Code of Conduct

Default Have you ever "tasted" a fragrance after applying it to skin?

Here's why I'm asking: I applied a light spray of Havana a few days ago, and later was doing some some fairly intense manual labor in my yard, on a fairly warm day. I got this weird semi-sweet taste in my mouth. I swear it tasted like Havana. No, it wasn't just the smell coming off me.

Anybody else ever had this odd effect?

It was a first for me. I haven't been able to touch Havana since.

Default Re: Have you ever "tasted" a fragrance after applying it to skin?

Where did you apply it? Did you get any on your hands?

(the "garlic effect" maybe? I can't find the article but some researchers were experimenting with substances to see how well the skin absorbed them ... kind of the same idea as why, say, a nicotine patch delivers nicotine. The result was that quite soon after applying the garlic, it could be tasted.)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Sprayed a little on my wrists, and tiny bit on the chest.

The bizarre chemical flavor in my mouth kind of freaked me out. Never experienced this with any other cologne.

I generally avoid fragrance before any kind of heavy physical activity (except for, um. . . you know . . .) So no, I don't routinely road test fragrances by going to the gym, or doing yard work. Still, this experience put me off Havana for a while.

This effect ever happen to anyone else? I'm curious. Was it just the Havana, or do other fragrances give that effect too?

And yes, I have had that happen but just presumed I got some of the scent on my hands and inadvertently into my mouth, or on to my face where perspiration carried it to my mouth.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Yep. Happens with New Haarlem and oddly enough Skai the most for me. Skai leaves me with a "flat" 7-up taste in my mouth. But it's sorta rare since I place my scent away from places where I might go around my mouth.

This has not happened to me yet.

I had unintentionally a couple of times and it tasted like the smell of the fragrance not dummy or delicious though.

No. My theory is that the heat made the fragrance molecules more volatile and you simply inhaled them from your chest area during exertion. Of course, you tasted it because it hit your tongue.

Yes. It is possible to get chemicals on your hand, into your blood stream, and taste it in your mouth. I used to work in the petrol industry. My urine used to have a crude oil smell to it from the exposure. If you wash your hands with paint thinner to scrub paint off I heard the chemicals absorbed through your skin can be mildly tasted too.

But if it was intense you probably just wiped sweat off of your face and some got on your lip.

I have tried 2 fragrances with Ivy ('old' DKNY, and Paul Smith Story), and I do inhale the fumes of those coming off my neck and chest. And they leave a horrible taste in my mouth!

in times it would happen when I licked the neck of my ex or other girls, tasting the scent is not really cool, as it is not cool kissing with a girl that smokes eew...

When I wear Tommy and smoke like 5min after I sprayed, I have the taste of the fragrance in the smoke within my mouth. It's not such a strong scent if applied correctly, but it seems to really float in the air around you...

I'd love to taste Joop!