Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oudh Noir - Angela Flanders

Has anyone tried this one? It sounds interesting:

Woodsmoke, leather, a drift of tobacco. Night in the desert. Dark & dangerous, guaiacwood, cedarwood & juniper form the deep, exotic heart of this evocative fragrance, whilst patchouli and vetiver make a wonderfully long lasting base for the hauntingly sweet top note of agarwood or oudh, that most treasured of perfume ingredients.

http://www.angelaflanders-perfumer.c...cart-oudh.html

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oudh Noir - Angela Flanders

Nope, haven't tried any of them but I would certainly like to find a sample of Xanadu.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Nope, haven't tried any of them but I would certainly like to find a sample of Xanadu.
    Xanadu is also interesting too. They sell samples in the site and the fragrances are not pricey at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... I've never even heard of this line, yet there's at least a dozen I'm curious about now!

My bank account does NOT thank me, but I am about to try Oudh Noir, blind, based on those notes.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Thanks for the tip. It's a great looking site and very tempting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    My bank account does NOT thank me, but I am about to try Oudh Noir, blind, based on those notes.
    You have to agree to fess up about it before your purchase . . . . it's a new rule.

Post Thanks / Like

My account hates me for making her suffer so much lol As soon as my last samples order arrive i`ll buy some samples from this line to test and see if they are BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Has anyone tried this one? It sounds interesting:

Woodsmoke, leather, a drift of tobacco. Night in the desert. Dark & dangerous, guaiacwood, cedarwood & juniper form the deep, exotic heart of this evocative fragrance, whilst patchouli and vetiver make a wonderfully long lasting base for the hauntingly sweet top note of agarwood or oudh, that most treasured of perfume ingredients.

http://www.angelaflanders-perfumer.c...cart-oudh.html
    Got my 50 ml bottle of Oudh Noir in yesterday, and it's quite interesting. The top notes are quite patchouli forward on me... and the other notes make me think of hikes through old coniferous woods, incensy agarwood and cedar...earthiness is quite like the moist earthy woody smell that you get when you turn over a rotting log and reveal the crumbling to bits red heartwood beneath. The patchouli and vetiver do make for a smokiness and perhaps at first a little "musty" odor that subsides fairly quickly. I'd say that this is more of a patchouli-centered scent than oudh, but the balance is pretty good and makes it a better deal in my world of woody patchouli scents than CB's Patchouli Empire (I think that's the name of that one.). Would be a great scent for sitting in front of the fire in a cabin or for comforting daily wear... if you're in the mood for deep dark woods.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

Post Thanks / Like

Got my 50 ml bottle of Oudh Noir in yesterday, and it's quite interesting. The top notes are quite patchouli forward on me... and the other notes make me think of hikes through old coniferous woods, incensy agarwood and cedar...earthiness is quite like the moist earthy woody smell that you get when you turn over a rotting log and reveal the crumbling to bits red heartwood beneath. The patchouli and vetiver do make for a smokiness and perhaps at first a little "musty" odor that subsides fairly quickly. I'd say that this is more of a patchouli-centered scent than oudh, but the balance is pretty good and makes it a better deal in my world of woody patchouli scents than CB's Patchouli Empire (I think that's the name of that one.). Would be a great scent for sitting in front of the fire in a cabin or for comforting daily wear... if you're in the mood for deep dark woods.
    Thanks for the excellent review actiasluna! How does it compare to other patchouli scents? I've recently discovered that I cannot stand some patchouli frags. For example, I loved Coromandel in the past, but today the opening of it is quite painful to me...

rickbr... Oudh Noir is a bit of an enigma with the start...the top notes remind me of walking into a cabin in the woods, one that hasn't been opened up to the air for a while...A bit "dusty/musty/earthy..cedary". Compared to Coromandel's top it's not got the pipe-tobacco sweetness. Compared to CB Patchouli Empire it's not as "grassy/fresh"... The Oudh Noir top verges on a "bitter" mustiness that is not unpleasant, but would be if that were the only note to the scent. Definitely old wood. Then soon after that odd open, the patchouli comes in beneath a little sweeter almost tealike, with a slightly leathery tobacco note.. Where Coromandel goes all sweet, and Patchouli Empire stays grassy dirty "hippy" patchouli, the woods and vetiver in Oudh Noir take the scent in an entirely different direction. I likened it to a walk through a dark coniferous wood rather than Coromandel's breezy hillside picnic or Patchouli Empire's organic herbal tearoom full of every sort of patchouli. It's more along the lines of Montale Black Aoud without the rose or musk, and without the almost oleaginous thickness of the Montale.

Post Thanks / Like

rickbr... Oudh Noir is a bit of an enigma with the start...the top notes remind me of walking into a cabin in the woods, one that hasn't been opened up to the air for a while...A bit "dusty/musty/earthy..cedary". Compared to Coromandel's top it's not got the pipe-tobacco sweetness. Compared to CB Patchouli Empire it's not as "grassy/fresh"... The Oudh Noir top verges on a "bitter" mustiness that is not unpleasant, but would be if that were the only note to the scent. Definitely old wood. Then soon after that odd open, the patchouli comes in beneath a little sweeter almost tealike, with a slightly leathery tobacco note.. Where Coromandel goes all sweet, and Patchouli Empire stays grassy dirty "hippy" patchouli, the woods and vetiver in Oudh Noir take the scent in an entirely different direction. I likened it to a walk through a dark coniferous wood rather than Coromandel's breezy hillside picnic or Patchouli Empire's organic herbal tearoom full of every sort of patchouli. It's more along the lines of Montale Black Aoud without the rose or musk, and without the almost oleaginous thickness of the Montale.
    Thank you! You gave me an excellent reference, Black Aoud is a scent that I really enjoy, it'd be interesting something in that way but without rose or musk. I'll buy a sample as soon as I can (waiting, as usual, a lot of fragrances...)

AromiErotici

Has anyone worn Xanadu? That's the one I'm most interested in at the moment.