Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Caron Pour Un Homme or Le Troisieme Homme (The Third Man)

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pour Un Homme

27 31.03%
  • Le Troisieme Homme (The Third Man)

60 68.97%

Question Caron Pour Un Homme or Le Troisieme Homme (The Third Man)?

I love both of these scents, which I find lavender-prominent with a hint of vanilla.

Which one, to you, is more floral?

Which do you prefer and why...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Caron Pour Un Homme or Le Troisieme Homme (The Third Man)?

Both of these are on my wishlist. I find The Third Man more floral. As for which I prefer, I'm not sure about that (so I didn't vote). I find The Third Man more formal, more suited to a dressed-up occasion, whereas Pour Un Homme seems more versatile, with a comforting quality to it. I wore it last Sunday with jeans and a T-shirt, and it worked well.

The Third Man is more floral, of course. But it also smells too mature for my taste. I choose Pour Un Homme because it is a good vanille scent and you can wear it anytime you want.

I prefer Pour Un Homme. I only tried Third Man once and it left an immediate bad impression. I need to revisit it again.

Troisieme is perhaps the best perfume of its kind. A masterpiece. While I respect puH as a historical landmark, I do not particularly care for either the vanilla or lavender in it anymore. For lavender I much prefer Creed's RSL, de Nicolai's Haute Provence and a number of others. And I only like vanilla in small doses.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Troisieme is perhaps the best perfume of its kind. A masterpiece. While I respect puH as a historical landmark, I do not particularly care for either the vanilla or lavender in it anymore. For lavender I much prefer Creed's RSL, de Nicolai's Haute Provence and a number of others. And I only like vanilla in small doses.
    I agree with this.

Sur la Plage

I love both, but if forced to choose one, it would be Le Troisieme Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Both are excellent. I prefer The Third Man - the more floral of the two.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 20th May 2010 at 06:19 AM.

I really like a light lavender vanilla, such as in Guerlain's Cologne Imperiale. It's just that as an eau, the longevity is fleeting.

As for vanilla, I often like it in Royal Delight, Mouchoir de Monsieur and Habit Rouge. (I did not like it in Tobacco Vanille or Cuir Beluga...too much of it...)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I think the poll is a little confusing and it's trying to measure more than one thing with just one vote.
    I'm not sure if you can consider Le Troisieme a lavender/vanilla. Yes, it's a complex floral. This is the one that's more "floral." I love it and it's a masterpiece. But if I'm forced to choose one scent, it'll (always) be PuH in any category.
    As a soliflor, PuH stands out in its simplicity of construction but the complexity of what it achieves in its amazing transformation and transitions between the lavender and vanilla/amber (more about amber for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    I think the poll is a little confusing and it's trying to measure more than one thing with just one vote.
    I'm not sure if you can consider Le Troisieme a lavender/vanilla. Yes, it's a complex floral. This is the one that's more "floral." I love it and it's a masterpiece. But if I'm forced to choose one scent, it'll (always) be PuH in any category.
    As a soliflor, PuH stands out in its simplicity of construction but the complexity of what it achieves in its amazing transformation and transitions between the lavender and vanilla/amber (more about amber for me).
    Sorry about the confusion, but rather than put up several polls all over the men's forum (Which do you prefer, and 2) Which one is more floral?) I thought I'd simply ask for a preference and then another question than can be answered in the thread.

Just trying to be economical.

Le troisieme homme because to me it's a deeper, richer and more complex fragrance. I like PuH too but i thinks it's just a little bit boring.
    Knize Ten !

Basenotes Institution

I can't vote because I have never smelled Le Troisieme Homme.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Le Troisieme Homme, the more floral and assertive of the two, by a nose..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I can't vote because I have never smelled Le Troisieme Homme.
    Same here. This thread reminds me that I have an unsampled mini. Time to try it, because I've recently fallen hard for Pour Un Homme. I will do a comparison and report back!

I usually scoff at claims of perfumes reminding one of old people, but Pour un Homme really does evoke for me the image of a stuffy old man. It's so very dull.

The Third Man, on the other hand, conjures up thoughts of a vibrant, inquisitive fellow, full of life.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I didn't find either overly floral, but I suppose The 3rd Man would be get my vote for that one due to its softness

I like both, but PuH better.

The Third Man.

I think that PuH is brilliant in it's evolution from Lavender to Vanilla. but the problem is that I don't like the way it handles either accord. The Lavender is way too harsh in the opening and vanilla is cloyingly sweet in the end.

The Third Man just brilliant from start to finish.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Thumbs up Re: Caron Pour Un Homme or Le Troisieme Homme (The Third Man)?

I love both, but my vote goes for POUR UN HOMME
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I own and love both. I don't think either is "floral" in the full sense of the word/concept. I think they're both worthy of being in even the simplest and smallest collections.

I'm not saying the following to be Mr.NoFun, Primrose, so don't take me having any even slight problem with this fine thread, but the two scents are so different and fit into life in such different ways that I don't think they're really matched for a battle between them. I voted for 3rd Man because I find it the more gravitating and riveting scent accomplishment, but I'm not comfortable voting against Pour un Homme at the same time. I wear Pour un Homme six times for every one time I wear 3rd Man because PuH has such great control of its elements and the general state of scent-being that it sets up. It always works for me and always makes me happy I'm wearing it. The lavender I like best in it lasts because of the other part of it. I'm not the forum's biggest vanilla fan, but the vanilla helps this scent greatly while still playing a far away second in this blend.

I've got a 70s bottle of PuH and a current bottle. I like them both too, but find more lavender and a rawer leaf in the '70s mix. I wear the current mix more often because it's so easily worn and will be easily replaced. It took me at least a dozen tests of PuH in a fragrance store before something hit me and I suddenly loved it. So it's simple, I mean to say, yet complicated as I tried to fit it to me, if that makes any sense.

Even though I voted for 3rd Man I would pick PuH if I had to choose one and only one of them to be my scent for all time. How nice it is that I can vote one way and comment the other way here! Hehehe.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Ah! L'embarras du choix... the burden of choice...

What to do?

When I'm asked at a birthday party if I want cake or ice cream, I have learned that the best answer is to say simply, "Yes, please." The same strategy could apply to these two Caron masculines. After all, if one is good, aren't two better?

Adopt this strategy, and instead of the burden of choice, you'll have l'embarras de richesses: the burden of riches!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 20th May 2010 at 08:54 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Which one, to you, is more floral?
    Le Troisième

They are top stars both = 5. I find PuH totally satisfactory and reassuring when I leave home in the morning. From what I have been told it also seems to outlast a fun evening and is pleasant even the morning to follow. I use Le Troisième for scheduled hours of happiness, and it never let me down either (matching my personal experiences with Bois du Portugal). To me, only Yatagan would offer a real alternative. There have been very few situations where Yat has ever been ideal for wearing. My nose loves it though, and it certainly stands apart from most other classic masculines.
    Last edited by narcus; 20th May 2010 at 10:16 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Wow....we seem very divided here. I always thought that PuH and Troisieme were very similar...at least to my nose. The Troisieme does have more floral.
    Last edited by Primrose; 20th May 2010 at 02:54 PM.

For me, Pour un Homme, every time, all the time

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I voted for 3rd Man because I find it the more gravitating and riveting scent accomplishment, but I'm not comfortable voting against Pour un Homme at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    The same strategy could apply to these two Caron masculines. After all, if one is good, aren't two better?
    I am with the Killer Bs on this one.

PuH is simplicity itself. Third Man is supercomtebrummellisticexpatdandyliscious.

Just buy them both.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 20th May 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    I am with the Killer Bs on this one.

PuH is simplicity itself. Third Man is supercomtebrummellisticexpatdandyliscious.

Just buy them both.
    Yes, I do have both!

Only one problem: George "Beau" Brummell was very adamant against any perfumes, as he saw it a foppish affectation of the old 18th century brocade-rouge-and-lace man. He believed that frequent bathing and clean linen was enough. In fact, he was quite neurotic about this, including his shaving, in which he'd pluck out any hairs the razor missed.

Thank goodness it look a Frenchman, of all people, the Comte d'Orsay, to say it was OK for men to use scent...or even bathe in it.

I`d buy both, since they aren`t so expensive...

By the way, does anybody know is there are differences on the juice of Le Troisiemme Homme and The Third Man?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I`d buy both, since they aren`t so expensive...

By the way, does anybody know is there are differences on the juice of Le Troisiemme Homme and The Third Man?
    Nothing, only the name. It's marketed as Le Troisieme Homme, The Third Man, or The 3rd Man. I have even seen it as Le 3eme Homme, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I have even seen it as Le 3eme Homme, too.
    This is, in fact, the current name according to Caron's website.

As for the choice presented, I too find it difficult to take sides. Pour Un Homme is incredibly versitle, equally at home in sloppy jeans and t-shirt or a sharp suit and tie. The Third Man is, in a word, beautiful. Both are high in the upper echelon of perfumery but it is my opinion Le 3eme Homme is the superior of the two. Just barely.

The Third Man for me. The lavender is brighter and it works great with the anise and the fern accord in the heart. PuH has a smoother base of vanilla and amber(the moss and cedar in 3rd man are too scratchy and dry for my taste.)
    -

Pour Un Homme

Le Troisieme...PUH has too much lavender for my taste.

Basenotes Plus

Primrose dear heart, I concur with Jaime. I cannot choose just one and will not make a "Sophie's Choice" between these two.

Sorry
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

3 man is wonderful, and I love the rose note it this one. It's a floral with class, never overwhelming, but present. I like all phases of 3rd Man....in fact just wore it last night. it is smooth, balanced and interesting.

I've not tried PUH, as I'm not a hugh lavender fan, so I cannot compare.

I voted for Le Troisieme. =) For me it's easier to wear.
    Last edited by volley2; 6th August 2011 at 02:40 AM.

Blog Entries

3me Homme for me! Pour un Homme is nice, but the smoky, waxy, and rose notes in 3me Homme are most awesome.

I find them very different. Love Pour un homme and find Third Man unwearable.

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    I usually scoff at claims of perfumes reminding one of old people, but Pour un Homme really does evoke for me the image of a stuffy old man. It's so very dull.

The Third Man, on the other hand, conjures up thoughts of a vibrant, inquisitive fellow, full of life.
    Very well put. I agree completely.

Basenotes Plus

I adore, love and admire both. They are, to me, both true classics and masterpieces.

Caron Pour Un Homme is more of a "scent", and definitely amazing in Vintage formulation...but I also have current formulation (and apply it a certain way to enjoy it). It is pure aromatherapy in a bottle and will never be "out-of-style". Timeless and will always be part of my collection. A 3-piece jazz band that is in perfect rhythm.

Le Troisieme Homme is a true "fragrance" versus a "scent" like CPuH - and is utterly fantastic! Vintage formulation is also superior, but current is also excellent. The composition is much richer (more components) and it wears accordingly. A fragrance to admire and could have easily been created 30-40 years earlier. It has a "Victorian" garden feel for me. A dandy, aromatic, citrus/floral opening with a great clove note in the heart and a base of brilliant vetiver, green moss and warm amber. It, too, will always be in my collection.

I chose not to vote - as one cannot choose between these two without feeling like they are leaving one of their dear friends to be alone. To me, a true aficionado of fragrance must have both in their collection at least from a perspective of understanding compositions and the difference between "scent" & "fragrance".

The house of Caron is brilliant and we should be grateful...I simply cannot pick one of these over the other.
    Last edited by ericrico; 30th June 2012 at 07:39 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Yatagan!

I love both. I find 3ieme Homme to be the more floral of the two. In fact the opening blast of clove makes me think of Coca Cola syrup. They are both wonderful, complex, classic perfumes, but Pour un Homme really hits all my buttons.

For me it would be 3rd homme by miles. Much more complex. Ich love the tobacco / ashtray notes. I really don't like PuH. Too much vanilla, i think it's ethyl vanilline. Smells very synthetic to me, not very well composed while 3rd homme seems much more balanced.