Code of Conduct

Default Indian Sandalwood oil

I've heard Indian Sandalwood is the best and the most expensive Sandalwood oils in the world... it is true?

I would like to buy an authentic Indian Sandalwood oil online... anybody knows one website to buy it with confidence?

Thnx!

Default Re: Indian Sandalwood oil

I've heard that the best comes from Karnataka state in India - Mysore Sandalwood.

This is one of the nicest sandalwood oils I've come across: click.

Woody, deep, strong, creamy. Supposedly pure, actually it's sold as a food grade product. Expensive.

I would not buy on eBay, even the stuff bottled in sealed Government of India containers is often counterfeited (it's very easy to buy the official seals, apparently).

There are some Sri Lankan oils which can give Mysore a run for its money. Aluwwah.com has a Karnataka oil that's supposed to be very good. I'd stay away from Eden Botanical's Vanuatu Sandalwood - that stuff is vile.

The usual cons of using pure sandalwood oil as a personal fragrance - while the longevity will be very good, there will be hardly any sillage and projection to speak of. If you can live with that and settle for wearing it for your own personal enjoyment then you'll be happy.

Mysore Sandalwood has been used since Pharonic times , its stunning IMO. Australian Sandalwood sucks IMO but is now mainly used as a fixative because its much cheaper.

What about this? :

http://www.profumo.it/perfume/prodotto.asp?pid=191

...from Abdessalam Attar, a trusted website and perfumer...

any opinion?

I have a bottle of this one - Santalum Album. It is the best Mysore I have come across, equal to the stuff I used to wear in the 70s. It is simply Mysore Sandalwood diluted in perfumer's alcohol and hence a wearable EDT - one I save for special occasions. In case you weren't aware the perfumer, Dominique Dubrana, is a member of basenotes (he has a Social Group here) and is a real gentleman and pleasure to deal with, you can order direct from his website. (Mecca Balsam is great, BTW).

The other 'purist' rendition of sandalwood I like is the Amouage Santal Attar which I bought a year or so ago (from Les Senteurs in London). This one feels like good Mysore that has been amped up a little by a fixative, perhaps one of the better synth snadalwoods - not sure, but it strikes me as a little 'more' than just pure sandalwood oil, but in a perfectly okay way.

All that said, the one Igor01 recommends above looks very interesting, might check it out myself

Reading your reactions.... i thik i will stick to my Amouage sandal and omani sandal oil ( bought in muscat)

Igore
    how would u discribe aouagesandal comparign to the EO sandelwood oil that u recomend ?
    i know u hate amouage... but try to compare without teh HATE part

Mo, I haven't tried the Amouage Sandalwood attar, a glaring omission I fully intend to remedy. I actually ordered their Sandalwood from Fascination Perfumery bu due to some credit card glitch the order got cancelled and when I went back to order again, it was sold out. BTW, I don't hate Amouage and own and enjoy quite a few of their scents.

What is the Amouage sandal like? Does it smell natural? I am somewhat suspicios of how much pure oil and of what quality their sandal attar contains considering the relatively low price for a relatively large quantity. Bu that doesn't mean that I won't embrace it if it smells nice enough

Sadly, as has been noted in the oud discussion grop - really good sandalwood is even harder to find than a good oud. So far I haven't liked any (other than the two I bought) enough to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Mo, I haven't tried the Amouage Sandalwood attar, a glaring omission I fully intend to remedy. I actually ordered their Sandalwood from Fascination Perfumery bu due to some credit card glitch the order got cancelled and when I went back to order again, it was sold out. BTW, I don't hate Amouage and own and enjoy quite a few of their scents.

What is the Amouage sandal like? Does it smell natural? I am somewhat suspicios of how much pure oil and of what quality their
    sandal attar contains considering the relatively low price for a relatively large quantity. Bu that doesn't mean that I won't embrace it if it smells nice enough

Sadly, as has been noted in the oud discussion grop - really good sandalwood is even harder to find than a good oud. So far I haven't liked any (other than the two I bought) enough to purchase.

hahah ok ok i believe it now.. that u don't hate amouage!

sandal amsouage smell good.. just good.
    it is a creamy , light woods , milky and something fresh is there as well.
    most naturals are very complex... like incense /oil it is fresh lemony , sour and little spicy.

this smell like natural... but it is not really 12 ml pure .
    i can smell it is diluted... it si not that thick.... same as al andalus.. if u compare it with homage
    it feel little diluted with other odorless oil. jojoba or something like that.

i thought it might be synthetic... but somethign tells me it is not toally synthetic....
    in the simplicity of one note it has a complex appearance and development.

unlike their musc abyad.. pure chemicals.... avoid this one.

Just for the record, I did a left / right comparison between pure Santalum Album & the Amouage (2 or 3 times, actually) and it's clear to me that there is more going on in the Amouage than just straight Mysore Oil - it is a composition, definitely. BUT the Mysore is the key player and whatever Amouage have used in there seems to support and extend the sandalwood, it also projects a little more than straight oil. The other stuff does not get in the way. It's a good 'un, and a good price for anyone who wants to know what the real deal smells like if pure Santalum Album is impossible to find / buy.

MR.Reas,

what santalum album did u compare with amouage ?
    it is correct !
    the amouage smell like pure undiluted oil. although i never smell pure sandelwood oil
    but after smelling other pure oils like Oud , safron , jasmin and others... after a while you know the smell strength
    that comes with pure oils. thsi si sure little diluted or composed with other notes.
    stil vey good one.
    the santal oud i got from muscat is far more potent , same type but 4 times stronger in the milky / creamy blond wood smell .

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    I've heard Indian Sandalwood is the best and the most expensive Sandalwood oils in the world... it is true?
    that is sandalwood mysore you are talking about.

any website that offers it, is a scam. it's a protected specie for quite some time now. unless you are willing to pay the price of a middle class car for a small amount of old stock, and prepared to take the (big) risk that it isn't the real thing anyway..

there are some alternatives, some of the australian stuff is good, but it remains a surrogate. none is the same. sandal mysore notes these days are mostly synthetic, sometimes partly other-but-similar wood oils.

"Anyone who has ever worn real Indian sandalwood oil straight knows that it is a perfume in itself: milky, rosy, ambery, woody, green, marvelous." - The Guide - Bois des Iles review.

Actually I love so much a lot of "sandalwood perfumes" that I think if I smell something really close to de "real deal" I would be in heaven...

Today I found glowing reviews and excellent comments about a 2007 Sri Lanka Sandalwood Oil which sells in some stores:

Santalum album Distilled from heartwood, grown and distilled in Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon.)

A distillation of true East Indian Santalum album, from a new source, wild grown in Sri Lanka. I received a sample of this and everyone here fell in love. I am told it was distilled less than three months ago (in February or March 2007), but it "feels" well-aged. Much deeper and somehow more robust than either of our Tamil Nadu oils, very reminiscent of the last Mysore Sandalwood we were able to offer. (Kicking myself for not saving some of that for comparison.) It has the sweetness of the Tamil oils, but a deeper base note underlying the sweetness. This wonderful Sandalwood is exquisite now, I can only imagine what it will grow into when properly aged!

Gas Chromatography

Compounds % GC
    Alpha Santalene 1,33
    (E)-B Santalene 0,21
    Beta Santalene 1,44
    EPI Beta Santalene 2,23
    Alpha Bisabolene 0,12
    Germacrene C 0,25
    Dendrolasin 0,21
    AR Curcumene 0,39
    Torreyol 1,70
    Beta Bisabolol 0,66
    Geranyl Acetone 2,00
    Santalol Alpha 49,80
    EPI-BETA-Santalol 4,34
    Eremolignol 0,16
    Trans-trans Alpha Farnesol 0,32
    Trans Alpha Bergamotyl Acetate 0,11
    CIS EPI Beta Santalol 4,20
    CIS Beta Santalol 17,84
    CIS Nuciferol 0,41
    Eremophilone 0,18
    Alpha Santalal 1,47
    CIS Lanceol 2,25

Anyone knows it?

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    ... any website that offers it, is a scam...
    Not necessarily. India still produces tons of the oil. Imho, the problem is quality, not all Mysore S. is equal. I.e. the wood that is used often isn't old enough to yield fine oil and therefore I'd rather pay for a good sandalwood EO from Tamil or Sri Lanka than for poor quality Mysore S. I've obtained some aged (1990) M. sandalwood from Osmotheque and also have some recently distilled oil from Mysore and the difference in quality is noticeable.