Code of Conduct

Default Do you pick a fragrance to wear based on the color of clothings you are wearing that day?

For me I associate my fragrance with the color of clothes that I am wearing that day... to me fragrance has color... so depending on what color I am wearing for the day, I select my fragrance... these are the fragrance from my collection that I usually wear with these colors... what about you?

Red - Chergui, Fahrenheit, Burberry London

Green - Polo Original, Green Irish Tweed, Escencia Lowe, Guerlain Vetiver

Yellow - New Haarlem, Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT & Concentree, Jubilation XXV

Blue - Le Male, Bleu de Chanel

Brown - New Haarlem, Angel Men, L'Instant Guerlain Extreme

Purple - Green Irish Tweed, Back to Black, Le Labo Rose 31

Pink - Chergui

Black - Antaeus, Encre Noire, M7, Back to Black, Bond No 9 NY Oud, La Nuit,

White - Amouage Hommage Attar
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Do you pick a fragrance to wear based on the color of clothings you are wearing that day?

No, I do not. I wear whatever I feel like based on my mood.

Default Re: Do you pick a fragrance to wear based on the color of clothings you are wearing that day?

I've noticed I reach for Terre d'Hermes a lot more when I'm wearing a white shirt, but besides that usually no relation.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I do the same.

But i do have to hand it to you, pretty cool.

No.

LOL I totally do this! I'll be in the shower thinking about what the weather is like, what I am going to wear and what fragrance would go best with all that. Lol I was shopping recently with a friend and made a beeline for this really nice burnt sienna colored wool sweater. She says "That would look nice on you." and I replied "It would go perfectly with Ambre Sultan!" That's when I knew I had a sickness
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Blog Entries

Not me.

I've never done this! How odd.

Banned

nope ... the weather sometimes influences my choice ...

Do you then layer your fragrances when wearing stripes?

I do this fairly frequently. What I'm wearing, what I plan on doing, and what the weather is like all contribute to my desire to wear a certain fragrance. When I picture what the day ahead holds, I find a specific scent will call out to me as a complement to my activities and schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Do you then layer your fragrances when wearing stripes?
    Yes, and polka dots can wreak havoc on ones collection
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    No.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I'm the same way. I love posting in SOTD threads and then looking back to see if I can remember a certain day based on the fragrance I wore.
    Current top 3:
    1) Gucci Pour Homme II
    2) Givenchy Play Intense
    3) Dolce & Gabbana The One

Nope, all about the mood for me.

mood and occasions only =)

Yes. But not exactly only by color but I usually wear same fragrances with same outfit. For example when I wear light blue shirt it is Gucci II day. For brown sweather it is something gourmand - usually Rochas Man or Pi. When I feel like wearing something not that special and polished to me (usually grey clothes) I wear Fahrenheit, Encre Noire, Platinum Egoiste, Black Suede Touch or Terre d'Hermes. Body Kouros fits great with white. Dior Homme is my "best and most elegant clothes" fragrance, while Dior Homme Intense universal casual outfit fragrance.
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

please someone tell me how to block these threads.....

Are you a synesthete? Do you associate colors with numbers too?

I do that to some extent. I don't have a precise system, but I do experience some fragrance families as not matching certain colors. For example, if I'm wearing earth tones, I typically avoid bright citrusy and floral fragrances. And if I'm wearing pink or sky blue, I typically avoid leathers and orientals.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Not even once. However there are certain dark/thick juices I prefer not to wear when wearing a white T, since I spray on my chest.

only done this once. my purple shirt somehow just "goes" with my A*Men

huh, I should try using your thinking when I can't decide...like today blue striped shirt I would have chosen gucci pour homme ii, le male, or prada amber pour homme ^^

No, for I only wear only black, white and grey. Only in Winter will a splash of colour enter my wardrobe in the form of a scarf. If a red scarf, I suppose Hammam Bouquet might come to mind.

No, but both the colors and the perfume I wear are determined by mood, weather, etc., so there is a connection, just not a direct causal one.

Basenotes Plus

No, never.

I almost always do this. If it's not possible to coordinate it with my primary long sleeved shirt, I'll wear a t-shirt or undershirt of the color that best fits the scent, if at all possible.

Granted, it's not like I force myself to wear a specific color based on my sotd - the two are both related to my mood, and so it's sort of a tandem choice.

I only take it into consideration if I'm looking really goth at that particular moment. Otherwise it's all about my mood, the weather, and where I'm going.

Yes, always. I can't decide on a fragrance before having decided on my clothing. But it's not only about the colour in my case but also about the texture. I don't reach for a cold, crisp scent if I am wearing something soft and warm (but I might choose a warm scent to soften a formal outfit). I do deviate from the list below but I do tend to reach for the listed fragrances more often than for others.

Purple - OJ Orris Noir
    Green - Ormonde Woman
    White in the winter - something with aldehydes (mostly Citizen Queen)
    White in warm weather - carefree florals (e.g., La Chasse)
    A certain light brown, ankle long lace vest - Chanel Beige
    Brown - Warm woods (Micallef Gaiac, FdB) and some Lutens (Chergui, Five O'Clock)
    Black - 1740, Serge Noir

I think SculptureOfSoul has nailed the reason why this all works this way for many of us: mood and weather (plus occasion, etc.) determine the choice of clothing (inc. colour) and also the choice of fragrance so they would naturally fit with each other.

Usualy not, but I own some scents that are so refined and elegant that I always use them with a white iron shirt. Example CHANEL Pour Monsieur Concentree, Cartier Santos Concentree, CHANEL Antaeus, Amouage Dia, and Hermès Equipage. -And I would never ever wear them with shorts and t-shirt ;-)

No.

for swap/sale:

For me, it comes down to, sometimes, would the fragrance I originally had in mind go with the overall color I'm wearing? Most of the time it's not a problem, but there are rare cases that I do change cologne based on the outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondflame View Post
    do you then layer your fragrances when wearing stripes?
    LMAO

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here