Code of Conduct

Default This is gonna sound ridiculous..

but.. I've noticed when I spray my fragrance on my hair it lasts insanely long. Plus it gives off more sillage no matter what the fragrance is. This I can tell because you kind of avoid olfactory fatigue then it's above your head.. it doesn't get to the nose as much. But when I'm out I can smell it rise up into the air. Maybe it's because of the natural oils in the hair that make it stick around so long. After all.. there's usually more oil in the hair than any other part of the body. It is a little awkward to do this, and it even burns a little, but the difference.. WOW

Default Re: This is gonna sound ridiculous..

Good to know! I think I'll give it a try, especially with those weak fragrances we all have. And I hope we don't end up bald doing that...
    Last edited by GodISmellGood; 21st May 2010 at 05:09 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Yup, Cologneist - I agree- perfume in hair is just great.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Not surprising...I've read of a few people doing that. Makes a bit of sense, but depending on the scent, you don't want it to get overwhelming.

I've had a few shower gels related to scents, and used as shampoo, it always helps extend the scent quite a bit.

No way am I putting any fragrance in my hair! Now if only I grew out my chest hair...
    Last edited by Ronin; 21st May 2010 at 05:14 AM.

Blog Entries

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Though I've never sprayed on the hair on my head, I do occasionally spray on the backs of my forearms. Great place to increase longevity and sillage. We guys are blessed to have hair there.

It's not ridiculous, but fragrances contain alcohol, and alcohol might damage the hair fiber. I would do that only if I had a dry skin. But I'll give it a try in the near future, just to see how it goes.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    It is a little awkward to do this, and it even burns a little, but the difference.. WOW
    Burning sensations in the absence of physical activity or bourbon are trouble, imo.

As smells rise, only people taller than you will be able to smell perfume sprayed in your hair. That is why girls spray their hair, because they are shorter and because they have longer hair that covers more area.

my mom used to give me advice ˝always spray on hair too˝, not a news to me, hair can be a great choice if a certain cologne doesn't stick for the skin.
    Last edited by Zgb; 21st May 2010 at 06:45 AM.

DeepSilence

It depends temperature of weather too. maybe smells fall!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Hmm, my hair is so full of products, that I'm sure some sort of
    toxic concoction will be the result of more chemestry in it ...

It has been discussed a few times here, before, that spraying on hair does get you some good longevity.

The question is whether one wants to risk spraying on ones hair not knowing of the consequences, if any.

It also happens to me to spray some fragrance on my hair on certain occasions and, almost each time, the lasting power and projection used to be, indeed, above average

When I have a frag on, I'm usually going out..and when I go out I either style my hair with wax or wear a cap. So I don't think spraying frags on my hair will work for me haha.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Burning sensations in the absence of physical activity or bourbon are trouble, imo.
    lmao. I agree.
    Sales thread here

Since my arms have a moderate amount of hair on them, I have long speculated that is why fragrances generally last "forever" when sprayed on the back of my wrists.

I would recommend you retitle your post so people can find it via search.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 21st May 2010 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    It's not ridiculous, but fragrances contain alcohol, and alcohol might damage the hair fiber. I would do that only if I had a dry skin. But I'll give it a try in the near future, just to see how it goes.

Well, I do have dry skin but my scalp happens to be even more sensitive plus I'm already frightened by my way too early appearing "geheimratsecken" (anyone knows a translation? I mean the spikes of baldness at the corners of my forehead) so I'l pass on anything that might cost my more hair

Crap. I cant even try this. I have no hair.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Spraying the hair is an age-old way of wearing scent. (Think of the 19th century Macassar hair oil--the dandy's essential grooming aid--made of oil scented with ylang-ylang! Sexy was defined as hair "oiled and curling.")

Tom Ford makes a spray for hair scented with Black Orchid.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...medium=organic
    Last edited by Primrose; 21st May 2010 at 05:53 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Maybe it's because of the natural oils in the hair that make it stick around so long. After all.. there's usually more oil in the hair than any other part of the body.
    This is true. The hair oils act as a retentive medium for the perfume essences. The increased sillage is due to the fact that the total surface area of hundreds or thousands of hair strands is enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    This is true. The hair oils act as a retentive medium for the perfume essences. The increased sillage is due to the fact that the total surface area of hundreds or thousands of hair strands is enormous.
    The head is also one of the warmest areas of the body. Hair all over the body disperses scent, as we all know.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmo View Post
    As smells rise, only people taller than you will be able to smell perfume sprayed in your hair. That is why girls spray their hair, because they are shorter and because they have longer hair that covers more area.
    LOL that's even more ridiculous than what I though of the thread itself. That's like saying the air wave's only float upward. Sillage is associated with body movement. As you walk (tall or short) you leave a fragrance trail behind you. Depending on the fragrance.. some stronger than others. So it's pretty naive to say that only people taller than you would smell it since it floats up into the air and all around. I'm 6'1, and was with a girl friend who's about 5'4. This was one of my tests with this; I sprayed some Diesel Zero Plus (with top notes I really enjoy) in my hair with 2 sprays. As well as one on the chest and one on each wrist, as those top notes diminished from the application on my wrists and chest, I could still smell top notes slightly 3 hours later! I smelled my wrists though and it wasn't coming from there, nor my chest because it would have gone right up my nose pretty easily. Then again though I'm Jewish and have pretty thick hair which can hold it well. Plus I tend to not wash it everytime in the shower (to avoid an afro lol) I still maintain my hair, but it serves me much better when the oils build up and give it more to work with. I don't use and gels or hairsprays because the oil allows me to style it basically anyway I like.

I just do what feels right for me, and works. Back on topic though I'm glad to see a lot of people are aware of this method, and those who aren't who are interested. LOL I'm not saying it's the key to longevity issues, or people with dryer skin who can't hold fragrances as well, but it definitely helps. I'm gonna continue to test this more using different methods. As somebody said they use hair wax. I think a fragrance would stick to that superbly and maintain it's top notes throughout. It's always mind boggling to me on how long a fragrance can maintain its top notes. It's really all based on the surface it hits and the dynamics of the surface.

The problem is the hair wax I use is heavily scented and I don't even want to imagine what my hair wax and frag mixed together would smell like LOL. Plus the scents from shampoo and conditioner..it might be one deadly olfactory cocktail. Using unscented hair products is an option but over here those products are either expensive or inferior to the ones I'm currently using. But it's great that spraying on hair is giving u improved sillage.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

LOL that's even more ridiculous than what I though of the thread itself. That's like saying the air wave's only float upward. Sillage is associated with body movement. As you walk (tall or short) you leave a fragrance trail behind you. Depending on the fragrance.. some stronger than others. So it's pretty naive to say that only people taller than you would smell it since it floats up into the air and all around. I'm 6'1, and was with a girl friend who's about 5'4. This was one of my tests with this; I sprayed some Diesel Zero Plus (with top notes I really enjoy) in my hair with 2 sprays. As well as one on the chest and one on each wrist, as those top notes diminished from the application on my wrists and chest, I could still smell top notes slightly 3 hours later! I smelled my wrists though and it wasn't coming from there, nor my chest because it would have gone right up my nose pretty easily. Then again though I'm Jewish and have pretty thick hair which can hold it well. Plus I tend to not wash it everytime in the shower (to avoid an afro lol) I still maintain my hair, but it serves me much better when the oils build up and give it more to work with. I don't use and gels or hairsprays because the oil allows me to style it basically anyway I like.

I just do what feels right for me, and works. Back on topic though I'm glad to see a lot of people are aware of this method, and those who aren't who are interested. LOL I'm not saying it's the key to longevity issues, or people with dryer skin who can't hold fragrances as well, but it definitely helps. I'm gonna continue to test this more using different methods. As somebody said they use hair wax. I think a fragrance would stick to that superbly and maintain it's top notes throughout. It's always mind boggling to me on how long a fragrance can maintain its top notes. It's really all based on the surface it hits and the dynamics of the surface.
    One answer to this is to spray under a pair of loose trousers. The scent will disperse as you walk. (BTW, the Comte d'Orsay was 6'3" and didn't care, I am sure, how his sillage was spread about, as he used it on his clothing and gloves.)

I thought this was a common exercise.

This is not ridiculous at all.....I have heard and read this many times over the years.....Gary

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Crap. I cant even try this. I have no hair.
    Use your beard and mustache

This is when a long beard comes in handy
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

My eldest daughter, who by the way is six feet tall, wears her perfume this way. Her la Nuit last for two days plus.

This is not ridiculous in the slightest! I can personally attest that this really works. Even when my perfume has long disappeared from my skin (usually within hours of spraying), my hair and clothes retain it for a least a day or two; sometimes longer.

There was a whole line of products for the hair, Guerlain for one, Stilboide Fluide pour les Cheveux ... you can see them on eBay & various other places still.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Basenotes Institution

I remember perfumeshrine doing an article about perfume for hair. Since all the IFRA stuff about sensitizing skin - the way around that is - perfume for hair as the product is meant for hair, whether there is oakmoss it or not, doesn't matter. Kind of a wayround the regulations.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yeah , I have recently discovered that spraying the top of my arms, the scent lasts alot longer. Might have to try the hair

Putting fragrance in our hair? Shampoo, conditioner, highlights and all, and now perfume? Do we want to go bald faster?

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk275 View Post
    Putting fragrance in our hair? Shampoo, conditioner, highlights and all, and now perfume? Do we want to go bald faster?
    LOL... If you have hair like mine (18" long) you just put the frag on the ends. (and no reason to rub it into your scalp! But a fragranced oil might be just the ticket, monsieur (presumably)!

I do draw the line at perms or haircolor, mostly because I'm quite comfortable with my hair the way it is. Stripey with silver over a chestnut-dark brown... when it all goes silver I'll be quite happy too.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 22nd May 2010 at 12:50 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

I'll be in the minority but I've found that a few sprays to the t-shirt work better than anything. Especially near the neck. I can smell a fragrance all day & evening doing this.

I ALWAYS spray one time on my head, it's just amazing at which point you can smell your fragrance better. It's undoubtedly a sillage increaser, but it can also make your fragrance evolving much more different than on your skin 'cause of the heat on the head. Maybe not a very good idea if you easily sweat on there.

DeepSilence

WoW, I did. lasting increases very much. i tested with low lasting fragrance. now i have it since 4 hours ago.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    This is when a long beard comes in handy
    Is this why they say Osama bin Laden smells good?

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    LOL... If you have hair like mine (18" long) you just put the frag on the ends. (and no reason to rub it into your scalp! But a fragranced oil might be just the ticket, monsieur (presumably)!

I do draw the line at perms or haircolor, mostly because I'm quite comfortable with my hair the way it is. Stripey with silver over a chestnut-dark brown... when it all goes silver I'll be quite happy too.
    Bravo for you, Luna, a silver fox!

I spray at the nape of my neck, under the collar where the skin is warm.

This has been suggested by very sane people. Not ridiculous.

Banned
    Blog Entries

sounds like a great way to go bald.

I doubt it would make your hair fall out... particularly if you have well-conditioned hair and don't spray the scent directly onto your scalp. (hair really does "hold" the scent for a long time.)

I've been trying this for a week or so now, after having first read this thread, and it works for me. It really helps with the weaker (4-5hr) scents.

The whole "wont it make you bald" thing doesnt worry me. After all, there is fragrance in all or most hair care products anyways.

Thanks for the tip!

The caveat here is the alcohol found in most fragrances; it can dry out the hair & scalp. It's the oils in hair that hold the scent.

Sensual, yes. That's why well-conditioned hair can take and hold the scent. My hair tends toward slight oiliness anyway, but if it ever gets dry, say, over the wintertime, I use one of those leave-in conditioners like burts bees avocado once and it's back to normal. I've heard of folks using coconut oil for their hair as a conditioner, that it is very, very good for the hair, and that would also help. You can get the expeller pressed CO that doesn't have a coconut smell and use that method once a month to keep your hair silky, the hair will just drink up the oil!
    Last edited by actiasluna; 6th June 2010 at 05:33 PM.

I wouldn't worry about the alcohol. It's the number one ingredient in hair spray, and close to the top of the ingredient list in hair gel. I think it evaporates too quickly to do any damage. I also don't think it reaches the scalp unless you have thin or very short hair.

How do you keep the fragrance "true" when it mixes with the scent of your styling product(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    How do you keep the fragrance "true" when it mixes with the scent of your styling product(s)?
    Styling products?

(don't use 'em myself.)

Go for unscented styling products.