Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which is the best "amber" perfume?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

I've tried every amber I could and this (Ertro Ambra) is my favorite next to the d/c Amber Nude by Estee Lauder.
    still haven't opened my vintage bottle! have to give it a try tomorrow (if it's not too hot).
    Last edited by danny1967; 14th August 2012 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Recently, I really enjoy/like Ambra Di Luna By Ramon Monegal.
    I'm trying this one as I type. I like it. I'm loving the musky castoreum presence. It's definitely there but not overdone and give a fragrance a nice, subtle, animalic twist. Just lovely.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I'm trying this one as I type. I like it. I'm loving the musky castoreum presence. It's definitely there but not overdone and give a fragrance a nice, subtle, animalic twist. Just lovely.
    Gosh, I didn't give the Ambra a full wear till just now...lol..only sprayed a dab before. But I douse myself in Prada L'eau Ambree. Wow, the Ambra is very animalic! Is there a difference in musks? Of course, right? Cause I don't do well with the 'general' musk listed in many fumes..many cause a non-pleasant reaction. This one doesn't seem to cause as much of a reaction, however. Is it the synthetic musk I have a prob with I wonder? Though all musks are synthetic these days, are they not? Trying to figure it out LOL.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

IMO a woman could rock Prada's Amber Pour Homme or the Amber Pour Homme Intense version. Both are wonderful ambery scents.

^I like those too. Prefer the intense one I think.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Seconding ideas of Prada Amber Pour Homme and it's Intense version.

completely forgot about Farmacia SS. Annunziata Ambra Nera (like the name, 'dark amber', rich, opulent, resinous)!! amazing (on my 'to buy' list).

And there is always: Amber, by Aftelier. Dry, smoky, 100% organic...
    You are never too old nor too fat to be elegant and pleasantly fragrant!

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    Cheers, I want to use thi thread in order to find my holy grail amber. I'm quite new to the amber business coming from the light side of scents. Recently I've come to love amber though. Maybe you can help me find my holy grail based on the ones I have tried so far.

I'm searching for something really herbal, medicinal.

Ambre narguile - really nice scent but not what I'm looking for. Too sweet and gourmand.
    Ambre by occitane - disgusting, smells like biscuits.
    Voile d'ambre - horrid, cloyingly sweet.
    Ambre russe - don't like the patchouli note in it.
    Armani's Ambre soie - smells like licorice gums (haribo colorado), not find of it
    Ambra nobile - own it and love it. love the spicy herbal quality, the dustiness. could be slightly less sweet.
    Ambre sultan - hate at first sniff - cough syrupnassociation. now absolutely love that juice, thinking of buying this or another holy grai.

Recently a SA made me sniff an ambet by bond no 9 - I believe - disgusting!
    L''Air du desert marocain - pure love!

What did I miss? want my HG dry, herbal, maybe dusty, medicinal without being artificial. Spicy but not too much cinnamon. not too sweet ideas?
    Maybe Ambre Fetiche by Annick Goutal?

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mihailo View Post
    MPG Ambre Precieux
    HdP Ambre 114
    These seem to get lots of votes. I'm going to try and find a sample...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the recommendations - I'll check them out as soon as I can...

I love amber-centered fragrance but, after testing way too many, there's nothing like Ambre Precieux and Ambra Mediterranea for me...
    Brother preach! Totally agree

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Echoing: Ambre Sultan is the stuff (I like my amber herbal and dry), but Ambre 114 is the stuff that isn't quite as showy and sweeps away the herbs. I see it discussed a bit here, but is Balmain Ambre Gris worth a shot for one who likes these?

Course, Obsession is an instant flashback to being drowned by lipstick-on-cheek-attack relatives all of childhood who wore the stuff 24/7, but it's a very ambery popular designer offering if you didn't suffer its over-exposure.

how come no one has mentioned coromandel is beyond me!!

Trouble by Boucheron is an amber bomb. Nothing but amber!

EL Amber Ylang is also a nice amber, very similar to Joop Le Bain

Opus VI integrates a wonderful amber with the smokier elements - not for everyone and definitely not a 'pure' amber, but absolutely stunning.

+1 Attrape Coeur - beautiful stuff.

I love amber-centered fragrance but, after testing way too many, there's nothing like Ambre Precieux and Ambra Mediterranea for me...
    This +1

Add Ambre Sultan and you have the "holy-trinity".

Basenotes Member

My favorite amber that I've tried so far, is Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens. My skin seems to magnify the sweetness is anything that I put on, (or perhaps I just don't like anything sweet), and the herbaceous green notes manage to downplay the sweetness of the amber where I love to wear it. I also think that the juxtaposition of the cool and medicinal greens is a perfect accompaniment to the natural smoothness and sweet warmness of the amber, which makes it a really interesting concoction indeed, even if it isn't super wearable for most. I like Parfums d'Empire's Ambre Russe too, which is a salty, alcoholic amber, rich and baroque... But as beautiful as it is, there isn't many places to wear it, which is why its a distant second to my Ambre Sultan, which I plan to buy as soon as I have enough disposable cash to not feel guilty about it I'll be sure to try Cabochard Ambre or Voile d'Ambre if I ever get the chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Coromandel's great! My nose isn't very trained, so I lack major words to describe it, but I'm wearing it right now and find that I really enjoy it. A rich, creamy, smooth, and radiant piece.

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    Echoing: Ambre Sultan is the stuff (I like my amber herbal and dry), but Ambre 114 is the stuff that isn't quite as showy and sweeps away the herbs. I see it discussed a bit here, but is Balmain Ambre Gris worth a shot for one who likes these?

Course, Obsession is an instant flashback to being drowned by lipstick-on-cheek-attack relatives all of childhood who wore the stuff 24/7, but it's a very ambery popular designer offering if you didn't suffer its over-exposure.
    The next days I'll visit my mum, so I'll probably have the opportunity to do some testing in Hamburg. I'm now very curious about Ambre 114 and Ambre Précieux.

Ambre Gris by Balmain - I had a sample and found it very boring. Amber by Stendhal as well...

- - - Updated - - -

+ Coromandel is great of course. I hadn't thought of it as an amber, rather a patchouly. But definitely a masterpiece and also a compliment-getter (and I rarely get compliments on my scents)

Right now I'd say Ambre Sultan-Ambra mediterranea-Ambre Russe
    (ps...may i also include L'eau d'ambre,in the category of cozyness in a bottle??)

DieNase, if you want something medicinal/resinous, I'd suggest Tom Ford's Amber Absolute. The opening on that one (which lasts at least 2 hours on me) is more incense-y than amber-y. It's part of my amber holy trinity with Ambre Russe (boozy) and Ambre Sultan (herbal).

Also wonderful (but on the musky/skanky side of amber) are Parfumerie Generale's L'Ombre Fauvre and Felanilla, and on the really smoky side of amber is the discontinued but to-die-for-amazing Sonoma Scent Studio's Original Amber.

I'm intrigued by Ambre 114. It's my test list.

I found Ambre Precieux too powdery for my liking.

Dear ExtremeK, thanks for the recommendations. I'll add the Tom Ford to my test list. Sounds good.

What I don't understand - why does Ambra Nobile by Nobile 1942 not get more love? It was a love at first sniff and a very spontaneous buy, which I usually try to avoid. Still think of it as quite close to my holy grail amber (not knowing many ambers so far).
    It is dry, medicinal, herbal, dusty, incensy...just pure genious. Any thoughts on this relatively unknown jewel?

Tom Ford's, I think.
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

Sound Scents

Les Nombres d'Or Ambre by Mona di Orio gets my vote, just edging out Ambre 114 by Histoire de Parfums
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Hi all. Today I was given some amber samples by a parfumo friend. i haven't tested them all thoroughly yet. Just my first impressios:

Ambre soie - not for me. Liquorice and that's it. Haribo colorado.
    Ambre 114 - sooo boooring. Not up to its hype and up to its price. No herbs, no medicine. Just plain labdanum. I saved 145€
    Ambre precieux - interesting top notes, the flattens to something generic.
    Ambre russe - didn't like it at fist superficial test in june. More patchouli than amber. Upon second test I got aware that it needs lots of time to bloom. Develops into a great boozy amber with some ressemblances to Ambre Sultan.
    Ambre fetiche - wow, that's perverted. Lots of smokey incense. Definitel challeging. Need to try again.

Just my very first impressions. Might change my opinion. So, please don't beat me...
    You still think Tom Ford's Amber is for me?

Tom Ford AA is a very dry, resinous amber. It has a smoky quality which combined with what I take to be frankincense, reminds me of the smell of churches where incense is burned. It is not a sweet, easygoing amber like Ambre 114 and Ambre Precieux. It projects far for the first hour and then becomes more of a skin scent which lingers for a very long time. I find it almost as challenging but not quite as complex as Amber Russe. It doesn't have the boozy qualities of AR and the drydown is not as vanillic-sweet. I find TF AA the most "masculine" of all the ambers I have tried (most of the ones listed here). It is not at all powdery either.

Quote Originally Posted by tiffingirl View Post
    Tom Ford AA is a very dry, resinous amber. It has a smoky quality which combined with what I take to be frankincense, reminds me of the smell of churches where incense is burned. It is not a sweet, easygoing amber like Ambre 114 and Ambre Precieux. It projects far for the first hour and then becomes more of a skin scent which lingers for a very long time. I find it almost as challenging but not quite as complex as Amber Russe. It doesn't have the boozy qualities of AR and the drydown is not as vanillic-sweet. I find TF AA the most "masculine" of all the ambers I have tried (most of the ones listed here). It is not at all powdery either.
    Thanks for the comparison!
    At the moment my holy trinity would be

Ambre Sultan
    Ambra Nobile 1942
    Ambre Russe

Ambra del Nepal is my favorite. I've had my bottle since about 2005 and I'm down to the last 10% and it's killing me. I've heard that it's been reformulated and I'm terrified that it's not the AdN I fell in love with. Other favorites are:

Ambre Russe
    Ambre Sultan
    Blue Amber

And don't laugh... Mary Kay Warm Amber.

I've tried Amber Absolute by Tom Ford now. Not bad. Lots'of incense. Remindy me a bit of Ambre Fwtiche by Goutal, more refined though. Rather like it so far. Much better than Ambre 114 and alike.
    I also'liked Mitzah by Dior. Starts like mixture of Ambre Sultan with a bit of Ambre Fetiche, however weakens quickly and becomes an undefinable sweet something.
    Ambre Nuit by Dior is not particularly interesting imo.

Update:
    Think of buying a full bottle of Ambre Sultan. Getting a 20 ml decant of Amber Absolute (despite the very quick test) and a small decant of ambre russe. Still very happy with my holy grail amber Ambra Nobile, couldn't be pushed off the throne ny neither Ambre 114 nor Ambre precieux (don't particularly like these).

I am really into 180 Ans D Creation. A gorgeous blend of Guerlinade,amber,vanilla, and soft woods.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Sage Machado Garnet

Banned
    Blog Entries

Amber Absolute

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Les Nombres d'Or Ambre by Mona di Orio gets my vote, just edging out Ambre 114 by Histoire de Parfums
    I not too long ago got the Mona Di Orio and it is indeed excellent.

(3663)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Ambre Sultan Serge's best IMO. However, I have been entranced by Amouage Opus VI lately.

I love so many Amber fragrances in their own way.

Amber lovers, give a try to these as they all have a little something different. Amber is not my favorite, but I like these:

Le Sourire de Diable, L' Antichambre
    Ambre Premier, Jovoy Paris
    Jeux de Peau, Serge Lutens
    Ambre Fetiche, Annick Goutal

L'Air du Desert Marocain

love,love,love Hermes Ambre Narguile.