Code of Conduct

Default a painful testament to the authenticity of Creed Original Vetiver

So the other day, I was feeling 100% healthy and fine. I take a shower at 5pm and put some OV on for that so fresh so clean feeling.

Unfortunately, I accidentally inhaled some. No big deal, I thought, I must have inhaled tons of fragrance over the years. But I got a good hit this time. I immediately felt a burn in the back of my throat... but I thought it'd disappear quickly.

It didn't. When I went to sleep, it was still very irritated.

*Interlude - I am EXTREMELY allergic to grass and grass pollen. But I had stopped taking my slew of allergy medications recently as spring has ended here*

Next morning - wake up with a HORRIBLE cold!!! Sore throat, sneezing, cough, headache... the works. It felt like such a true cold that it took me until that afternoon to put the pieces together... IT WAS THE ORIGINAL VETIVER!!!

Sometimes, if I get a big exposure to grass (like mowing in the spring), my body will react as if it's a cold virus and go into immune shock. When I inhaled the OV, it apparently has so much concentrated vetiver (from Haiti) that it had the same effect.

I'm on day two of this "cold" and feel like an utter idiot for doing this to myself.

Point is - while many love OV but don't smell much actual vetiver scent in it, I can attest to the fact that there is a LOT of REAL vetiver extract in this fragrance.

I'm going to go get some more nyquil....

Default Re: a painful testament to the authenticity of Creed Original Vetiver

I'm guessing this is the only time you've experienced this. Seems a bit strange you'd buy something that'd give you a violent reaction

That sucks though. Hope you feel better.

Sorry about your allergy, I have allergies too and they are a pain. It is very unlikely to be an allergy to vetiver though. They use the roots, not the pollen to extract the oil. They then process it, fractionalise it, and put a very little bit of it in a formula with lots of cis 3 hexanal, synthetic musks etc to make original vetiver.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 5th June 2010 at 10:51 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

double post..
    Last edited by TalkingMuffin; 5th June 2010 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Sorry about your allergy, I have allergies too and they are a pain. It is very unlikely to be an allergy to vetiver though. They use the roots, not the pollen to extract the oil. They then process it, fractionalise it, and put a very little bit of it in a formula with lots of cis 3 hexanal, synthetic musks etc to make original vetiver.
    i hear what you are saying... but it would be a huge coincidence that I get a horrible cold right after inhaling OV, AND I'm very allergic to grass.

mind you, I don't have a problem when i spray it on my skin (like a normal person)... but taking a "hit" of it was too much for the immune system to handle.

And even though it's the root, the same enzymes are there that are in the blade or the pollen... grass is grass.

If you have a cold, it will have to take its course. If it is allergies, perhaps allergy medication is in order.

I am not making a diagnosis, just saying how I would approach it if it happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    Point is - while many love OV but don't smell much actual vetiver scent in it, I can attest to the fact that there is a LOT of REAL vetiver extract in this fragrance.
    Not to rain on the parade, but Original Vetiver has very little actual vetiver in it... I'm just throwing this out there, for informational purposes (I agree with everything Hirch said above). I don't doubt that you're allergic to grass or vetiver though.

That being said, I'm curious to see what your reaction to Vetiver Extraordinaire would be!

When I get a bad cold, I've found that it helps to do all the cliche and normal things that are considered healthy: eat more veggies, drink more water, do more cardio and get more sleep. Mix it all with a little Dayquill and Nyquil and you're good to go! Hope you feel better soon.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 6th June 2010 at 02:57 AM.
    Sales thread here

Could it have been irritation caused by the alcohols etc. and not the allergic reaction to vetiver?