Code of Conduct

Default Voyage d' Hermes

I picked up a sample of this a few weeks ago and decided to try it...

An initial 'shot' of ginger...

Then it just disappeared... Nothing... Zilch...

I've used up almost the entire 2ml today.

Is it just me, or what?
    Last edited by JohnTheBeginner; 23rd May 2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: tpyo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Voyage d' Hermes

Many have been underwhelmed by Voyage...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually loved it. I found it long lasting - typical Jean Claude Ellena,though I am not fond of his style in general - airy, transparent. It' s quite addictive IMHO. However,it gave me a bumpy red rash where I applied it by spray !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's a light one, but the problem is most likely that your nose/brain hasn't attained focus on the smell yet. Some scents seem like nothing until you "learn" to smell the main notes. Once you do - BAM. It will come through a lot stronger. Guaiac wood was like that for me. I couldn't smell it at first when I tried Tokyo by Kenzo, and I thought the frag was totally anemic. Now it's overpowering in any frag, and I hesitate to wear Tokyo unless I'm up for a long, heavy blast of guaiac wood.

There are several notes in VdH that took me a while to get. The first wear, leaving the boutique, seemed like nothing. Now, I can smell several notes 12 hours later, and on clothes, the next day. The musk note is very persistent for me.

Give this one at least two wears before you write it off. But it IS a light frag, especially compared to TdH. No doubt about that.

Post Thanks / Like

I found this fragrance to be very strong, with excellent silliage and VERY long lasting. It seemed to me like an extrait version of Terre.

Post Thanks / Like

It's basically a stripped down Terre d'Hermes to me, with more of a tonic and lime kick to it, and a heavy cardamom opening. Longevity wasn't as impressive as others from Hermes, but I got a good 6 hours out of it. A very pleasant 6 hours. Projection and sillage were good in the beginning, but tones down to much less than what TdH produces. All in all, it's not bad, but not worth paying retail price right now.. it isn't a priority fragrance to me.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

It was a major disappointment to me. Been there done that many times before - Come up with something new JCE.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th May 2010 at 09:34 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

The dissapearing thing.... well, my eyes have been opened by a recent purchase. Through some sort of quirk I believe is due to heavy use of synthetics, I now find I have to "learn" how to smell some scents. Don't know if that's what happened with you, but I now distrust small samples and single wearings. I put on a new scent and smelled nothing. Some women I know told me it was pounding...

In subsequent wearings I get more of the scent.

I like this one, it's refreshing, light and deceptively long lasting. I agree with the others who have pointed out, in previous threads, that Voyage shares a lot with Ellena's Declaration. I'm compelled by the 'synthetics require retraining the nose' theories. That said, I'm still waiting for an Ellena Hermes creation to really blow me away.

I smell this and said way bother Hermes - why bother we have enough pretty bottles on the market with no substance inside.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not the lightness of this scent, that annoys me, but the way that the notes all converge together in a oh-my-goodness-haven't-I-smelled-this-before-in-a-hell-of-a-lot-of-Jean-Claude-Ellena-and-Hermes-scents-what-the-hell-do-they-think-I-am-stupid way.

The bottle is adorable. I just wish it was filled with something else.

If I ever see the shower gel at a discount, I'll probably get it, but besides that the scent has been a real disappointment to this Jean Claude Ellena fan club member.

Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th May 2010 at 01:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnthebeginner, you sprayed on waayyy too much, resulting in olfactory habituation to the scent.

As for the fragrance itself, I think it's nice. Not my style, but it's a worthy addition to the line.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I found this fragrance to be very strong, with excellent silliage and VERY long lasting.

Agree.

Post Thanks / Like

It took me a litle while to sort this one out and I am a fan of JCE's work - worth trying a few times IMO, even though in the end it's probably not one I will turn to that often.

Just a thought - IF this were to be looked at as an introduction for someone not familiar with Hermes / JCE, (and the bottle and the name look like they are geared to attract new customers), then it's quite well thought out - the opening hints at the Jardin series (for me), the other aspects might lead you to other Hermes (or JCE - Declaration) compositions . . .

Seen as a primer, rather than a recap, it sort of makes sense as a way to 'back into' the various aspects of his work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    It took me a litle while to sort this one out and I am a fan of JCE's work - worth trying a few times IMO, even though in the end it's probably not one I will turn to that often.

Just a thought - IF this were to be looked at as an introduction for someone not familiar with Hermes / JCE, (and the bottle and the name look like they are geared to attract new customers), then it's quite well thought out - the opening hints at the Jardin series (for me), the other aspects might lead you to other Hermes (or JCE - Declaration) compositions . . .

Seen as a primer, rather than a recap, it sort of makes sense as a way to 'back into' the various aspects of his work.
    +1, I think I lot of the negative reviews result from us BNers being overly familiar with everything JCE. Taken as an individual composition, with no prior knowledge of the JCE style, it's pretty good.

For a beginner, Voyage would indeed be a great intro. Many of the scents it recalls are often said to be too much something. Declaration has earned a reputation for too much cumin and cardamom. TdH - too much cedar and ISO-E. Jardins - too much fruit and too synthetic.

Voyage isn't too much anything. Here, that's probably a weakness. In the world of the high end department store sales counter, that's a strength. My guess is that Voyage achieved exactly what JCE meant for it to achieve.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Voyage isn't too much anything. Here, that's probably a weakness. In the world of the high end department store sales counter, that's a strength. My guess is that Voyage achieved exactly what JCE meant for it to achieve.
    I agree here. It doesn't overpower at any level. I think when we are so used to Niche, something so safe begins to fell ordinary. Taken on it's own, I think Voyage is a nice, well balanced, wear to the office scent. Wouldn't buy it at full price, but once it hits the discount circuit I would consider a purchase.

I found this to be a more complex, elegant version of azzaro chrome. Light and nice, a good summer scent, but nothing I'd pay full price for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It hurts my nose......and thats it..
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Post Thanks / Like

Voyage d'Hermes is the more feminine version of Declaration, somewhat like "light and creamy Declaration". But at the same time it's like the mix of all the Jardins with Eau de Pamplemousse Rose with a touch of powdery notes. This fragrance should be another Jardin, but not the beginner of a new line. It has particulary no longevity and sillage, it will suit women better than men. But nevertheless Voyage d'Hermes is the scent of a very high quality.

I sampled this at Saks and did a little shopping.....By the time I left the store it was gone.....No staying Power at all.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I sampled this at Saks and did a little shopping.....By the time I left the store it was gone.....No staying Power at all.....Gary
    I tried too....I felt near the same but not so fast,.....longevity on my skin is a little bit less than average, but is a very nice scent. My sister said was incredible nice, kind of woman scent.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I think Voyager requires little patience because there are few, if any, familiar notes to grab hold of in your head and anchor the smell in your senses. It's a lovely 'just come out of the shower' smell that slightly veers towards the female spectrum than unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    It' s quite addictive IMHO. However,it gave me a bumpy red rash where I applied it by spray !
    Yes Mimi, I think its addictive too!
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

Post Thanks / Like

Was able to try this the other night. I think it is interesting. A citrusy-woody scent that manages to maintain being not too heavy. It is very unique actually. I think JC Ellena did a great job on this one. =)

Post Thanks / Like

I actually loved it. I found it long lasting - typical Jean Claude Ellena,though I am not fond of his style in general - airy, transparent. It' s quite addictive IMHO. However,it gave me a bumpy red rash where I applied it by spray !
    Sorry...double post....see below.
    Last edited by david; 29th May 2011 at 04:42 PM.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the coments of Mimi totally - love it and find it long lasting......didn´t get the rash though, luckily !
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s a quiet scent. I get very good staying-power, but sillage is only average.

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled this a few times. Not exactly sure what the hype is about. Wasn't good at all