Code of Conduct

Default Battle of the Creeds: Silver Mountain Water vs. Himalaya

I've been going back and forth trying to decide whether to get a bottle of SMW or Himalaya. I've been circling both fragrances for years, spraying them at Neiman's on occasion and getting a sample vial here and there, but never taking the plunge and buying a full bottle of either.

Part of my issue is that I find SMW and Himalaya to be similar to one another (in fact, I've read several comments stating that Himalaya smells like a cross between SMW and MI). I've had more experience with Himalaya and have found it to be lacking in terms of longevity.

Does anybody have any experience with comparing these two scents? How would you rank them in terms of sillage and longevity?
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Default Re: Battle of the Creeds: Silver Mountain Water vs. Himalaya

Very sorry about the triplicate threads. I was having a computer issue.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

for me, Himalaya has better sillage AND longevity.

SMW is more unique, but it also doesn't fit every occasion. Better in the day than at night, better as an informal fragrance than one to wear out.

I think Himalaya has a much better drydown. SMW just seems to disappear over time, pretty linear. Himalaya, however, starts very citrusy and sporty, but then changes beautifully into a sweeter and extremely attractive scent. Takes a while to get there, maybe 2 hours, but it comes and it's beautiful.

Himalaya is the winner here.

Post Thanks / Like

^ Wow! I get the absolute different thing out of these two, and going by the reviews, I'd guess most others do to. SMW has really incredible longevity AND sillage, it's almost too strong, especially for the type of scent it is. Trust me, my friend put only 2-3 sprays out of my bottle of SMW, and he was leaving scent trails everywhere he went all night. Himalaya on the other hand has proven for me to have horrible longevity, which is why I chose not to purchase it a few years ago, when I wanted it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I bought Himalaya after testing SMW and MI. I found SMW and MI to be quite similar and Himalaya to be a bit different. I like Himalaya, but by no means love it. I wish I'd have bought SMW now though and will probably buy it at some point. I will not be restocking my Himalaya. IIIIIII

p.s I bought MI at the same time, never regretted this one
    Last edited by boosh; 18th May 2010 at 09:09 PM.

Mi is nice definitely my next Creed frag purchase along with GIT next to it.

Post Thanks / Like

SMW for me

I like both but find the blackcurrant note in SMW a bit to strong, I thought Green Valley also by Creed was a better alternative than SMW as the blackcurrant note is more subtle. Himalaya is more versatile and I find I can wear it at any time of the year and in any situation. On me both have good longevity with SMW lasting a bit longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of the two, I find SMW to be more original.

As for Himalaya being a cross between SMW and MI, I'd disagree. The only note they share is the typical Creed Ambergris, in the drydown.
    Himalaya is very very similar to Paco Rabanne XS. Ofcourse if you try to dissect them you'd differences, but to my nose the vibe they give out is very similar.

Longevity is slightly better with Himalaya though honestly longevity is dismal for both SMW & Himalaya, as is with almost all aquatic Creeds.

I'd say get SMW.

I have both and think that although SMW is more unique and Himalaya maybe a little bit "generic smelling", there are still more situations where Himalaya fits better than SMW. I have got quite good longevity with both, about 8+ hours, but I found that Himalayas sillage is better than SMW. But what I have experienced sillage and longevity might vary depending the patch etc... Still both have very nice drydown, I think! Himalayas drydown is more smooth and creamy comparing to SMW what I found.

My SMW is very strong with blackcurrant note and is not quite as fresh as many samples I have tried before. On the other hand, the fresher samples of SMW I tried, haven't got as good sillage or longevity as my strong blackcurrant SMW. But my Himalaya bottle then again smells very much the same than samples I have tried before, so it is hard to say. I hope you find the difference between the two!

Still I have to say that I prefer Green Valley, Millesime Imperial, Green Irish Tweed and especially Sélection Verte before Himalaya or Silver Mountain Water for Creeds. But if I have to say either Himalaya or SMW, I say Himalya because of the better drydown and found it more versatile. SMW might also have that "ink note", which might annoy. But trust your nose, it is still the best advice I can give!
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, where are the typical SMW proponents when you need them? I don't get sillage from everything and SMW is damn near overpowering!
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 19th May 2010 at 04:29 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

OK, I've got an update. I tried another couple of dabs from my sample of Himalaya and, while I absolutely LOVE the top notes, it seems to quickly fade to almost nothing. So I decided to go with SMW.

I've also owned Green Valley in the past, but unwisely decided to swap away a half full bottle a while back. I should have kept it. Also, I still have an old school gold bottle of MI, but I really don't use it anymore. It just sits on my shelf gathering dust, although it looks very cool doing it!

Brad
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Post Thanks / Like

After testing Himalaya, SMW and MI, I chose to purchase a bottle of Himalaya. SMW is nice enough, the blackcurrant note works well, but I find it a little too 'stoney'. It also did not last on me at all. Himalaya is very versatile. I understand how it might be considered 'generic' by some, especially in the top notes. As it dries down however, it becomes much richer and more interesting. On me it also lasts 8+ hours. It's definitely not loud; the sillage is controlled, but the scent really sticks to the skin whereas I found SMW (and MI) to be very fleeting.
    Looking for: Creed caps

I bought both. After wearing Himalaya it's one of those scent that don't smell very unique or captivating when you sniff it but, it's extremely enjoyable to wear. I don't find it very generic the more it wears, although at first it seems so. Silver Mountain Water is a fruity, peppery cold piercing scent whereas Himalaya seems rounded and generally the opposite of piercing. Nothing with either one, they both seem quite different.
    I enjoy both quite a bit.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    I enjoy both quite a bit.
    Same here.

Post Thanks / Like

Himalaya

These are all interesting takes on the two. On me, Himalaya has WAY more projection and longevity.

But at its core, it boils down to this for me: when I wear Silver Mountain Water, I feel special. When I wear Himalaya, I feel ordinary.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

SMW no doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    SMW no doubt.
    fo' sure
    Top 5 current fragrances:

1. Creed spice and wood
    2. Creed Jardin d'amalfi
    3. Creed pure white cologne
    4. Bond no 9 fire island
    5. Bond no 9 sag harbor
    * Also loving Montauk

SMW and Himalaya smell nothing alike to me. I do think PR XS smells very close to Himalaya however (PR is a bit sweeter though).

I am not a fan of SMW, but I do like Himalaya. I think Himalaya has slightly better projection, but SMW has slightly better longevity. Not enough ether way for that to be the deciding factor either way for these 2 however.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

Post Thanks / Like

Own both, Himalaya feels a tad old for me, and SMW can get boring fairly quickly, but is nice if you want to smell clean! (Which was what I was looking for at one time!)

SMW gets my vote.

Post Thanks / Like

I take SMW no question, the gasoline note in himalaya always put me off.

But It's been so long since I even smelled Himalaya, that now I'm going to test it again I remember liking the heavy musk&ambergris used in the drydown.

Post Thanks / Like

SMW here.

When I first tested Creeds my initial impression was that Himalaya might be a fave but after a good decant of it I realized that the "dirty comb" vibe that I was getting near the drydown just ruined it for me. Sometimes certain notes just really stick out and tuin a scent for me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Out of the two, I definitely prefer Himalaya. The piercing, sour, metallic black currant note in SMW is just too much for me. My only gripe about Himalaya is I wish it held onto the topnotes longer. I love the top and middle, but I don't care for ambergris, so the base is my least favorite part. Also, +1 for Green Valley. It's a great scent that should've never been discontinued.

These two are about the same for me.....Gary

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

These are two of my least favorite Creeds. If I had to pick one of the two, I would choose SMW, but only because Himalaya smells so terrible on my skin. I second the people that recommend Green Valley over SMW.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Himalaya is the clear winner out of these two. I only needed one wearing to know I wanted a bottle. When I got it I kinda regretted buying it so quickly but with every wearing I appreciate this scent more.

I've tested Silver Mountain Water numerous times and cannot convince myself it's bottle worthy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never got my head around either of these. I've never owned them, but have tested them in stores numerous times.

SMW has some weird notes (probably the tea tree), but otherwise it's very similar to MI and GIT in the dry-down (classic Creed ambergris/sandalwood base).
    Himalaya has that super-cool 'out of the freezer' scent which I can't get my head around. There's pine in there too but I can't seem to detect it very well.

Don't know if it's time to try these out again, but I certainly would have trouble knowing when and where to wear these!

Post Thanks / Like

I like both pretty much equally. They do not need to fight for my attention.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

Another one who prefers SMW here, although I like Himalaya too.

Good to see the love for Green Valley here too, you all know how much I love it, but SMW and GV are different times of the year fragrances for me. I prefer SMW in the winter, as for me it's "coldness" lends itself to that time of year. Same for Himalaya.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Himalaya for me. I apply it on top of MI. My skin seems to love the combo.