Code of Conduct

Default Le Dandy by D'Orsay: now in EDP and a new formulation

Yes, c'est vrai...they changed the formula, mes cheris. No doubt to match the new box.

Old eau de toilette: Top: Rhum, whiskey, Pineapple, plum, peach, apple Mid: Ginger, asian cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove Base: Sandalwood, cedar, oakmoss, patchchouli, tonka bean, peru balsam, Siam benzoin

New eau de parfum: Top: Rhum, whiskey, peach, pineapple, plum Mid: Ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, clove Base: Sandalwood, benzoin, patchouli, tonka bean, peru balsam, tobacco

Based on the info on their Web site.

Read more: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252...#ixzz0oF2aRKYk
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th May 2010 at 02:56 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Le Dandy by D'Orsay: now in EDP and a new formulation

sounds good

i read in fragrance directory this is an 1923 scent

where can i find it ?

Being looking through the weB and haven't find noBody who sellsit

I wore my edt of it just a week or so ago. Fantastic longevity, as always, so I can't help wondering if there's a need for an edp or if the edp is a way to get a maybe less-costly formulation, or something, of a close enough scent into circulation.

Great stuff of course. Good news that it gets an edp treatment and thus a bit of variation.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Le Dandy is one of my rotation summer scents, despite the fact the marketing is all bogus on the Comte d'Orsay being a perfumer from 1830. (See Nigel Groom's "Perfume Presentations" and Ken Leach's "Perfume Handbook," 2nd edition, for more on the marketing of this company.) Beauty Encounter sells this online in the older EDT version (in the white box.)

The scent you can buy now is actually the new formula from the 1990s when the ownership changed and a new marketing strategy was brought in. I don't know how close this is to the original.

The newer EDP can be bought on eBay, but it's not the same thing as the EDT version, which I prefer. Less sillage and less crispness. Also, no more oakmoss due to new formulation.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

found at Beautyencounter a 6oz EDT Bottle for $120.00usd

and at eBay for 99usd

emm not a cheap one,huh

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel View Post
    found at Beautyencounter a 6oz EDT Bottle for $120.00usd

and at eBay for 99usd

emm not a cheap one,huh
    Parfums D'Orsay was immensely popular all the way through the 1960s, then fell out of favour for some reason.

The new ownership revived the brand as a niche company in the 1990s.

Le Dandy is a really good fragrance.

I agree, Hednic, le Dandy is superb. And I agree with Primrose, that the older EdT circa the '90's is better than the EdP that's just coming out, though to be honest there's not a huge difference. Personally, I suspect that the current situation in Europe vis a vis oak moss is causing many of our vintage favorites to be reformulated. The new EdP (that I had to order from the UK) seems slightly less well blended and definitely lacks in longevity, both of which could be from a removal of oak moss.

So far, I haven't had trouble finding the "older" stuff, so I've stocked up. If you haven't tried le Dandy, please do--it's amazing: strong without being overbearing, sweet without being cloying, fruity, boozy, and with a base like fragrant pipe tobacco. None of these are notes I'm normally attracted to, but together they're unique and lovely. This is now one of my favorite scents.

ANYtime I want a little extra special attention...
    I spray on Le Dandy EDT...The wife absolutely swoons over it...LoL
    I just purchased the EDP and to be honest...There is a slight variation and since the EDT is one of my faves...I can definitely detect the differences...No apple in the top and I get a real peachy top note....However, after the initial 15-20 mins it settles and becomes a bit more like the EDT....however, I still detect a difference that is not as good (The lack of Oakmoss like everyone is saying?) I HAD to try out the EDP and I suppose it will serve it's purpose...but I also just ordered the 200ml from beautyencounter...I cannot run out of this nectar...LoL
    also, the boozy note is less prominant in the EDP (which in my opinion is a bummer)

I'm a little suspicious about the insertion of the peach into the top notes. The pineapple in the old formula was unique - it didn't come across as "fruity" necessarily, but it was a great, tangy counterpart to the smokier, heavier elements. I guess I'm just suspicious, period.

Although Le Dandy was always characterized as a heavier, richer frag, I've always enjoyed it in hot weather - particularly the "Indian Summer" weather of September and October when it's hot and dry and you know the first cold rain of the season is just a week or two away.

I have a 2 mL sample spray of the EdT lying around here somewhere.

Along with my two samples of the Guerlain Arsene Lupins, I have been reluctant to actually try it. I think I am uncomfortable with the idea of unambiguous, unabashed dandyness.

Perhaps I'll get around to them one day. I am pleased to hear Le Dandy is worth pursuing.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22 View Post
    ANYtime I want a little extra special attention...
    I spray on Le Dandy EDT...The wife absolutely swoons over it...LoL
    I just purchased the EDP and to be honest...There is a slight variation and since the EDT is one of my faves...I can definitely detect the differences...No apple in the top and I get a real peachy top note....However, after the initial 15-20 mins it settles and becomes a bit more like the EDT....however, I still detect a difference that is not as good (The lack of Oakmoss like everyone is saying?) I HAD to try out the EDP and I suppose it will serve it's purpose...but I also just ordered the 200ml from beautyencounter...I cannot run out of this nectar...LoL
    also, the boozy note is less prominant in the EDP (which in my opinion is a bummer)
    Le Dandy by D'Orsay was originally sold as a men's scent but taken up by flappers and garconnes in the androgynous 1920s. Various launch dates say 1911 or 1923 or so.

I adore this scent, even thought I admit with a blush that it was the name that first caught my attention. I will reiterate the EDT is the best. Besides, they changed the coat of arms on the new EDP boxes. How do you "change" a coat of arms? Like the new Pepsi logo? Coats of arms are steeped in regulations and rules of history and tradition. You can't say, "Hey, we like this crown better!"

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    I have a 2 mL sample spray of the EdT lying around here somewhere.

Along with my two samples of the Guerlain Arsene Lupins, I have been reluctant to actually try it. I think I am uncomfortable with the idea of unambiguous, unabashed dandyness.

Perhaps I'll get around to them one day. I am pleased to hear Le Dandy is worth pursuing.
    As our Comte would have said, "Allez-y!" (Go for it!)

D'Orsay's Le Dandy and Guerlain's Arsene Lupin Dandy are two totally different scents.

Le Dandy is a crisp boozy scent with tobacco.

The Guerlain Dandy (only available as an EDP) is a true Guerlain, a marvelous violet/leather mixed with other florals and a hint of spice.

They are both wonderful in their own ways.