Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 774
  1. #331
    b0n3z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I hope my Macy's has the smaller spray for my birthday bottle! Last time I checked, they only had the big one.
    Yea I got the 1.7 myself. I think a lot of reaction here is based on the opening notes, which I definitely understand. It does smell very unoriginal. The beauty comes in the drydown IMO.

  2. #332

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    Yea I got the 1.7 myself. I think a lot of reaction here is based on the opening notes, which I definitely understand. It does smell very unoriginal. The beauty comes in the drydown IMO.
    Yep. I bought a bottle today, after letting a sample spray dry down for a while. Glad I gave it another chance. This one grows on you. It's easy to dismiss it on the basis of the opening. It wears very well. As others have said, not a groundbreaking concoction, but it's very well done.

    And if you like elegant packaging, then yes, you'll like this.

  3. #333

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I hope my Macy's has the smaller spray for my birthday bottle! Last time I checked, they only had the big one.
    Go for the Aventus Chuck!

  4. #334

    Default Re: Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

    Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Lady nose poking in here: just sniffed it on my lunch hour. Handsome bottle; juice is utterly dull. First thought was: This smells just like something else. If it weren't so boring, I'd summon the energy to try and think what that scent might be. But I can't bothered.

    Says it all, really.
    Just sniffed this a couple nights ago...and this is exactly what I thought! Exactly.

  5. #335

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    What I can't get my head around is that something that is perceived badly on this forum, turns out to be a compliment getter from non-Basenoters. This has happened before and I would like to somehow have an explanation for that. I don't understand it. Shouldn't we be able to recognise the good stuff? Are they putting in ingredients that work their magic on people who don't have this fragrance hobby? And why doesn't it work on us?
    Last edited by Suppressor; 20th August 2010 at 02:39 AM.

  6. #336

    Default Re: Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

    Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Not necessarily. There have been many scents that have garnered the appreciation of most basenoters from the beginning like Bvlgari's PH Soir, Lalique's Encre Noire, Dior Homme (even though that was "controversial" at the time, many thought it was a step ahead) Lacroix's Tumulte, Loewe's Solo, just to name a few...and there have been instances where many niches have bee critically panned (some of L'Etat libre d'Orange for example)...i agree that we have many Creed believers but we also try to look at fragrances in a more objective way, and there are many people here that certainly don't think much of the claims of the Creed company in different matters.(The most critiqued property of the scents is lack of longevity, and the snobbery of the house being the second)
    I (and i hope i can include a We) encourage discussion and dialogue.

    cheers
    Don't forget Terre d'Hermes

    What surprises me is that you mention Loewe's Solo as a big hit here on Basenotes.

  7. #337

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    No, it's not groundbreaking, but AXE??? Please. For what it is, I think it's well done. For what it's worth, I've gotten more compliments on this in my first few wearings than I'm used to getting when wearing a fragrance. I bought my bottle for under $60 in Orange County, so the price point is not unreasonable either. I think each fragrance concept should be judged on its own merit, not on some preconceived hope that we might have had. I, too, was hoping for a ground-breaker from this house, but since that's not the direction they decided to take (in a very unsettling economic climate, I might add), I have decided to judge it based on the concept that was being attempted. It's done quite well for what it is. If it had been poorly executed I might be jumping in the Chanel bashing waters, but that's just not the case here.
    Very well said.

    Personally I feel like this destroys just about every other fresh fragrance I've come across. Lasts the whole day, too.

  8. #338

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    I bought a bottle yesterday and have really enjoyed it. Yes its fresh, but a fresh fragrance has its purpose and this is done well. Its not as "young" or "sporty" as others. I enjoy the nice classy element it brings to fresh fragrances.

  9. #339
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    What's freaky is how many bottles of this are selling. I'm counting quite a few. Even the most critical bloggers have been saying this would do well, and all indications are that it is. Perhaps this really is the one to kick Acqua di Gio off the throne....

    My main reservation has been, as others have said, the absence of a distinguishable hook note. I'm curious what those of you who are reversing course on this one are seeing in it now - what's different? What is grabbing your attention?
    * * * *

  10. #340
    ToughCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southlake, Tx
    Posts
    3,073

    Default Re: Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

    Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I agree with this, and I'll add one more...

    Most aquatics try to evoke that "fresh out of the shower" feeling. In my opinion, Bleu comes off much too heavy to feel any type of freshness. Also, there is a shampoo or laundry detergent vibe here that is completely synthetic. It's not an objectionable smell, but it's also not something I would choose to smell like. It's too suave to use as a sports fragrance, but not nearly suave enough to choose it over anything else in my wardrobe for that purpose. It's trying to be a jack of all trades, when it reality, it doesn't do anything well that a good aquatic should.
    What is funny is that the Macy's people were pumping it for Fall/Winter. So there you go on the heavy.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  11. #341
    KMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,330

    Default Re: Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    What is funny is that the Macy's people were pumping it for Fall/Winter. So there you go on the heavy.
    It's a strange bird... It's an aquatic scent that wears like an oriental.

  12. #342
    NYCBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

    Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Has anyone seen the video advert for this yet ,as today is the launch date thought it might be out somewhere. It could be the most interesting thing about the fragrance together with the great bottle !
    The video can be found on the home page of the Chanel website here:
    http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragranc...ragrance-88106

    Click on the tab near the bottom of the page labeled "The Trailer". It is a mindless thing, all of 10 seconds long, that seems to be targeted toward the young rather than mature audiences.

  13. #343
    NYCBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

    As an afterthought, I noticed that in the video the pretty girl is running away from the man who is presumably wearing Bleu rather than toward him. That says something about the fragrance, doesn't it?

  14. #344

    Default Re: Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

    Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    This fragrance is the food equivalent of a turkey sandwich. It's simple, tastes good, easy to make, and gets the job done. However, with all the different, better tasting, more interesting choices you can opt to have, why wouldn't you choose to have something better?
    I don't like turkey sandwiches...

  15. #345

    Default Re: Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

    Bland de Chanel. Characterless. The John Doe of fragrance. A scentless scent. I think it can be used as a disinfectant?
    Very harmless. Very nothing.

  16. #346

    Default Re: Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I finally tried it and it is really banal, banal and LOUD!
    Agree. My first thought was Eau de Grey Flannel, which can be bought for $15 at Marshall's.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Coco Noir by Chanel

  17. #347

    Default Re: Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

    It finally showed up over here and an SA let me have a spritz on my wrist. She gave me a split-second before proclaiming, "Isn't it wonderful!?" I was like, "Eh, I think I should let it sit a little on my skin to see how it develops"...

    I just don't feel the need for this kind of fragrance. For what its trying to do, it seems to have been constructed in a sophisticated way with refined nuances, but the overall effect (smelled up close at least) left me bored and underwhelmed. Perhaps the scent has a better focus smelled from a slight distance i.e.on someone else(?).

  18. #348
    ToughCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southlake, Tx
    Posts
    3,073

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    What's freaky is how many bottles of this are selling. I'm counting quite a few. Even the most critical bloggers have been saying this would do well, and all indications are that it is. Perhaps this really is the one to kick Acqua di Gio off the throne....

    My main reservation has been, as others have said, the absence of a distinguishable hook note. I'm curious what those of you who are reversing course on this one are seeing in it now - what's different? What is grabbing your attention?
    I've been backing this the last couple of days and liked it from the start. As some might know, or even if you didn't, I don't mind designer stuff. I'm pretty simple. I'm an attorney that wakes up, puts on my clothes, goes to work, comes home and plays with my 2 little girls and wife. I go have a beer and wings with friends. I like sitting with my wife and sharing some wine. I've done ALOT of niche testing...as some might also remember. Fun but nothing ever just makes me think.."have to have it." All of this plays into why I like it. It is something I can spray on, know I smell good, and know it fits with my business look or at home. I like that.

    You know when you walk down the halls of work or when you are out and you smell a guy pass by and are like..that smells really good but familar. You can't put your finger on it but you hope you smell like that or people notice it like that. That is what this is to me. Something that may seem middle of the road but it is actually just what an every day scent should be. It smells like quality to me too. Smells like business quality.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    No, it's not groundbreaking, but AXE??? Please. For what it is, I think it's well done. For what it's worth, I've gotten more compliments on this in my first few wearings than I'm used to getting when wearing a fragrance. I bought my bottle for under $60 in Orange County, so the price point is not unreasonable either. I think each fragrance concept should be judged on its own merit, not on some preconceived hope that we might have had. I, too, was hoping for a ground-breaker from this house, but since that's not the direction they decided to take (in a very unsettling economic climate, I might add), I have decided to judge it based on the concept that was being attempted. It's done quite well for what it is. If it had been poorly executed I might be jumping in the Chanel bashing waters, but that's just not the case here.
    Well said
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  19. #349
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios
    Posts
    135,550

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    I picked it up a few days ago and while not anything wowing, I kind of like it.

  20. #350
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    here
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    What I can't get my head around is that something that is perceived badly on this forum, turns out to be a compliment getter from non-Basenoters. This has happened before and I would like to somehow have an explanation for that. I don't understand it. Shouldn't we be able to recognise the good stuff? Are they putting in ingredients that work their magic on people who don't have this fragrance hobby? And why doesn't it work on us?
    Many basenotes members will not rate a fragrance highly based solely on compliments received, but a number of aspects such as uniqueness, tenacity, and personal enjoyment.

  21. #351

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    You know when you walk down the halls of work or when you are out and you smell a guy pass by and are like..that smells really good but familar. You can't put your finger on it but you hope you smell like that or people notice it like that. That is what this is to me. Something that may seem middle of the road but it is actually just what an every day scent should be. It smells like quality to me too. Smells like business quality.
    This sums it up for me now. I needed an everyday scent that wasn't Acqua di Gio. This is my second day wearing my sample. And I'm going to say right now that I'm buying a bottle of the stuff tomorrow. And I'll get the 3.4 oz because it's only $15 more than the 1.7 oz.

    This stuff lasts all day on me and while it has a "fresh" opening, it has a quality dry down that isn't "sporty", at least not in my opinion of what I consider sporty. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that while AdG definitely says "young" to me, Bleu says "a little more mature". It has a darker more complex crafting to it than the aforementioned boy scents.

    Since my wife likes it, since it seems like something I could wear every day and not just special occasions, since I think it is pretty well formulated and since I think it says "simple, understated, familiar" I'm going to go ahead and be the first on my block to own a bottle. I like it!!

    I know a lot of you guys have come to expect more from Chanel and I think that is the main source of disappointment here. As mentioned numerous times, this is mainstream stuff meant to generate huge piles of cash and not necessarily a beautiful Chanel fragrance. I can understand why some of you are upset. I don't have a history with Chanel (yet). In fact, this is my first Chanel fragrance and I bet I'm about to get blasted by making this middle of the road, bland, boring scent my first Chanel scent, but that's OK.

    This stuff works for me and the wife wants to be close to me as I wear it. Nordstrom's here I come!!

    But, in deference, let me ask the Chanel followers here what my next Chanel purchase should be. I'm not all that in to powdery scents (that's what Chanel evokes for me, prove me wrong). Give me a clue and I'll pick up a sample of some recommended Chanel scents tomorrow.

    Thanks guys... just remember every is entitled to an opinion and that is what makes the USA (and Basenotes), such a great place to live!
    WTB: EMPTY A*Men Metal Refillable Flask

  22. #352

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Many basenotes members will not rate a fragrance highly based solely on compliments received, but a number of aspects such as uniqueness, tenacity, and personal enjoyment.
    I agree. Also I think of it this way: a trained musician is able to more fully appreciate/critique a musical performance over the untrained ear. While a non-musician may find a performance wonderful, the professional musician will be able to pick out all the mistakes and flubs. I think the more you know and experience about fragrance, the pickier you get. Where Bleu may be a perfectly pleasant frag that garners compliments, to my nose, it smells ordinary. If I am going to put money out to buy something, I want it to be unique and well done--whether it's from Bath and Body Works or Creed.

  23. #353
    Surfacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A Day Dream
    Posts
    4,620

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    My opinion of Chanel has not changed all that much after sampling Bleu. I never thought much of their men's fragrances. Egoiste, Allure ( and its flankers) and Platinum Egoiste are all "thumbs down" fragrances for me.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  24. #354
    b0n3z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by Diabolikul View Post
    This sums it up for me now. I needed an everyday scent that wasn't Acqua di Gio. This is my second day wearing my sample. And I'm going to say right now that I'm buying a bottle of the stuff tomorrow. And I'll get the 3.4 oz because it's only $15 more than the 1.7 oz.

    This stuff lasts all day on me and while it has a "fresh" opening, it has a quality dry down that isn't "sporty", at least not in my opinion of what I consider sporty. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that while AdG definitely says "young" to me, Bleu says "a little more mature". It has a darker more complex crafting to it than the aforementioned boy scents.

    Since my wife likes it, since it seems like something I could wear every day and not just special occasions, since I think it is pretty well formulated and since I think it says "simple, understated, familiar" I'm going to go ahead and be the first on my block to own a bottle. I like it!!

    I know a lot of you guys have come to expect more from Chanel and I think that is the main source of disappointment here. As mentioned numerous times, this is mainstream stuff meant to generate huge piles of cash and not necessarily a beautiful Chanel fragrance. I can understand why some of you are upset. I don't have a history with Chanel (yet). In fact, this is my first Chanel fragrance and I bet I'm about to get blasted by making this middle of the road, bland, boring scent my first Chanel scent, but that's OK.

    This stuff works for me and the wife wants to be close to me as I wear it. Nordstrom's here I come!!

    But, in deference, let me ask the Chanel followers here what my next Chanel purchase should be. I'm not all that in to powdery scents (that's what Chanel evokes for me, prove me wrong). Give me a clue and I'll pick up a sample of some recommended Chanel scents tomorrow.

    Thanks guys... just remember every is entitled to an opinion and that is what makes the USA (and Basenotes), such a great place to live!
    Check this out.

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/258...e-men-s-Chanel

    Same situation. Seems like Antaeus was the clear winner.

  25. #355
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    ^^^^ and ^^^^^^^ Great explanations, guys. It all makes sense. Like NEoTY26 says, there are a variety of reasons for rating a fragrance highly, and it varies - thankfully - from person to person. No need to apologize for liking mainstream frags.

    I think Chanel was very, very smart here. Releasing it at the end of summer - it's almost like they're "following up" Acqua di Gio both in real time and (attempting to) in the market. The reasons people are liking this are moneymaker reasons, IMO.

    I do like the fact that this one feels wearable any time or place. Versatility isn't a bad trait.

    I agree that Chanels all have a powdery feel - which I happen to love. Among Chanels, you may want to try Égoïste (the original, not Platinum) or the original Allure Homme - they probably wouldn't be too powdery, IMO. One thing I do like about Bleu is that it's less powdery than Blanche. Sometimes that powder just feels a bit too girlie. I don't feel like throwing on my circular saw woodies - I want something soft - but I don't want something as fluffy as Blanche. Bleu would do.
    * * * *

  26. #356

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    ^^^^ and ^^^^^^^ Great explanations, guys. It all makes sense. Like NEoTY26 says, there are a variety of reasons for rating a fragrance highly, and it varies - thankfully - from person to person. No need to apologize for liking mainstream frags.

    I think Chanel was very, very smart here. Releasing it at the end of summer - it's almost like they're "following up" Acqua di Gio both in real time and (attempting to) in the market. The reasons people are liking this are moneymaker reasons, IMO.

    I do like the fact that this one feels wearable any time or place. Versatility isn't a bad trait.

    I agree that Chanels all have a powdery feel - which I happen to love. Among Chanels, you may want to try Égoïste (the original, not Platinum) or the original Allure Homme - they probably wouldn't be too powdery, IMO. One thing I do like about Bleu is that it's less powdery than Blanche. Sometimes that powder just feels a bit too girlie. I don't feel like throwing on my circular saw woodies - I want something soft - but I don't want something as fluffy as Blanche. Bleu would do.
    Hey Red, It's a slippery slope.

  27. #357

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    I finally sampled this last night at Macys and both them and Nordstom are well stocked on it. This not a scent about the night it is an marine scent. Instead of calling it Aqua de Chanel it bleu. The bottle looks like a hybrid of Allure Homme.

    Gosh now even Chanel has a aqua fragrance.

  28. #358
    KMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,330

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Looking forward to trying Aqua de Guerlain...

  29. #359

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Chanel's strategy may be all about filling the need for a niche and color - blue. They wanted their own blue aquatic - everyone else has one. Bleu de Chanel goes heads up with: Hugh Parsons Blue, Versace Pour Homme, Bulgari Aqua Marine, Gucci Homme Sport (its not blue is it?), Stetson All American. Only problem is we all expected more from Chanel, so to satisfy our need for Chanel quality they gave it a first class name and bottle design that is very blue.

  30. #360
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Picasso View Post
    Hey Red, It's a slippery slope.
    LOL! That it is! I've already slipped on the powder of Blanche and Eau Première, and if I'm not careful, Bleu is going to drop me for another big piece of change, and I'll be sliding on my butt down the hill toward Coco Corners!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Chanel's strategy may be all about filling the need for a niche and color - blue. They wanted their own blue aquatic - everyone else has one. Bleu de Chanel goes heads up with: Hugh Parsons Blue, Versace Pour Homme, Bulgari Aqua Marine, Gucci Homme Sport (its not blue is it?), Stetson All American. Only problem is we all expected more from Chanel, so to satisfy our need for Chanel quality they gave it a first class name and bottle design that is very blue.
    Yup - it was definitely a hole in their offerings. Homme Sport wasn't blue enough, really.

    LOL @ KMF - yeah, if the new Homme Eau isn't enough to satisfy the marketeers, I could see the proposals for Aqua de Guerlain, or even Azur de Guerlain. Oy vey!
    * * * *

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chanel (Reform) Vs. Chanel (Vintage) *Opinions*
    By Balavassassin in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24th August 2010, 03:01 PM
  2. chanel for man vs chanel pour monsieur.
    By moreda in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th June 2009, 10:59 PM
  3. Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Chanel Antaeus, Chanel Cristalle EdP
    By Aiona in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th January 2009, 07:03 AM
  4. Which one do you prefer? Chanel Antaeus or Chanel P-M-C?
    By Oslo-Fjord in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18th November 2008, 09:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000