Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

Most boring and the biggest dissapointing scent from Chanel for me... But nice bottle.

More I wear Bleu, more I like it. It is not super interesting or unique or anything like that, just perfect aquatic and much more wearable for me than most of "more interesting masterpieces".
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

I re-purchased this and I am enjoying it more. With lowered expectations, it's actually pretty pleasing. Too much hype at the beginning killed it for me. Same with D&G The One.

The hype with Aventus is deserved, but more for what others think about it on me, rather than my own personal enjoyment. Kind of the reverse of Creed Tabarome on my skin. I dug it, and my little son dug it on me, but no one else did! I wish others liked Tabarome on me like they do Aventus.

Post Thanks / Like

I tested this when I received my decant of Bleu de Chanel from TPC last week. For me, it smelled like a toned down, smoother version of Chanel Egoiste Platinum; I think it's the jasmine note that makes them smell similar. Bleu also lasted 7+ hours on my skin, which is very good for a fresh fragrance.

It's not for me, but I'm gonna give Bleu a .

40k+ views for this putrid piece of turd? ROFL!

I finally managed to understand what the hell is going on, not only in discussions on perfumery but other forms of art as well. Not only on Bleu but other recent offerings too.
    We aren't after the same thing.
    What the vast majority of people consider extremely classy and high quality in practical, daily clothing is pure junk, crass, and boring in haute couture. The keyword here is kitsch.
    I want extremely high quality kitsch as I'm not interested enough in perfumery, I want to revel in it, to soothe my senses, as well as in music and other arts that aren't of my primary interest.
    I feel contempt for you as much as you feel for me in, say, literature.

We are all foolish but I still don't like you. At least now we know we are wasting our time debating this.
    Last edited by ZeCheiroso; 31st December 2010 at 04:43 AM.

I've gone from praise, to disdain back to like somehow about Bleu. I get compliments when I wear it; but honestly it just feels comfortable when I wear it.

Synthetic? Hell yes. But I get a different vibe each time I wear it.
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com | Yep! This Is My Moving Sale Thread
    My Decant & Bottles Swap Thread | I need a Creed Original Vetiver cap...

Post Thanks / Like

Tested it on my boy tonight so I could have time away from it to check the notes as they progress. It's very middle of the road decent to me. Towards then end, however, I get that artificial melon smell that is so amazingly overdone in the designer world. I hated that smell the very first time I smelled that accord and haven't improved my attitude towards it one bit.

Not great and not horrible. It just seems really average!

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't understand is all the people who review this scent and say things like "It's pleasant, but just not ground breaking enough for Chanel" and then give it a thumbs down rather than a neutral.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    What I don't understand is all the people who review this scent and say things like "It's pleasant, but just not ground breaking enough for Chanel" and then give it a thumbs down rather than a neutral.
    They must be hurting deep inside when they wrote them reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newhaarlem View Post
    they must be hurting deep inside when they wrote them reviews.
    lmao!

With all thats been said, seems to me that bleu is a perfect scent for someone just starting out with quality colognes.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got to smell this recently. Not bad at aaaaall!

Yes, it doesnt "break new ground", blah blahdy blah. It however delivers the "now-familiar" with lots of quality. Synthetic? Define synthetic. I dont know of any many other mainstream frags made from naturally-derived "natural" ingredients. Whatever be the case, BdC is much better than a lot of the reference frags many reviewers make their comparisons with, IMO. That is all that matters to my nose and mind. When i want "familiar", and i do sometimes, i would rather go with quality "familiar", and in the short time i have known Bleu, it is already my new "familiar" frag. The drydown trumps the opening notes, and it is with the drydown a wearer spends most time with.

Please add my name to the register of "likers". Bought a bottle out of "like". I hope "love" comes soon.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

I love how everything has to be exciting to be good. Seriously when has a female ever came up to you and told you "Your cologne is boring, it lacks complex well blended notes, it smells synthetic"? Please I'm in the mood for a story.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Bleu de Chanel. Granted, it does smell very mainstream (woody citrus), but it does it better than just about any other example in this genre. The fact that it is extremely well balanced is, in itself, an acheivement, and I think makes it a quality perfume. I'll agree that it's a bit dull though.

People here rave about $200 niche scents that are poorly blended all the time. I'll take a perfectly blended and balanced mainstream fragrance over some poorly constructed, unbalanced, so-called "cutting edge" niche pice of crap (Secretions Magnifique, e.g.?) any day.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante10 View Post
    I love how everything has to be exciting to be good. Seriously when has a female ever came up to you and told you "Your cologne is boring, it lacks complex well blended notes, it smells synthetic"? Please I'm in the mood for a story.
    ROFL. This was good one.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I like Bleu de Chanel. Granted, it does smell very mainstream (woody citrus), but it does it better than just about any other example in this genre. The fact that it is extremely well balanced is, in itself, an acheivement, and I think makes it a quality perfume. I'll agree that it's a bit dull though.

People here rave about $200 niche scents that are poorly blended all the time. I'll take a perfectly blended and balanced mainstream fragrance over some poorly constructed, unbalanced, so-called "cutting edge" niche pice of crap (Secretions Magnifique, e.g.?) any day.
    Very well said! I completely agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, but this is another Chanel disapointment for me and will not grace the hallowed halls of my wardrobe. Just not my cup of tea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you're wearing fragrances strictly for compliments, then I'm not sure you truly enjoy them. Compliments are nice, but that should never be a gauge of whether a fragrance is good or not.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Post Thanks / Like

I'm liking it so far. Very pleasant scent.....gotten a lot of positive feedback..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL

So true. My wife seems to have two categories - "Smells good!" and "Smells the same!"

I'm lucky that Bleu is one that we both like quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    If you're wearing fragrances strictly for compliments, then I'm not sure you truly enjoy them. Compliments are nice, but that should never be a gauge of whether a fragrance is good or not.
    Just an example dude, fragrances help with my confidence. I wear them around campus so I don't feel so self conscious about my self. I like to smell good. I don't judge a fragrance by how "Boring or mainstream" it is. If it smells good I'll buy it, if I think I have something similar then I don't. It's that simple. Most people on Basenotes are quick to write something off if it's made by a particular house. I don't understand how something like that is happening, everyone should do their best to keep an open mind no matter if a fragrance is "mainstream" or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's interesting - there are days when I love a fragrance so much that I'll be wearing it no matter what other people think - but I may very well be careful about where and when and how much of it I'm going to wear, just out of respect and common courtesy. But there are also days when smelling good to others is at the top of my list, and picking something more mainstream or suited to the situation is likely to happen. I also end up picking frags depending upon how closely I'll be working with others, or if we're eating, etc. These are all valid considerations. Smelling good to myself and smelling good to others are similar but not identical goals. Bleu works both ways for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just an example dude, fragrances help with my confidence. I wear them around campus so I don't feel so self conscious about my self. I like to smell good. I don't judge a fragrance by how "Boring or mainstream" it is. If it smells good I'll buy it, if I think I have something similar then I don't. It's that simple. Most people on Basenotes are quick to write something off if it's made by a particular house. I don't understand how something like that is happening, everyone should do their best to keep an open mind no matter if a fragrance is "mainstream" or not?
    Oh, that's fine. You should never write off a fragrance because it comes from a certain house, or costs a certain price. I'd wear anything. If I liked more 10$ fragrances than 200$ ones, I'd be on a cloud. You just really have to trust your nose. I was just hoping that you weren't someone who actively seeks compliments, because there's no real guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    It's interesting - there are days when I love a fragrance so much that I'll be wearing it no matter what other people think - but I may very well be careful about where and when and how much of it I'm going to wear, just out of respect and common courtesy. But there are also days when smelling good to others is at the top of my list, and picking something more mainstream or suited to the situation is likely to happen. I also end up picking frags depending upon how closely I'll be working with others, or if we're eating, etc. These are all valid considerations. Smelling good to myself and smelling good to others are similar but not identical goals. Bleu works both ways for me.
    Oh I'm the same way. I never wear fragrances I feel may be obtrusive or unusual when I know I'm going to be in a social environment. It's quite hard to find fragrances that have the perfect balance of wide appeal (in that they aren't too unusual or challenging), while still being unique, interesting, and well made. That's pretty much what I try and find. I sort of stay between the well made designer fragrances, and accessible niche fragrances. This year I found a couple! My first buy will definitely be CN 21, because that one is at least affordable.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Why doesn't Chanel make the good stuff readily available and reasonably priced? Why is Cuir de Russie $200 dollars a bottle IF you can find it? Why can't their mid-priced scents be as good as they should be. Chanel used to charge reasonable prices for their entire line which was always quality. Always the best. This was true up until about Egoiste. What happened? It's extremely annoying. Why aren't the men's line bottles as nice as the women's? Urrrrrgh!

Post Thanks / Like

wise words
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing I don't get is why people are bashing Bleu de Chanel here, but Allure Homme seems to get a thumbs up here. For me, Allure Homme is a disgrace becuase I think it smells cheap and like a sports fragrance vanilla hell. I don't think it does what it does (i.e., the fresh sports thing) well at all. Bleu is leagues above Allure Homme.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing I don't get is why people are bashing Bleu de Chanel here, but Allure Homme seems to get a thumbs up here. For me, Allure Homme is a disgrace becuase I think it smells cheap and like a sports fragrance vanilla hell. I don't think it does what it does (i.e., the fresh sports thing) well at all. Bleu is leagues above Allure Homme.
    I think Bleu is a flanker of Allure Homme, that's why it has a similar bottle design. Also, I think they are in the same league when it comes to scent, versatility, and longevity, which are all pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by colormechris View Post
    Why doesn't Chanel make the good stuff readily available and reasonably priced? Why is Cuir de Russie $200 dollars a bottle IF you can find it? Why can't their mid-priced scents be as good as they should be. Chanel used to charge reasonable prices for their entire line which was always quality. Always the best. This was true up until about Egoiste. What happened? It's extremely annoying. Why aren't the men's line bottles as nice as the women's? Urrrrrgh!
    I think the Allure Homme Sport and Edition Blanche bottles are pretty sexy IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this was already posted, but there's now a shower gel and after-shave balm(as opposed to the lotion) for Bleu! I just bought the shower gel here in Dublin and they were already out of the after-shave balm, but the SA gave me two samples of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bleu de Chanel

Okay, I'm going crazy about this scent! I hated it when I smelled it at first, but I've been living with a sample of it and I love it. I don't think it's really popular on here though. Anyway, anyone can suggest something else from this house?

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel

Chanel Pour Monsieur

Platinum Egoiste and Allure Homme Sport...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Antaeus, Egoiste and Egoiste Concentree
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

If I haven't smelled Bleu de Chanel for a while and then try it, I absolutely adore it! By the end of the same day, I never want to smell it again. Odd.

Post Thanks / Like

I found it boring to be honest. I vote Platinum Egoiste.

Post Thanks / Like

PE.

Post Thanks / Like

egoiste original.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm nuts about Bleu, too. Right now, however, I'm really digging the oldies. Antaeus and Égoïste. Antaeus is my beeswax buzz, and Égoïste is my manly rose.

But you need to cross the line and try Chanel no.5 Eau Première. It even layers most awesomely with Bleu. The combination smells amazing to ladies, but it will surely horrify the BN purists. Who cares? Be REALLY unexpected.

I have Chanel Allure Homme, I love it, I'm also ordering Allure Homme Sport as well I also love that, I hated Bleu De at first but after that it's smells so good so I'm going to order it soon .

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Antaeus.
    Egoiste.
    Sycomore.
    Coromandel.

Post Thanks / Like

Please try Egoiste, Antaeus (older and more challenging to wear) and my fave mainstream Chanel, Allure homme.

I don't care much for Bleu de chanel...it has too many of the sporty citrus-ginger components in it.

Do a test: spray Bleu and Dior Homme Sport side by side on skin and the generic citrus-spice combo will glaringly stare back from Bleu at you.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    I have to agree. PM is far superior than Bleu or Egoiste. Have not worn Antaeus.

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Pour Monsieur all the way for me. Antaeus is great too...

I have tried Bleu a couple of times and hated it. To me it just doesn't smell like it's come from Chanel.
    LOST! in scent and music

Another vote for platinum egoiste.

Looking at your thread, I think I have to sample Bleu de Chanel again. I didn't like it when I briefly sampled it a year ago when it first came out. I found it boring, but it might just worth trying this out again judging from fellow BNers replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I liked Bleu from the first time I skelled it, but it grows on me even more every time I wear it. It's one of those that smells hetter tye longer it's on the skin. The heart is a little better than the top, and the base is just awesome.

Along the same lines from Chanel - Allure Edition Blanche and Platinum Egoiste.

Post Thanks / Like

I don´t like Bleu find it very generic. I love Allure Homme and Pour monsieur. Egoiste, Antaeus and the other Allures, all are quality fragrances in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Pour monsieur edt: absolutely masculine fresh chypre
    Antaeus: sexy fresh-leather scent
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Post Thanks / Like

I like Bleu, but I don't love it- a small decant will suffice for me. If you love Bleu, I would recommend sampling Allure Homme and Platinum Egoiste I guess, though I didn't like either enough to warrant a bottle.

My favorites from Chanel would have to be:

Egoiste
    Egoiste Concentree
    Sycomore
    Antaeus (vintage preferably)

Great house in my opinion.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Post Thanks / Like

I have quite few from the house of Chanel, I find Chanel Allure Sport and Bleu de Chanel to be the best. I also receive the most complements from those two.

Quote Originally Posted by jshin100 View Post
    Okay, I'm going crazy about this scent! I hated it when I smelled it at first, but I've been living with a sample of it and I love it. I don't think it's really popular on here though. Anyway, anyone can suggest something else from this house?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    Pour monsieur edt: absolutely masculine fresh chypre
    Antaeus: sexy fresh-leather scent
    Totally agree....but I would add that vintage Chanel for Men is FAR superior to what Chanel passes off today as Pour Monsieur...If you can find a bottle...buy it! Well worth the price of admission.

Post Thanks / Like

My fav's: Egoiste / Coromandel / Sycomore.

I find Bleu and Allure Homme Sport to be rather boring, but I do like Allure Homme.

Post Thanks / Like

Egoiste, PE, and Allure Homme... Haven't tried Sycamore but looking to get a sample.

Post Thanks / Like

This is working great for me today. Superb office scent. Three sprays are getting the job done. My wife really liked it on me this morning and it's holding up very well some seven or so hours later. This could be a great "go-to" scent for work.

Post Thanks / Like

i like Blue de Chanel, not bad at all actually and i'm getting a bottle soon despite all the hate i've read.

Best cologne on the planet right now (designer that is)

Love this scent, everyone should try it.

Post Thanks / Like

what makes it best cologne on the planet? what makes it unique? I can name 3-4 colognes easily that smell just like Bleu and their price tag is several times lower. Bleu is a safe, innofensive but somewhat pleasant scent, a pure example how far the synthetics can go nowdays. But it sells well, actually same trick is played in Gucci Guilty for Men.