Code of Conduct
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I am just curious to know if there is nobody else who thinks this Bleu is so very similar to Edition Blanche.
    Not to my nose. Not at all.

The first time I tested it I got the same feel of Bulgari Aqua. Some guys who where there sprayed it all over themselves. Few minutes after i left Macys to go pay my cell phone bill, they walked by and I got a wiff of it, and it smelled really nice but smelled like every other fresh fragrance. I have to go back and test it again.

Quote Originally Posted by gabystie View Post
    The first time I tested it I got the same feel of Bulgari Aqua. Some guys who where there sprayed it all over themselves. Few minutes after i left Macys to go pay my cell phone bill, they walked by and I got a wiff of it, and it smelled really nice but smelled like every other fresh fragrance. I have to go back and test it again.
    Yes it smells bit like Aqva at opening but goes very different route on drydown. Aqva develops into that (now atleast to me) annoying seaweed note and stays like it forever but Chanel goes Edition Blanche route with spicy woody sweetness with just hint of Platinum Egoiste.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Blew it Chanel
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

quick question about the criticism that Bleu receives-

Is it bashed because it simply doesnt have anything more to offer then the allure/sport/blanche's? is it bashed because they are simply on there level, but not exceeding there level as much as peoples expectations thought it to be??

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post

Is it bashed because it simply doesnt have anything more to offer then the allure/sport/blanche's? is it bashed because they are simply on there level, but not exceeding there level as much as peoples expectations thought it to be??
    The former, but then the Allures were fairly ordinary drivel as well...

Blog Entries

I would say both of those, PLUS the fact that the "novelties" (in a Chanel, that is) were seemingly all very well-worn mainstream notes and accords.

Bleu de Chanel's debut at Basenotes was like Justin Bieber showing up as the opening act at a heavy metal concert.

Unexpected.

Don't get me wrong - I like Bleu. A lot. But I cannot deny the criticisms many have made. I think it may have been MassMenace who said it best - a disappointment (to many), but one of Chanel quality.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 27th September 2010 at 02:08 AM.

At the risk of offending many in here, there's a lot of snobbery about Bleu. I think it's a litte like comparing pop music to classical music. Personally, I happen to adore great pop music, but it has to be *quality* pop music. Some people only listen to classical music and consider all pop music to be crap. Bleu for me is the equivalent to great pop music. It's not attempting to be something ground-breaking or experimental or classical. It's just a high quality take on mainstream tastes and I happen to love it for that. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    At the risk of offending many in here, there's a lot of snobbery about Bleu. I think it's a litte like comparing pop music to classical music. Personally, I happen to adore great pop music, but it has to be *quality* pop music. Some people only listen to classical music and consider all pop music to be crap. Bleu for me is the equivalent to great pop music. It's not attempting to be something ground-breaking or experimental or classical. It's just a high quality take on mainstream tastes and I happen to love it for that. It is what it is.
    I think a more apt comparison would be consider something like Bleu a great cover version of a pop song :P

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    I think a more apt comparison would be consider something like Bleu a great cover version of a pop song :P
    Hehe. Well there's nothing really wrong with a great cover version is there?

Well, if everybody seems to be singing the same song, doesn't it get boring? Even popular music requires variety.

Well, if everybody seems to be singing the same song, doesn't it get boring? Even popular music requires variety.
    Oh sure!

You know what though? Away from all the posturing and pontificating and debating that we do in here(which I love!), sometimes I just plain old like the smell of something, and I like the smell of Bleu. Really sometimes it all boils down to that.

To me, Chanel Bleu sound more like a Greatest Hits Compilation being sold as a new cd from a major artist. But there`s nothing new with the songs, they just picked the ones that already exist in other cds, put the loudest ones at the beginning, the weakest ones at the end, and the result, while pleasant, it`s not convincing. I`m still trying to find something that makes me justify why do we need another fragrance like this one that chanel launched. I cannot find it, even the material used doesn`t seem to have the same quality used in last chanels. The longevity is short, the sillage is week, the execution is boring, the adversting doesn`t seem connected with the juice itself. What is unexpected in this Chanel? Maybe the only unexpected thing is that anyone couldn`t expect Chanel to go downsize this way and producing something that seems more like an Allure Edition Bleu than a new scent itself that adds something relevant to the chanel line, not only an average common pretty scent.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    The longevity is short, the sillage is week
    I vehemently disagree with that. I'm a stickler for longevity and sillage, and I find both to be well above average in Bleu.

I vehemently disagree with that. I'm a stickler for longevity and sillage, and I find both to be well above average in Bleu.
    I had to spray this one three times before i could be able to detect it properly on skin. I sprayed genereously at first, then wait for two hours, the scent started to disappear on me. Then I sprayed a second time, and then it also started to disappear quickly. Only after the third spray, and in this i finished with my spray sample, i was able to properly detect it. But it was veeery light on me. Maybe i don`t like this fragrance family of chanel bleu, but i`m still trying to see what is so great and sexy here - i swear i can't and this really frustrates me.
    Last edited by rickbr; 27th September 2010 at 02:28 PM.

I had to spray this one three times before i could be able to detect it properly on skin. I sprayed genereously at first, then wait for two hours, the scent started to disappear on me. Then I sprayed a second time, and then it also started to disappear quickly. Only after the third spray, and in this i finished with my spray sample, i was able to properly detect it. But it was veeery light on me. Maybe i don`t like this fragrance family of chanel bleu, but i`m still trying to see what is so great and sexy here - i swear i can and this really frustrates me.
    I agree with rickbr. Very light and hard to detect on me. I need at least 6 sprays to enjoy this, and that's a work application. I'd wear 8 for weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I agree - a lot of similarity. However, my exact view of the similarity has changed. At first, I thought that Blanche was better because the main accord is so much more "out there" - a real "poof" of citrus powder in the face. But now I like Bleu better, because it has both greater longevity AND (most importantly) greater complexity. I almost feel like Bleu was the tweaking of Blanche to both a better fragrance and a more marketable one ("better" being said because I like mainstream stuff).
    To me it`s exactly the opposite, i see chanel bleu as less complex than Edition Blanche. And it seems weaker on me too - with the same spraying amount of edition blanche that makes me stay fragrant all day i can barely detect bleu after 4-5 hours.

Except that in this case the original song wasn't that good to begin with.

I did not have time to read the entire thread...but I think I am going to disagree with most here. I tried Chanel Bleu while traveling, and found it to be a very fine fragrance--balanced and subtle with classic structure done in modern tones. I did not find it to be particularly wearable for women (or should I say THIS woman), and although Bleu seems vigorously masculine, it is still very refined and adaptable. In many ways it reminded me of an updated "Chanelified" version of Guerlain Heritage--fresh herbal fougere over a sweet, resinous, light oriental base. Thumbs up from me!

I kind of liken it to Quentin Tarantino writing/directing Pulp Fiction, then watching the cineplexes become bloated over the years with Pulp Fiction lite movies; movies that want to cash in on the same audience and use the same ingredients of violence, language, over the top comical violence, etc., but ultimately don't do anything to improve on the boundaries of this "new" genre of film until they all become cliches upon cliches, leaving audiences burned out and tired of what has become the same old formulaic routines from less than steady hands. Then, along comes a genuine master of filmmaking, Martin Scorcese, long respected and with many a success under his belt, who decides "hmmm... I wonder what a Quentin Tarantino movie would turn out if it were done by Martin Scorcese".

It's gonna hit on all the same notes, the only difference, it's going to have his signature of style and DNA embody it instead.
    The Bark Bites Back.

.......back to not liking it
    Last edited by Scentologist; 30th September 2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sur la Plage

If fragrance is art, I would liken Bleu de Chanel to a Thomas Kinkade painting.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

To me it`s exactly the opposite, i see chanel bleu as less complex than Edition Blanche. And it seems weaker on me too - with the same spraying amount of edition blanche that makes me stay fragrant all day i can barely detect bleu after 4-5 hours.
    I like Edition Blanche, but I find it a tad synthetic. I prefer Bleu
    Evenstar

tested this on a test strip today. it was good. not amazing. not something that i will fall in love with or something
    Funny how things change!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Ouch! That's harsh!

But wait!

an "original" Kinkade or one of the Posters? (cards, plates etc)

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I like Edition Blanche, but I find it a tad synthetic. I prefer Bleu
    Bleu is as synthetic as Edition Blanche to me, but less distinct.

I think it resumes chanel bleu pretty well. It`s beautiful, but not distinct or profound

I think it resumes chanel bleu pretty well. It`s beautiful, but not distinct or profound
    Personally I don't think everything has to be profound. That would be a very strange world indeed. I'm quite happy to accept Bleu for what it is; a rather lovely, conservative, modern fragrance for men that clearly uses high quality ingredients.

Personally I don't think everything has to be profound. That would be a very strange world indeed. I'm quite happy to accept Bleu for what it is; a rather lovely, conservative, modern fragrance for men that clearly uses high quality ingredients.
    Well, this kind of works when you have few fragrances and a small wishlist. But when you already have other fragrances that can be beautiful and distinct and can fill the spot as chanel bleu seems to fit, it`s hard to justify something so riskless. I can speak for myself, i wasn`t expecting something groundbreaking or shocking. But so mediocre? This i wasn`t expecting from chanel. Chanel should learn with the latest launch from Van Cleef & Arpels of how you do a fragrance that it`s still distinct even when exploring aromas already used before in other fragrances. Midnight In Paris is what Chanel should have launched, but failled miserably with their afraid of risking going outside allure dinasty.
    I`m so sick of smelling in everyone person fragrances as chanel bleu that i don`t have passion at all for this kind of fragrance. I just hope that in 5-10 years they get out of fashion.

Tried Bleu again for the second time, and the fragrance lover in me is repulsed by the total lack of artistery in Bleu de Chanel.

This is another synthetic Woody Oriental that you smell in half of the men's designer releases of the past year. Similar to the Allure Homme line, similar to Gucci by Gucci for men, and similar to Guerlain Homme. Obviously, this kind of scent nowadays has the most impact on focus groups used to gauge interest in men's scents.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I find it so funny that people seem to know when 'high quality ingredients' are used. What captives are used? What expensive aromachemicals? What natural extracts perhaps, although I suppose Bleu de Chanel is mostly synthetics, like all other designer fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    I find it so funny that people seem to know when 'high quality ingredients' are used. What captives are used? What expensive aromachemicals? What natural extracts perhaps, although I suppose Bleu de Chanel is mostly synthetics, like all other designer fragrances.
    I've smelled many synthetic fragrances and while I'm sure there are synthetics involved in Bleu, it doesn't smell very synthetic to my nose. Perhaps you're unable to tell the difference?

When I think of "high quality ingredients," I think of fragrances that do not exude synthetic notes that aren't supposed to be there as part of the concept. For instance, I think Rive Gauche is an example of a good, creative concept executed with less-than-ideal chemicals, evidenced by the (very small) plasticy note I detect. Versace PH is a boring concept with crappy ingredients, since it basically smells like freshened bug spray to me. The concensus seems to be that Bleu takes a basically bland concept and uses good materials to make it as good as it can be. I'm not sure I agree though.

Now maybe these differences are not the results of the aromachemicals themselves, but how they're used...I don't know how many of the same chemicals fragrances share. But it certainly seems like some fragrances use better materials than others.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I've smelled many synthetic fragrances and while I'm sure there are synthetics involved in Bleu, it doesn't smell very synthetic to my nose. Perhaps you're unable to tell the difference?
    If you're so experienced, please list the natural extracts that can be found in Bleu?

Actually I am humble enough to know I'm not a human chromatographer.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    When I think of "high quality ingredients," I think of fragrances that do not exude synthetic notes that aren't supposed to be there as part of the concept. For instance, I think Rive Gauche is an example of a good, creative concept executed with less-than-ideal chemicals, evidenced by the (very small) plasticy note I detect. Versace PH is a boring concept with crappy ingredients, since it basically smells like freshened bug spray to me. The concensus seems to be that Bleu takes a basically bland concept and uses good materials to make it as good as it can be. I'm not sure I agree though.

Now maybe these differences are not the results of the aromachemicals themselves, but how they're used...I don't know how many of the same chemicals fragrances share. But it certainly seems like some fragrances use better materials than others.
    I understand what you're trying to say, but 'high quality ingredients' absolutely don't correlate to 'not having plasticy / synthetic notes' in your fragrance. Something pure and natural like rose CO2 extract smells very harsh, plasticy, unreal and 'not like a real rose'. But that doesn't mean it is a cheap ingredient.

Similary, for example the very real coconut note in Creed's Virgin Island Water, is mainly caused by the (cheapish) synthetic ingredient gamma-nonalactone. Still, the coconut / pia colada feel is very 'real' in Virgin Island Water.

People automatically correlate perception with quality of ingredients, but it's actually more of a quality of mixing the right ingredients to give you a high end perception. The ingredients itself can be cheap and synthetic.

^ Yeah, I see what you mean...so I guess the better way to put it would be "effectively chosen" ingredients for the desired goal.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Good materials are ones that are purely chosen for their smell and not for their price.

Naturals are very often superior for their complexity and depth. Rose oil may not smell like live roses but it does smell fantastic.

There is some truth in what you say stereotomy but working with naturals a lot does help one to learn the difference between synths and naturals and in many cases it becomes obvious in the same way that music from a digital synthesiser is distinguisable from a real instrument. It is true that there are situations where the two are blurred (like when a natural is so predominetly one chemical that using a synthetic means losing little complexity) or when very skillful blending allows synths to take on a complexity approaching that of naturals.

Any perfume produced on the scale on bleu will be predominantly made from synthetics. However many perfumes produced now do still contain naturals in quanitities varying from tiny amounts to suprisingly large.

There are also semi naturals which start as oils but have aspects containing "off-notes" removed.
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

^ Yeah, I see what you mean...so I guess the better way to put it would be "effectively chosen" ingredients for the desired goal.
    I think that's a very appropriate term, LiveJazz

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Any perfume produced on the scale on bleu will be predominantly made from synthetics.
    Absolutely. If the way in which Bleu is storming up the charts is any indication of its popularity then there's a lot, lot of Bleu being made. To achieve production and consistency in that kind of scale, you simply must rely on synthetics to be the backbone of your fragrance.

There are also semi naturals which start as oils but have aspects containing "off-notes" removed.
    Agreed as well. Sure there are naturals used in modern perfumery and I can absolutely appreciate their depth. Synthetics can often mask 'off' notes in naturals so that it actually smells more natural. They always go hand in hand, synthetics and naturals.

I also appreciate synthetic smelling fragrances in the same way I appreciate modern art or music. But I understand why some people prefer Renoir or Mozart.

It reminds me of Armani Mania.

akdeluxe

Odd how Bleu de Chanel has tons of stock in various stores, but Chanel Allure Homme Sport is the one that is back ordered on their site and is virtually impossible to find a deal on ( online and in store )

Bleu de Chanel similar to Gucci by Gucci? I didn't really get that from smelling both the fragrances, though I could be wrong as I am pretty new to this

Doesn't gucci by gucci have tobacco and pepper notes that give it a more smokey scent whereas bleu de chanel is more of a fresh scent?

I did not mean the details, but the same category, structure and overall feel of the scent. Such that Rochas Man is very similar in many regards to A*Men, being a sweet masculine gourmand.

It just struck me that almost all new major releases this year are in this synthetic woody-category as Bleu.

Thumbs up Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

Tried Bleu again for the second time, and the fragrance lover in me is repulsed by the total lack of artistery in Bleu de Chanel.

This is another synthetic Woody Oriental that you smell in half of the men's designer releases of the past year. Similar to the Allure Homme line, similar to Gucci by Gucci for men, and similar to Guerlain Homme. Obviously, this kind of scent nowadays has the most impact on focus groups used to gauge interest in men's scents.
    Finally I made up my mind. I appreciate the artistic concept of Blue From Chanel as georgious. Without any irony the idea of business men all smelling the same does work! I came to the conclusion that application of a fragrance isn't in any way a personal statement. It does adapt to grooming requirements that enables us to live taht close together as we do. Imagine the airplane, J Polge mentiones in his written interview. Within such an airplane everybody is as close as it can get. What the heck it would be if every-body would a) use a signature scent - worse a niche one - of his own or b) radiate very personal natural aromas of unmisstakenable origin, namely real secretions?

While Comme Des Garcons odeurs 53/71 are too special, too niche, too emotional (they are!), ELdO Secretions Magnifique is too provoking, a bare scent of -none- the most generic one does the trick in the end. It will shut up olfactory communication! And that my dear is unavoidable in an airplane sitting skin to skin to strangers. If everybody has the right to mask his very own naturally given odeur, that right has be managed. As not to outperform each other, what has been done loudly in the eighties, the olfactory boombastical decade. Blue From Chanel is peace, nose wise!

Please guys, wear it! While I enjoy my own quiet meditation on xxxxx!

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Finally I made up my mind. I appreciate the artistic concept of Blue From Chanel as georgious. Without any irony the idea of business men all smelling the same does work! I came to the conclusion that application of a fragrance isn't in any way a personal statement. It does adapt to grooming requirements that enables us to live taht close together as we do. Imagine the airplane, J Polge mentiones in his written interview. Within such an airplane everybody is as close as it can get. What the heck it would be if every-body would a) use a signature scent - worse a niche one - of his own or b) radiate very personal natural aromas of unmisstakenable origin, namely real secretions?

While Comme Des Garcons odeurs 53/71 are too special, too niche, too emotional (they are!), ELdO Secretions Magnifique is too provoking, a bare scent of -none- the most generic one does the trick in the end. It will shut up olfactory communication! And that my dear is unavoidable in an airplane sitting skin to skin to strangers. If everybody has the right to mask his very own naturally given odeur, that right has be managed. As not to outperform each other, what has been done loudly in the eighties, the olfactory boombastical decade. Blue From Chanel is peace, nose wise!

Please guys, wear it! While I enjoy my own quiet meditation on xxxxx!
    I think that you only smell generic if you want. I cannot see myself paying more than 50 dollars in something that smell like a refined deodorant spray and last as long as a deodorant spray too. If an application of a fragrance isn`t a personal statement, it only means that you`re buying and wearing something for the others?
    If everybody used wisely signature scents, it wouldn`t be a hell of aromas. But it seems that you have misconcept idea of niche, signature scents and the propose of wearing a fragrance.

I know that i'll not wear it. I know that it`s possible to have personality and not offend the others. Just going for fragrances like bleu de chanel with the justification of they doesn`t offend anyone, and not that you like them, sounds very wrong.

But, everyone has the fragrance that deserves. And i think i deserve more than this from Chanel.
    Last edited by rickbr; 30th September 2010 at 02:11 PM.

I think that you only smell generic if you want. I cannot see myself paying more than 50 dollars in something that smell like a refined deodorant ...
    If everybody used wisely signature scents, it wouldn`t be a hell of aromas. But it seems that you have misconcept idea of niche, signature scents and the propose of wearing a fragrance. ... i think i deserve more than this from Chanel.
    You deserve nothing from Chanel. It isn't their obligation to meet Your expectations.

Consider the fact that the olfactory presence of a person can not be locked out. Close eyes, ask the neighbor to shut up, stuff the ears, but could You stop breathing? "Niche" in my conception means more challanging smells, unusual ones, that take the risk of being nauseating to some, if only for their strangeness.

The purpose of smelly perfumes today could be to give all day life some twist of exitement. But such may fast turn into a terror of information overdrive. All that "signatures" of example given 365 basenoters mixed together in a single airplane, the hell of nausea would emerge. Irregardless of each fragrances quality whatever!

I'm thankfull that peculiar artsy smells are not that widely used. I highly appreciate the humble very concept which Blue From Chanel promotes overtly. Not at least it gives room for the one or two in a hundred people that stand out addressing the sense of smell more violently than all the others. That doesn't say that I'm one of the poor 98. May be we meet one day on the plane, I'm wearing Secretions Magnifique, say 6 spritzes, You are air sick, we talk and I can't get around to tell You what that smell is supposed to be I'm wearing and You are bearing - barf bag, here You are!

I came to the conclusion that application of a fragrance isn't in any way a personal statement. It does adapt to grooming requirements that enables us to live taht close together as we do. Imagine the airplane, J Polge mentiones in his written interview. Within such an airplane everybody is as close as it can get. What the heck it would be if every-body would a) use a signature scent - worse a niche one - of his own or b) radiate very personal natural aromas of unmisstakenable origin, namely real secretions?

Ok, I get what you are saying, and I am not denying the enjoyableness of Bleu, but you can't generalize Secretions Magnifique and the CdG Odeurs to represent all niche scents - this is a huge category, and I would argue that many niche scents are more subtle and focused than mass market scents. I think everyone in this airplane thought experiment would be just fine if the scents present were L'Homme de Coeur, Yuzu Ab Irato 09, Bergamote 22, Angeliques Sous la Pluie, etc. Niche scents can be artistic without being bombastic. Just something to keep in mind.

You deserve nothing from Chanel. It isn't their obligation to meet Your expectations.

Consider the fact that the olfactory presence of a person can not be locked out. Close eyes, ask the neighbor to shut up, stuff the ears, but could You stop breathing? "Niche" in my conception means more challanging smells, unusual ones, that take the risk of being nauseating to some, if only for their strangeness.

The purpose of smelly perfumes today could be to give all day life some twist of exitement. But such may fast turn into a terror of information overdrive. All that "signatures" of example given 365 basenoters mixed together in a single airplane, the hell of nausea would emerge. Irregardless of each fragrances quality whatever!

I'm thankfull that peculiar artsy smells are not that widely used. I highly appreciate the humble very concept which Blue From Chanel promotes overtly. Not at least it gives room for the one or two in a hundred people that stand out addressing the sense of smell more violently than all the others. That doesn't say that I'm one of the poor 98. May be we meet one day on the plane, I'm wearing Secretions Magnifique, say 6 spritzes, You are air sick, we talk and I can't get around to tell You what that smell is supposed to be I'm wearing and You are bearing - barf bag, here You are!
    If you think from the brand`s view you`re right. But as costumer if i don`t see myself satisfied with the chanel launch i think that yes, i deserve better from them, that`s why i`ll not buy it.

The olfactory presence cannot be locked out, as you pointed out, but you can restrict to a non offensive way, and it`s not necessary to go in an average way as Bleu de Chanel. You`ll have a more intimate or pronounced presence of your fragrance depending of the dosage of the fragrance and the points you apply.

And you`re confusing conceptual fragrances with niche ones. Niche isn`t always conceptual in a scandal way as Secretions Magnifiques or the fragrance from Serge Lutens. The niche notion is, or should be, of offering fragrances that the commercial brands have been negleting. You can achieve light and intimate fragrances in a niche way if you do explore the notes in a new way that doesn`t seem focused oriented. How many niche fragrances have you tried? If your notion of niche is from conceptual fragrances like secretions magnifiques, then it`s hard to take it into account.

And there isn`t really a concept being explored by chanel bleu. It`s just the sum of all commercial explored till death until now. It doesn`t add something new to that genre. It could have added without being a shocking fragrance or making it hard to wear. You doesn`t need to be at the opposites, with highly conceptual, like secretions, or highly cheap, like bleu. It`s possible to find something intermediate. And it`s what i was expecting from chanel, and it`s what they failed to me.

This is only being defended because it has the Chanel logo. I doubt that so many people would care so much about it if it was launched by Calvin Klein or Hugo Boss or Ted Lapidus.

Ok, I get what you are saying, and I am not denying the enjoyableness of Bleu, but you can't generalize Secretions Magnifique and the CdG Odeurs to represent all niche scents - this is a huge category, and I would argue that many niche scents are more subtle and focused than mass market scents. I think everyone in this airplane thought experiment would be just fine if the scents present were L'Homme de Coeur, Yuzu Ab Irato 09, Bergamote 22, Angeliques Sous la Pluie, etc. Niche scents can be artistic without being bombastic. Just something to keep in mind.
    And you can also be bombastic without being artistic, like One Million from Paco Rabbane, for example.

Ok, I get what you are saying, ... you can't generalize Secretions Magnifique and the CdG Odeurs to represent all niche scents ...
    The odeurs 53 and 71 are very polite to other noses, take it for granted. So, the point is, why should a perfumer try to stretch the borders a bit wider while not losing contact to the crowd? The most consequent kind of artwork is to hit the target - centered! If a perfumer is after some generic stuff - as Polge said he was, which might be reasonable as I described above - he would rather steer towards the galactic scenter than to take place between all the other wannabe excentrics in the hollow space around.

And you can also be bombastic without being artistic, like One Million from Paco Rabbane, for example.
    uuuhhh - I'm blown.

Not that I would "wear" Blue From Chanel myself! But I like the overt confession that now, when perfume has left it's function as a luxury product for the happy few, a more democratic, egalitarian management of smelly things has to be found.

Everyone wearing ever more absurd concoctions is no option.

uuuhhh - I'm blown.

Not that I would "wear" Blue From Chanel myself! But I like the overt confession that now, when perfume has left it's function as a luxury product for the happy few, a more democratic, egalitarian management of smelly things has to be found.

Everyone wearing ever more absurd concoctions is no option.
    I`m not defending that i think that fragrance sould be a luxury product for the happy few. I do like the democratic approach, but i do think that, if you compare recent launches from the past ones, the sense of something that is both unique and pleasant is being lost.

Again i say, you don`t need to have a polarized wearing, neither absurd, not common too. Why is so hard to accept that you can have something that is wearable and insteresting and without offending anyone?

Ok, so let me try to summarize.

Designer, mass market scents can be subtle and approachable, and can be meant to serve the purpose of making the wearer smell clean in crowded airplanes. Designer, mass market scents can also be bombastic and grating to those not used to them.

It's the exact same story with niche scents - they can be easy for anyone to like, or they can be over the top.

So, this is not a question of artistic vs. not artistic, or of designer vs. niche, or of quality vs. not quality. We've started talking about appeal to the masses vs. appeal to the connoisseurs, or of approachability, which really has nothing to be with price or quality or distribution.

I think we can agree that connoisseur scents and approachable scents both have their places, right?

We're also talking about knowing when it may not be appropriate to apply a heavy application of certain scents in certain environments, like crowded airplanes. This has more to do with the tact of the wearer, and not the scent.

Why is so hard to accept that you can have something that is wearable and insteresting and without offending anyone?
    I think my point hasn't been to clear. I appreciate that J Polge made a statement with this generic fragrance. This very statement has something to say about perfumery. It can be discussed. What use do all those "niche" fragrances have in - lets be focused - human development? They do not reveal that much, do they? Except You can buy them! Tons of money involved in the semi scientific uups: approval / sorry ... ;-) PROOF that useless wares can be desired, bought, possesed and forgotten.

An other thing about being centered: off center there is much room left any time. Every niche has enough to fill out with even so weired boring fragrances. But in the center of it all there is just space for only one at a time. To hit that center is high art. 'May like to lookup the French game 'boule'. I like the idea of THE generic fragrance!
    Last edited by WildThingy; 30th September 2010 at 05:49 PM.

I personally think Bleu de Chanel is quite competent. As many have said, there is an art in producing the most all-appealing scent. I wish all of my SOTD's appealed to everyone as much as they do to me, but the reality is many of them don't. I wear them anyway because I enjoy them. But if they did appeal to everyone, I wouldn't wear them less (unless everyone was also wearing them). I appreciate having scents in my wardrobe that are of good quality (and Bleu does despite what the 'haters' may say) and pleasing to most people around me, especially for occasions when bold scents are inappropriate. I tip my hat to J. Polge for creating yet another blockbuster that most noses will enjoy. Leave the complexities of the niche world to another nose.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I couldn't help but notice how similar this one is to the Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, particularly the dry down.
    My thoughts exactly! Even shockingly similar to the point of asking myself how could people in Chanel could do that? I was thinking of starting a thread here, "Bleu - Allure Edition Blanche: Spot the differences"
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

If this gets to page 12... !!?!?!!

..oh, what the hell am I doing?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Ok, so let me try to summarize.

Designer, mass market scents can be subtle and approachable, and can be meant to serve the purpose of making the wearer smell clean in crowded airplanes. Designer, mass market scents can also be bombastic and grating to those not used to them.

It's the exact same story with niche scents - they can be easy for anyone to like, or they can be over the top.

So, this is not a question of artistic vs. not artistic, or of designer vs. niche, or of quality vs. not quality. We've started talking about appeal to the masses vs. appeal to the connoisseurs, or of approachability, which really has nothing to be with price or quality or distribution.

I think we can agree that connoisseur scents and approachable scents both have their places, right?

We're also talking about knowing when it may not be appropriate to apply a heavy application of certain scents in certain environments, like crowded airplanes. This has more to do with the tact of the wearer, and not the scent.
    You mean like applying 6 sprays of Tauer LADDM for a flight versus 6 sprays of the more transparent Bleu?! Yes, I think the Chanel is more appropriate in that case!

Sorry to bring this discussion back to the comparisons with Axe/Lynx deodorants but there is a new one called Axe/Lynx Alpha. Its in a blue can and its a limited edition. It smells pretty darn similar to Bleu de Chanel. I imagine its a conscious decision on the part of Faberge (who I think still make Axe?) to mimic Bleu considering its success - Bleu has been a big hit here in the UK.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this. Earlier comparisons to Axe/Lynx have been all about Bleu de Chanel's 'cheap' feel. But Axe/Lynx Aplha actually does smell like it.

And I write this as a fan of both!