Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Candle of the day?

Typically, I HATE Yankee Candles for their sweet, fake food smells...... or their overly tart "fresh" scents. However, several years ago we just happened to come across a great scent that struck gold with us. Of course.... then it was discontinued. Well, it is now back for a limited time. The name is Autumn Lodge.

If you are by chance a fan of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille.... this is IT!!!

Basically the smells of an old log cabin, complete with leather, tobacco pipe, vanilla & a fireplace.

For only $25 on the large jar, it is good to go! A great winter scent, however since we have missed it for so long we are testing it out again in the AC with the 90 degree temps outside.

I finished burning my Nest Moroccan Amber candle yesterday. It's really rich, warming, and delicious, containing notes of sweet patchouli, heliotrope, bergamot, with a hint of eucalyptus. It ultimately got me interested in amber fragrances.

Slatkin ~ Lotus Flower

Slatkin ~ Seaside Escape

My candle of the day is Avignon from Commes de Garcons.

Yesterday it was Opopanax from Diptique. (For fans of Eau Lente)

The day before it was Bougie No.3 Toumbac from A.P.C (For fans of Yerbamate - at a stretch).

First time trying Nazareth from Cire Trvdon. (Quite exotic sweet slightly oriental vibe - this one is lovely - notes of clove, cinnamon, orange, olibanum apparently.)

Next up is Cuir de Pleine Fleur from Heeley.

This constitutes my current Candle Wardrobe

And when I grow up I want Saint de Saint from Frederic Malle's new line - nice stuff but a bit pricey. I am placing bets that Saint de Saint may be developed into a perfume, Malle's first oriental, as he said he is working with it's creator Carlos Benaim on 'something'. Pure speculation but you heard it here first

Nice thread idea, thanks - I'm really just beginning to delve into the candle area with my new office so will revisit. I'm also quite keen on checking out the John Galliano Diptyque based on comments I have seen nearby.

Cheers
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 30th September 2010 at 09:50 AM.

I am using Marriage Frères Thè Dansant.

A dear friend gave this to me, its Jonathan Adler 'Muse Noir' Notes include Bergamot, black plum, amber, vetiver. A very lovely and sensuous scent.

My candle for most days that I cook is Fresh Wave. I know, it's not sexy, but I hate cooking smells and I burn it until I go to bed. It has aniseed, pine, clove, cedar, and lime. It's natural and it helps. I do have other candles, but I enjoy them without burning for up to a year. They're in addition to my diffusers to set a mood in each area, but they work together. Ok, I'm single, so it works for me (all that matters)!

Village Candle ~ Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Slatkin ~ Strawberry Patch

Illumina ~ Sage. It smells very nice, but it doesnt smell like sage.

Stella Mare ~ Pumpkin Spice. Perfect for cool autumn evenings.

One of my all-time favorites from Diptyque.

oliverandco

Ambarina

http://jcapotecari.com/main_pags/pro..._producte=2805

One of the best Amber smells

Amber of Marroc, Bergamote, Fresh white Pine

Last edited by socalwoman; 2nd December 2010 at 01:51 AM.

Today I received two Carrière Frères Industrie candles: Agar Wood and Ebony. They're manufactured by the same company that makes Cire Trudon, but are only $30 rather than $75. The fragrances of these are botanically based and much less heavy going than the Baroque scents of Cire Trudon.
    I've been burning the Agar (oud) Wood candle all evening and it is lovely. The predominant notes are oud, cedar, coffee, cacao, lavender, rose and vanilla. I'm a happy man.
    The line is available from Luckyscent as well as at the Cire Trudon boutique in NYC.

Pardon my newbie errors - this is in response to the Kilian Cruel Intentions post. I thought my reply would post under that...

I have this candle, too. I love Kilian and the simplicity and sleek styling of the packaging for their candles. The candle burned beautifully, but I wasn't a huge fan of the fragrance. It seemed off to me. Perhaps it's the civet you mentioned. My favorite Kilian fragrance is Straight to Heaven. I'm hoping to try that candle soon. One of my favorite candles is the Diptyque Feu de Bois you mentioned. I'm crazy about that one! I also love the Alexa Rodulfo brown candle (I think it's Bois Sauvage). It reminds me a lot of Diptyque Feu de Bois.
    Last edited by candlesoffmain; 16th December 2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: I'm new to this....

Thanks so much for this thread! I'm overwhelmed and so excited. It's amazing to find others that love luxury candles. I'm learning so much from all of you and I've found many candles I'd love to try from this posts.

I have the large size Bond No. 9 Scent of Peace. I found it so overwhelmingly fragrant. A little too over the top for me. I also tried Bond No. 9 Little Italy.

I love the Little Italy perfume so I was anxious to get the candle. I thought the motor in one of the small appliances in or kitchen was burning out. Then I realized it was the candle. Bond candles burn well as far as burning clean and level, but the hot throw on these doesn't work out well for me. Disappointing because I love Bond so much!

My first luxury candle and I love it

Slatkin ~ Frosted Tree. Cedar with notes of patchouli and rosemary. Very nice.

bougies-parfumees.jpgfleur-mecanique.jpgSaint de Saints by Frederic malle the smell of a Hindu Temple, I burn this when my Fleur Mechanique' is off. Nuit de Gardinia is also awesome, but for 140.00 I prefer the scent for my Fleur M.

Bath and Body Works ~ Japanese Cherry Blossom. A bit disappointing.

Ralph Lauren Home

Limited Edition Holiday Candle

cheers!

I use Yankie Candles at the moment. Today's is Midnight Jasmine.

Lafco Chamomile Lavender: A Fougere candle; good throw, interesting painted tin container w/lid that holds a book of matches. Well priced at $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Lafco Chamomile Lavender: A Fougere candle; good throw, interesting painted tin container w/lid that holds a book of matches. Well priced at $20.[/CENTER]
    Neat! It sounds like a good one to burn before bedtime.

Blog Entries

I've been criminally neglecting this thread lately, so I should really mention my candle of the day for a cool, drizzly Sunday, Amouage Autumn Leaves.

Oddly, there aren't any leaf smells in here. Instead, it's got a smoky lapsong souchong tea note played against leather, over a pool of that expensive-smelling Amouage frankincense, with a drop of civet adding some creamy funk. Over this, there's a sweet floral that's kind of non-specific but reminds me of roses and cherry blossoms.

Anyone else notice the enormous price differences on Amouage candles on different sites? I got mine in a local store for $60-something, but I've seen them online for $120. Crazy...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??
    Currently wearing: 28 La Pausa by Chanel

Blog Entries

Yesterday, I enjoyed Creed Cocktail de Pivoines.

This was a bit of a splurge at the Creed boutique in NYC last year. For Creed trivia buffs, Cocktail de Pivoines remains the first and only scent created entirely by Erwin Creed without assistance from his father Olivier. It's basically a fruity floral with a really nice peach note, flanked with pineapple and citrus, with a healthy dose of roses and a bit of green lily underneath. This all spreads out over a rich creamy foundation that's basically a candle version of the famous Creed base (vanilla, tonka, ambergris, and most likely a bunch of ambroxan)

Without the base, Cocktail de Pivoines could have come off as kind of cheap, but the inclusion of "basenotes" gave it the richness it needs to justify its silly price tag. That being said, $95 is too much for a candle. Really. But I think of it as a fun souvenir instead of a silly candle and that's enough for me to justify...

Blog Entries

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm actively embarrassed to admit that I bought last year's Fresh limited edition Eat Pray Love candle trio. I'm definitely losing some of my butch guy points here. Then again, I'm reviewing scented candles on a perfume message board, so I'm really not swimming in butch guy points to start with...

Today, I'm burning the Love candle.

It's another fruity floral, but heavier on the floral than the fruit. It's quite heady and flowery. In theory, it's a mix of tiare and jasmine, but it basically just smells like perfumey flowers. There's a fruity sweetness to it that comes from bergamot and cassis (two pretty common fruity floral ingredients). In the background, there's a green leafy note that keeps it from getting too stupid, but this is, all in all, pretty much just a flirty, kicky little fruity floral done as a candle. It's fine for when I'm not craving anything too dark and weird, but not really what I'm into.

This one's scent is so close to By Kilian's Straight to Heaven that it seems almost illegal. Great candle, never-the-less.

Woodwick ~ Sandalwood Clove