Code of Conduct

Default L' Artisans Havana Vanilla

I`m just about to pull the trigger on this one blind and just wanted to get some opinions on this scent from some basenoters that own it.......

Default Re: L' Artisans Havana Vanilla

I love it and it was my favorite new fragrance in 2009.
    I found it to be an incredible mix of tobacco, vanilla and wood.
    That being said I would still caution you against buying it blind as others on Basenotes have reported it smelling "plasticky" on them.
    Everyone has a different way of interacting with fragrances and I am never a proponent of buying blind.
    If you don't have a L'Artisan counter to test at close to you I recommend using Luckyscent and getting a sample from them before laying out the big cash.
    Better to know you like something before spending the money.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I found the vanilla in it too sweet and it seemed pretty far on the feminine end of the unisex spectrum to me. When I want to smell like Cuba, I'll stick with C&S Cuba or Aramis Havana.

Be careful with this one. I was sure I was going to love this. L'artisan is one of my favorite houses, Duchafour is one of my favorite perfumers, vanilla and tobacco and two of my favorite notes; what's not to love here?! Wrong! I was actually this close to purchasing it blind, but when I traveled abroad I tried it, and thank God I didn't purchase it. It was sickly sweet and smelt like rotten bananas and milk chocolate in a very, very dense way. By far, my biggest disappointment of 2009. Others love it though.

Had high hopes for this one, but the notes seem too abstract for me in real life.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

HV reminded me a little of sticking my nose in a bag of vanilla pipe tobacco; I, too, found it to be way too sweet. I didn't get any woods, and the tobacco was not nearly as prominent as I had hoped. There seemed to be a ratio that was off, like instead of being a vanilla+tobacco scent, it was a vanilla scent with tobacco way in the background.

This one was too sweet for me also. For a great natural vanilla and tobacco scent try Don Corleone from profumo.it
    http://profumo.it/perfume/prodotto.asp?pid=5099
    It is expensive and not as long lasting as others but he only uses natural ingredients.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I liked it. I found it less sweet than, say, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. But still, kind of a pricey blind buy.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Own it and love it, it is less sweet than Tobacco Vanille but try before you buy.

I advocate being patient (and I have no room to talk) Get two samples from The Perfumed Court: Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille and the L'Artisan. Get them both in 2.5 or 5 ml to give them both a couple of test wears. I was really impressed with Tobacco Vanille in a sample wear of it.

Don't know you well enough Grifter to make many guesses about what you'd like. The Ford is probably more masculine and likely has better longevity. Don't know if those are issues for you.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 24th May 2010 at 01:41 AM.

When I tested it for a first time, I hated it. Havana Vanille smelled strange. It wasn't straight smoky vanille like Guerlain Vanille, or smooth smoothly sweet with a hint of tobacco like Tom Ford Vanille. L'Artisan Vanille was diffirent. But after a few tests, I start loving this Vanille. Even so much more than Tom Ford Vanille ( which I feel so cloying after 5 or 6 wears ) and Guerlain Vanille ( it is too expensive ). L'Artisan Vanille is rich, complex, exotic, and very enjoyable. It is not all about cloying sweet vanille like Tom Ford Vanille, or smoky vanille like Guerlain. It is not "in your face" like them. It is very gentle and stays so long on the skin... Boozy rum, fresh tobacco leaves, creamy vanille, complex woody notes...very beautiful and full of surprises once you wear.
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 24th May 2010 at 05:48 AM.

Own it. Love it. 'Nuff said.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    When I tested it for a first time, I hated it. Havana Vanille smelled strange. It wasn't straight smoky vanille like Guerlain Vanille, or smooth smoothly sweet with a hint of tobacco like Tom Ford Vanille. L'Artisan Vanille was diffirent. But after a few tests, I start loving this Vanille. Even so much more than Tom Ford Vanille ( which I feel so cloying after 5 or 6 wears ) and Guerlain Vanille ( it is too expensive ). L'Artisan Vanille is rich, complex, exotic, envery enjoyable. It is not all about cloying sweet vanille like Tom Ford Vanille, or smoky vanille like Guerlain. It is not "in your face" like them. It is very gentle and stays so long on the skin... Boozy rum, fresh tobacco leaves, creamy vanille, complex woody notes...very beautiful and full of surprises once you wear.
    Wow - this is exactly what happened to me. I can't wait to sample it again.

Thanks everyone......I decided to sample before I purchase.

It's good! Get it! I have a decant of it that I was fortunate enough to recieve from a fellow basenoter. I like to wear this one when I think I'm dressing sharp. lol It gives me quite the confidence boost. This one feels like it's hugging you in a warm upscale vanilla and spice blanket. I really like it, and is definetely on my short vanilla list.

Where can I buy Havana vanilla online? I need worldwide shipping.

Where can I buy Havana vanilla online? I need worldwide shipping.
    Beautyhabit.com
    Last edited by sirsmellzalot; 25th May 2010 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post
    Thanks everyone......I decided to sample before I purchase.
    Let us know what you decide.

This thread has inspired me to test this one as well.

I really wanted to like this, but the fragrance has a strange herbal/plastic top note that quiets down but persists on throughout. I just tried Tobacco Vanille again, and I noticed that this strange note is also in there, maybe it's the tobacco? But the good thing about TV is that it's a lot less noticeable, but the vanilla is a little too sweet for me. Definitely, if you're looking for a boozy vanilla Spiritueus Double Vanille is the way to go.
    Last edited by supperman; 25th May 2010 at 03:56 PM.

Isn't Spiritueus Double Vanille a woman's scent?

Quote Originally Posted by limaaa View Post
    Isn't Spiritueus Double Vanille a woman's scent?
    It's not anymore feminine than the other vanilla fragrances. In fact, since it's less sweet than Havana Vanille or Tobacco Vanille, I would be more comfortable wearing SDV than the other fragrances. Love the boozy note...

Double post...
    Last edited by supperman; 25th May 2010 at 04:21 PM.