Code of Conduct

Thread: Oriental Rose

Default Oriental Rose

I am looking for a nice spicy Oriental fragrance with a strong, non powdery rose accord. Any suggestions?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Oriental Rose

Let's see...Opium is a huge oriental, but it's light on the rose. The vanilla, patchouli and opoponax base can get powdery on some. Opium is such a spice monster, your skin may love it. Besides, Opium has been around since 1977 and has all sorts of variations on the same theme, one of them is bound to interest you.

Of the newer fragrances, I particularly like Natori, especially the body cream. Paestum Rose by Eau d’Italie, Andy Tauer Incense Rose are both spicy orientals which feature a non-powdery rose. Coco by Chanel is spicy, more than rosey but that Chanel rose mai is definitely there. The mimosa in it might make it dry down a bit powdery but mimosa is tricky that way.

I could go on for many more but this will get you started with some classics and some newer things. I don't know if you are interested in indie perfumers...that's a whole 'nother thing.

As for sources, you can do a search on notes in the basenotes directory. If you enter rose, and whatever spices you like, that should direct you to orientals with a rose note in it.

Two other sources are OsMoz.com, where you can search by olfactory groups and Sniffapaloozamagazine.com, which has special sections devoted to rose fragrances.

And regarding that powdery note, steer clear of fragrances with iris, or orris in them.

Happy hunting!
    Last edited by RHM; 22nd May 2010 at 01:56 AM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Thank you! I just was given a gift of a EDT of Opium buy my husband and I do love it. I have heard of that Incense Rose by Andy Tauer before and now I am convinced I need to try this...it sounds lovely. I will go on a hunt for samples of your suggestions and let you know what I think - Merci!

Dependent

Another incense-rose concoction worth checking out is Paestum Rose from Eau D'Italie. The scent is not an overpowering one, and the rose is distinct and not powdery.

Another one to try is Ormonde Jayne's Ta'if, a gorgeous spicy rose. Listed notes: pink pepper, saffron, dates, rose, freesia, orange blossom, jasmine, broom, and amber.

If you are ordering samples online then you might like to try Amouage Lyric Woman - it's not cheap but if you like it is quite unique. Not heavily oriental but exotic in it's own way.

Basenotes Institution

I don't think Paestum Rose is particularly spicy, myself.

Try Egoiste by Chanel (the original not Platinum Egoiste) and/or Rose 31 by Le Labo.

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 5th June 2010 at 06:05 PM.

In addition to Lyric Woman, you might also try Lyric Man, as it also has a very nice spiced rose accord. Also, +1 Rose 31.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Hillaire

Ubar seems to be what you are describing.
    You might also like Parfum Sacre.

May I add Floris China Rose, wich is very intense, spicy and Oriental.
    Another spicy rose, but not heavy on the oriental side is Diptyque Opôné, a beautiful yet minimalist mix of rose and saffron....

Off-Scenter

Another endorsement for both Lyric and Parfum Sacré. The latter especially may be exactly what you're after if spices are in order. For yet another outstanding rose-centered oriental, there's also Guerlain's Nahéma, though it's not as obviously spicy as Parfum Sacré.

Not sure if it is Oriental but Montale's Attar is a very strong, non-powdery rose.

No votes for Eau d'Italie's Paestum Rose, Caron's Poivre, The Different Company's Rose Poivree, or Penhaglion's Elixir yet?

I recommend trying all four.

This is so exciting to see your suggestions...I can't wait to track some of these down. I am so happy to have found this forum! I thought I would share a "cheap thrill" niche perfumer I found on ETSY. I just ordered some small sample vials and they are pretty interesting and have long lasting scents. I guess this is like BPAL? I have never ordered anything from BPAL, but one of the reviewers of 13 Gypsies mentioned it....http://www.etsy.com/shop/13GypsiesPerfumery NOTE * this is not my website and I am not getting anything from mentioning this either* I just thought it was a cool concept. I got Blood Red, Enigma, Beware, Diabolique, Wool of Bat and Scardey Cat in a sampler for 20 dollars. The Blood Red I am wearing today and I tried Enigma yesterday. Blood Red is very good. Enigma is not bad either, just not as interesting. They all smell good in the little vials. I plan on getting a big vial of the Blood Red and maybe others if I like them.

Un profumo affettuoso

You might try Black Aoud by Montale. Extreme staying-power, rose plus warmth. Straightforward, yet very cleverly constructed... first rate ingredients.

Rose Kashmirie from Les Parfums de Rosine is the most beautiful, luxurious oriental rose I know of.

Top notes - saffron, coriander, bergamote and rose
    Middle notes - myrhh, rose and peony
    base notes - vetyver, sandalwood, amber, benzoin, vanille and grass.

Also maybe Ombre Rose - some find it very powdery (it has iris) but I find it more creamy and ambery, and the rose in it is just so velvety and posh.

Frankincense - Myrrh - Rose Maroc By Regina Harris !Oriental deep and warm rose scent
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Quote Originally Posted by Un profumo affettuoso View Post
    You might try Black Aoud by Montale. Extreme staying-power, rose plus warmth. Straightforward, yet very cleverly constructed... first rate ingredients.
    +1 to this. Another that smells quite good, and has some similar notes (at one point I swear they smell identical) is E. Coudray Esperys. It has good longevity (especially on the hair) and doesn't project nearly as loudly as Black Aoud.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!