Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question A*Men Longevity...over-hyped?

ive been trying to get an overall "picture" of this lately and the only thing ive heard from EVERYONE is that this thing lasts forever. weeeeeell, i agree it lasts long but at the same time, it doesnt. i put 3 sprays on (2 to chest, 1 to wirsts +press wrists together) to wear it. after around 7 hours i barely notice it, and around 8 its basically gone. what gives? i thought this stuff was supposed to be a power-house for longevity. and for the matter of projection, it seems to die down after TWO hours...i wear Hollister SoCal and it seems to last longer than A*Men and its an EDC ! all thats left of A*Men after 7 hours is a light tonka bean scent with a HINT of anything else that stayed, nothing thats even close to "THIS WILL LAST YOU FOR. E. VER."

either im doing something wrong, or my body chemistry demolishes the scent. ideas anyone? its been around 65 Fahrenheit lately so maybe the weather? either way its annoying me

Default Re: A*Men Longevity...over-hyped?

for me it lasts around 8-12. in many cases i will smell my wrists the next morning and i can still smell it

Basenotes Institution

Are you SURE it is gone? Is is that YOU don't smell it, but maybe if you ask someone else to smell, maybe THEY will smell it? Happens all of the time to me...it's called 'nose fatigue'.

Blog Entries

nah im sure its mostly gone. i can smell atleast a trace of something, especially something allegedly so strong. and ive found that breathing hot air re-starts the scent in a way, and when i do that i get nothing

I have to agree with the OP. Although the longevity certainly isn't bad, A*Men is far from the longest lasting fragrance I own. I can smell it on myself for about 8 hours, which is far from bad, but doesn't even come close to other beasts I wear like Van Cleef & Arpels, Mazzolari Lui, or PS Paul Sebastian, which have almost 24-hour longevity on my skin.

I wonder if OP is expecting it to pound hard for the whole time. It has a brutal opening, but then fades a bit.

Suggest asking others. Going through a lot of scent blindness and olfactory fatigues issues myself lately.

Blog Entries

A*Men is one fragrance I have heard much about but, I have never tried it. I guess I will put it on the to test list.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    A*Men is one fragrance I have heard much about but, I have never tried it. I guess I will put it on the to test list.
    It's a must try for you for sure. Don't think it will be your cup of tea, but you should see what all the fuss is always about on this one.
    One of the most polarizing frags in the Directory. 161 Positive/46 Neutral/88 Negative

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

'A*Men Longevity...over-hyped?' Nope, but it is for goste!

Dependent

I have come to the conclusion that it is my skin - on which, scents don't really get the best out of the longevity spectrum. I've test worn A Men on a couple of occasions, and I do not consider it a nuclear scent or anything near. Maybe I got a higher threshold for heavier/sweeter/cloying scents. I get probably 5-6 or so good hours out of it, then it just becomes very faded and not as noticeable to me as I would prefer. I also agree with Mike about nose fatigue. Sometimes, even with fragrances I am very familiar with, I have to remind myself that I am possibly getting some sensory fatigue, when I start to notice myself not getting whiffs of my SOTD just after 2-3 hours in. I also agree with the notion, that wearing a same frag a few days in a row can lead to lesser sensitivity - happens to me with certain frags that are dominated by certain notes. I highly suspect musk is one of them, though I still can't confirm.

I am from tropical SE Asia, and I have come to a personal conclusion (not a studied fact..) that weather does play a part in the longevity issue, along with skin type, olfactory fatigue, threshold et al. So I don't think you are quite alone on this.

It is still quite a great scent huh!
    Last edited by MFJ; 19th May 2010 at 02:22 PM.

Definitely not over hyped for longevity.

Amen last at least 12 hours on me, and I can easily detect it after 15 hours on my skin. However, i just hate the opening, it smells to me like ammoniac.
    Egoiste is another scent that last a great time on me, 10 hours. But it`s another one that I don`t like the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticcheese View Post
    ive been trying to get an overall "picture" of this lately and the only thing ive heard from EVERYONE is that this thing lasts forever. weeeeeell, i agree it lasts long but at the same time, it doesnt. i put 3 sprays on (2 to chest, 1 to wirsts +press wrists together) to wear it. after around 7 hours i barely notice it, and around 8 its basically gone. what gives? i thought this stuff was supposed to be a power-house for longevity. and for the matter of projection, it seems to die down after TWO hours...i wear Hollister SoCal and it seems to last longer than A*Men and its an EDC ! all thats left of A*Men after 7 hours is a light tonka bean scent with a HINT of anything else that stayed, nothing thats even close to "THIS WILL LAST YOU FOR. E. VER."

either im doing something wrong, or my body chemistry demolishes the scent. ideas anyone? its been around 65 Fahrenheit lately so maybe the weather? either way its annoying me
    this appears to be a common problem with new members. body chemistry has nothing to do with it.

i think some zinc (for sense of smell) would be good. say 15 mgs three times a day. and maybe some mullein, nettles, thyme as well.

a*men is a substantial fragrance that oozes from the pores long after you might not want it to.

It's not over-hyped. It's ninja. At least on myself lasts 16 hours +.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Maybe you should consider Joop! It's not in the exact same category as A*Men, but it is very sweet. A lot of gourmand fans such as myself enjoy Joop! Longevity is insane as is projection with just 1 spray!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    'A*Men Longevity...over-hyped?' Nope, but it is for goste!
    +1 here

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    ...body chemistry has nothing to do with it.

I agree that body chemistry seems to me to have little if anthing to do with how a fragrance smells on someone. However, I do believe that skin moisture or dryness has a lot to do with it. Skin that is dry will usually not hold onto a fragrance for as long as moisturized or oilier skin, hence less longevity. I also agree that one's own sense of smell has a lot to do with one's own perception of longevity too.

As for A*Men, my opinion on longevity is based also on my asking other people whether they can smell it on me.

i get about 16-24h after 3 sprays
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzw

Dependent

Oh man, I think it is time to retest A Men. I must sound like a crazy nut not getting the kind of longevity spoken here!

And thanks for the info on Zinc, Pluran, I never knew about its benefits. I think I will be looking out for some supplements.
    Last edited by MFJ; 19th May 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Try it with the A*Men All Over Shampoo or Axe Dark Temptation Body Wash to increase the longevity.
    There is no love in modern life
    There is no hope in modern life

I gave this a few full wearings recently from a decant spray. It does have good longevity but what I noticed was the extra long longevity on clothes in the form of the patchouli note. On skin, it was several hours but I don't think it was nuclear. Then again I enjoy sweet and loud fragrances and have a good tolerance for them. I think A*Men's reputation is mostly because of the opening and the novel use of the notes. Nuclear, longevity, etc., etc. or not, it's still a great fragrance.

Blog Entries

im curious, whats zinc got to do with anything? obviously something with the skin, but specifically?

i think it really is depending on the weather. my skin will change from dry to moisturized within minutes depending on the air. for example, the other day i wore le male and it was gone in 5 hours. FIVE HOURS! i was very annoyed obviously cause like A*Men its supposed to last a looong time. well i wore it today, a more humid, rainy day and it was still on after 9 hours, and its still there in traces after a shower. Its amazing how much of a role humidity will play

I believe he's asserting that zinc can improve your sense of smell.