Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Derby and Hermes Equipage

I was able to bet a sample of Derby and it is indeed wonderful, but my first impression was, "I have smelled this before and I can't place it..."

I then thought of Equipage.

Any one else with this impression or is my nose off?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Guerlain Derby and Hermes Equipage

Funny, but when I got a sample of Derby (new formulation) a few days ago, I had exactly the same thought "I have smelled this before". I did a little trial by comparing it with four or five other scents I could think of as possible suspects and finally zeroed on the Equipage. The top notes are quite dissimilar, but from the middle to base development, there is a definite similarity. The words 'leathery chypre' came to mind (though not everyone would probably agree with this), but I still don't know what makes only these two similar to my nose in the later stages of their development.

Equipage is light and airy with musk as an important part of the base. Equipage is refreshing, and I don't see Derby like this at all. I like both, but neither gets worn too often. Equipage disappears in an hour, and Derby is a bit too much for casual wear (at least for me).

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Equipage is light and airy with musk as an important part of the base. Equipage is refreshing, and I don't see Derby like this at all. I like both, but neither gets worn too often. Equipage disappears in an hour, and Derby is a bit too much for casual wear (at least for me).
    I get more longevity with Derby for some reason. Equipage is indeed a bit lighter.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Of course, we may all be talking about different versions of both Derby and Equipage...

Quote Originally Posted by fjord View Post
    Of course, we may all be talking about different versions of both Derby and Equipage...
    (sigh) This is true...

Is your Derby sample from the the new one or from the old one? The new one really has something in common with Equipage, but Equipage on me has a very proeminent clove note that Derby doesn`t have. But yes, both have the same smoke woody and spice aura. The old one on me has a great oakmoss thing that neither the new Derby nor Equipage has.
    Was Equipage also reformulated? Or has the old bottle the same juice of the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Is your Derby sample from the the new one or from the old one? The new one really has something in common with Equipage, but Equipage on me has a very proeminent clove note that Derby doesn`t have. But yes, both have the same smoke woody and spice aura. The old one on me has a great oakmoss thing that neither the new Derby nor Equipage has.
    Was Equipage also reformulated? Or has the old bottle the same juice of the new one?
    The Derby is from the new forumulation, as is the Equipage.

The Equipage has a bit more "bite" to it, but they do have the same floral blend.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The Derby is from the new formulation, as is the Equipage.

The Equipage has a bit more "bite" to it, but they do have the same floral blend.
    Strangely enough, I have only ever smelled vintage Derby and Equipage. IMO, those two couldn't be more different. The Derby has that huge oakmoss/chypre thing, very biting. The Equipage has a folded softness to it, with the carnation and that cold pipe smell that I love so much.

If in fact the 'new' releases smell alike, that's good news for Derby fans as the Hermes is much more affordable and accessible.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th May 2010 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Strangely enough, I have only ever smelled vintage Derby and Equipage. IMO, those two couldn't be more different. The Derby has that huge oakmoss/chypre thing, very biting. The Equipage has a folded softness to it, with the carnation and that cold pipe smell that I love so much.

If in fact the 'new' releases smell alike, that's good news for Derby fans as the Hermes is much more affordable and accessible.
    True. I understand the new Derby (with cream-coloured ribbon) will go for $250 USD, and include that horrid bulb atomiser.

I have the old of each and don't notice any similarities.