Code of Conduct

Default First for a woman...now used by men: Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale

Eau de Cologne Imperiale was supposedly made in 1853 for Empress Eugenie, the Spanish consort of Napoleon III, nee Eugenia de Montijo. Supposely she suffered from headaches and this citrus scent with lavender helped soothed her.

I like this scent and look forward to taking it out now that warm weather approaches.

Why is this now listed as a men's scent in many retailers? Even Neiman Marcus had this under men's scents.

How do you fare with longevity, as this is an eau de Cologne?
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th May 2010 at 03:32 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: First for a woman...now used by men: Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale

This has always been my favorite summer night after shower scent. It is fresh, it is light, it is invigorating and it is soothing. It [unfortunately] is also very fleeting, but then again that is the nature of a true Eau. Well with the exception of Santa Maria Novella Eau de Cologne, which takes on a life of its own and lasts for hours and hours on me.
    I also think it is listed as a masculine scent just because of the "cologne" in the title. Whereas "parfum" or EdT is more implicitly feminine in connotation to most consumers.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Default Re: First for a woman...now used by men: Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale

Bonjour, Brielle87! I have missed you!

Yes, the true eaux scents don't last but they are wonderful for warm spring days and summer. I try to use some moisturiser on my skin to get a little longevity from this.

(I can see how the Empress herself enjoyed this while her husband cavorted with various courtisanes et cocottes--such as the English actress/courtesan Harriet Howard, introduced to the Emperor-to-be by none other than the Comte d'Orsay. She actually financed his coup d'etat to pay troops loyal to Prince Louis-Napoleon by selling some of her fabulous jewels and property.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    This has always been my favorite summer night after shower scent. It is fresh, it is light, it is invigorating and it is soothing. It [unfortunately] is also very fleeting, but then again that is the nature of a true Eau. Well with the exception of Santa Maria Novella Eau de Cologne, which takes on a life of its own and lasts for hours and hours on me. I also think it is listed as a masculine scent just because of the "cologne" in the title. Whereas "parfum" or EdT is more implicitly feminine in connotation to most consumers.
    This is true.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th May 2010 at 03:54 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thank you Primrose darlin', I have missed you as well; I am just so out of the loop you know.

Poor Eugenie, it is true she needed the Eau to deal with her Emperor, but she was a spit-fire also and gave him some runs for his money. I love finding out more and more tidbits of info you have about the Comte d'Orsay. I would have loved him, he sounds like a right cheeky monkey (a naughty yet fun type).
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Thank you Primrose darlin', I have missed you as well; I am just so out of the loop you know.

Poor Eugenie, it is true she needed the Eau to deal with her Emperor, but she was a spit-fire also and gave him some runs for his money. I love finding out more and more tidbits of info you have about the Comte d'Orsay. I would have loved him, he sounds like a right cheeky monkey (a naughty yet fun type).
    I really like wearing the Imperiale and I do think of Eugenie and all she suffered, including the death of her son Lou-Lou (Louis Jr.)

BTW, our dear Comte was a witty, intelligent fellow: fiercely French and full of l'argot in his speech, but full of Anglomania all the same. (His father took his wife and kids to London when Napoleon I went into exile.) He was an expert at speaking an amusing variety of Franglais! Such a shame he wasted his intelligence and talent. LOL!

All Guerlain's Eaux are excellent, all are short-lived. It is the nature of a good quality Eau de Cologne not to last for more than thirty minutes (one hour if you're lucky).

The best Guerlain Eau, in my humble opinion, is the less flamboyantly called Eau de Guerlain. The Imperiale is next in line.

Creed Citrus Bigarrade and Bois du Cedrat are even better.

Have to say Eau de Cologne lasts all of ten minuites on me. I did get the body lotion and had better staying power with it. I prefer and love Eau de Guerlain myself.

As for the reason, well these days I think people(the general public not Basenoters), see the word cologne and think men.
    DONNA

On guerlain.com all Eauxs are listed under womens fragrances ..
    -

Imperiale has a delicious opening, but is very short-lived on me.

My favorite of the traditional EDC from Guerlain is Eau de Cologne du Coq. Somehow it lasts on me too.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Imperiale has a delicious opening, but is very short-lived on me.

My favorite of the traditional EDC from Guerlain is Eau de Cologne du Coq. Somehow it lasts on me too.
    I have found that spraying on cotton clothing adds to the longevity just a little bit. I love Imperiale, but it's a fleeting pleasure.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    On guerlain.com all Eauxs are listed under womens fragrances ..
    That's what I thought.

I like Imperiale, however I am enjoying even more the vintage Imperiale Dry by Guerlain I bought last year. A unique eaux with a vibrant quinine accord.

I'd really like the scent of an eau but with longevity. I guess it would no longer be an eau...

I know Chloe makes a Neroli EDP with a strong citrus scent.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    That's what I thought.

I like Imperiale, however I am enjoying even more the vintage Imperiale Dry by Guerlain I bought last year. A unique eaux with a vibrant quinine accord.
    Eau de Guerlain is one which comes off a bit more masculine than others in the line due to the strong herbal/carraway component ..
    -

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Eau de Guerlain is one which comes off a bit more masculine than others in the line due to the strong herbal/carraway component ..
    Good for me then: I have a bottle (I traded for in a swap) on it's way to me any day now. (excited)