Code of Conduct

Default Holy Pilgrimage to the Creed Boutique

In New York City once again for business, I finally had a couple of hours to myself. I bolted out of the run-down business hotel that my company put me up in (“The town’s booked and this one’s cheap”), and walked a good 20-some blocks to 67th and Madison.

As I got closer to the store my heart started racing. At last I would see the North American shrine to Creed, probably my favorite fragrance house in the entire world.

Finally I reached the corner of 67th and Madison – and there it is! It’s really a bit smaller than you might imagine from looking at photos of it. But that’s OK, because inside is a full array of Creed’s wonderful products.

I rushed in breathlessly and started babbling to the helpful and cheery sales associates. “Wow, I’m here. I can’t believe it. I’ve always wanted to see this place.”

Well, almost always. It’s less than a year old, right? From the first mention of it on basenotes, “Creed Boutique to open in Manhattan,” I was enthralled. I simply could not wait to visit.

Anyway, back inside the store, there’s a huge stockpile of every Creed that’s in production, and the cheery SAs were more than delighted to chat with me about them. Of course I had to show off a little. “Have you tried Windsor yet?” “Why yes, I own Windsor. Love it. I’m wearing Vintage Tabarome today.” The SAs faces lit up like Christmas trees. You could see in on their faces: “We have a live one here. . .”

The guys proceeded to chat with me about Creed’s upcoming releases. I jumped ahead. “Do you have Woods and Spices yet?” “No, that one won’t be released until fall.” “Aventis? That one’s supposed to be woody, right?” “Well, it’s kind of a secret right now. Maybe a green one.” It was then that I spotted a bottle of Sublime Vanille, just sitting right out for the whole world to sample. “Mind if I have a spray?” “No, go right ahead.” A quick spritz to the back of my hand. Ahhhhhh. . . it IS a vanilla that men can wear. Very nice.

About that time the fragrance geek in me came out all the way. I whipped out my cell phone camera, and said, “My friends won’t believe I actually got to see this. I have to take some pictures.” So I snapped a quick one of a big, beautiful display of virgin, boxed Creeds. Sheer beauty. The sales guys behind the counter were beaming. “Hey, stay there. I want to take your picture.” I snapped a good one of the two cheery guys, and told them I’d email a copy. One of them gave me his card, which has his email address on it, and he helpfully asked, “Would you like us to contact you when Aventis comes out this summer?” “Yes, that would be wonderful.”

I then handed my cell phone to one of the SAs and asked if he could take a picture of me in front of a big display of Creeds. You can tell I’m having a good time. [No, I am too shy to post the photo here. . .]

I finally bid adieu to the gentlemen, shaking their hands and promising to return soon. I strolled down Madison with a big smile on my face, discreetly sniffing the Sublime Vanille on the back of my hand. Sublime indeed.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 21st May 2010 at 12:48 AM.

Default Re: Holy Pilgramage to the Creed Boutique

Did you get to see any of the royal letters that are supposed to be on display there? http://blog.creedboutique.com/breaki...ters/#more-150
    -

Default Re: Holy Pilgramage to the Creed Boutique

DAMN! I forgot to look. It's a good excuse to go back now. Thanks!

Default Re: Holy Pilgrimage to the Creed Boutique

I am very jealous I want to go there too!!!, sublime vanille smells good on a female, to me it does not have anything masculine, acier makes their vanilla more manly in my opinion.

I understand the Comte d'Orsay bought clothes from Henry Creed in the 1830s, and tradesmen back in those days exhibited Royal Warrants, but also signs that might have said, "The Comte d'Orsay patronises this establishment."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Did you ask them which Creed chicks dig?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Wait, are there pictures!?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

No pics here. There are several places online where you can find better pics than the crappy ones I snapped with my cell phone. I don't think it's right to post pics of unsuspecting SAs without asking for permission first. And no, I don't want to post my pic on this story. It's kind of fun, but so geeky it's embarrasing. I just thought the basenoters might be able to relate. So goofy, I know. But it really was fun to visit there. If you like Creed products, and you're in the area, you should drop by. They should sell postcards and t-shirts, too.

Quote Originally Posted by azsmells View Post
    did you ask them which creed chicks dig?
    lol

Actually, I would love a Creed t-shirt.

Be careful mrcologneguy, that Sublime Vanille is tempting you...
    Last edited by StylinLA; 21st May 2010 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    It's kind of fun, but so geeky it's embarrasing. I
    I know what you mean. This sentence also describes my feelings about a number of perfume related things =X

Basenotes Institution

Did you see / smell any of the home / room sprays? I remember bumping into some of them at Neiman Marcus once...

Missed the room sprays, and I'm kicking myself for missing them, too. I was too in awe of the big stacks of perfume boxes. When I walked in, one of the sales guys was stocking them on a wall, like they were baked beans in a grocery store. I could only think, "Wow, how fun. I want that job." It was just kind of overwhelming to see that much Creed stock in one place. I need to go back the next time I'm in town.

Missed the room sprays, and I'm kicking myself for missing them, too. I was too in awe of the big stacks of perfume boxes. When I walked in, one of the sales guys was stocking them on a wall, like they were baked beans in a grocery store. I could only think, "Wow, how fun. I want that job." It was just kind of overwhelming to see that much Creed stock in one place. I need to go back the next time I'm in town.
    Like a kid in a candy store lol

How can people miss so many things in such a tiny store ?
    -

I love your enthusiasm

I reacted the same way when I stumbled unexpectedly into a huge in-store Creed display in a store in Lousiville, KY, several years ago. I was a wide-eyed kid in a candy store. I sampled Royal English Leather and bought it soon afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    He was looking for an undiscovered flacon of Vintage Tabarome.

I work with a funny, sassy woman who uses this same answer several times a day: I know, right?

The only products I remember seeing that weren't perfumes were Creed atomizers.

Part of the issue: Creed's packaging is 100% the stately white boxes; i.e., it all looks alike. Except for the large, impressive flacon boxes, to which my eye was naturally drawn. I think that's the part that blew me away the most: big stacks of flacon boxes. That, and an actual Creed tester, the 2.5 oz size, of Windsor. You can only imagine the extreme collectibility of that item. It's never been released for public sale in that size. The BN geek in me could only think "Oh. . . my. . . God. . . and it's just sitting right there for the public to touch and use. . ."

Now, honestly, I'm not that much of a collector for collecting's sake, but after watching the buy/sell/trade frenzy for Windsor flacons on this site - frenzy based in large part on rarity and collectibility - well sure, I was standing there thinking, "That little bottle is worth more than my next two house payments."

Not to say that Windsor isn't a fine fragrance on its own, though.

Regarding Windsor, one of the SAs stated, "It's going to be released again in the fall, you know." I jumped on that one. "Really? Do think they're going to change it in any way?" This is in regard to a previous thread in which the honorable Mr. Dullah and myself have expressed interest in seeing if the packaging will be changed in any way, and/or if the scent will differ, even in just the slightest way. Any kind of change would be welcomed by purchasers of the original, "one-time-only" release, if for nothing else collectibility's sake. Plus, I am interested in seeing if it's tweaked in any way - or even if they can exactly match the first batch, since it's so full of subtle notes, and tricky development. Anyway, the SA stated, "Oh, I don't know, probably not," in part, no doubt, because it was pretty rude of me to suggest that Windsor might need some kind of change.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 22nd May 2010 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    He was looking for an undiscovered flacon of Vintage Tabarome.
    Ha ha. It's like the new Steven Spielberg/Harrison Ford movie, "Indiana Jones and the Vintage Tabarome."
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 22nd May 2010 at 02:40 AM.

Ha ha. It's like the new Steven Spielberg/Harrison Ford movie, "Indiana Jones and the Vintage Tabarome."
    i wish they had a flacon.

i wish they had a flacon.

Blog Entries

LOL

Yup. It's the SHOCK and AWE of being in the presence of SO MUCH CREED!

And, yes, I WILL be just as starry-eyed when I finally visit the place myself.

Thanks for the great write-up, mrcologneguy!

Forgive the thread necromancy. I'd promised someone a loooong time ago I'd post after visiting the Shrine of St. Olivier in New York and giving the company a fresh look, to either proclaim my conversion or renew my heresy (which, to be clear, was largely limited to their marketing). I like to keep promises, even if it's the wrong thread and I don't recall who I made it to.

...it was okay. Turin was too harsh on them although not by much; many of the one/two star frags should be bumped up one. Nothing registered as a five. Overall the collection uses nice materials but lacks imagination. Nothing left me agape at the perfumer's skill, no wondrous, lightning-strike accords inspiring thoughts of "How on earth did they do that?!". It all fit into nice, neat genres like "Proper White Floral" or "Fresh Citrus". The flops were the ones whose names evoked specific materials but failed to deliver any hint of the ingredients' properties, something Turin rightly nails Creed on.