Code of Conduct

Default 4711-type edc notes everywhere!

It seems that everything I have tried lately has an undertone of what I believe is an old-fashioned eau de cologne base like 4711 and the Eaus of many houses. I get it from Habit Rouge, and Eau d'orange Vert. I found a test sprayer of Prada Amber PH, and *that* seemed to have a similar base, with amber on top (it never really melded, it seemed like two different frags). Today I went to the Shiseido boutique at the Imperial Hotel, where they have a lot of Lutens. There were fresh paper strips to sniff, and I tried most of the 20 or so. As I was about to leave, the very friendly SA said 'Don't you want to try a spray on yourself?' So I decided to try the Citronnier to see how long the lemon would last. The paper strip was quite lemony, but on my skin the old-fashioned edc was dominant. Are all citruses like this? Is it just me? Is it bergamot or something that is giving me that impression? Of the Lutens that I have tried, this is the only one that has this feeling.

Default Re: 4711-type edc notes everywhere!

Anything you test with the common citrus notes may smell like 4711 or the classic edc to you. It might help to try and learn to identify these notes so that if you want to avoid them, you can do so. I would say bergamot and neroli are the responsible notes. These compositions also include lemon, petitgrain, etc. and some green notes like lemon tree leaves.

For me, neroli is resopnsible for this feel. I like it in very few scents myself or elst it becomes barbershop for me.

Citronnier is of course a good example of what you should stay away from. I doubt that most other Lutens smell anything like an edc. Maybe Flor D'Oranger but I haven't ever tested that.

I'm not too crazy about the classic edc feel, especially because they don't last very long. My choice for this type of scent has always been Armani Eau Pour Homme and YSL Pour Homme (both concentrations). Other citrus I like but don't consider edc type are: Dior Eau Sauvage, Roberto Cavalli Man and I like the citrus/spice/pine/musk of Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet.

If you like very strong lemon in an oriental setting, do try Hanae Mori HM (EDT or EDP), which is very strong and long lasting leomn with florals and vanilla. Also Boucheron Pour Homme.

If you want to try some of the best eaus out there you might try:

Acqua di Colonia by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    The Guerlain eaux--Imperiale, Coq, and Eau de Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    If you want to try some of the best eaus out there you might try:

Acqua di Colonia by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    The Guerlain eaux--Imperiale, Coq, and Eau de Guerlain
    Bokaba, the best man to answer this!

Go for the original Eau de Cologne (Koln) with Farina.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120916.html

I also second the choices of the Guerlain eaux, with Cologne Imperiale my favourite.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks for the informative answers! I know there are many Eaux out there, and I like the fragrances for the most part, but I like a bit more longevity. And, I was surprised by the Prada--has anyone else tried to put amber in this type of scent?

I think Gianfranco Ferre's Bergamotto Marino would be to your liking as well.