Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: Byredo Mister Marvelous

From nstperfume.com:

Byredo has launched Mister Marvelous, a new fragrance inspired by hair stylist Christiaan Houtenbos:

With the launch of Mister Marvelous, Byredo’s founder, Ben Gorham, has chosen to highlight a male figure who currently embodies his idea of this fragrance. The first ever Mister Marvelous features world renowned hair stylist Christiaan Houtenbos.

Marvelous is a grand word, is it not? As it rolls off the tongue, it feels quite like it means. And it has history; France’s post- revolutionary dandies called their equally exquisite ladies Les Marveileuses. Marvelous means wonderful, exquisite, and as- tonishing. With a bit of strangeness as well – as indicated by the old Latin mirabilis. A marvelous thing must be strange in that it must be like nothing else.

The notes feature mandarin leaves, neroli, green lavender, bamboo, black amber and cedarwood.

Byredo Mister Marvelous is available in 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: New Fragrance: Byredo Mister Marvelous

I'd love to know what this smells like... It sounds as if it could be a very nice gentle balance.... but it could be, oh, so wrong if any sweetness.... I hope not.

Blog Entries

I'm wearing a sample of this today - At its heart, it's a very heavy, burnt ammonia kind of smell (the direction Byredo's been going with M/Ink and their two ouds - or, if you can imagine something like Black Afgano but more harsh and chemical), with what I personally find to be a very out-of-place sweet bright citrus on top. It's quite interesting as a concept piece, but I'm not sure I like it that much. But it has kept me sniffing...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Thank for the heads up R! Glad to hear it isn't bland, even if it sounds like Mr. Marvelous died in a house-fire.

Hits the nose with the pungency of sulphur dioxide. Great if you like the rasping odour of those woody-amber chemicals (karanal, timberol), which I do. Sweetened up a bit with orangeflower or similar but is still very bold. It's crude and primitive, with an impact like tear gas. Ridiculous price, but not bad

To my nose Mister Marvelous smells just like Burberry's The Beat. I think cedarwood is the only common official note, but maybe they didn't write out all the stuff they put in. Kingofengland above lists the chemicals karanal and timberol, I wonder if those are ingredients in The Beat as well?

Anyhow a very linear scent. If you like it the first 5 min, you will like it for the rest of the duration -- unless you get bored with the lack of development. I'm only in my second hour as I write, so I cannot say anything about longevity.

@Mumsy,

It is not sweet at all. I like that it's dry and stern, but wouldn't mind one more dimension in the experience. Maybe it's there for your nose though.

Blog Entries

I remember liking three Byredos that I tried, and this was one of them. Not enough for an impulse buy, but enough to warrant another sniff next time. And I like The Beat (both men's and women's), so it makes sense.

After wearing Mister Marvelous for one day (hence getting used to the base notes) I can appreciate a greater complexity now after reapplying. The Mandarin sticks out.

While wearing Mister Marvelous today, I was reminded of Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens. I don't know if they share any notes, but maybe they are dry in the same sense if you see what I mean. Maybe my memory is not the best though.

It has the typical harsh woody-ambery base of many modern fragrances (Beyond Paradise For Men, several Baldessarini and many others). Pleasant if you like this kind of vibe but I suggest to try Platinum by I Profumi Del Forte for a more complex take on the same theme...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    It has the typical harsh woody-ambery base of many modern fragrances (Beyond Paradise For Men, several Baldessarini and many others). Pleasant if you like this kind of vibe but I suggest to try Platinum by I Profumi Del Forte for a more complex take on the same theme...
    Do you mean Versilia Platinum? It's the only one I can found (they got samples on Luckyscent). Seems to be a pretty classy perfume house, I had never heard about it. Thanks a lot for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Danjan Zoniel View Post
    Do you mean Versilia Platinum?
    Yep, sorry

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here