Code of Conduct

Question Help with my next niche purchase

First post here and let me tell you. After spending 2 weeks on the board - my wallet is hurting.
    Here's what i've accomplished so far. Well, let me preface this with following - for years my fragrance of choice was Kenzo pour Homme, with occasional spritz of L'Eau par aforementioned Kenzo. Generally speaking, those were the happy days.

Then recently i got an idea to check on what Kenzo-san have been up to. In rapid succession i got my hands on Kenzo Power, Jungle, Air and Air Intense, Tokyo and L'Eau par Kenzo Indigo. Oh, and Time for Peace. I found all of them, with the exception of Indigo and Time for Peace pur Lui, lacklaster. So this is when i decided to turn to basenotes hoping to find someone to blame for my sudden dislike of Mr Kenzo's output. Big mistake.

Fastforward to present time (2 weeks later). Due to rapid expansion of my horizons, my wallet had considerably shrunk. I now have discovered the honorable house of Harkonn... sorry, Serge Lutens. I apologize for my nerdiness. Anyways, so far i've sampled Ambre Sultan, Arabie, Borneo 1834, Chêne, Chergui, Chypre Rouge, Daim Blond , Fille en Aiguilles, Fumerie Turque, Muscs Kublai Khan, and Vetiver Oriental.

My favorite so far is Vetiver Oriental. I really love it. Really do. It's on it's way, can't wait. Also, bought Chypre Rouge, impulse buy, no regrets. Other ones in transit - Chergui, Muscs Kublai Khan. I'm planning to get Chêne, Arabie and Ambre Sultan at certain point. Fumerie Turque made quite an impression as well. Will buy at a later day.

I guess i'll try to get to the point (thanks for reading, by the way). Based on my favorites from Lutens:
    1.Vetiver Oriental, 2.Chêne, 3.Fumerie Turque, 4.Chergui, 5.Muscs Kublai Khan - in that order, should i keep spending ungodly amount of cash with The Perfumed Court on the rest of the samples, or am i at the point where i can veer off Lutens for a short while? Ladies who run The Perfumed Court - you are are not allowed to answer this question.
    I'm considering L'Air du Desert Marocain, from all the reviews, it seems to fall perfectly in line with Lutens' oriental theme, which i found myself so fond of. I'd appreciate any suggestions, and thanks everyone, in advance.

Dependent

Default Re: Help with my next niche purchase

Thanks for sharing! Serge Lutens is a really satisfying house (ok not all their scents are). I would suggest trying Gris Clair (cooling lavender and amber). And yes L'Air is great if you are into incense. Really nice stuff.

I don't get the hype about Tauer at all. I sampled practically all of them and liked a bit one (the Reverie something... I don't even care for the name ). I would advise you to sample L'Air du Desert Marocain first. I found it musty and nothing I would like to smell like.
    If you haven't, I'd look into Parfum d'Empire, Parfums de Histoires or Parfumerie Generale. Enjoy the trip!

I agree that SL is extremely satisfying house overall, so why wouldn`t you spend just a bit more time with it and forget eveything else for awhile. Get to know the house properly, become a real SL conneisseur. It is not a bad ground to look things forward, although there will be a lot of disapointments on the way (with other houses) since the Lutens/Sheldrake duo is so brilliant especially with Orientals.

Love your username, Fat Old Sun.
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 24th May 2010 at 09:17 AM.

L'air is a really good choice. IMO it is much better than Amber Sultan amber-wise.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Serge Lutens is a really satisfying house (ok not all their scents are). I would suggest trying Gris Clair (cooling lavender and amber). And yes L'Air is great if you are into incense. Really nice stuff.

im with matthewfoo.. try Gris Clair, maybe will be ur 6th bottle
    i love Chergui & Gris Clair
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Thanks! I'll definately try Gris Clair. What about Lutens' non-export offerings? The Perfumed Court's shopping cart shows that i'd have to spend over $80 to sample them all. And even though i have a feeling that i got no other choice, may be i could use some advice on picking out the essential ones first.

I've also found a retail store locally, where i was able to sample L'Artisan fragrances that sounded interesting on paper: Timbuktu, Dzongkha. Also tried Ambre Precieux from MPG, which i found a bit too overpowering with sweetness. Timbuktu and Dzongkha i liked, but found them a little... watery? I'm sorry if my descriptions make little sense - i am long ways before i can separate the scent with precision of some of the members here.

Another sample i loved was Nasomato's Absinthe, couldn't resist and bought it as well.

Dependent

Oh oh, do try Tea For Two from L'Artisan at the store, I do think that it is one of the coziest scents around. Of course you mustn't hate tea before trying. =D You are right, many L'Artisan's are like that by nature - "watery", there but not there...

nobody talk about, but i like noire a lot, try it.