Code of Conduct

Default Gendarme: Gendarme EDP vs Grabazzi

These are my two favorite Gendarmes... which do you prefer of the 2?

Default Re: Gendarme: Gendarme EDP vs Grabazzi

Neither. I've had two women in the past week stop me to say, "Mmmmm. You smell good," when I was wearing Gendarme "V".
    Totally unexpected. It's a nice cologne, but I never imagined it was worthy of stopping someone to tell them.

I prefer the original Gendarme. The EDP doesn't smell quite as good, IMHO. The formula is a little bit different - Tonka Bean percentage if I recall. The EDP lacks the zingy topnotes found in the original. Also, there's a glycerine sheen that you need to be careful about in applying when wearing white clothes. Finally, the atomizer is weak on the EDP bottle. I transferred the EDP to one of their aluminum bottles in order to better spray the stuff.

I get a bit too much of a heavy musk from Grabazzi. That's their first scent that Topper himself didn't formulate. They sourced that one out.

That said, I prefer both fragrances over 95% of everything else I've sampled.

If you're ever in LA, go to the Gendarmerie, where Topper will personally take you on a tour of his fragrances. He's a really cool dude - in his 70s and still incredibly enthusiastic about his creations.

Oh, and here's another Gendarme fan. Cracked me the hell up when I saw this.

Last edited by adonis; 23rd May 2010 at 01:29 AM.

I have a sample of Grabazzi, though I still haven't tried it. I think Gendarme just smells so ridiculously good, it's really amazing stuff. Yea sure, it's just soapy, but damn, if you smell it on someone else, it's just so clean and crisp. I smelled it yesterday on a kid actually, and it smelled like he had used very high quality soap. Good stuff.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Grabazzi is one of my very favorite 'clean' scents. It has a sparkling fresh fizz (cola berry) about it, with a floral-incense background that elevates it far beyond any of the typical laundromat smells.
    -

I never cared for Grabazzi in the past, but now after wearing it several times it's one of my favorites. I've been getting a lot of compliments on it as well. Spicy, long lasting, and unique!