Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Lightbulb Which is the best "amber" perfume?

I have in my (vast, too vast) collection Cabochard Ambre, Ambre Sultane, Voile d'Ambre and even Victoria's Secret Amber Romance - which is sweet compared to the others.
    Can you Basenoters tell me which amber based fumes are your favourites, and why?
    Yes, I am still looking for my amber-ish Holy Grail.

Default Re: Which is the best "amber" perfume?

Ambre Russe is my current favorite. Boozy, spicy amber.

Ambre 114 is my second favoite - dry, herbal amber, one I like much more than the well-known Ambre Sultan.

Ambre Narguille and Amber Absolute are fragrances I find I highly enjoyable.

Banned

Thank you.
    Ambre Russe sounds interesting. It contains cinnamon and leather, right?
    How is the staying power?

I find the staying power excellent - lasts all day on me. The strongest Amber I know is probably Amber Absolute, though it loses its spicy edge after a while and becomes a little more run-of-the-mill amber.

Ambre Russe i have tried ,too.It is a warm and woody one!I agree with Sugardaraja.
    There is also L’eau d’Ambre Extreme by L’Artisan Parfumer !I haven't tried this yet,but i am going to!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Blog Entries

I like Armani Privé Ambre Soie better than Ambre Sultan-- it has a wonderful anise note.

Ambre Russe is my all-time favorite amber, but, I do love so many, including Ambre Sultan, Ambre Narguile, Ambre Gris, and AL's Ambra Tibet.

Banned

Thanks for all the input; you're great!
    The size of my wallet won't be that great after this...

I just ordered a sample of Ambre Noir from Sonoma Scent Studio... sounded yummy:

http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/ambrenoir.shtml

We shall see!
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?

It has to be Ambre Sultan for me everytime. Most ambers I have tried have this vanilla sweet thing going on. So sweet you can feel your teeth ache.

Ambre Sultan is just dirty in your face sexy, no sweet shops involved.
    DONNA

Thumbs up Re: Which is the best "amber" perfume?

Pierre Montale's BLUE AMBER
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I second the Ambre Russe, it is a masterpiece! I think THE amber for me is Ambre Sultan. L'Ombre Fauve by PG is a very interesting and beguiling take. Ambre Narguilé I found disgustingly sweet. Oh, I forgot Ambre Précieux that seduced me totally today.

Yup, Ambre Precieux is totally wonderful.

Amber from dragonflyblue.com. She's a tiny one person operation, I think, but many of her fragrance oils are beautiful . Amber is soft and creamy, a bit gourmand as it is a bit sweet and cinnamony. The incense/resin is apparent but not astrigent.

Another vote for PdE Ambre Russe. Boozy topnotes settle into a long-lasting, warm amber.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I am an absolute amber fanatic, or is that an amber absolute fanatic?
    Anyway, the most voluptuous and satisfying amber that I've tried has to be Histoires des Parfums Ambre 114.
    Top notes: thyme and nutmeg.
    Heart notes: rose, geranium, patchouli, sandalwood, cedar wood and vetiver.
    Base notes: amber, vanilla, tonka bean, benzoin, and musk.
    What sets this one apart from so many of the other ambers I've tried, own/owned, is that I can actually smell many of the high quality notes rather than having them all blur with one another. It also has more of a traditional development, something one doesn't usually get with an amber. The rose heart note is especially rich and distinct.
    It's become my holy grail amber.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st May 2010 at 06:10 PM.

Blog Entries

I've tried every amber I could and this (Ertro Ambra) is my favorite next to the d/c Amber Nude by Estee Lauder.

Are all ambers very sweet? I find it hard to get past that, in the ones I've smelled, but would like to try a less syrupy amber.

Blog Entries

The MPG Amber Precieux and Amber Narguile are very sweet to my nose.
    Amber Sultan is the least sweet. It is really dark labdanum. It is a dry-incense/cumin scent.
    Another good one to try is Madini Ambergris (mentioned above). It is also really labdanum, but yummy!

I agree about Ambre 114 by Histoires des parfums.It's warm and spicy.

I don`t know if they are the best ones, but i like a lot Ambre Narguile, Ambre Rousse, Ambre Soie from Armani Prive (a delicious cinnamon amber to my nose) and Amber Absolute, one of the strongest ambers I`ve ever tested

If the one is not ultimately satisfied by Ambre Russe or Ambre Sultan, then she/he should change their scenery.
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 21st May 2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: the UFO that landed on my backyard

One more vote for :
    Ambre 114

(I also like many of the others mentioned. Still, I always come back to this.)
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Hillaire

Wow, I really want to try Ambre 114

My fave is Ambre Russe, like many others, apparently.

And the MPG, IMO is a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    Are all ambers very sweet? I find it hard to get past that, in the ones I've smelled, but would like to try a less syrupy amber.
    Ambre 114 - lightly herbal, dry, not all sweet and syrupy like Amber Absolute or Ambre Russe. Similar to but much less harsh than Ambre Sultan.

Ooh, thank you -- I'll have to get a sample!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Wow, I really want to try Ambre 114
    It does sound wonderful! Kevin's post actually has my mouth watering. Nutmeg? Yum! :-) It wil join Ambre Soie on my test list.

My four favorite ambers, so far:

MPG Ambre Precieux (my top fave – I love the herbal quality lent by the lavender)
    Stephanie de Saint-Aignan Embruns d'Ambre (an unusual and gorgeous aquatic amber)
    Montale Blue Amber (warm and comforting – great for bedtime!)
    Micallef Note Ambree (a pillowy-soft, very feminine floral amber)

I also really like Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambre, Balmain Ambre Gris, L'Artisan Ambre Extreme, Ormonde Jayne Tolu, Parfumerie Generale L'Oiseau de Nuit, and L'Occitane Labdanum (recent discovery thanks to Primrose!).

I love Ambre Russe, Ambre Narguile and Ambre Fetiche
    Evenstar

Guelain Attrape Coeur . The amber note itself is similar to the one in Ambre Sultan, but it's pure Guerlain.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I don`t know if they are the best ones, but i like a lot Ambre Narguile, Ambre Rousse, Ambre Soie from Armani Prive (a delicious cinnamon amber to my nose) and Amber Absolute, one of the strongest ambers I`ve ever tested
    Oh, thanks for that little description of Ambre Soie, rickbr! I love a subtle cinnamon note, and now must sample this one. Yummmmm.

Blog Entries

One of my favorite Ambres is Embruns d'Ambre by Stephanie de Saint-Aigens. Very ambre.

Believe it or not, my favorite amber is classified as a "leather"; En Avion is a delicious amber infused with cedar and spice. The drydown is amber heaven.
    "It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent"

Blog Entries

My favorites, from two opposite ends of the spectrum, are Ambre Narguile (vanilla pudding amber, chock full of cinnamon and fruits) and Costume National Homme (which could very easily be worn by a woman - buttery super-rich thick molten amber). I don't personally care much for the herbal, medicinal, powdery ambers, but Tom Ford's Amber Absolute is a good example for that kind.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Plus

I don't know if there could ever be a reference amber at all. But my current favorites are HdP's Ambre 114, Sonoma Scent Studio's Ambre Noir and L'Artisan Parfumeur's L'Eau d'Ambre. I like my amber on the resinuous and smokier side, and not too sweet.

I'd like to suggest Sublime by Jean Patou, Luca Turin calls the drydown of this "the sweetest, creamiest vanillic amber imaginable" - how good is that?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Hi,
    i would like to add one more wonderful scent of amber :Private Collection Amber Ylang-Ylang by Estée Lauder
    I have just remembered it!!!!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I love Ambre Sultan and Etro Ambra best - and I even have worn amber absolute resinoid if the mood struck me!

reine

1. 114 and sultan
    2. precieux
    3. narguile

russe isn't to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    Hi,
    i would like to add one more wonderful scent of amber :Private Collection Amber Ylang-Ylang by Estée Lauder
    I have just remembered it!!!!
    Thank you for calling out this much derrided gem. The Guide describes it as drowning in Bananas Foster - I'm with you, it's wonderful. A rich, well blended and long lasting amber with a hint of tobacco: yum!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 29th May 2010 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I like Armani Privé Ambre Soie better than Ambre Sultan-- it has a wonderful anise note.
    This is probably my favorite Ambre Fragrance.....This was my first Armani Prive'.....Gary

Wow, only one mention of Montale's Blue Amber? 114 is my holy grail, but Blue Amber is a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I don't know if there could ever be a reference amber at all. But my current favorites are..............L'Artisan Parfumeur's L'Eau d'Ambre.
    Oh god, yes, this Jean Claude Ellena creation for L'Artisan is close to perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Thank you for calling out this much derrided gem. The Guide describes it as drowning in Bananas Foster - I'm with you, it's wonderful. A rich, well blended and long lasting amber with a hint of tobacco: yum!
    The first time I smelled it I was a little disappointed, as I was expecting floral enormity in the vein of Tuberose Gardenia, but I tried it at a later point and found myself really enjoying it as an amber fragrance. I must give it a full wearing one of these days.

There are so many, but my favorite at the moment would have to be Ambre Narguile. There are many that people have listed above that I still have yet to smell, so that could change.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Oh god, yes, this Jean Claude Ellena creation for L'Artisan is close to perfect.
    I like Ambre Extreme too. It has that Ellena feel to it that I've grown to love.
    Last edited by Lush; 10th January 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Another vote for EL's Amber Ylang Ylang, a beautiful amber, not sweet.

Cheers, I want to use thi thread in order to find my holy grail amber. I'm quite new to the amber business coming from the light side of scents. Recently I've come to love amber though. Maybe you can help me find my holy grail based on the ones I have tried so far.

I'm searching for something really herbal, medicinal.

Ambre narguile - really nice scent but not what I'm looking for. Too sweet and gourmand.
    Ambre by occitane - disgusting, smells like biscuits.
    Voile d'ambre - horrid, cloyingly sweet.
    Ambre russe - don't like the patchouli note in it.
    Armani's Ambre soie - smells like licorice gums (haribo colorado), not find of it
    Ambra nobile - own it and love it. love the spicy herbal quality, the dustiness. could be slightly less sweet.
    Ambre sultan - hate at first sniff - cough syrupnassociation. now absolutely love that juice, thinking of buying this or another holy grai.

Recently a SA made me sniff an ambet by bond no 9 - I believe - disgusting!
    L''Air du desert marocain - pure love!

What did I miss? want my HG dry, herbal, maybe dusty, medicinal without being artificial. Spicy but not too much cinnamon. not too sweet ideas?

Basenotes Plus

DieNase, try Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Precieux. It's a really nice amber, rich, warm and just a little sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    DieNase, try Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Precieux. It's a really nice amber, rich, warm and just a little sweet.
    Another vote for this one.

mihailo

MPG Ambre Precieux
    HdP Ambre 114

Ambre Narguille.

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    What did I miss? want my HG dry, herbal, maybe dusty, medicinal without being artificial. Spicy but not too much cinnamon. not too sweet ideas?
    Love Ambre Sultan too.

I can think of Etro Ambra - dry, light amber. PG L'Ombre Fauve is also nice, might be a little on the sweet side. Also, what about pairing amber with oud, which has a medicinal quality?

Blog Entries

Profumum Ambra Aurea & Olibanum are splendid. Also Ambre Fiore, but it is sweeter.

I love amber-centered fragrance but, after testing way too many, there's nothing like Ambre Precieux and Ambra Mediterranea for me...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Diggin this thread. Recently, I really enjoy/like Ambra Di Luna By Ramon Monegal and Prada L'eau Ambree. But there are other ambers I enjoy..lots of them. But Ambre Sultan isn't one of them.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

parfum d'empire ambre russe (boozy amber), parfumerie generale fellanilla (animalic amber, iris, vanilla & saffron, doesn't have the word 'amber' in its name), the body shop amber oud (skanky amber, it's yum and really cheap) and annick goutal ambre fetiche (leather and amber), ag is my fav..
    Last edited by danny1967; 14th August 2012 at 10:41 AM.

Potion by Dsquared2 is also really good. Amber with cinnamon

Haven't tried it yet but the new Hermes L'Ambre des Merveilles sounds interesting