Code of Conduct

Default that time of year again

From the front page of the hometown paper.

Report: Top fragrances may contain hidden chemicals
    May 21st, 2010 @ 4:03pm
    By Dr. Kim Mulvihill

SALT LAKE CITY -- With a spritz or dab, the fragrance industry is big business, pulling in billions of dollars in sales. But now a new report says the business really stinks.

"We tested 17 top-selling perfumes -- celebrity fragrances, teen body sprays -- and found all of the products had many secret chemicals that weren't listed on labels and many chemicals of concern," says Stacy Malkin, co-founder of the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, a national coalition of health and environmental groups. The coalition commissioned the report.

Among the products tested: Glo by JLo, Brittney Spears' Curious and Giorgio Armani's Acqua Di Gio. Her group commissioned the report.

"The products contain an average of 10 allergens each that can trigger headaches, skin rashes asthma attacks. And we also found many of products contain hormone-disrupting chemicals linked to long-term health effects, such as cancer or infertility," Malkin says.

The report says not only are the ingredients kept secret from consumers, but most have never been assessed for safety.

However, in a statement, the chief scientist from an industry trade group says what stinks is the report.

John Bailey from the Personal Care Products Council, said the report grossly misrepresents the science, erroneously alleges that many chemicals have not been tested for safety, and that consumers can be confident in the safety of their products.

But will this report cause consumers to turn up their noses? Reaction is mixed.

"I wouldn't buy any product with chemicals in it," one woman said.

"There's enough chemicals in everything else we do. I'm not giving up the perfume," another woman said.

Some people are sensitive to certain chemicals, even when others are wearing them. The FDA does not require fragrance manufacturers to disclose the ingredients of synthetic fragrances because these formulas are considered trade secrets. Today, only nine ingredients are prohibited by the FDA for use in cosmetics.

Default Re: that time of year again

Good grief. We've got petroleum spilled all over the Gulf of Mexico, brown clouds of air pollution all over China, and people worry about "chemicals" in perfumes? I never cease to be amazed by people's ignorance and lack of common sense.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    "I wouldn't buy any product with chemicals in it," one woman said.
    Good luck with that!

I completely agree with Doc Elly. People sure do have some messed up priorities. This boils down to personal liberty vs common problems we all share. I guess it's easier to become your neighbors adversary than to realize you yourself are part of the bigger problem.

Speaking of, I wonder what kind of environmental impact perfume manufacture has? Besides overuse of specific ingredients (ie sandalwood, civet, etc).

Ooh, I wonder what she thinks her clothing, her food, her soaps, shampoos, car, home, bedclothes, (you get the picture) all contain... Why is it that "chemicals" has come to mean ICKY STUFF WE DON"T UNDERSTAND instead of the elements that make up the universe? (I wonder if she'd turn down a blood transfusion because it contained "chemicals?") Sigh.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Yeah, it *is* that time again... (sigh)

Let's take it to the typical, hysterical, logical conclus - er - play a bit:

More "scientific" reports with scary soundbitelets are featured in the media, with special items on the 9:00pm news.
    Time and Newsweek run covers with men in white coats holding testubes in a menacing manner. Headlines something like "What you don't know will hurt you" and "Killing your neighbor just to smell nice". The Enquirer goes with "The Scenter of Evil" over a picture of Jean-Claude Ellena.
    A groundswell of outrage, created and fed by the media, leads elected officials to begin campaigning with slogans such as "With Jim Harrison, there's no such thing as secret chemicals".
    Some companies are branded antisocial - or perhaps anti-American. European perfumers, the French in particular, are painted as arrogant furrin exploiters, out to harm Americans by making them smell good.
    More "scientific" reports, this time emphasizing the potential harm to children.
    Guerlain is banned by some department stores in a PR move, with spokespersons announcing proudly "We here at Macy's want to protect not only our customers and their children, but the general public. We feel it is our public duty, for don't forget, perfumes project."
    "Don't forget, perfumes project" becomes the slogan for public service announcements made by celebrities such as Sean Combs. ("I used to create perfume, before I knew better. But now I do...")
    It's time. Politcal bandwagon demands legislation.
    The government bans perfume. The measure is known as "Prohibition".
    Fumerunners begin smuggling wares in via Canada and Mexico, as well as stashing clandestine juice into the holds of yachts and small boats.
    This picks up steam as organized crime smells the money (and hey, may be even the wares) and realizes how large the Basenotes community is.
    The mob becomes even more powerful that they ever were. This time, it's truly global.
    We all go to jail.

Last edited by synergy; 22nd May 2010 at 10:55 AM.
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    Good grief. We've got petroleum spilled all over the Gulf of Mexico, brown clouds of air pollution all over China, and people worry about "chemicals" in perfumes? I never cease to be amazed by people's ignorance and lack of common sense.
    Here, here !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

@ synergy

Lol. That sounds awfully, awfully familiar. And not just in a 1920's kind of way...

But at least focusing on all those harmful chemicals will help keep the public's mind off of those minor headaches, like a lousy economy.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

This ain't our first rodeo, huh Mr. Bon Vivant?

(still having visions of signs saying "Thank you for not wearing perfume"; kids getting suspended from school for being "inappropriately scented"; furtive exchanges on street corners "hey baby, I got Chanel for you, I got Lutens, c'mon mama, the first hit is free"; a whole new industry of reverse air filters for illegal home perfumers; underground smelleasies; FBI sting operations at clandestine Sniffapaloozas...)

Yup. The lousy economy is firmly on The List of Things We Do Not Talk About. Other entries being the collapse of S&Ls under Bush père; the global rise in real-deal old-school slavery, sexual or otherwise; Halliburton; the Enron scandal under Bush fils; Monsanto's -er- oopsies with genetically modified crops; Halliburton; the lack of proper consumer watchdogs in the USA; and did I say Halliburton?

But *gasp* chemicals? ICKY STUFF WE DON'T UNDERSTAND? (lol btw, actiasluna)
    Gosh, just as bad as killer bees. Or bird 'flu. Or fire ants. Or Martians.
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?