Code of Conduct

Default What's the best smelling detergent you've ever used?

I am tired of the smell of tide I want to get a nice smelling detergent so my clothes will smell good.

Default Re: What's the best smelling detergent you've ever used?

I personally use unscented as I find smelly clothes interfere with my appreciation of the finer nuances of a perfume. Unscented (body) soap too, for the same reason. Maybe I'm just strange that way or do most BNers try to avoid clashing scents?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Dixan Lavander + Soupline Lavender (concentrate) but be careful because this powder is blocking into the washing machine.

Felce Azzura Classico (softener) is interesting as well but overwhelming.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I tend to use unscented products, too. My detergent is Tide Free, which has no scent. Laundry detergent mostly seems overwhelmingly scented most of the time. People I know who don't wear perfume are often smelling of Arctic Power and the likes.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Blog Entries

There was a thread on BN awhile ago about the wonderful smell of Tide Simple Pleasures lavender & vanilla. After I tried it, I've been hooked. It really does smell amazing. I haven't found that it clashes w/ my SOTD, either. The scent doesn't seem to hang out on my clothes for that long after they've been washed. It just makes the chore of doing laundry a more fun olfactory experience .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I like classic Tide, I would love to have an EdT of it.

Nancy Boy Laundry Soap. Available in Lavender & Lavender-Verbena. Both smell great.
    Expensive stuff but you don't need softener when you use it & you'll notice your dryer's
    "lint" trap is basically bare after drying a load washed in NB.

Since Lint represents the destruction of your clothes, towels, etc; I always use the NB on my better/more expensive items

Smile Re: What's the best smelling detergent you've ever used?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I like classic Tide, I would love to have an EdT of it.
    Then try Baraja (Acqua di Biella). I swear it's a dead ringer for Tide!

Cheer Fresh Linen with Bounce Fresh Linen dryer sheets.

My clothes have a fresh "line dried" smell that doesn't interfere with my perfume.
    “Auntie Mame [is] a froth of whipped cream and champagne and daydreams and Nuit de Noël perfume. She's not mortal at all.”- Patrick Dennis

Has anyone tried Le Labo's Rose 31 detergent. I've been contemplating if it is worth the money. I would only use it to wash my bedsheets mmm talk about sweet dreams...
    Live a wonderfully perfumed life!

The Good Home Co. ( www.goodhomestore.com) has some nice laundry products, personally I love Beach Days scent. I have been known to use the vacuum beads as a scented drawer sachet. I was also pleased with the laundry fragrance used like liquid fabric softener, expensive but a little goes a long way when used with unscented detergent.
    Last edited by ahp; 16th November 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: error

I use 7th generation Bergamot. nice lightly bitter citrus scent that goes with everything.

Blog Entries

Wink Re: What's the best smelling detergent you've ever used?

What I want is an Oakmoss scented detergent that would drive IFRA to distraction.

Don't know about the detergent, but Lenor Aromatherapy (yap, the name says it all) fabric softener has these lush lavender, as well as almost herbal spicy notes- not synthetic smelling at all, so that projects more than just a fresh and clean, even a refined, almost "perfumy", olfactory sensation.
    Another interesting, although slightly off-topic info: the "vintage" formulation of the Palmolive dish-washing liquid existing around the year 1990, I'm serious, smelled better than most frags I knew (a very sharp, zesty, airy, antiseptic and refreshing cedar, piny and mossy note).

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I personally use unscented as I find smelly clothes interfere with my appreciation of the finer nuances of a perfume. Unscented (body) soap too, for the same reason. Maybe I'm just strange that way or do most BNers try to avoid clashing scents?
    I second the opinion of SculptureOfSoul in that I use unscented detergent and softener on clothing.

I do not wish the scent of my clothes to clash with my perfume. Sometimes I spray perfume ON my clothes.

For the most part, I find scented detergents and laundry items to be very offensive and extremely synthetic smelling. I get nauseated just walking through the aisles of stores.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Can some1 help me out. After Im done washing my clothes I can smell the detergent. When I am done drying them I don't smell anything. I also use dryer sheets. I also use concentrated detergent. Can someone help me. I want to smell like my detergent!

There's a product line out here called Mrs. Meyers Clean Day that make a nice lavender detergent and drier sheets as well.
    Imparts a nice, but light lavender scent.

The new Maison Francis Kirkdijian Laundry Detergent smells amazing and is strong enough to make your bedroom smell and also make your body smell lightly of the scent when you wake up, I am on my third day after washing and my bed still smells like it. I used the detergent and fabric softener, only problem is that it is expensive, but well worth the occasional luxury especially if you only use it on your sheets. Oh and IMO it is way better than two of the Le labo detergents which I couldn't even really smell after using.

I say, use any unscented detergent, then smother your clothes with perfume... The fabrics really do become engulfed with it's scent after a while.

Is quite magical!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Arm and Hammer
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Mostly I use fragrance-free detergent/softener. but occasionally I like Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day in Basil.

Hi all!

GAIN detergent. It's been around for decades and I think Demeter's Laundry and Philosophy's Pure Grace picked up on some of the same notes - especially that 'clean' musk smell that in America we think of as freshly laundered and/or freshly showered.

Ariel liquid detergent (regular) has a wonderfully clean and brisk scent. it also happens to do a terrific job cleaning clothes!

It is made by P&G and not readily available in the US. We get the mexican import here in SoCal.

This is easy. As mentioned above in previous post

Nancy Boy located in San Francisco. Fantastic products.

Here is the link if you arr interested:

Nancy Boy Laundry Detergent

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    Arm and Hammer
    Thank you for mentioning A&H! I loved the musky perfume they used back in the 80's-90's. Do they still make the original, or is it all Mountian Fresh, etc., now? FYI they used to make a fragrance free-version, too, perhaps still do... Good quality detergent.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Basenotes Plus

I use Dreft & add essential oils as I like, especially high altitude lavender, sweet orange, lemon, tea tree or lavandin.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Clean smelling GAIN

I like unscented stuff and spray clothes and sheets with fragrances or essential oil blends I like. There's nothing like a great fragrance on cashmere.

Here's a link for high quality essential oils and blends:

http://www.youngliving.com/essential...l-oils?p=1&s=0

I also burn a lot of palo santo wood. Palo santo is the wood from which guaiac or gaiac oil (often called guaiac or gaiac wood) comes from and is used extensively in perfumery. Palo santo smoke leaves an excellent, slightly citrusy-sweet-balsamic-sandalwoody-frankincense type odor in the air, and it's also great on clothes.

Palo santo wood:

http://www.shamansmarket.com/-strse-...ces/Detail.bok
    Last edited by pluran; 14th November 2010 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I use Dreft & add essential oils as I like, especially high altitude lavender, sweet orange, lemon, tea tree or lavandin.
    I've been doing the same with ALL free & clear. I tend to add tea tree, eucalyptus, lavender 40/42, orange, and a few drops of lemon myrtle. It works great!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    This is easy. As mentioned above in previous post

Nancy Boy located in San Francisco. Fantastic products.

Here is the link if you arr interested:

Nancy Boy Laundry Detergent
    Thanks for the info on Nancy Boy. I checked out their website and am super excited to try their laundry detergent. Will swing by the store the next time I'm in the city.

Presently, I use All or Cheer Free for most laundry, and something with a strong fragrance for my son's work clothes, rinse most everything twice, and use downy liquid on some things (even though it's not good for fabric or skin) but usually Bounce or Downy dryer sheets.

Tide makes washing powder in Oudh / Agarwood and Sandalwood fragrance in the middle-east. My clothes and the laudry room nevewr smelled so good. I tried getting some recently during my visit to Dubai , but couldnt find it anymore.

I'm also a big fan of the Nancy Boy detergent. I use the lavender-geranium and it smells great without being cloying. Those Middle East Tides do sound interesting though.

Wow, oudh detergents! Some may think they make clothes dirtier, though ...

I second Silk's suggestion of Kurkdjian Aqua universalis detergent. I paid 19EUR for 1 liter in France. I don't know the cost here in the US. A little expensive for regular washing, but a luxury once in a while.

Just yesterday, I was reading that perfumer JM Duriez, creator of Yohji homme and other things, used to work in the functional department. I'd be curious to know which detergents he worked on.

cacio

I cannot deal with most scent powders; to synthetic and over powering. For that reason I use low scent wool wash for all my washing needs.

Regular scented Gain laundry soap with Regular Downey liquid fabric softener. The two mixed together is pure ambrosia for me. When the dryer is going and you walk outside by the vent it smells soooo good! I have had many people ask me what kind of perfume I'm wearing and I wasn't wearing anything!

Radiant is my favorite..when i was little i used to love smelling the tub of the washing machine when it was empty..obviously I was a strange child LOL
    ''Wear perfume wherever you want to be kissed'' Coco Chanel

Scented ones all smell the same to my nose - flowery and perfumed to the extreme.

I love fresh-smelling laundry, but I think the best smelling would be laundry you scent yourself! I tried adding a few drops of tangerine essential oil to my unscented liquid softener. Didn't smell anything when the laundry was dry. I'm nervous about adding more oil - don't want to risk oil marks on my clothes. I thought about spraying an unscented dryer sheet with a fresh fragrance … any suggestions?

I think the company Fresh makes a scent called Clean Laundry.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Member

I actually happen to like this: Tide Pure Essentials White Lilac Scent

It smells clean. With a hint of toothpaste. And what's not to like about white lilacs?

GAIN!

I used to buy whatever was on sale, but I've actually gotten compliments on the smell of my laundry when using GAIN. This happened enough times when using GAIN that I eventually stuck with it. The scent seems to fade quickly, which is good because it means it won't conflict with whatever scent I may be wearing. If I do laundry at night, the scent of GAIN seems to be long gone by the time I get dressed in the morning.

I use ecostore laundry powder. Leaves clothes smelling clean, not that synthetic, generic clean laundry smell, just clean with no odours. A bonus is that it's good for the environment and sensitive skin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    Arm and Hammer
    Yes, Arm and Hammer liquid detergent.