Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Favorite/Best Vetiver?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Encre Noire

23 15.65%
  • Givenchy Vetiver

12 8.16%
  • Vetiver Extraordinaire

24 16.33%
  • Grey Vetiver

18 12.24%
  • Guerlain Vetiver

37 25.17%
  • Terre D'Hermes

7 4.76%
  • Original Vetiver

9 6.12%
  • Sycomore

17 11.56%

Default Favorite/Best Vetiver?

Vote and tell why you voted as such! If you picked other state what other you prefer most and why

=)
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Default Re: Favorite/Best Vetiver?

Can't see the 'other' tab in the poll.

You missed out on some really excellent vetivers
    MPG Route du Vetiver (vintage)
    MPG Route du Vetiver (current) - literally a different fragrance from the original
    Vetiver Pour Elle
    Annick Goutal Vetiver
    Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver
    Creed Vetiver 1948

Of this bunch I gave my vote for Vetiver Extraordinaire, but had it been included, Annick Goutal Vétiver would have got my vote.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I voted Encre Noire because you don't have my favorites, Sel de Vetiver and Vetiver by Annick Goutal. You're also missing Etro's Vetiver and Fumidus by Profumum, which are really extraordinary smoky vetivers. Oh! And Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens.

I voted for the Guerlain. I just like it. I note the early running for Grey Vetiver, but it really does reference Guerlain's classic creation. I'm not that keen on Grey Vetiver as there is an odd rubber-like note in it which doesn't work for me.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I've owned or tested dozens, but
    Still waiting to test Givenchy Vetiver . . .

*sigh*

Cry me a River,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I pick Givenchy Vetiver.

Dependent

+1 Sel De Vetiver from The Different Company. It is a must-list.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    I pick Givenchy Vetiver.
    Me too - with Encre Noire a close second.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 24th May 2010 at 08:51 AM.

Sur la Plage

Givenchy all the way.......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have to fess up to not being a huge vetiver lover , unless someone out there does a sweet one ???

ANyway I do quite like frederic malle vetiver and the serge lutens one too

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I have to fess up to not being a huge vetiver lover , unless someone out there does a sweet one ???
    Maybe you can try ELDO Fat Electrician (notes of vetiver, vanilla bean, opoponax and myrrh)
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Of this bunch I gave my vote for Vetiver Extraordinaire, but had it been included, Annick Goutal Vétiver would have got my vote.
    Goutal`s is The Best!
    But I voted for Guerlain`s vintage Vetiver while Goutal is out of this poll...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Fragonard Vetiver is my choice.

Apart from Guerlain, I also love OV by Creed, Lanvin Vetiver and Encre Noire, while looking forward to testing Givenchy Vetiver and Terre d'Hermes pretty soon
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 24th May 2010 at 12:04 PM.

Givenchy is great, that's the one I voted for. It is done in a bright, sparkling style with a touch of lemon. Very cheery.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Of those, Vetiver Extraordinaire... But I'm still waiting for "the" vetiver for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Of those, Vetiver Extraordinaire... But I'm still waiting for "the" vetiver for me.
    It seems you've set the bar really high, mate and why not? After all you are the king of aroma.

By any chance did you try the Bourbon Vetiver oil from Aqua Oleum?

Blog Entries

Of the ones listed, I voted for Sycomore. Had other been an option, I'd have picked Guerlain Vetiver EDC (which is a completely different fragrance than the current Guerlain Vetiver EDT).
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Has to be Vetiver Extraordinaire. I deeply appreciate some of the other ones on that list like Guerlain's Vetiver, but VE is the only one I've tried that doesn't turn into this swampthing vetiver on me. VE stays clean and crisp all the way through. It's like that brand new shoes smell, but it smells like nature... if that makes any sense. The only one I haven't tried is Givenchy's vetiver.

The only other vetiver I absolutely love to wear on that list is Sycomore.
    Sales thread here

My vote went to Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. I got this one to help diversify my spring line-up. I also like Terre de Hermes, but I guess I could live without it.
    I can get my oranges fix elsewhere, like Paul Smith Extreme.

Whao, I didn't realize that Givenchy's Vetyver is so popular. Looking at the notes, I thought it would just be very much like Guerlain's Vetiver. Looks like I'm gonna have to give it a try too!

My vote goes to Sycomore.

I easily get a decomposing vibe from vetiver, but not in a varm, healthy, earty compost kind of way (this I think I would enjoy). I often smell damp cellars with something vegetal rotting in them.

Sycomore feels like a "clean" vetiver, which makes it likable even to me.
    Last edited by tott; 24th May 2010 at 02:16 PM.

Annick Goutal's vetiver is the best IMHO, Route du Vetiver and Guerlain's Vetiver pour Elle are great, I also love Floris Vetiver.
    Last edited by foetidus; 24th May 2010 at 03:08 PM.

I think that the classification of VETIVER is so broad. Treatments of vetivers vary so much in fragrances that it seems difficult, if not impossible, to pick a single favorite. I like several variations, many of which you have listed, and would be hesitant to pick a winner out of those.

Basenotes Institution

Guerlain

Duh.

My favorites: Original Vetiver, Floris Vetiver, Givenchy Vetyver and MPG Racine.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Blog Entries

Guerlain Vetiver and Encre Noir.

Encre Noire! It's nice and dark and earthy
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by TricsMan View Post
    I think that the classification of VETIVER is so broad. Treatments of vetivers vary so much in fragrances that it seems difficult, if not impossible, to pick a single favorite. I like several variations, many of which you have listed, and would be hesitant to pick a winner out of those.
    +1

It's a bit like polling red wine lovers what their favorite red wine is. It is sometimes nice to know peoples' opinions, but the variance on which a selection may be based is enormous. That said, I'm split between GV and VE. Both beyond excellent, though the briefs (and market forces) upon which each was created were undoubtedly very different.

Very disappointed that EldO's Fat Electrician and CdG's Vettiveru were not included. I'm a big vetiver fan, and Fat Electrician just blows me away. It's breathtakingly beautiful. I realize the love for Vettiveru has dwindled, but (IMO) it's still a great frag. And, hey, you can get 500ml of the stuff for under a hundred bucks!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Givenchy Vetyver - my first vetyver (1979) and i guess my nose has remained hooked since then.

Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme is my next fave.

At this stage of my fragrance journey i however realise that vetiver-prominent frags are not a favourite category of mine.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Guerlain Vetiver is simply THE BEST!!!

It was tough not to vote for Guerlain's but I voted for Vetiver Extraordinaire. To me, VE is a simpler, more natural vetiver and I love this characteristic.
    Last edited by Niles; 24th May 2010 at 09:08 PM.

Vetiver Tonka...never gets it place...Im here to say "VT YOU ARE ONE OF THE BEST"
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Creed Vetiver 1948, the new rendition is ok but the old one is better.

Blog Entries

Sel de Vétiver
    Vétiver Tonka
    Grey Vetiver
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Encre Noire

I really need to try Fat Electrician and the Annick Goutal.

Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle, is my favorite fragrance ever, so it's also my number #1 vetiver. From that list though, Givenchy Vetyver was a grower on me. When I first got my sample last year, I thought it was bizarre, and too nutty. Since my tastes have changed, I recently revisited, and was quite surprised at how lovely it is. I think Grey Vetiver is working it's way towards being a modern classic, but it's not going to overtake some of my other favorites on this list. Original Vetiver is a favorite of mine, but it's not in my pantheon of vetiver frags (though it's there, I don't think of it as a hardcore vetiver scent). So that leaves EN and Sycamore. EN wins for affordability, Sycamore trumps it for sheer quality and brilliance of composition. So Sycamore gets my vote. A sleeper is TDC Sel de Vetiver.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Of the ones listed, Vetiver de Guerlain--the gold standard. I also own Encre Noir and like it a lot.
    However, some big favorites of mine that I own are also: MPG RdV, Villoresi, Guerlain Vetiver Sport, and Etro.
    I also think Montale Red Vetiver and Vetiver des Sables should be listed as they are great and are BN favorites.
    I've tried: Floris, SMN, Bois 1920, L'Artisan, L'Occitane. Not for me; and of the ones listed and tried, Creed OV, Malle VE, Grey Vetiver and Terre aren't for me either. I'll be testing VE further. I also have to test Fumidus yet.
    Can you tell I'm a vetiver fan? : ) it's my most favorite single note.

EDIT: SHAME ON ME! How could I forget IPDF Fresco di Vetiver. I love this one too.
    Last edited by Renaissance_Man; 25th May 2010 at 03:30 AM. Reason: added

Well, I voted Sycomore. I've tried them all except for the Givenchy, and I would definitely like to try that soon. It came down to a choice between Guerlain and Chanel for me, and Sycomore just won out. That being said, I own several other vetivers that I wear more often including:
    TDC - Sel de Vetiver
    Hermes - Vetiver Tonka
    Guerlain - Vetiver eau Glacee
    Guerlain - Vetiver Pour Elle

One that I'm kind of into right now is Racine by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. I might have to buy it next as I think I would wear it more than Guerlain's Vetiver if I owned it.
    Last edited by jwpianoboe; 25th May 2010 at 03:20 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Favorite/Best Vetiver?

I have voted for ENCRE NOIRE, but i also love VETIVER EXTRAORDINAIRE, LORENZO VILLORESI VETIVER, MONTALE RED VETIVER, GIVENCHY VETYVER.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I still swear by Vétiver Extraordinaire.

MPG Route du Vetiver

I'm only familiar with the Guerlain (prefer vintage edc) and the wonderful Givenchy Vetyver. Could not really choose between the two as I find them both really wonderful. Since the vintage is too hard to find, the current edt Guerlain is just fine.

I voted for 'Vetiver Extraordinaire' due to the bracing quality of the Haitian vetyver.
    Let your nose be your pilot

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Guerlain Vetiver from the list. Carlo Corinto Vetiver if given an open choice.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

My first and stiil favourite Vetiver was Adolfo Dominguez, a superb scent I picked up for very little in the Canaries one year. I have since tried many others, but Dominguez' still holds as my preferred Vetiver.

Of those listed, it had to be Guerlain's Vetiver. It may have been reformulated, but to me it is still a defining scent, affording maximum flexibility in wear.

I voted for Guerlains Vetiver. There are many good vetivers on the list, and I own quite a few. But for allround versatility, I think the Guerlain is hard to beat. Givenchy is also really good...