Code of Conduct

Default Gendarme: It Eludes Me

I've recently started wearing Mugler Cologne--where has this been all my life. I like it so much that I want to try Gendarme, which is supposed to be similar. But I can't find it anywhere, and I really want to test it before I buy it.

Can anyone give me a comparison between the two, or suggestions on how to get a sample?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gendarme: It Eludes Me

You can also order samples of all of Gendarme's fragrances directly from their website. I have, and love both. Mugler is "soapy clean", and Gendarme is "steam clean". Gendarme is still the cleanest smelling frag I've ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    You can also order samples of all of Gendarme's fragrances directly from their website. I have, and love both. Mugler is "soapy clean", and Gendarme is "steam clean". Gendarme is still the cleanest smelling frag I've ever experienced.
    I went to their site, and it looks like you can order samples of everything except the original Gendarme, which is what I want to try. Am I missing something on the site?

My mistake, it is there. But there is no Canadian option on their shipping information, which makes me think they don't ship here.

Perfumed Court is a sure bet, albeit a teeny weeny bit pricy.

Sur la Plage

---
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th May 2010 at 09:52 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

You can e-mail the Gendarmerie and ask them if they'll ship to Canada. Gendarme V is sort of Mugler-y. I don't know if there are Bloomingdales or Nordstroms in Canada - I've seen Gendarme in both.

edit: From the Gendarme Website

Paul Puncher
    20 Regina St. S
    Waterloo,Ontario N2J 4W9
    Telephone: 519.888.7999

Revolucion
    1062 Mainland St.
    Vancouver, BC VCB 2T4
    Telephone: 604.662.4427

Sephora - Bloor Street
    131 Bloor Street West, CRU #I-13
    Toronto, OntarioM5S 1R1

Sephora - Chinook
    6455 Macleod Trail SW, Calgary
    Alberta T2H OK8

Sephora - Eaton Centre
    Space # CRU 3-104; 3-105 220 Younge Street
    Toronto, Ontario M5B 2H1

Sephora Market Mall
    3625 Shaganappi Trail NW, Calgary
    Alberta T3A OE2

Sephora Scarborough
    300 Borough Drive, Unit 42 & 42A Scarborough
    ONT, M1P 4P5

Sephora Square One
    100 City Centre Dr, Highway 403 & Highway 10
    Mississauga, Ontario, L5B 2C9 Space CRU 2-130

Sephora West Edmondton (AB)
    8882 170th St., Unit 2678
    Edmonton, Alberta T5T 4J2

Sephora Yorkdale
    Space # CRU 233, 3401 Dufferin St
    Toronto, Ontario, M6A3A1
    Last edited by adonis; 24th May 2010 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks for the help everyone. You're not going to believe this, but one of the retailers listed above is within walking distance of my house--it's on the same street! I'll be going for a walk to check that out.

I recently bought a bottle of the new Gendarme eau de parfum. I've never tried the original but I figured, hey, it's an edp, surely it's better, right? Anyway, so I can't comment on the similarity to the edt, but it definitely fills a place in my wardrobe which, up to this point, has been missing. I'm still getting used to it. It's just such a departure from what I've become accustomed to. Definitely has that "...so fresh and so clean, clean" vibe to it. I've been putting it on after my evening shower and loving it. Very unique.

There is definitely a difference between the original and EDP. The EDP has much stronger citrus and less tonka bean than the original and is very Long Lasting. I've gotten 5-7 hrs with the original and over 8 hrs with the EDP....

I didn't notice citrus or tonka in gendarme. Not even a little.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    There is definitely a difference between the original and EDP. The EDP has much stronger citrus and less tonka bean than the original and is very Long Lasting. I've gotten 5-7 hrs with the original and over 8 hrs with the EDP....
    Oh yeah. Sometimes I'll put both on - EDT for the zingy top and the EDP for the longevity

Whoops. Doublepost
    Last edited by adonis; 24th June 2010 at 04:46 AM.

Adonis,

Which one do you like better? There is definitely a difference between the two IMO....

Adonis,
    Which one do you like better? There is definitely a difference between the two IMO....
    I like smell of the EDC a lot more. I always feel comforted and safe when I spray the stuff on. Something Pavlovian in the top notes. You're right, definitely a different smell than the EDP. Regrettably, it doesn't last as long as the somewhat duller EDP. I also don't like the whimpy sprayer on the EDP bottle. The 10oz Aluminum EDC bottle is great, it sprays like a bottle of Windex.

I told Topper that my only complaint about Gendarme EDC was that I found it a fleeting experience. He replied that the scent was designed to draw people in rather than alert the room of your presence. Whatevah...

He also mentioned the different amount of Tonka Bean in the EDP. I can't recall if it was more Tonka or less.

And yourself? EDC or EDP?
    Last edited by adonis; 25th June 2010 at 08:26 AM.

Well now the EDP is available in the 6 0z alumium bottle. The atomizers on the older bottles weren't the greatest so they changed it up. I think the EDP is much better than the original (although the original is amazing to say the least). I get much stronger citrus and the fragrance lasts very long on my skin. Also sillage for me is MUCH stronger than the original....

Well now the EDP is available in the 6 0z alumium bottle. The atomizers on the older bottles weren't the greatest so they changed it up. I think the EDP is much better than the original (although the original is amazing to say the least). I get much stronger citrus and the fragrance lasts very long on my skin. Also sillage for me is MUCH stronger than the original....
    Interesting! You smell the citrus in the EDP and I can only smell it in the EDC. You've motivated me. I'm going to try some EDP straight for a few days and see how it wears.

Ok just give it 6-10 sprays on the neck, I always go extra with Gendarme because it's so inoffensive yet it lasts for ages. It leaves you scratching your head, because olfactory fatigue sets in after 20 minutes or so. However, people will always notice it on you, i've gotten awesome compliments on it because it's just so unique....