Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sur la Plage

Default Comme des Garcons - Wonderwood

A short video for the upcoming new fragrance from Comme des Garcons - Wonderwood:

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Comme des Garcons - Wonderwood

Love the name!

Hey! Lotsa pine cones there
    A walk in the woods, as directed by Guillermo del Toro.
    Well, THAT certainly got my attention!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Banned

"The scent is made up of three different types of woods, Oud, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Cypress wood and Gaiac wood. Woody notes: Patchouli, vetyver and synthetic woods: Javanol, Cashmeran and Pachminol."

Here's the bottle & box-

& some artwork:
    Last edited by teger; 18th May 2010 at 04:21 PM.

Hmmm... would prefer it if they spelled out the note pyramid instead. But yeah, this seems pretty interesting.

When are they going to launch this one? Sounds like it`ll be very dry

Count me in as interested.

Odysseusm: Thats what I was thinking. The film has a look thats somewhere between Guillermo Del Toro and those Tool music videos with the stop motion animation.

Like the sound of this , but thought the video was the making of nightmares !!!

Wow. Pretty great.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Like the sound of this , but thought the video was the making of nightmares !!!
    I with you there. Something about it gave me the creeps - it did not make me want to buy anything, it made me want to flee!

The Brothers Quay have been doing stop-motion animation for decades, and all their films are extremely creepy.

I really can't wait!!! This is truly exciting!!!
    Gary

I wonder how it will differ from their very dry, woody Monocle One: Hinoki.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I was so excited for this, until I saw the posted notes above. NO MORE OUD! Ugh, I hate the stuff. I'll still try this out, but my hopes have been severely lessened. I wonder if they are going to position this as a new addition to the CDG "core" fragrances, CDG Original, CDG2, CDG2Man, CDG 3, etc?
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 18th May 2010 at 10:03 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I couldn't bear to finish that video but I cannot wait to try these!

Blog Entries

I gotcher wonderwood right here, buddy...

Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Loved the video! Excited about the fragrance!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I am MR WONDERWOOD...Cool name for a frag..love to tell my girlfrriend what im wearing...
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for posting the pics of the boxes NEoTY26 - they're beautiful (as I expected).

Anyone know what song is, in the video? Reminds me of something the Kronos Quartet might record.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th May 2010 at 02:20 AM.

Sounds like they're throwing in every woody molecule and the kitchen sink cabinet into the juice. Strangely, there's no pine/fir balsam listed for the brew. I would say I'm intrigued but CdG last few offerings have left me high and quite dry. If I knew who the Perfumer was, then I may get excited depending of course who it is.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I'm very interested and I'm hopeful. This really sounds like "CdG" the way it should be. Let's wait and see.

As for the juice, I hope this is sufficiently different from CdG's many other woody fragrance to be worth notice.

Honestly, I think this would appeal to me more if fewer woods were invited to the party. A fragrance highlighting pine, rosewood, or cypress would probably pique my interest more than what sounds like a bit of a jumble.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Sounds like they're throwing in every woody molecule and the kitchen sink cabinet into the juice. Strangely, there's no pine/fir balsam listed for the brew. I would say I'm intrigued but CdG last few offerings have left me high and quite dry. If I knew who the Perfumer was, then I may get excited depending of course who it is.
    Turns out is is Antoine Lie (Gucci Rush, CdG Daphne, etc)

There is a video of him at the premier:

& one in french with Christian Astuguevieille the creative director talking about the fragrance (anyone care to translate? )

Pretentious and naïve, very Commes des Garçcons. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Christian says that the scent is very luxurious, beautiful, gets to the heart of wood... gives love for patchouli, incense, resin... a different sort of scent from the daily habit.... (that sort of thing)
    odysseusm

Hasn't CdG done enough renditions of wood?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Hasn't CdG done enough renditions of wood?
    IMO, you can never have enough wood.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    word.
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

(blushing)

Well, I can think of various situations where wood would not be too appropriate :P

Basenotes Institution

Perhaps a CdG version of Chene? Sounds good to me.

Sheesh, I simply meant woodland wood... *feels like a dummy*
    odysseusm

This sounds like good news! Can't wait to try it!

I hope that it has better longevity than Sequoia, and less priced than Hinoki.

Sur la Plage

More info from nstperfume.com:

Next up from Comme des Garçons will be Wonderwood, due to launch in late June:

An evocation of exuberance.
    A positive overdose of woods, woody notes and synthetic wood constructions (Wood gone mad).

Reportedly the “structure is very fluid with most of the WOOD IDEAS concentrated in the heart, rather than the base”; the notes include Madagascan pepper, bergamot, incense, nutmeg, cristalon (a floral fruity note with rosy, plum and apple nuances), cashmeran, gaiacwood, cedar, caraway, javanol (sandalwood), sandalwood, vetiver and oud.

Comme des Garçons Wonderwood will be available in 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum.

Wonderwood was developed by perfumer Antoine Lie.

Seriously, as to the translation-- my French is terrible, but it sounded like every other word was "bois", so I guess Wonderwood is going to be like Pinnochio being thrown into a wood chipper.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 8th June 2010 at 08:13 PM.

Wonderwood was developed by perfumer Antoine Lie.
    Can't say I'm too impressed with Lie's past works. The only one I own is Gucci Rush for Men which does the incense/woody thing very well but leaves me wanting more development sometimes.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I received a preview sample and have just spent the last three days wearing this so I could review it. I have found it to be a really interesting mosaic of wood notes and I found Antoine Lie did a nice job at finding notes to connect the woody aspects in all phases of the development. This is a wood fragrance to the nth degree as outside of a hint of spices on the far periphery almost everything about Wonderwood is all about the wood and for those of you who like wood I think this is going to be something you will enjoy.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I received a preview sample and have just spent the last three days wearing this so I could review it. I have found it to be a really interesting mosaic of wood notes and I found Antoine Lie did a nice job at finding notes to connect the woody aspects in all phases of the development. This is a wood fragrance to the nth degree as outside of a hint of spices on the far periphery almost everything about Wonderwood is all about the wood and for those of you who like wood I think this is going to be something you will enjoy.
    Ooh sounds lovely. Would you compare it at all SMM to Scent One: Hinoki - another CdG wood prominent scent?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th June 2010 at 12:50 AM.

The only Antoine Lie scents I have tried have been Sécrétions Magnifiques and Everlast 1910. Hmmmmmmm, what to expect?
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ooh sounds lovely. Would you compare it at all SMM to Scent One: Hinoki - another CdG wood prominent scent?
    No not really. I compared Wonderwood to both Hinoki and Sequoia and found it to be different. Hinoki has a rawer greener woodiness and Hinoki has an older mature woodiness to my nose.
    Wonderwood has a feel akin to when I visit my woodworking friend’s shop; the smell of many different kinds of woods. Wonderwood works from lighter to deeper woods and there was never a moment that it felt anything but woody on me.
    I know that this sounds like it would be really heavy but I tested it all weekend in the summer heat and there wasn’t a moment that I found it to be overwhelming. Instead I liked the light woody way it felt on me. I think Antoine Lie has perhaps made an all-weather wood fragrance.

Basenotes Institution

No not really. I compared Wonderwood to both Hinoki and Sequoia and found it to be different. Hinoki has a rawer greener woodiness and Hinoki has an older mature woodiness to my nose.
    Wonderwood has a feel akin to when I visit my woodworking friend’s shop; the smell of many different kinds of woods. Wonderwood works from lighter to deeper woods and there was never a moment that it felt anything but woody on me.
    I know that this sounds like it would be really heavy but I tested it all weekend in the summer heat and there wasn’t a moment that I found it to be overwhelming. Instead I liked the light woody way it felt on me. I think Antoine Lie has perhaps made an all-weather wood fragrance.
    It sounds like a summer friendly Chene by Serge Lutens.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th June 2010 at 01:34 PM.

It sounds like a summer friendly Chene by Serge Lutens.
    Yes that is an apt comparison i think. I willl actually put them on side-by-side later and see how close it really is.

The funky little boutique in my town will be getting WW in July. All the comments here so far sound very promising.
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

Yes that is an apt comparison i think. I willl actually put them on side-by-side later and see how close it really is.
    Chene is just so woody. I think I described it before as the smell of running your car into a big oak tree, and how it might smell if your body was flung out of your car and your head became wedged inside the trunk of the tree. Of course, I love that smell.

Chene is just so woody. I think I described it before as the smell of running your car into a big oak tree, and how it might smell if your body was flung out of your car and your head became wedged inside the trunk of the tree. Of course, I love that smell.
    YUP. Me, too. Favorite SL.

From the sound of things, WW might just be my HG. Or at least form a triumvirate with Chêne and Hinoki.

Can't wait!!
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?

Hah-hah, great image, mike! What a head trip!
    odysseusm

Spent last night comparing Chene with Wonderwood.
    Chene is definitely a heavier scent than Wonderwood but they are constructed much differently.
    I get mike’s analogy to feeling like you’re immersed in a tree with Chene.
    I return to my woodshop analogy with Wonderwood. It really feels like I am surrounded in wood and the smells of wood but not intensely so.
    I will be interested to hear what you all think once you get a chance to try it yourself.

Does Wonderwood give an oak impression? Chene certainly does.

Basenotes Institution

Ooh this sounds wonderful SMM - thank you for all of your patient responses.

((excited))

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Does Wonderwood give an oak impression? Chene certainly does.
    No the comparison I was trying to make to Chene was more on an intensity level.
    Wonderwood does not have any oak character and obviously Chene does.
    If it is oak that is the selling point for Chene to you then Wonderwood might not be something you'll dig. On the other hand I think if you were looking for something woody but lighter then Wonderwood just might fit the bill.

I am bumping this thread because I believe Wonderwood is available starting today at Dover Street Market. If any basenoters on that side of the pond have a chance to try this, please post your impressions.

Basenotes Institution

I am restraining myself from blind buying this. Seriously.

I am restraining myself from blind buying this. Seriously.
    I am not even trying to restrain myself Mike. I am resigned to buying this blind as soon as I find a site that will allow me a place to enter my credit card number for it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I am not even trying to restrain myself Mike. I am resigned to buying this blind as soon as I find a site that will allow me a place to enter my credit card number for it.
    That's the spirit! LOL

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I know it is hard for you to restrain yourself if wood is involved. Just make sure your card is not maxed out from your previous wood purchases.

Half Price Books just opened a new store north of of me.....When You walk in this store the scent of wood is in the air.....and it's wonderful.....I do Love wood scents so this sounds very good to me!!! If I like this I will add this to my CdG collection for sure.....Gary

I love Chene. Can't wait to try Wonderwood.

Lucky Scent have this now!

EDIT: It is available for pre-order!
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th June 2010 at 12:13 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Wow, this one sounds really good. I'm excited to try it but like many new releases of CDG, I'm always disappointed. I haven't liked anything the house has come out with since Series 3.