Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mysore Sandalwood essential oil query

This morning I was comparing two essential oils that have both been sold to me as Mysore Sandalwood. Oil A has a smoother kind of smell to me. Oil B has more of a dry, jagged, scratchy, kind of "high-pitched" smell to it. Sorry if those aren't the best descriptive terms, but they're the ones that really spring to mind. Both oils smell in the right kind of ballpark for being Mysore in my (limited) understanding of that, and they both smell fairly similar. I spread drops of both oils on the backs of my hands, and then I actually had a shower, applied my SOTD and went about my business. After showering, I noticed that oil B had a much stronger smell than oil A, with more noticeable sillage as well. Oil A was still slightly present, but not nearly as much as oil B. So, Mysore experts, from this description, which oil would you think is more likely to be the real deal? My understanding is that Mysore (and quite possibly non-Mysore) sandalwood has quite low sillage, so does that mean that oil B is more likely to be adulterated?

Default Re: Mysore Sandalwood essential oil query

My pure Mysore is very close wearing and has very little sillage, but I don't think that necessarily means you have an inauthentic oil. I would imagine that various ways of distillation, different batches, and the like could contribute to the different experiences and performances. Also, mine is just from my local herbal store (and was only about $20 for the small vial), so I would imagine it's actually cut pretty thin. They had another version that was 3-4 times as much, so maybe you have a couple various concentrations?

*runs off to douse self in mysore sandalwood*
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I'm with jrd4t, Oil A is probably cleaner, but without knowing brands / pricing etc. it's hard to add much?

But I will anyway . . .

I used to wear Mysore Oil imported from India in the 70s and developed a taste for it, which brought me to the earlier incarnation of Crabtree & Evelyn Mysore Santal EDT in the mid 80s as a 'polite cologney' version of what I had consigned to my vaguely hippie days. It seems since then real Mysore has become so scarce that you have to look twice at anything that calls itself Mysore Oil. I did come across a firm selling tiny bottles, just a few ml, at USD 120 a pop here (Spanish I think, can't recall the name and didn't get any replies when I asked if anyone here knew the line) and it certainly felt like the real deal altho I didn't buy it. I checked the website and it mentioned that the perfumer had something of a stockpile and was able to still sell the real thing - at a price!

Last year I bought a bottle of Santalum Album from La Via del Profumo, which is essentially Mysore in alcohol in a light EDT concentration and Mr. Dubrana was kind enough to include a vial of Mysore & Australian Sandalwood undiluted for me to compare. The Mysore was as I remembered it and certainly it is warm, gentle, very smooth and wears close - very unassuming but quite beautiful. The Amouage Santal Attar is also close to this IMO altho clearly it is bolstered by other ingredients to stretch it out and also give it a bit more oomph.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but I doubt there's much pure Mysore out there - certainly not in health food or New Age shops. If the major houses with serious money have all switched to Australian I just don't think it's likely, but you never know - maybe someone else had the foresight to lay down a stockpile a few decades ago . . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 23rd May 2010 at 09:28 AM.

If the scent holds a long time, and especially if it lasts through a shower, it may be that it's been extended with aromachemicals (Ebanol and Javanol both have better longevity and are more powerful than real sandalwood).

Does anybody knows how much does it cost 5ml of real Mysore sandalwood? I found some sources at internet and the prices were something close of 20 dollars 5ml. I don`t know if this is a good price or if it`s cheap for the real stuff. And also, is there any reliable online source of it? I`d like a small amount, 1-5ml of the stuff, to know how it smells

Green Irish Tweed in the '90s, to the extent I can trust my nose of then, used to include authentic, quality Mysore Sandalwood, which was wrapping the whole composition in an aura of quiet beauty and mystery. I have troubles locating any trace of that in present formulas but I'd be happy to stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Green Irish Tweed in the '90s, to the extent I can trust my nose of then, used to include authentic, quality Mysore Sandalwood, which was wrapping the whole composition in an aura of quiet beauty and mystery. I have troubles locating any trace of that in present formulas but I'd be happy to stand corrected.
    On this point, Creed used to specify 'Sandalwood from Mysore' as an ingredient of GIT on their UK website. Maybe a year or so ago they dropped the 'Mysore' bit. Wouldn't know if either of my bottles contain this or not.

Basenotes Institution

The only one I've smelled is the Montale, that also claims is Mysore. It smells, like Oil A, Will.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Does anybody knows how much does it cost 5ml of real Mysore sandalwood? I found some sources at internet and the prices were something close of 20 dollars 5ml. I don`t know if this is a good price or if it`s cheap for the real stuff. And also, is there any reliable online source of it? I`d like a small amount, 1-5ml of the stuff, to know how it smells
    That looks to be around the going price for "Mysore Sandalwood" oil, according to my trusty research assistant, Google. It's also around the same price as the common Australian variant. I don't think there's anyway to know unless you buy it ...and even then, how would you know it's real?

I was in the same predicament a couple of years ago but eventually bit the bullet and got myself a small bottle. I had a pleasant e-mail exchange and telephone conversation with Alec Lawless, who reassured me that their Mysore sandalwood is the real deal (albeit not aged). Coupled with the odd discussion with WillC and a couple of other Basenoters, I believe him:

http://www.aqua-oleum.co.uk/proddeta...dalwood_mysore

Personally, the oil very closely resembles Oil A, as described by the OP. For those looking for a natural version of Oil B (if it really was synthetic) should give Vanuatu sandalwood a try:

http://www.edenbotanicals.com/essent...alwood_vanuatu

The closes to Oil A I've found so far is the Dabur sandalwood I got from here: http://www.la-boutique-bio.com/produ...oducts_id=1115 I got mine a couple of years ago and have no idea whether the currently sold oil is the same. Mine is deep, woody, mellow, creamy and with low-key topnotes - none of those abrasive, sour notes which are so often found in sandalwood oils these days.

Lawless' Mysore smells nice, but to my nose there is just a bit of that "freshly distilled" harshness, it may or may not go away with age. Great oil but I prefer my Dabur.

I've tried one batch of the Vanuatu from Eden, that was quite possibly the worst sandalwood experience. It may have an increadibly high concentration of Santalol's but the smell was not what I would look for in sandalwood. Another fellow basenoter described it as "smell of a urinal" and I tend to agree. Super harsh, filled with that acrid sour-ish stench found often in Australian sandalwood. Tried diluting it with alcohol but even when diluted it stank, so I sold my bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I was in the same predicament a couple of years ago but eventually bit the bullet and got myself a small bottle. I had a pleasant e-mail exchange and telephone conversation with Alec Lawless, who reassured me that their Mysore sandalwood is the real deal (albeit not aged). Coupled with the odd discussion with WillC and a couple of other Basenoters, I believe him:

Personally, the oil very closely resembles Oil A, as described by the OP. For those looking for a natural version of Oil B (if it really was synthetic) should give Vanuatu sandalwood a try:

http://www.edenbotanicals.com/essent...alwood_vanuatu
    Thanks for the information Trebor! That`s exactly what i was needing, a reliable source tested by someone who has already smelled the real thing.

Trebor, have you tried the amouage santal attar? If so, what do you think of it? Give me your most honest opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    That looks to be around the going price for "Mysore Sandalwood" oil, according to my trusty research assistant, Google. It's also around the same price as the common Australian variant. I don't think there's anyway to know unless you buy it ...and even then, how would you know it's real?
    I also noticed that, that the australian variant has a simliar price. I found it very weird, considering that the mysore one is rarer, that`s why i decided to ask first, since my experience with sandalwood is only in fragrances, never tried it on the essential oil form

And has anyone heard of Malaysian Sandalwood? I have saw, on my search, that it`s even more expensive than mysore sandalwood...

The store that i found selling mysore sandalwood was this one:
    http://www.qt-store.com/servlet/the-...c-wood,/Detail

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    The closes to Oil A I've found so far is the Dabur sandalwood I got from here: http://www.la-boutique-bio.com/produ...oducts_id=1115 I got mine a couple of years ago and have no idea whether the currently sold oil is the same. Mine is deep, woody, mellow, creamy and with low-key topnotes - none of those abrasive, sour notes which are so often found in sandalwood oils these days.

Lawless' Mysore smells nice, but to my nose there is just a bit of that "freshly distilled" harshness, it may or may not go away with age. Great oil but I prefer my Dabur.

I've tried one batch of the Vanuatu from Eden, that was quite possibly the worst sandalwood experience. It may have an increadibly high concentration of Santalol's but the smell was not what I would look for in sandalwood. Another fellow basenoter described it as "smell of a urinal" and I tend to agree. Super harsh, filled with that acrid sour-ish stench found often in Australian sandalwood. Tried diluting it with alcohol but even when diluted it stank, so I sold my bottle.
    Thanks for the link, Igor. I also came across Dabur sandalwood some time ago but found the packaging a little dubious. It's great to hear some feedback on this one.

I totally agree with you about the Lawless Mysore sandalwood - freshly distilled indeed but not too harsh to my nose.

As for Vanuatu sandalwood, I have mixed feelings about it. I found it to be quite temperamental on my skin - it starts off very sour and, occasionally, mellows out to something more palatable after a few hours. Unfortunately, it mostly stays sharp and slightly urinal for most of its duration. Both longevity and sillage are much superior to the other sandalwood oils I've tried so far. However, the big question is, will it improve with age? Personally, I don't have the money or patience to find out.

I've also tried New Caledonian sandalwood and find it to be as soft as Mysore but with a harshness found in the Vanuatu variety. The most distinctive aspect of New Caledonian is a fuzzy berry note that's prevalent during the opening and for the next couple of hours.

Trebor, have you tried the amouage santal attar? If so, what do you think of it? Give me your most honest opinion!
    Rick, I've fleetingly tried it but can't confirm if it's the real thing. However, I've read conflicting views about its authenticity. The Amouage store has long withdrawn all the attar oils on show, so I can't even go back there to re-evaluate it.

Oh, dear! I think I've read many bad things about this supplier but I can't be completely sure. Maybe Igor can confirm...

Interesting to see this thread resurrected. Oil A was in fact the aqua oleum oil Trebor and other mention above. Oil B I got off eBay. Over time the differences between the two have become much more evident to me, and now the aqua oleum oil smells great (although not as good as the Mysore Sandalwood sold by La Via del Profumo, which I also have a bottle of), whereas the eBay oil smells crap. Oh well, I didn't pay that much for it.

I bought a bit of Mysore from this seller http://www.kgstiles.com/moreinfo/sandalwoodmysore.htm it's from a 2004 distillation, smooth but pricey and very quiet (compared to Lawless s.). I wonder if it's been diluted with a carrier oil.

Anyone here bought the Tamil (2006) & Sri Lanka (2007) sandalwoods from this source and how's the quality?

http://www.naturesgift.com/essential...htm#SANDALWOOD

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Anyone here bought the Tamil (2006) & Sri Lanka (2007) sandalwoods from this source and how's the quality?

My instinct tells me this is a reputable source, although I have no knowledge of these varieties. I think they were selling aged Mysore oil a few years ago.

My instinct tells me this is a reputable source, although I have no knowledge of these varieties. I think they were selling aged Mysore oil a few years ago.
    Thanks, Trebor, I've also heard good things about this seller and believe they're pure/unadulterated. It's the quality I'm concerned with (esp. for the price), I've smelled some aged Tamil EO (2002) and the oil was still quite harsh.

Rick, I wouldn't send QT any of my money. A friend had bought an "aged Mysore" oil from him a number of years ago which was very very good, but when the same friend later reordered the same product he received something that smelled mostly of cedar with hardly any sandalwood. When he raised the issue with the seller, he was told that it's exactly the same product and that he basically shouldn't be complaining. I've also tried a few of their ouds and they all smelled adulterated to me. I would stay away.

I also came across Dabur sandalwood some time ago but found the packaging a little dubious. It's great to hear some feedback on this one.
    The packaging is a bit odd, but consider the fact that this is sold as food-grade pure Sandalwood and it makes sense. The bottle actually has a rubber stopper attached to the neck of the bottle itself with some aluminium holder - the same type of packaging used in the medical industry to deliver vaccines and injectable medicines - you can puncture the thick rubber stopper with a a sterile syringe needle, extract some of the oil inside into the syringe and then withdraw. The stopper will close the gap once the needle is removed, preserving sterility of the bottle contents.

The packaging is a bit odd, but consider the fact that this is sold as food-grade pure Sandalwood and it makes sense. The bottle actually has a rubber stopper attached to the neck of the bottle itself with some aluminium holder - the same type of packaging used in the medical industry to deliver vaccines and injectable medicines - you can puncture the thick rubber stopper with a a sterile syringe needle, extract some of the oil inside into the syringe and then withdraw. The stopper will close the gap once the needle is removed, preserving sterility of the bottle contents.
    Oh, I remember you telling me about this one some time ago! I had no idea that this oil was the very one you were describing.

Rick, I wouldn't send QT any of my money. A friend had bought an "aged Mysore" oil from him a number of years ago which was very very good, but when the same friend later reordered the same product he received something that smelled mostly of cedar with hardly any sandalwood. When he raised the issue with the seller, he was told that it's exactly the same product and that he basically shouldn't be complaining. I've also tried a few of their ouds and they all smelled adulterated to me. I would stay away.
    Thanks for helping me not wasting money Igor. I found the price too good to be true, and also the poor webdesign of the site just pushed the alert button for me. That's why i decided to up the thread, hoping that someone would say me if it was a reliable source. So i'll discard this one and stick with the fonts already mentioned.

Rick, I've fleetingly tried it but can't confirm if it's the real thing. However, I've read conflicting views about its authenticity. The Amouage store has long withdrawn all the attar oils on show, so I can't even go back there to re-evaluate it.
    I didn't understood right. There were quality conflicts over amouage attars? Cause their santal one maybe on my list of future purchases... All the attars include homage and tribute too?

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    I bought a bit of Mysore from this seller http://www.kgstiles.com/moreinfo/sandalwoodmysore.htm it's from a 2004 distillation, smooth but pricey and very quiet (compared to Lawless s.). I wonder if it's been diluted with a carrier oil.

Phibess, the good thing about the company you shared the link is the variety of sizes. 2,5ml would be enough for me, since i don't have perfumer habilities to create a blend for me Altough i was today imagining would it be a composition made with some of my favorites notes at their best qualities - vanilla, sandalwood, a dry leather, clove. On my mind it sounds cozy and perfect for winter.

If i understood right, their prices are higher because, like agarwood, the aged one is more complex and richer, right?

Rick, I think Amouage has realised that they're going through the testers quicker than anticipated, hence the withdrawal of them!

As for Santal, some have said it's not pure Mysore sandalwood but maybe the synthetic variety.

Basenotes Institution

So, since you bought this a couple of years ago, it has had some time to age, no? Have you noticed it's aging 'better' than when you first bought it?

My partner has a bottle of very old Sandalwood oil by The Body Shop (the corporate, franchise company you see in malls all over the US here) and it's about 20 years old. It most likely is not Mysore, but it smells FAN-tastic.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Just put on a drop of the Amouage Attar - first thing in the morning so no distractions - and I am convinced this is good Mysore Sandalwood oil. It is the same smooth, warm texture and scent I know from many years ago and very, very similar to the sample from La Via del Profumo (profumo.it).

My nose is amateur so I cannot be more specific than that BUT it would not surprise me if they have employed a touch of something to subtly extend / enhance the scent, maybe synthetic sandalwood (is it 'santalool' - need to do a bit of reading). I do recall from my A / B comparison a while back that the Amouage had just a little more 'lift' than the Santalum Album from profumo.

Anyway - it's just great, but for anyone reading here who has not tried Mysore Oil please do not build up 'Holy Grail' expectations about it like a Patou Pour Homme or Homage Attar etc. Mysore Oil is beautiful but quite subtle and more of a personal experience IMO
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 25th March 2011 at 05:57 AM.