Code of Conduct

Default I love vetiver! What other notes have a similar vibe?

I think I just about found my 'Holy Grail' scent today: Sel Vetiver by The Different Company. It was love at first whiff. Before today, Encre Noire was one of my favorite fragrances from my collection, which got me trying out other vetiver scents. I've tried Vetiver by Guerlain, Creed, Annick Goutal, Etro before finally finding Sel Vetiver, so now I ready to move on and try something else.

But now that I know that my taste is the herbal and earthy vibe of vetiver, what would you recommend as the next note to start investigating? What fragrance is a good representation of this note?

Cheers!

Default Re: I love vetiver! What other notes have a similar vibe?

212 by Carolina Herrera is good. It has a grass note in it. Also, you could explore mint. Start with Cartier Roadster for a
    great take on mint.

I'm on the same boat.
    I think l'occitane's vetyver is pretty raw and a good herbal mix.
    kenzo's kenzoair intense is very similar to encre noire with subtle differences. do try it.

Basenotes Institution

Explore the fougere category. Start with some classic fougeres like Equipage by Hermes, Devin by Aramis, Fahrenheit by Christian Dior...to name a few.

I'd suggest to go for iris as the next note to investigate. Try Bois d'Iris by The Different Company, Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens, Iris Pallida by l'Artisan Parfumeur, Dior Homme and many others. Enjoy the journey !

oh you wanted another note.
    then, I would recommend oud as a note.
    I haven't actually tried any alcohol fragrances with oud, but I hear montale does it well.

My first note exploration was vetiver. Then came iris and then oud.
    Mu favourite herbal scents are Fougere Bengale (herbal tobacco), Angel Schlesser Man Oriental Edition (oud vibe and mediterrenean herbs) and Sables (the scent of a hot summer day in the mediterrenean country).

bois du portugal by creed has vetiver, original vetiver by creed as well if you have not tried it already.

Dry patchouli fragrances often have facets recalling vetiver - Coromandel comes to mind.

Tobacco and leather are good genres to investigate, as well as some woods - cedar and sandalwood are common vetiver companions.

I agree with those who said oud and iris are good places to hunt, especially drier irises like Iris Taizo and Iris Silver Mist.

+1 on all Suga said! (as I had a post eaten by the on-the-hour-post-eating-glitch that simplifies what I was going to say.)

(I'll add that Montale Black Aoud satisfies my dark, woody, grassy, earthy cravings - with a bonus of rose... and I'm a vetiver freak as well.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Interesting idea.
    I like the Iris suggestion, and Mike's fougere suggestion is great
    However, I have always really loved Leather and Tobacco as notes. There are some classic leather fragrances, and both of these notes host a whole range of fragrances. Neither are at all "like" vetiver as notes, but both have an earthy,masculine vibe.
    Happy hunting.
    -Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Thanks! I'm surprised with iris, because I'd imagine that it's just sort of soft floral note, not like vetiver at all. I actually have Dior Homme Intense, and I actually don't detect much of a floral note in there at all. But now, I'm going to go try out fragrances with this note, especially Bois d'Iris, since The Different Company is now my new favorite house!

As for fougere, I've got a couple of cheap 80s powerhouse types like Rive Gauche, Azzaro pH and Paco Rabanne pH, but I don't like this class of fragrances as much, because it was sooooo overused for men decades ago.

I'm already exploring leather, and I have mixed feelings about it, mainly because they generally tend to be too smooth (Daim Blond) or too jarring (Cuir Ottoman). Eau d'Hermes is my favorite right now, with the sharp citrus and distinctive but not overpowering leather. It's masculine and dark like vetiver, but I feel that it feels heavier and not as easy to wear.

Yeah, from the suggestions, I think I will try oudh and tabacco after iris. Thanks!

Vetiver and Cedar is a very pretty, earthy combination. You could try Terre d’Hermès and L’Air du desert marocain (Tauer) which is more spicy, also Red Vetyver (Montale), Kenzoair (Kenzo) if you like ouzo, and maybe English Breakfast (Mark Buxton) which is quite fresh. Happy exploring!
    Last edited by Lorag; 20th May 2010 at 08:21 AM.

I`d suggest to explore patchouli and immortelle.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Do try Soivohle's Blood Orange & Vetiver.

I love l'occitane's vetiver and Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire

Whao... Blood Orange & Vetiver sounds interesting. Where can I find a sample of it? It doesn't seem available from Luckyscent or the Perfumed Court.

I can't believe that I forgot about patchouli! Yeah, definitely will be trying it out. What is a good patchouli fragrance?

Since you like vetiver, a good patchouli fragrance would be Villoresi Patchouli. Vetiver interwoven with the patchouli in the base. Blood Orange & Vetiver is available directly from Soivohle Studios, and the sample will come beautifully packaged. While you're ordering from her, get Massive Patchouli, a patchouli and vetiver dream. I would also recommend Kiehl's PH Essence Oil as a very nice vibey vetiver and patchouli scent (lots of tobacco, too: a very brown scent, to borrow from Ody). Hard to find a sample, but not all that expensive anyway.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

DeepSilence

Pure Vetiver by Azzaro!
    Curve For Men(1996) vetiver is in the base. it was very green for me.

Patchouli has the same damp earth coolness that some vetiver has. Angelica has the same light green aspect that some vetiver has.
    But, Sel d' Vetiver is such a great scent that is pretty unique - so just go with that.

Some fragrances I like that have a similar vibe to Sel d' Vetiver are:

Vintage Naturals Patchouli by Demeter - orange, vetiver and patchouli
    Signorricci by Nina Ricci grapefruit/lemon with cedar
    Nightscape by Ulrich Lang - patchouli and light musk
    Angelique Sous la Pluie by Federic Malle - vetiver and angelica but with pepper instead of citrus.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    Thanks! I'm surprised with iris, because I'd imagine that it's just sort of soft floral note, not like vetiver at all. I actually have Dior Homme Intense, and I actually don't detect much of a floral note in there at all. But now, I'm going to go try out fragrances with this note, especially Bois d'Iris, since The Different Company is now my new favorite house!
    I can't smell any iris note in Dior Homme Intense either. As far as Dior Homme is concerned, here is what Now Smell This says about it: "The fragrance begins with a sweet blast of iris, cocoa and amber, perfectly blended and just the right strength, but then begins to fade into a slightly powdery amber accord with a mere hint of patchouli and lavender. "

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Patchouli has the same damp earth coolness that some vetiver has. Angelica has the same light green aspect that some vetiver has.
    But, Sel d' Vetiver is such a great scent that is pretty unique - so just go with that.

Some fragrances I like that have a similar vibe to Sel d' Vetiver are:

Vintage Naturals Patchouli by Demeter - orange, vetiver and patchouli
    Signorricci by Nina Ricci grapefruit/lemon with cedar
    Nightscape by Ulrich Lang - patchouli and light musk
    Angelique Sous la Pluie by Federic Malle - vetiver and angelica but with pepper instead of citrus.
    Whao... a couple more houses I've not tried before. Has Signorricci been discontinued? I don't see it in their current line up online.