Code of Conduct

Default Not the best name for a fragrance

What do you think?

Poupee by Rochas - Women
    A totally feminine creation of jasmine, gardenia and orange blossoms. A beautiful floral arrangement made for any woman.

Default Re: Not the best name for a fragrance

It's a better name than Paris Hilton! ;P
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

"Poupee" is a pet name for a lover, don't you think? It depends on the context.

It's like calling someone "doll," or "babe."

I am thinking of YSL "Babydoll."
    Last edited by Primrose; 19th May 2010 at 09:44 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

What about Egp Facto's Poopoo Pidoo?

Of course, sometimes proper French pronunciation ruins everything. "Bandit is a cuir fragrance by Mr. Piguet," is both true, and yet cracks me up for obvious, childish reasons.

LOL Suga! (I loves me some Betty Boop!)

And yes, pronunciation (correct or otherwise) can make for some odd misunderstandings.

(retires to the fainting couch)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    LOL Suga! (I loves me some Betty Boop!)

And yes, pronunciation (correct or otherwise) can make for some odd misunderstandings.

(retires to the fainting couch)
    LOL! A man asking for a bottle of "cuir" anything is asking for odd looks... LOL!

Make sure you have some perfumed smelling salts, and have a handsome bystander offer you his handkerchief and have him loosen your corset... LOL! (I would prefer to take his mouchoir and offer to loosen his corset...)

http://www.basenotes.net/columnists/...tes-apr03.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 19th May 2010 at 09:45 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sur la Plage

Last edited by petruccijc; 19th May 2010 at 11:31 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Not to mention *most* of the ELdO scents... LOL!

As a civet lover I wouldn't be repelled by that name at all.

Blog Entries

lilybelle; (LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    As a civet lover I wouldn't be repelled by that name at all.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 20th May 2010 at 03:44 AM.

I found Pouppee very much fitting for a young, innocent girl. I don't see anything feminine (provided that by feminine you mean "grown-up woman") in it. So, the name fits the scent perfectly. :-)

Some companies are really reaching for a young teen market. I find Guerlain's Colours of Love a disgrace for such an old perfume house.

http://www.amazon.com/Colours-Guerla.../dp/B0013FIXV4

Though the fragrance is pretty good, I find, as a non-Spanish speaker (although I know that the "El" part means for him) that On El by J del Pozo does not stand out through anything and may be thus a rather plain fragrance name.

Not to mention, way up on the scale of "not too bright" frag names, FCUK Him and FCUK Her- although I also know that this abbreviation simply stands for French Connection UK and not...

I think French Connection UK did that on purpose. I find it incredibly obnoxious and adolescent, so much so that I have a FCUK Her sample that I can't bring myself to smell, even though for all I know it could be totally lovely.

For some reason, Charlie always annoyed me. The name just put me off.

Yeah, Charlie's a pretty blah name.

Norell sounds awful too -- like an electric razor or a skin ointment. Got blisters? Put some Norell on them, it'll clear them right up!

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

Norell sounds awful too -- like an electric razor or a skin ointment. Got blisters? Put some Norell on them, it'll clear them right up!
    In truth, all names have associations.

Think of Caron, Lagerfeld, Chanel, Piguet, Rochas...many are just names of designers and businesses. Truefitt and Hill sounds like a law firm or department store, but the toiletries and scents are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Some companies are really reaching for a young teen market. I find Guerlain's Colours of Love a disgrace for such an old perfume house.

http://www.amazon.com/Colours-Guerla.../dp/B0013FIXV4
    Oh yes it is awful. I find "Babydoll" pretty awful too.

I just recall the ads for Charlie having an inane and annoying jingle. Never even considered the scent because of that.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

It's the fragrance that's here today, and they CALL it -- CHAR-ley! A brand-new fragrance that's here to stay, and they CALL it ...-

Oh yes it is awful. I find "Babydoll" pretty awful too.
    Not the greatest name for sure, but I give it a pass cuz the fragrance is in my top 5. Just love the juice.

I just recall the ads for Charlie having an inane and annoying jingle. Never even considered the scent because of that.
    Me either. It bugged so much I wanted to draw a moustache on the ad woman striding in her pantsuit.

It's the fragrance that's here today, and they CALL it -- CHAR-ley! A brand-new fragrance that's here to stay, and they CALL it ...-
    ACK! Pass the ear bleach!

Yes! And Clinique sounds so medicinal. Can't bring myself to try Happy (another raised-eyebrow name). Can you imagine the awful (name) Noxzema putting out a fragrance like 'Noxzema Mystique de Nuit'?

I'm glad someone brought up Norell, which I think I may have subconsciously avoided just because I hate the name. It sounds to me like some brand of laminate flooring from the '70s.

In terms of irrational biases, Jo Malone sounds like a mobster name and Aqua di Parma makes me think of wet ham.

Also, I hate names with punctuation, like Joop! ( Like we can't hear you already? ) and the gender-confused Uomo? Moschino. I'm also not a fan of redundant letters, as in Xerjoff IriSss ( or Iri$$$, as I tend to call it ).

+ 1 for the FCUK series and adding ELdO's Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow.

I'm really having a blast as I read some of these names.....I will add Big Pony by RL.....Big Pony? This is really funny!!! I can hear the negative remarks already!!!
    Great Thread idea!!!
    Gary

Wet ham! Bwah!

I think Joop sounds ludicrous even without the exclamation point -- it has always made me assume that the frags smelled cheap and loud, although I have no idea what they're actually like.

Big Pony is BAD.

Nothing here, sorry.
    Last edited by whitelace; 21st May 2010 at 03:46 AM.

Exclamation Point is a horrible name, I don't know how the perfume smells, but I don't want to know.
    Evenstar

To me, the worst fragrance names are the ones that match what would have been a good name -- e.g. Notorious -- with a bland, uninspired fragrance. Ralph Lauren seems to have a talent for this, with Glamour and Romance as well. Guerlain 'Little Black Dress' fits the bill here too. I can't imagine anything less like a classic little black dress than that fragrance. They should have let Avon keep the name.

There was once a fragrance that was called Cie!. Which to a native french speaker means compagnie . Such a Lemoine et Cie/Lemoine et compagnie. It always confused me when I was younger..."Why would someone want to name a fragrance "compagnie (company)?"
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

ROTFL! Thanks for the jingle...

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    There was once a fragrance that was called Cie!. Which to a native french speaker means compagnie . Such a Lemoine et Cie/Lemoine et compagnie. It always confused me when I was younger..."Why would someone want to name a fragrance "compagnie (company)?"
    There is the vanilla concoction called "Ici"--meaning "here" in French. As opposed to "la"--"there."

Basenotes Institution

I think 'Ho Hang" is a pretty dreadful name.............

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I actually like Poupee and hadan't given the name much thought. The ELdO names are much more annoying to me as are "Juliet has a Gun" and "Shiloh" which I associate with the battlefield and some children's book about a dog.