Code of Conduct
    Point Blank

Default Any suggestions?

Hey everbody,

Ive sampled quite a lot of men fragrances lately but has leaved me more confused than enlightened; Im hoping basenoters have something to add.

Im looking for:

1) Daytime scent, something fresh but "semi-gourmand". Boss Bottled is the closest one to hit the target so far... I like the fresh opening and warm woody base, giving it an "elegant smoothness" imo... However, the apple and warmth seems to get too much for me after a while, making it slightly cloying... The scent should be office/suit compatible... I seem to dislike scents with rose in it - Caraceni 1913 is the worst Ive tried (although cool bottle). Creed Himalaya is too uninteresting imo (I just smell soap), I dislike the melon note in MI, Egoiste Platinum is too metallic or something - it just eludes me, I like the beginning of Nicolai New York but not the "make-up bag" scent when it dries, hmm... It seems like I like vetiver scents on the other hand, I like Guerlain Vetiver and Mazzolari (but the latter has something animalic that makes it too rough in the edges for office wear)... I like some incense notes in it...

2) Evening scent, something making a good companion with the daytime scent, but preferrably with a stronger incense, sweet, oriental character...

Thanks for your input!!
    Last edited by Point Blank; 22nd May 2010 at 03:15 PM.

Default Re: Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Hey everbody,

Ive sampled quite a lot of men fragrances lately but has leaved me more confused than enlightened; Im hoping basenoters have something to add.

Im looking for:

1) Daytime scent, something fresh but "semi-gourmand". Boss Bottled is the closest one to hit the target so far... I like the fresh opening and warm woody base, giving it an "elegant smoothness" imo... However, the apple and warmth seems to get too much for me after a while, making it slightly cloying... The scent should be office/suit compatible... I seem to dislike scents with rose in it - Caraceni 1913 is the worst Ive tried (although cool bottle). Creed Himalaya is too uninteresting imo (I just smell soap), I dislike the melon note in MI, Egoiste Platinum is too metallic or something - it just eludes me, I like the beginning of Nicolai New York but not the "make-up bag" scent when it dries, hmm... It seems like I like vetiver scents on the other hand, I like Guerlain Vetiver and Mazzolari (but the latter has something animalic that makes it too rough in the edges for office wear)... I like some incense notes in it...

2) Evening scent, something making a good companion with the daytime scent, but preferrably with a stronger incense, sweet, oriental character...

Thanks for your input!!
    1) You like Guerlain Vetiver you would most likely like Grey Vetiver. I think it's better done and more modern and fresh. Or even possibly Encre Noire. For a semi-gourmand during the daytime you could try L'Homme which is not too far off from the vibe Boss Bottle gives off. Not too similar but I think you might like it.
    2.) Body Kouros instantly came to mind. It's a smoky, sweet, eucalyptus incense oriental.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

For 1, if you like fig, the original Ferragamo for men may a good one. For 2, if you like a tobacco, Michael for Men sounds like it might be the way to go.

Nejma V

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    1) You like Guerlain Vetiver you would most likely like Grey Vetiver. I think it's better done and more modern and fresh. Or even possibly Encre Noire. For a semi-gourmand during the daytime you could try L'Homme which is not too far off from the vibe Boss Bottle gives off. Not too similar but I think you might like it.
    2.) Body Kouros instantly came to mind. It's a smoky, sweet, eucalyptus incense oriental.
    I will definitely try out Grey Vetiver - sounds promising! If by L'homme, you mean YSL, it is already part of my small collection - I do like it a lot but I find that it lacks personality or, maybe, that it doesnt match mine. It is also funny that you mention Encre Noire, together with L'homme, that is half of my collection! Encre Noire was a blind buy and I dont regret it for a second - I absolutely love it - it is dark, mysterious, incensy and plenty eccentric - I have never smelled something like it. It is a tough one to wear though - a bit too dark and unsettling for office wear, a bit too cold and aloof for evening wear. I'll check out Body Kouros. Cheers!

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    For 1, if you like fig, the original Ferragamo for men may a good one. For 2, if you like a tobacco, Michael for Men sounds like it might be the way to go.
    I dont know if I like fig - I am simply not that trained in scents - but I will try out Ferragamo and find out! I was actually thinking about ordering a sample of Michael for Men, based on reviews, so that may well be an apt recommendation. Thanks!

Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nejma V
    I never heard of Nejma before - I just checked out the website. Thanks, I look into it further...

How about Burberry London? I consider it a semi-gourmand woodsy scent. If you prefer a fresher day scent for the office, you can't go wrong with Eau Sauvage from Dior. Also from Dior is Cologne Blanche. It's a light woodsy scent that's smooth and easy to wear. Also, you can try Creed's Tabarome which is fresh but with a touch of smooth tabacco.

For night scent, there are so many nice orientals to choose from. For designer houses, I like Jaipur pour Homme very much, but it's not very incensy. Maybe Avignon by Comme Des Garcons if you like straight up incense. For smoky yet sweet fragrances, my pick is Idole by Lubin. L'artisan Parfumeur's Havana Vanille also has a smooth, sweet vanilla tinged with tabacco scent.

Check out Burberry London Special Edition for something fresh and slightly gourmand. I dislike the original Burberry London (the cedar note just doesn't work for me in that fragrance), but the Special Edition removes the cedar and adds a bit more citrus. Lighter, fresher and much better than the original IMO. Perfect for a night out and light enough for office wear as well.