Code of Conduct

Thread: Givenchy III.

Blog Entries

Question Givenchy III.

I have noticed that Givenchy III is almost impossible to find online. Is there a reason for that? I understand this is a good fragrance with unisex properties hence the interest.

Default Re: Givenchy III.

It is a beautiful fragrance, I wore it as a teen before even knowing what a chypre is.

Well it is discontinued for a start, I don't even know when this happen? The only place I see it is ebay but never bought from there. But I have never seen it in discount stores as you do with most discontinued Givenchys etc.
    DONNA

It's still in production: http://www.1stperfume.com/ornoirfetsp33.html
    The re-make is quite nice, although I've heard its longevity isn't as good as the original version.

Unhappy Re: Givenchy III.

I was going to sample the reissue today but minutes after applying, I accidentally sprayed over it with my SotD.

Will give it another try tonight or tomorrow.

I echo Mr. Guyer's concern about the longevity, as I would expect it to have very little real oakmoss--which sounds key to GIII's composition, if I have pegged it right.
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 20th May 2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Compulsive editing tic

Basenotes Plus

I found it about 2 years ago in Nordstroms....the reissue, I mean. It's ok, very fresh, "soapish" chypre, imo. There are plenty of others out there with much more personality but I then again, I prefer leathery chypres. GIII is green, green, green & dry. It last's forever and a day on my skin. I'd love to smell it on a guy...think it would be amazing.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I hear this is like Hermes Amazone.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Here are the notes from the 1970 version:
    Givenchy III (1970 Chypre-Floral Animalic)
    Top Notes: Aldehydes, galbanum, peach, bergamot, gardenia
    Heart Notes: Jasmine, jonquil, carnation, rose, lily of the valley, orris
    Base Notes: Amber, patchouli, oakmoss, myrrh, vetiver, castoreum

Re-issue notes are:
    Top notes include galbanum ("green" notes), bergamot, aldehydes, and gardenia. Middle notes include jasmine, carnation, rose, lily of the valley, and orris. The base notes include amber, patchouli, oakmoss, myrrh, and vetiver.

I tried both of these, one on the back of each hand. There are differences right away. The main one is that the original smells "softer" and the dry down is definitely much more ambery. You can tell that the two scents are related but the reissue is bright, shiny, jump up & down green, until it dries down.

My personal preference is for the original & of course, that's the one I have but a sample.
    Last edited by RHM; 22nd May 2010 at 12:37 AM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Its not as strident as Amazone. I love GIII, but had to wash Amazone off when I tried it, it was so bitter green.

Wearing the vintage right now.

First hour, plenty of galbanum and oakmoss (the good stuff). Florals attempting to burst through. Aldehydes and Castoreum holding down the fort.

We'll see what happens.

for swap/sale:

Another reformulation that makes one feel sad. I love green chypres and the vintage is wonderful, at the cleaner end of the spectrum perhaps, but still solid and mossy.

The less said about the current stuff, the better.

cacio

One of my fave fragrances of all times. The current version smells waaaay cleaner and more woody-masculine than the vintage and no, it's no good news.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

It got rootier and more floral. The animalic note kept weaving in and out for the rest of the time.

for swap/sale:

Happy to share, mine's not getting love these days. So PM in case you're interested.

Basenotes Member

I was lucky enough to find the vintage version at an online retailer in Australia - it certainly wasn't discounted but it was unopened and in good condition. It definitely has a sexy 70s silk-blouse-and-tan-boots vibe to it. Gorgeous.

There's a reason that original Givenchy III is really hard to find- it's because I've bought it already

I've got a rather impressive stockpile of the parfum because I don't want to ever run out and have to use anything reformulated. There's a cool box full of dessicant in my cellar that smells fabulous!