Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

Some news.
    Bleu de Chanel is BLACK actually!
    Both bottle and box.

As for the stopper - it takes the magnet trick from Les Exclusifs bottles+stoppers.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

OK, I`ve got it to smell.
    Let me repeat from SOTD.

Bleu de Chanel (2010)
    Anthology of masculine luxe perfumery of last 10 years. Sport cologne going to woody coumarin cedar.
    Good reason to buy one modern scent instead of tens.
    No doubts, it will be the Baikonur\Canaveral for other ten Chanel flankers.

Blind test on perfume SA revealed great commercial potential (women loved it, they found it "nice", "good", "modern", "yummy" and "something very known"). No one recognise Chanel style.

In one-two-three accord - it`s grapefruit going cedar. It`s better than most sport colognes, it has a style and depth, but lacks originality.
    The only innovation could be - long-lasting citrus effect which is made of lemon, grapefruit, ginger, vetiver.

I`d say - it`s Eau Sauvage idea made in 00`years of XXI century. Bright citrus, polished by hedione, with dark woody sillage.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    I`d say - it`s Eau Sauvage idea made in 00`years of XXI century. Bright citrus, polished by hedione, with dark woody sillage.
    I am cautiously optimistic...

I read Octavian's review which is rather sceptical...
    after reading moon_fish I am not so sceptical about new Chanel - if it's modern Eau Sauvage - why not?
    Last edited by DreamerII; 10th June 2010 at 08:12 AM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Sur la Plage

OK, I`ve got it to smell.
    Let me repeat from SOTD.

Bleu de Chanel (2010)
    Anthology of masculine luxe perfumery of last 10 years. Sport cologne going to woody coumarin cedar.
    Good reason to buy one modern scent instead of tens.
    No doubts, it will be the Baikonur\Canaveral for other ten Chanel flankers.

Blind test on perfume SA revealed great commercial potential (women loved it, they found it "nice", "good", "modern", "yummy" and "something very known"). No one recognise Chanel style.

In one-two-three accord - it`s grapefruit going cedar. It`s better than most sport colognes, it has a style and depth, but lacks originality.
    The only innovation could be - long-lasting citrus effect which is made of lemon, grapefruit, ginger, vetiver.

Thanks for the warning.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Will be looking forward to this!

Could it be a sleeper like Versace Pour Homme?

There is some quality there.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Picasso View Post
    Could it be a sleeper like Versace Pour Homme?

There is some quality there.
    A lot of quality actually.
    It`s modern high-quality cologne. Perfume equivalent of soccer Bundesteam of 90`s. "All the world loves football, and Germany always wins!"
    Vetiver The Great!!!

".....and Germany always wins!"
    Heaven fobid!!

I'll bite and buyit!

Blog Entries

moon_fish - thanks for the report. I thought it interesting that nobody you questioned was recognizing a Chanel style. How about you? Is there any sign of the hand of Polge in this? Polge with a new twist? Polge doing focus group? That Chanel citrus thing which all their masculines seem to share in one way or another? Just curious what YOUR stylistic analysis is - mainly because I trust your perception of style. I like the woody Eau Sauvage description. But I'm worried about the potential for "too many" flankers. That's one vice I wish Chanel would overcome.

Some news.
    Bleu de Chanel is BLACK actually!
    Both bottle and box.

As for the stopper - it takes the magnet trick from Les Exclusifs bottles+stoppers.
    Yeah ever since 212 MEN did that quirky magnet trick it has since became unoriginal. I can't believe Chanel has stooped that low in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    moon_fish - thanks for the report. I thought it interesting that nobody you questioned was recognizing a Chanel style. How about you? Is there any sign of the hand of Polge in this? Polge with a new twist? Polge doing focus group? That Chanel citrus thing which all their masculines seem to share in one way or another? Just curious what YOUR stylistic analysis is - mainly because I trust your perception of style. I like the woody Eau Sauvage description. But I'm worried about the potential for "too many" flankers. That's one vice I wish Chanel would overcome.
    I Should admit that I could not perceive POlge style blindly. I`d not attribute Bleu de Chanel to him from my testing - even though his citrus accord is clear and one could smell it in Allure flankers (Edition Blanche).
    About ES - BdC is not just ES + woody notes. It`s The Anthologie of ES development made by parfumers of last 10 years. Very shy and cautious as all the luxe perfumes today.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

They should have released it world-wide in May for the summer season, les idiots!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Due to one-per-decade character of Chanel masculine launches, season does not matter, IMHO
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I was told by a Chanel Boutique representative that the best way to describe it is a mixture of Chanel
    Egoiste
    platinium
    and Chanel Allure Sport.....
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I was told by a Chanel Boutique representative that the best way to describe it is a mixture of Chanel
    Egoiste
    platinium
    and Chanel Allure Sport.....
    Oy vey...

Blog Entries

Got a chance to sniff it on paper and skin at my Saks yesterday. They were taking orders, but I decided to observe the full development. Still undecided on a buy. I will need some test wears with multiple sprays, because it's no powerhouse, and more subtle than Édition Blanche. Samples are in order.

These are just my subjective impressions. Very honest. Bear in mind that I'm a Chanel admirer, albeit not a fanboy. I think I own four Chanel masculines and one feminine.

Not an instant classic. Not a fail.

Quite a bit of agreement with moon_fish. The olfactory differentiation from existing Chanels, in combination with subtle but clear references to existing Chanels (especially Édition Blanche), is just about perfect, IMO. There is a bit of powdery citrus that says ÉB, but a bit of that Allure DNA that links all the modern Chanel masculines like guerlinade did for Guerlains. Very nice. Has just enough similarity to the Allure franchise for me to say it's a Chanel, but enough novelty to say it deserves its own name. Bravo to that.

Subtle, my single moderate spray to the arm never generated significant sillage, but it kept up something more than a skin scent for about two hours (my skin being generally rather kind to most fragrances). It is still detectable on the spray card 24 hours later, and on my skin maybe 12 hours later, although quite weak by that time. It has a pleasing persistence, without requiring an overload.

It's a pleasant fragrance. I can see why the reps were told to say that it's a cross between Platinum Egoiste and Allure Sport - but that is NOT what it is. That's merely the closest that you can triangulate it using two existing points in their lineup, and not going outside the lineup (I mean, there are no REAL fragrances but Chanel, true? ). The coumarinic and citric aspects, as well as certain fougère or fougère-like notes, make PE a reasonable comparison. I think these are the aromatic notes of the woody aromatic descriptor. I personally liked those "fougèrish" notes, and noticed them immediately. However, there are certain woody and marine aspects (I use the latter word with extreme caution) that make this totally unlike either PE or anything else in the lineup. These do not tamper with the Chanel olfactory lineage, but they do make it different enough to be the first "Bleu". Moving on from PE, the Allure Sport comparison is valid, because it has that "allurinade" that I mentioned before, but only a bit, at the same level as does (to my nose) the Sport.

Not as distinctive or as "out there" as Pour Monsieur Concentrée, but not as dated (sorry to those of us who love it, but let's admit the obvious). In the sense of novelty, it's about as much as ÉB, or possibly a touch more. I can certainly see why they gave it its own brand and didn't make it "Édition Bleu". A shade more subtle than ÉB, but more distinctive than Allure Homme Sport.

Not a home run with RBI like Eau Première, but I don't think that was necessary here. Neither is it an out. It's a stand-up double with a player now on third. Good solid effort, fitting in with the rest of the lineup, but not so classic that it needs to be in one's wardrobe. It's just a good, reputable Chanel that expands the options for Chanel lovers into fresh olfactory territory. I think this effort could be validly criticized in the same way that Turin criticized my dearly beloved Allure Homme Sport Cologne (1 star). Some may see it as uninspired, but there is a certain quality that is undeniable. As somebody said (might have been Sokkou), it may be a disappointment [to some], but it will be a disappointment of Chanel quality. Totally agreed.

In a sense, I feel like it's Chanel showing mainstream office frags how it can be done with Chanel style. In that sense, it picked a battle that some respected voices would think shouldn't be fought, and they may very well be right. I personally, welcome a Chanel in that space. If Grey Vetiver is the perfect fragrance for the gray suit in Tom Ford style, then this is the ultimate blue suit fragrance, Chanel style. Classy but not stiff. Modern but not trendy. Upscale but neither painfully formal nor painfully faux-downscale-hip-rich-kid-look-I'm-in-a-GQ-ad. Where Eau Première was both inspired art and calculated science like the first lunar landing (as in MUST NOT FAIL), this is less inspired, but equally calculated with less drama - more like a dicey space station repair that sets a technical standard nobody hears about. Hey, I'm a techie. I appreciate a new blue suit frag, although I will wear my CDG 2Man and Firefox T-shirt when I can get away with it.

PRO: It smells good, it smells like a Chanel, and it does not smell quite like any Chanel I've smelled before.

CON: It does not smell too good to be true, nor more Chanel than Chanel, nor better than any Chanel I've ever smelled before.

VERDICT: Low on trendy fashion, high on essential style, it does not transgress against the memory of Coco. Thus, it is blessed with a wave of the Redneck Torque Wrench of Style as a valid member of the Chanel lineup. You may want it in your wardrobe, but you may not. I remain undecided on its necessity, and look forward to a real sample wear.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    The bean counters must be in charge.
    Such is the tragedy of western and far eastern industry. Much of the brilliance is ignored or even actively stifled, for the sake of broader "acceptance".

The bean counters do not know love, they only know acceptance.
    Shame.

Not looking forward to trying this, especially after the thrashing it received by Octavian at the 1000fragrances blog..
    -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Not looking forward to trying this, especially after the thrashing it received by Octavian at the 1000fragrances blog..
    Try to approach it with an open mind. Octavian is entitled to his opinion, but I really think he harshed on the frag a bit much due to (quite rightly) unmet expectations. I almost wonder if his opinion has changed with some time and reflection. I'm not seeing Hugo or Axe here, honestly. I'm seeing a standard issue Chanel masculine.

RP, great review!

Thumbs up Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

WOW!!!! Great review Redneck ! It makes me feel like to buy a bottle!!!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    RP, great review!
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    WOW!!!! Great review Redneck ! It makes me feel like to buy a bottle!!!!
    Thanks, guys. I do think it's buyable - but sample first. Unlike Eau Première, which I would recommend buying blind with your food money, this one needs comparison with existing Chanels to make a decision. Édition Blanche is a strong contender for a buy, IMO, although they don't fall into exactly the same place. You have to follow your nose. ÉB is soft but stronger up front, BdC is quieter overall out of the gate but has interesting "new" notes, and may have greater longevity overall. I was still picking it up on the card after 48 hours, and it was quite pleasant. I think the drydown was carefully engineered, just like Eau Première.

There are some standout notes at the beginning which struck me as attractive, but left me undecided. Some are likely to say "meh". Others may buy it on the spot. I'm personally going back for further sampling, hopefully before the tester is depleted!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    actually I was hoping they would call it:

CHANEL ALLURE HOMME EDITION BLEU EAU DE TOILETTE CONCENTREE SPORT
    That will be coming out in 2014, as Bleu de Chanel flanker number three...

Thumbs up Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

I work the frag counters part time at a department store, I arrived today to find this sitting on the back shelf and got very excited! Walked over to the Chanel counter and although she knew of the release, she didn't know much about it, so off to my phone's browser I went. The notes didn't seem that impressive, but I eagerly sprayed it on me and was quite impressed! As others have said it is not like any of the Chanel frag's I know, and I can't add to Redneck's Great review, but I think this one is a keeper for me, but not sure how long of a keeper it will be just yet.

I was able to snag a very nice size atomizer and fill it up before I left work and look forward to wearing it out and about. To my nose it kinda smells like someone took the dark tone of JPG le male, the green leaf of JOOP!'s What about Adam and bit of the brightness of Prada Amber without the sweetness. Now, don't get me wrong, to me this is a GOOD thing

My nose may be better able to describe it in the next few days since it was a very long day today. I have been busy and am ashamed that I haven't been in the loop about new releases (this and Big Pony were both surprises to me) but I am so glad basenotes is there to catch me up

Would Bleu make a good unisex fragrance? I was reading one of my "girlie" magazines, Lucky, and it was recommended for women.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Would Bleu make a good unisex fragrance? I was reading one of my "girlie" magazines, Lucky, and it was recommended for women.
    Interesting! I, personally, think all Chanels are a bit girlie. The ever-present citrus and girlie powder are always friendly for women, IMO. Antaeus might be a bit guyish, but even Allure Homme could be quite foxy on a woman. I would place this as a bit more "masculine" than Édition Blanche, which I think is effectively unisex. Therefore, I would call it, at most, the masculine side of unisex. It is definitely more unisex than Eau Première. I know that the marketing for Bleu is pushing masculinity, but I personally think it's because the scent isn't all that macho, and they're fluffing up masculinity a bit.

I'll keep that question in mind next time I smell it - and I may try to track down that article, too. Thanks for the tip!

i'd really like a bottle of this stuff! is it being sold anywhere online?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Interesting! I, personally, think all Chanels are a bit girlie. The ever-present citrus and girlie powder are always friendly for women, IMO. Antaeus might be a bit guyish, but even Allure Homme could be quite foxy on a woman. I would place this as a bit more "masculine" than Édition Blanche, which I think is effectively unisex. Therefore, I would call it, at most, the masculine side of unisex. It is definitely more unisex than Eau Première. I know that the marketing for Bleu is pushing masculinity, but I personally think it's because the scent isn't all that macho, and they're fluffing up masculinity a bit.

I'll keep that question in mind next time I smell it - and I may try to track down that article, too. Thanks for the tip!
    Here's the article:

http://www.luckymag.com/beauty/close...bleu_de_chanel
    Evenstar

I sampled it yesterday and for lack of better words I found it loud and harsh. Sorta of like an aqautic on steroids. I surely would have never guessed this one as a Chanel. To me- it smelled like something I would expect to see at TJ Maxx really soon.

Sad news indeed.
    I have just reviewed Bleu de Chanel on the Sorcery of Scent blog, and summize that it is very lack-lustre.
    And for those anticipating a new scent that is not an Allure Homme flanker, then you too will be as disappointed as I. Bleu de Chanel does share common accords found in Allure.
    Thumbs down Msr Polge!

i cant wait to try it after so many things talking about... but in opinions we can read that bleu is a mix of aquatic? herbal? woody-spicy ?? is totally a bag of olfative families ??

I don`t know, even after the comparison with Edition Blanche I`m not interested with this Chanel. Edition Blanche is perfect for me and I wouldn`t want something similar. And even if I want something that goes on a similar direction of Edition Blanche I`d buy Lalique White. For a fresh take from Chanel I`d buy Cristalle Eau Verte, that had a delicious lemony herbal smell on my skin

Sur la Plage

Sounds like it is office friendly.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Once again, it looks like focus groups win. It will be a huge seller and that is what matters most.

When I want fragrant stimulation I go to luckyscent.com instead of a Macy's counter. I see no change in the near future.

I have had this on my arm now for 2 hours...I can't say it is horrible. It smells nice, and have no doubt it will do well. The bottle is very nice. It just doesn't wow me; I just don't think it is inspired or elegant at all.
    Chanel has dumbed this down to a demographic they never even had to go after in the first place. I smelled the Ralph Lauren Pony line at the same time and felt that this one could be the 5th Pony fragrance. That is not a slam...it is a statement about the generic, easy way out character of this offering.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche is the only Chanel I own and that isn't changing anytime soon I guess.
    As always, your mileage may vary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I have had this on my arm now for 2 hours...I can't say it is horrible. It smells nice, and have no doubt it will do well. The bottle is very nice. It just doesn't wow me; I just don't think it is inspired or elegant at all.
    Chanel has dumbed this down to a demographic they never even had to go after in the first place. I smelled the Ralph Lauren Pony line at the same time and felt that this one could be the 5th Pony fragrance. That is not a slam...it is a statement about the generic, easy way out character of this offering.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche is the only Chanel I own and that isn't changing anytime soon I guess.
    As always, your mileage may vary.
    ^Totally. I'm wearing Bleu for a second day today, two sprays this time. It smells good, but it's just not blowing me away. Édition Blanche and Eau Première are both more inspired and elegant. And I get you about the fifth pony. ALL of these seem to have potential, but they're just (a) weak and (b) commitment-phobic crowd pleasers. I pray they do the "Guerlain Homme" on this one and release an EDP and/or intense version. I'm almost positive I'd like it enough for a quick buy.

On the plus side, Bleu has excellent persistence, and holds its overall scent very nicely (I put my two forearm sprays through something of a torture test). Also, my wife had an immediate positive reaction. ÉB is stronger up front, but loses steam faster than Bleu. She thought Bleu smelled great after the sillage was pretty well gone.

And, I have to give Octavian some cred. I detected a rather pleasant note at about 45 minutes that I couldn't place at first.

Hugo Boss.

I am thinking that a full sample wear with 4 or 5 decent sprays will be needed for me to really decide if I'm "getting" it. It may grow on me.

Still, I must say that if you really want to be unexpected, layer this with no.5 Eau Première.

sounds allright i geuss........ ill just get the sport flnaker
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

The sport flanker's name=Bleu Balls.

My Birthday is August 30, and I believe this will be my pick from my wife. I'd pick Aventus, but I'd have to get a second mortgage.

Sur la Plage

I tried it. It's not bad, but it's certainly not good either - just more mediocrity for the masses. But that is what sells. However, they won't be getting any money from me on this.

As far as Chanel goes - I will stick with Antaeus and Egoiste/Egoiste Concentree, as well as the superior fragrances from their women's and Les Exclusifs lines.

Yeah, for some reason, I can dig what petruccijc thinks about this even though I haven't sampled it. I don't want to be judgmental about this considering I haven't sampled it but, I'm not hopeful. Instead, i have my sights on saving up for sycomore.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Yeah, for some reason, I can dig what petruccijc thinks about this even though I haven't sampled it. I don't want to be judgmental about this considering I haven't sampled it but, I'm not hopeful. Instead, i have my sights on saving up for sycomore.
    Well, personally, I would own Blue de Chanel before Sycomore. Blue de Chanel may smell generic and uninspired, but you will never be accused of smelly like a damp sour towel that has been used too many times between washings.

Sur la Plage

Well, personally, I would own Blue de Chanel before Sycomore. Blue de Chanel may smell generic and uninspired, but you will never be accused of smelly like a damp sour towel that has been used too many times between washings.
    One of my favorite smells!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    One of my favorite smells!
    Oh, I know what your favorite smell is. .............

TUBEROSE...see...ya'll have such dirty minds.

By the way.....ALOHA!!! Enjoy your trip immensely.

Oh, I know what your favorite smell is. .............

TUBEROSE...see...ya'll have such dirty minds.

By the way.....ALOHA!!! Enjoy your trip immensely.

So he gets Hawaii and I get Myrtle Beach? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    So he gets Hawaii and I get Myrtle Beach? Hmmm...
    Well he won the trip to Hawaii actually...It was a raffle drawing at the Clearwater, FL VFW right Joe?
    Who said bingo night out can't change your life!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    sounds allright i geuss........ ill just get the sport flnaker
    This is how I feel about Bleu relative to the Sport. To me, the Sport is truly anemic - so much so that the Sport Cologne seems preferable with its fuller commitment to the citrus. And Bleu has, for all its mainstream character, better projection, longevity, and (IMO) scent, than the Sport. Édition Blanche only beats out Bleu on scent itself and opening volume, in my perfumista opinion, though I would wager that a spreadsheet and a focus group (particularly women buyers) would favor Bleu.

If you're in the market for an Allure flanker or "modern" (cough) Chanel, don't write off Bleu. But if you must own a truly radical, unexpected, course-of-perfumery-changing masculine.... either buy EP or wait for whatever Bleu is going to pay for.

Oh I was just joking around with my post I do still wanna try it. I like trying all scents at least once!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Oh I was just joking around with my post I do still wanna try it. I like trying all scents at least once!
    K. Yeah, I shoulda known!

Sur la Plage

Well he won the trip to Hawaii actually...It was a raffle drawing at the Clearwater, FL VFW right Joe?
    Who said bingo night out can't change your life!
    I just hope they have an early bird luau.....

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I just hope they have an early bird luau.....
    That's when you bust out the speedo and flip-flops!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    That's when you bust out the speedo and flip-flops!
    Don't forget tube socks that go up to your knees with the flip-flops!

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Don't forget tube socks that go up to your knees with the flip-flops!
    LOL....I can see Joe with a huge sunhat with tuberose and gardenias piled high on top that he stole from the buffet table...and he is sipping on a drink poured into a real coconut shell and it has a giant swirly straw!
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 24th July 2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling

I have tried it today, in fact I still can smell it in both of my hands and two test papers. This is nothing new under the sky, forgettable and without any personality what so ever, it can be mistaken with a gazillion other modern fragrances. The opening has a strong "food" note like a sweet spice kicking in the background. There was a lady smelling it next to me and she literally said "smells like vomit"... I wont go that far but it has something that I have smelled before (Citrus Paradisi ¿?¿? )
    Overall it smells modern and casual with some elegance but I wont be buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    The opening has a strong "food" note like a sweet spice kicking in the background.
    Thats the same nutmeg note theyve used to death in all the Allure Homme flankers.
    Nauseating.

Oh well... Guess we'll just have to wait till 2020 or so...

that is correct the same note used in Allure flankers specially Edition Blanche.

I tried this today.....not good, not bad.....I will not purchase this that's for sure.
    Gary