Code of Conduct

Unhappy I'm failing to smell the magic in YSL Live Jazz

Hey Guys and Gals,

Recently, I picked up a bottle of YSL Live Jazz. It was not a blind buy, as I did have a sample. When I first sampled it, I thought it was a huge burst of mint and perhaps something else ( coriander or something alike). It pretty much smelled that way for the next 2 hours. I was about to sample it again but unfortunately, I crushed my sample vial by accident

So a few weeks back I picked up a bottle anyways, despite not being too impressed by my first impressions. I wanted something for hot summer days and because I dislike alot of "Sport" fragrances ( ie Polo Blue, Lanvin L'homme Sport...etc), I thought this would work well instead. The reviews, alot of them, mention the dry down reveals some hint of vanilla and ambergris. Plus, the hot weather would allow the mint to be more refreshing.

Now that the weather is quite hot, I have been sampling and wearing Live Jazz . The thing is, I don't seem to be getting along with this fragrance as I hoped. I have had 3 SotD's and a few samplings as well. I pretty much get a scent that only is detected on my chest ( on the arms, it seems to evaporate or get "eaten"). I also generally get a mint scent with some other notes ( coriander, as mentioned above is there). I don't get a hint of vanilla or what I thought would be a good base for a fragrance ( ambergris). It just seems like I am always smelling the same notes for the 5 or 6 hour duration of the fragrance.

There may be one thing though I should mention. Perhaps I don't realize the scent is changing and think that I am always smelling the same notes ? I don't know. I thought I would be able to recognize the change in accords.

I was a little concerned when I got my bottle, as the wrapping seemed to make it look as though the bottle had been sitting around for a while. It had some dirt like residue on it, but it was still BNIB. Besides, the sample vial I had intially smelled the same, although it would be nice to still have it for comparrions sake.

Most likely, I would not have went for a bottle of the fragrance was not admired by alot of Basenoters. Plus, I liked the idea of having another YSL. And the name of the scent ( and packaging) are aspect of the fragrance I like too. Shallow, I know...

Any thoughts or advice ? Anyone share the same experience with me ( with Live Jazz) ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Default Re: I'm failing to smell the magic in YSL Live Jazz

I too found little to love with Live Jazz. I got the mint/basil/cilantro/coriander notes and, as fantastic as those were, nothing else. No ambergris. No vanilla. It just disappeared quickly in both cool and hot (90F) weather regardless of where or how much I applied. My personal record of 10 sprays in a single application was with Live Jazz. Sadly this one was a big disappointment.
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 19th May 2010 at 07:43 PM.

I personally do not care for live jazz at all. you are not the only one.

I understand how Live Jazz could be seen as overrated by some. At first I thought it was a nice scent, but kind of simple. Over repeated wearings, especially on hot days, I found more and more magical qualities in this. I've got some real ambergris, and it can be an elusive thing to describe, but the part of Live Jazz that conveys ambergris is that salty texture that lurks beneath the citrus.

Live Jazz Mojito:

Rim tall glass with sea salt. Muddle mint, basil and cilantro in 1.5 oz. Absolut vanilla vodka. Add ice. Fill halfway with grapefruit juice. Top with DRY rhubarb soda. Garnish with twist of lemon peel.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Live Jazz Mojito:

Rim tall glass with sea salt. Muddle mint, basil and cilantro in 1.5 oz. Absolut vanilla vodka. Add ice. Fill halfway with grapefruit juice. Top with DRY rhubarb soda. Garnish with twist of lemon peel.
    That actually sounds pretty tasty! I think i'd lean toward the classic and choose rum instead, though.

I bought this blind recently and have also failed to warm up to it so far. The rhubarb and cilantro combo makes me a little queasy. I'll try it again in a month or two when it's really hot, but so far I'm not fond of it.

I don't think Live Jazz works best on really hot days. Like your experience, I too believe that it wears off rather quickly if worn in excessive heat. I wear it on 'warm' summer days. The trick with this one is to never overspray in an attempt to get better longevity. It gets cloying if it's excessively applied and the whole experience gets ruined anyways.

Unfortunately with Live Jazz you have to wait for perfect conditions to enjoy, IMO.

Thanks all for those reply's

Yes....cilantro....THAT is the note I smell as well ( thanks Docman). That particular note is quite distinct. It is nice to know I am not the only one that feels this way about Live Jazz. I will, however, give it another shot. Like Gupts mentioned, in perhaps not hot, but warm weather. Of course, for those that love it, then that is great as well. I envy you. There has been a few fragrances that seemingly work well for others, but with me, its more like " Huh?". And vice versa, I am sure.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I didn't like it at first either. I wasn't impressed.

It's weird, but the more you wear it, the less you notice the mint and coriander, and the more you notice the ambergris and cedar. In fact, the drydown is the best part. It's one of those fragrances that slowly grow on you, rather than wowing you at first sniff. It's more of a "background" scent if you ask me.

It needs better materials. The mint has a fuzzy synthy vibe, the grapefruit is decent enough, but the cedar notes need a lot of work. The formula of icy-bitter citrus, loads of spicy coriander and mint and an ambregris base is good, but it needs more $$$ to shine.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    It needs better materials. The mint has a fuzzy synthy vibe, the grapefruit is decent enough, but the cedar notes need a lot of work. The formula of icy-bitter citrus, loads of spicy coriander and mint and an ambregris base is good, but it needs more $$$ to shine.
    I'll admit that some of the notes don't smell quite natural (yeah, it's kind of synthy), but I wouldn't change a single note in Live Jazz. Every ingredient fits in perfectly and it's quite well balanced. For example, a more realistic mint might come off too sharp and jarring, while natural grapefruit oil could become sour and urine-like. Also, a higher quality cedar might end up being too dense, resulting in Live Jazz being too "intense" for the summer. The choice of ingredients also results in Live Jazz being a very unique fragrance among so many of the other aromatic fougere "clones" out there.

I'm a big fan of this stuff. I'd love to smell a "higher quality" Live Jazz, but there's no way it could pull off the same kind of vibe. Unlike Terre d'Hermes, there's no synthetic notes that I disagree with in this one.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 20th May 2010 at 04:42 AM.

I think you guys have said it all for me already. I've never gotten into Live Jazz either. I'm not big on Jazz as well.

My favorite LiveJazz is the member here by that username.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Now that the weather is quite hot, I have been sampling and wearing Live Jazz . The thing is, I don't seem to be getting along with this fragrance as I hoped. I have had 3 SotD's and a few samplings as well. I pretty much get a scent that only is detected on my chest ( on the arms, it seems to evaporate or get "eaten"). I also generally get a mint scent with some other notes ( coriander, as mentioned above is there). I don't get a hint of vanilla or what I thought would be a good base for a fragrance ( ambergris). It just seems like I am always smelling the same notes for the 5 or 6 hour duration of the fragrance.
    This was, almost verbatim, my experience with Live Jazz after I first purchased it.

What I came to realize was that I actually wasn't spraying enough. I spray most of my scents only once or twice but on skin, this one requires at least four sprays to come alive.

It is my SotD today and since I was feeling bold, I went with five to the chest after a shower and before I put my shirt on. Once the summer salad bit calmed down...voila, magic. The vanilla/ambergris bit that everyone talks about isn't sweet--still sour, actually--but it has a recognizable smiling warmth of some depth. I am with L'Aventurier on the drydown being the best part, although the fragrance as a whole is interesting, compelling even, because of the different phases.

Maybe you ought to give the sprayer a few extra clicks?
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 20th May 2010 at 04:55 PM.

I absolutely love it. I bought it blind and I instantly loved it from first sniff. It's a very "leafy" kind of mint (because of the herb note - coriander or whatever), but to me it just completely refreshes me with the citrusy mint. I do get a bit of the wood and vanilla, and it gets noticeably sweeter (though just slightly) on my skin, but as I said, I just love this fragrance so much. I agree with nevermore that you need a few extra sprays with this one though; I too go 4 sprays with this, and it lasts a respectable amount of time for a fresh scent (about 6 hours).

I think it may be overtaken soon as my no.1 "refreshing mint hot weather" fragrance, as I recently tried Guerlain's Herba Fresca and I absolutely LOOOOVE that too. Have a little sample/decant of it on the way to test it out further.

I've said love way too much in this post
    Last edited by Smeghead; 20th May 2010 at 05:23 PM.

I felt the same way about Live Jazz at first. As many have already said, it's often recommended as a summer scent because of its bright opening, but it is really more of a spring and fall scent (some even prefer it in the winter). Its not so much that the fragrance doesn't last in the heat. I think that its actual scent is light and the heat causes the fragrance to be too thin. I've found that in the 50-60 degree weather, the fragrance really shines, with the vanilla dry down being noticeably present. I just came to the same conclusion about Joop's Nightflight. Not really a HOT weather fragrance either.

Live Jazz isn't 'magical' by any means, just very very nice IMO.

Great to hear all your thoughts !

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post

Maybe you ought to give the sprayer a few extra clicks?
    Actually, I do give it a few extra sprays. I generally spray between 4-6 on most scents and this is no exception. Still not working unfortunately.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I've never warmed to it either.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Actually, I do give it a few extra sprays. I generally spray between 4-6 on most scents and this is no exception. Still not working unfortunately.
    Sorry to hear that.

I cannot imagine you will have any trouble selling it in the Marketplace, especially this time of year in the northern Hemisphere, but I say keep it. There is definitely something worth admiring/enjoying in there, so maybe bust it out every now and again to see if anything clicks.

EDIT: Of course, there is no shame in giving up on a scent if it isn't working for you. Maybe it just isn't your sort of thing.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 21st May 2010 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Sorry to hear that.

I cannot imagine you will have any trouble selling it in the Marketplace, especially this time of year in the northern Hemisphere, but I say keep it. There is definitely something worth admiring/enjoying in there, so maybe bust it out every now and again to see if anything clicks.

EDIT: Of course, there is no shame in giving up on a scent if it isn't working for you. Maybe it just isn't your sort of thing.
    Hey, thanks for your thoughts I will perhaps break it out once in a while. Just to see what happens, should anything change. I have noted that alot of my favorite scents were fragrances that did not seem so special in the earlier days of testing. Maybe I just need some time.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Alright, I dont know whether this enhances my temptation to pull the trigger on this (as I have been toying to for almost a year now) or lessens it.
    I think I smelled it before and i THINK i liked it but not sure.
    you people are not making it any easier.

I need the final push, should I go for this semi-blind?

Hell of a fragrance. One of the best warm weather scents. Great with sweat. A citrus fougere, fresh enough with plenty of substance and bite to keep the story compelling. Made with adequate raw materials. Hard to fault it really. I often find grapefruit cloying, but not here. There are plenty of dry herbs to keep it cool. I have no idea if the current formulation is as good as the fragrance used to be.

Either way, my juice is much better than most anything else like it no matter how much it costs. Live Jazz is better than the cobweb Jazz (fougere), which is still better than many, but a little flat and perhaps dated, and not one I ever loved. I should try it again.

Pierre Bourdon is a great perfumer (now retired) and Live Jazz is one of his best.

Edit: I wasn't impressed initially and it was a year or so before I wore it with any regularity. I still don't wear it much but I think it's a quality fragrance. Much better than the majority of similar types on Luckyscent that sell for $150 or more.
    Last edited by pluran; 22nd May 2010 at 03:12 AM.

I wasn't really into it at first, mainly because I don't even like the taste of cilantro. But now I love it, mainly because the cilantro note is really unique amongst other summer scents, and this makes it interesting for me.

This is unusual, but try if you are about to give up on LJ: Leave the bottle in a car for one day, during a warm day, but make sure it is protected from direct sunlight. The warmth will "cure" the scents and bring out the lower note of ambergris. This permanently changed my bottle, and I have enjoyed more since.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I am putting Live Jazz back in front for a hot summer. Last year it was an amazing wear when the temp hovered over 90F
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Well, surely I will be giving this Live Jazz another chance now. I will give it some time, however. Then go back.

It is always great to have a reshreshing summer fragrance. Summer fragrances is an area where I struggle at the moment.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I'm new to this fragrance world.
    I've bought this cause the name and the good reviews found here in basenotes.
    For me LIVE JAZZ is just a very very simple GREEN/HERBAL fragrance with good longevity and sillage, it's good to have regarding the price.

I have Rive Gauche too and noticed that YSL frags have more natural notes and seems to be non synthetic comparing to another mainstream frag houses.
    Last edited by dickjones; 24th May 2010 at 02:25 PM.

I have Jazz Prestige and I don't care much for it.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Despite my name, I agree with many of the negative assessments here, or at least I see where they're coming from. Live Jazz is definitely an unforgiving scent. Sharp citrus and sour, almost grating herbs dominate the opening. Those notes do stick around for a long time before mellowing out.

Fortunately, I like that bracing slap-in-the-face feel in my scents, so I don't mind it. Just a matter of taste.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I use it as deodorant from time to time. Or well, in a place where I usually wear deodorant. I felt it's magic today, but this time sprayed to my chest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Despite my name, I agree with many of the negative assessments here, or at least I see where they're coming from. Live Jazz is definitely an unforgiving scent. Sharp citrus and sour, almost grating herbs dominate the opening. Those notes do stick around for a long time before mellowing out.
    I think LiveJazz's description of Live Jazz is spot on. I wore it for the first time Saturday, and I'm really mixed on this one. I thought I had actually found a YSL I liked, especially in the dry down. But it just stuck around, and stuck around, and I really got tired of smelling it. I don't know. I don't think I'm on the "hate it" side, but I'm not in the "love it" side either.

I had the same problem with it too. I just couldn't feel the love for Live Jazz. I tried and tried to fall in love with it even wearing it everyday to summer school and it just never happened. It smelled too bitter and synthetic to me. Although i did like the icy feel to it the bitterness kept pushing me away from smelling it. I ended up getting tired of it and gave it to my brother and weird enough it smells a lot better on him than on me. And my mom said its the best fragrance in my collection. I probably wont buy it again unless is a gift for my brother.