Code of Conduct

Default Perfumes for personalities

Consider this a follow-up to the thread about perfumes for different ages:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/226...-wear-your-age

In that thread, many people claimed that age is not important - or at least not to the extent that personality is in choosing your scents.

So I guess bringing in a thread and asking people to qualify that statement somewhat is in order.

The impression I got from those posts, and with which I agree somewhat - is that there is a big divide between the scents worn by a mature, conservative type, be they 21 or 51, versus a more free-spirited, outdoorsy type.

How does everyone else view this?

Default Re: Perfumes for personalities

Depends , personally I have a lot of mature scents that would be deemed conservative and I have fresh, unisex fragrances that could be more modern or for free- spirited. Depends on the individual in my opinion.

I'm not sure whether my personality matches my fragrances, in all honesty. I'm a very reserved, quiet person, yet most of the fragrances I like are bold and loud. My fragrances match my aesthetics more than they match my personality, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I'm not sure whether my personality matches my fragrances, in all honesty. I'm a very reserved, quiet person, yet most of the fragrances I like are bold and loud. My fragrances match my aesthetics more than they match my personality, I think.
    Very well said!

I'm considerably opinionated yet friendly at the same time and I often find myself sporting Platinum Egoiste A LOT nowadays.

I have been surprised at the fragrances that men on here wear. Lots of, in my opinion, kids' stuff, is worn by men in their 40's. I agree with DavidBond: it depends on the person.

During the first periods of my fragrance passion, I used to only buy and wear the fragrances which, so I thought back then, closely mirrored my personality, but now I take great delight deliberately choosing even the frags which have nothing in common with my true self, just as a form of experimenting and of unconventional fun

It all depends on whether you wear fragrances for yourself, or for others.

If you wear fragrance for yourself, none of that matters. If you wear fragrance for others, it depends on what kind of vibe you want to convey. In that case though, I don't believe it's important that you match fragrance with your personality per se - it's sometimes even more interesting and compelling to smell a masculine fragrance on a woman, or a playful, modern fragrance on an old man, etc.

I agree with others that you should wear what you want, when you want, but a little bit of calculation and coordination (eg. wearing a playful frag to brighten up your serious attire, or simply to match your carefree personality) can go a long way when adding that final touch to your overall persona (ie. clothing style, personality, age, aura, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Depends on the individual in my opinion.
    Agree.

I mostly agree it depends on the person, but I think some frags do have a bit of young or mature vibe no doubt.

A guy in his 50s in a suit wearing A*Men or Le Male? An early 20s guy in a Hardy t-shirt/jeans wearing Eucris or Vintage Tabarome?

I guess I view of lot of it as attitude and style really.

I will wear anything my nose takes a liking to--regardless of fragrance category, season, marketing or gender label.

Period.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I wear what I like and maybe what I like is influenced by my personality. I go with the flow.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

IMHO, scents, age and personality can or cannot be related depending on the motivations of the wearer: if a scent is worn because of the blend itself, there is no relation between these variables whatsoever. Not, if worn because of the marketing concept behind the fragrance, you might as well consider these to be related.

(You can include gender to age and personality, but I don't want to start sterile discussions)

An early 20s guy in a Hardy t-shirt/jeans wearing Eucris or Vintage Tabarome?
    Well I'm not quite at that stage, but not far off. Actually I just wish I had vintage Tabarome.

But I'm a mid-20's guy with stretched ears whose usual attire is jeans and band t-shirts, but I generally wear fairly serious 'old' scents like Polo Modern, Vetiver or Fumurie Turque.

But I'd like to think that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. It sums up that I'm the typical politically-minded musician with a classical erudite streak, not just your usual young punk douchebag.

I can't argue that people will wear scents that are their own preference, but I would think there is some correlation between personality and the chosen scent and aesthetic

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I will wear anything my nose takes a liking to--regardless of fragrance category, season, marketing or gender label.

Period.
    +1 on that. Nobody tells me what scent to wear, or when to wear it, I decide, based on what I like. (as a coworker says... "end of story.")
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I'm an artistic type of guy with a personality full of contrasts and contradictions. This is partially reflected in my choice to wear Tiffany for Men, at times, with a T-shirt, flip flops and jeans. At other times, I've worn Black XS with a suit and tie. I enjoy the opposition of wardrobe and fragrance.

But, I'm most "at home" in fragrances that are dark, musky, and a bit old world (as well as possibly old fashioned.)
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I think I wear my personality insofar as I'm very type A and I like to be noticed. I like fumes that make a statement (or at the very least a decent sillage trail.... )
    I'm very active and pretty outdoorsy, but I find greens the hardest for me to wear. I like spicy, sensual things. Maybe I'm a spicy, sensual gal!

Quote Originally Posted by Mondrian View Post
    I can't argue that people will wear scents that are their own preference, but I would think there is some correlation between personality and the chosen scent and aesthetic
    Ultimately I don't think scent types fit personalities. Ultimately I don't think smells are language that "say" certain personalities or qualities or interests. I do however find interest in thinking about how, on a shallow level people (myself included as I play with such notions) engage in scent-in-life questions that are similar to "perfumes for certain personalities."
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

If my fragrance choices mirror my personality I must be seriously messed up

Moi? I am a sensual, somewhat mysterious person. I like vintage Guerlain classics such as Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit and Jicky...

Nope. Outgoing, extroverted, active, forceful - it's Tom Ford's Italian Cypress and Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand all the way!

Ah, Isfarkand. Contemplative, experienced, introverted. It's incense and woods. It's Hinoki and the entire CdG incense range and Let Me Play The Lion and L'air du desert marocain and L'air du rien...

Hey! I groove on L'air du rien myself, dude. And Vero Kern's Rubj and Serge Lutens Chypre Rouge and...

I think a woman is best served by simple elegance. Serge Lutens' Chêne and Fille en Aiguilles, Chanel's Cuir de Russie, Bel Respiro, Bois des Îles and No. 5, vintage Arpège, Annick Goutal's Sables.

Yes, simplicity. Apparent simplicity. Un Jardin en Méditerranée, Un Jardin sur le Nil, L'Eau d'Hiver...

Huh!! Experimentation! Discovery! WEIRD SHIT! Nasomatto! État Libre d'Orange! CBihateperfume! Gotta try Humiecki & Graef!

Ummm... what was the question again?
    Last edited by synergy; 20th May 2010 at 08:48 AM.
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?

DeepSilence

IMO, it's bilateral relation. I don't know have you been researched about Aromathrapy or not. It's about scent that can change your mood or your sickness. Likewise those can influence your behavior, maybe you will become serius, happy, depressed,... probabely you choose frangrances that to be match with your personality(except blind buys).
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 20th May 2010 at 05:12 PM.

I guess one's aesthetics is a portion of personality, so, yes I think by wearing aesthetically appealing fragrances you are acknowledging your personality.

It's interesting to think about how personality/identity might be influenced by sense of smell. I've begun to notice, in my very few months of exploring fragrance, that I'm increasingly attracted to grassy/woody/dry fragrances. At first, I thought this might be because I consider myself an outdoors person, though have begun to wonder if it isn't the other way around--maybe I've been attracted to being outside because I like the way it smells so much. Admittedly, not an answer to the question posed, just a snapshot of where my brain goes with these things...

I agree with the thought that it depends on the person. I am a friendly but reserved person and my wardrobe reflects that for the most part. But I can understand how people can want fragrances that fit many different moods.

I believe that our fragrance choices reflect our life experiences AND our personalities. I'm sure I'm drawn to marine fragrances and some lush florals because I grew up in the tropics. However, I think personality has the biggest influence. I'm an optimistic, forward-thinking person, casual/natural/naive versus polished/sophisticated/worldly, and fairly well-adjusted. I prefer cheerful, sunny, warm, well-balanced, harmonious, and innovative fragrances. Makes sense to me!

P.S. I also like to be in control, so I like fragrances that know their place. I refuse to be worn by a fragrance. :-)
    Last edited by Haunani; 22nd May 2010 at 06:18 AM.

I hardly ever think about matching my scent with a specific occassion, although there are some perfumes I don't wear to work (Avignon, Serge Noire). Usually perfume is a quick decision in the morning, and I normally don't think about my image or personality, just whatever feels good that day.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    ...Usually perfume is a quick decision in the morning.
    Wow, arwen_elf, this is so different from what I do. I plan ahead the night before, sometimes spending quite a bit of time thinking about it. Clothes usually follow the fragrance choice, and they don't matter as much. ;-) I wish I could be more spontaneous sometimes, but the planning is fun, too.