Code of Conduct

Exclamation Question about fragrances and age

Does the launch year of a fragrance influences the age it's aimed at?

Take this for an instance, if your father/uncle/whatever relative didn't smell like Azzaro PH, would you still say it's for old people ?

Also, do you think in 2050 (ofcourse, we won't get past 2012), if some college space-kid wears Acqua Di Gio, Bvlgari Aqva, other vintage fragrances, he'll get : "woooo you smell so old" kind of reactions ?
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Default Re: Question about fragrances and age

Like all human senses, our olfactory sense is highly informed by the environment, by the first impressions, by our first conscious impressions.
    So, if your father had worn JOOP!! in high doses, there is no escape, poor boy!...
    Ciao

Is Azzaro PH for "old people"? But then Shalimar is "for women" (sniffs arm), so I guess I'm out of the loop…

A scent might be considered a "classic", or no longer fits current trends, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will draw "smells old" comments. But if someone associates it with an older relative, etc., then maybe it will. M
    emories and mental associations have a lot to do with personal interpretations of a fragrance.

Marketing is another issue entirely, since companies have their own ideas of what to market to whom.

Re 2050: Perhaps. But you know, today's fads might be tomorrow's classics - so now's the time to stock up! Vintage Britney Spears anyone?

Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

IMO I don't believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    Also, do you think in 2050 (ofcourse, we won't get past 2012), if some college space-kid wears Acqua Di Gio, Bvlgari Aqva, other vintage fragrances, he'll get : "woooo you smell so old" kind of reactions ?
    I think there's a good chance he might unless styles suddenly stop in their tracks. Of course he might also get some people saying 'cool, love that retro vibe' or even 'wow, what IS that - never smelt anything like it'

Clearly there's a distinction between the style of scent being makreted to men in the late 70s & 80s from now - tastes change, new ingredients appear, cultural influences make their mark. Same in music and fashion. So the scent you wear, the music you listen to, the clothes you wear can - to an extent, at least - "date you".

But, notwithstanding the lack of Mysore Sandalwood, the fall off in the amount of Oakmoss that can be employed, and other factors to do with resources - I think we will also see some styles (or notes) that remain timeless, although they may be featured in slightly different settings.

I am also interested in spotting 'throwbacks'. I bought Lauder's recently released 'Brasil Dream for Men' in December 2009. From the look of the packaging and so on my guess is the target is late teens to mid 20s, yet it smells like it could sit comfortably alongside some of the early 80s era classic 'guy stuff' - herbal top, mossy bottom. AdG it ain't.

Interesting question - look forward to seing how others here view this.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 18th May 2010 at 05:34 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

In my opinion, pigeonholing fragrances in this way is kind of subjective, as some others have already suggested in this thread. Even when we talk about notes (which are incontrovertibly what they are, after all) we have disagreements.

What interests me in describing scents is not what is "old" or "young," "feminine" or "masculine," or "daytime," or "summertime," or "casual." All these terms are based on individual opinion or questionable conventions. I would rather know why people like a particular fragrance in terms of how it's made, or what emotions it evokes for them. That seems to me a much more fruitful discussion when talking about the creative arts. Yes, perfumes are made with an eye to social conventions, but conventions are made to to be changed, and vogues are made to be altered, for purposes of marketing mostly, if truth be known.

Convention is also made, at least for some, to be flouted. We like to be individuals where tastes are concerned, and not part of the herd. My watchword, along with Baudelaire and Rimbaud, would be "Épatez le bourgeois!" After all, isn't the bourgeoisie there just to be shocked to sh*t? Hmmm, the trouble is, they're not such good sports about it, the stuffed shirts!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 18th May 2010 at 02:47 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I very rarely meet someone who can carry off Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme or Fendi Uomo. You cannot wear these if you are under 25.
    Last edited by Asmo; 18th May 2010 at 04:02 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Frankly, this "age" thing just pisses me off.
    If something appeals to me I wear it - I refuse to pander to categorisation.

Lol! That cracks me up! Imagine ADG smelling antiquated and dated or a Britney frag "like an old lady scent"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Lol! That cracks me up! Imagine ADG smelling antiquated and dated or a Britney frag "like an old lady scent"
    It's inevitable.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.