's called is supposed to have great longevity and projection/sillage. Also Ambre by Baldessarini is supposed to smell like Boss #6 (which I've never smelled so I can't tell you) but with more amber. I do own Ambre.. in fact just bought it today and I do like a bit. Projection I find to be a little above average, sillage is below average though.. it doesn't project any more with movement. The stuff itself lasts about 4-6 hours on my skin; though I've only worn it today and couple tries in the past.

Also a very rarely talked about fragrance that falls into this category is Perry Ellis Portfolio. My favorite from the PE house and one of the first fragrances I found to be so versatile and fitting for every endeavor. Projects nicely and lasts over 6 hours; it's also very safe, casual and hard to offend anybody with.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 18th May 2010 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks for the replies - the Issey fragrances and Rive Gauche were two that had already caught my eye. I was worried that Rive Gauche might be more suited to older people. Do you think it can work for someone in their early twenties?

Quote Originally Posted by PinPoint View Post
    Thanks for the replies - the Issey fragrances and Rive Gauche were two that had already caught my eye. I was worried that Rive Gauche might be more suited to older people. Do you think it can work for someone in their early twenties?
    Yes, although you should sample it before you buy it. It smells like Barbasol shaving cream. It's a lot like when you're in the barber chair and he puts some powder on the back of your neck and brushes the little hair bits off. The top notes disappear in 20 minutes, so wait until you get there before making a decision.

The Issey scent is vastly different than RG. And if you try the Issey, make sure to test the Summer version.

Last edited by adonis; 18th May 2010 at 09:03 AM.

I don't think Rive Gauche would be the best recommendation for someone who is just starting out. It is definitely a bold statement for a young man to wear such a fragrance. Rive Gauche is a risky choice. Compared to Boss Bottled, it is much different.
    Last edited by Ronin; 18th May 2010 at 08:48 AM.

Black Soul

i would say eternity by CK
    dolce and gabanna the one has a simillar sort of fruity vibe but bad longevity

I would recommend Egoiste by Chanel.

Lasts all day with a good sillage, sweet, classic, masculine and refined.
    Give it a try.

Platinum Egoiste deserver a trie too, but i prefer Original Egoiste by far!

Keep us updated.

Chanel Allure Sport ( citrus )
    Bvlgari Extreeme ( Tea )
    Carolina Herrera 212 ( Metalic )
    Fahrenheit 32 ( flower vanilla )

nice ones to try and know what u like and what u don't like..

I'm also new to fragrances, but I wouldn't recommend Eternity by Calvin Klein if you want to stand out. I was dissapointed when I first smelled it.
    You should try The Dreamer by Versace. It is very cheap, a real bargain, but it smells like it costs more. It has great sillage and even better longevity. It's also original.
    You should definitly try Allure Homme Sport. It's perfect for a student, because it has great longevity and projection without being overpowering.
    L'eau d' Issey might also be a good choice. Try the Intense version, which smells better and lasts longer.
    I also picture Dior Homme being a scent for students. You should try all 3 of them, but personaly I prefer Intense. The "Cologne" version is also interesting.

- Kenzo Power Cologne
    - Infusion d´Homme by Prada
    - Terre d´Hermes