Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Oh come on!!!
    So nobody could remember 28 La Pausa, Coromandel, #18, 31 Rue Cambon, Sycomore, etc?
    Or those are not relevant fragrances anymore?
    And they did not require any perfumer`s work whoever they were?

I believe that Les Exclusifs de Chanel is blessing and damned thing to Polge+Sheldrake.
    They just made the collection of so high level of exorbitant quality that truly outstands any luxury standards - so we began to expect SOMETHING MORE in usual Chanel`s luxury perfumes.
    False expectations.
    Luxe perfumes are luxe perfumes. They have a (definitely lower) budget. They have a (strict) brief. They have a (detalised and profit-oriented) marketing plan. And they have a lot of other people involved in perfume-creation process.
    I do not suppose that all of them aren`t as brilliant as Polge - they just pull in their own side. And the thing comes to grey-blue colour.
    And it`s not new - what, there`re no lovers/haters of previous luxe by Chanel: Egoiste, Egoiste Platinum, Allure, Pour Monsieur? Yes, there`re. Some loves, some hates, some cannot understand the hype, etc.
    Or maybe they are extra-original? Only for blinded by love fans of some scent.

So... sorry for my long text. thanks for your attention.
    Take the long story short: lets don`t expect much from any new scent. It pays.
    I'm not including Les Exclusifs as part of this discussion. What Chanel masculine (non exclusif) do you consider bottle worthy since Egoiste was released (1990)?

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I'm not including Les Exclusifs as part of this discussion. What Chanel masculine (non exclusif) do you consider bottle worthy since Egoiste was released (1990)?
    Why wouldn't you include the Les Exclusifs? I suspect that the male fragrance market is far more competitive than it was back in 1990, and for Chanel to maintain is relevance it must keep its name on the tip of consumers' tongues. It's mainstream range has become similar to that of Guerlain, simply means to pay the bills. I wouldn't expect much of anything released to the mainstream market in nowadays.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I smelled this today. What a cheap, synthetic, waste of resources this is. Its simply not needed in the fragrance world. Very disappointed indeed!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

The aftershave, watered down, makes my impression of it even worse.

I'll stick to Edition Blanche as my next likely buy for Chanel.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Why wouldn't you include the Les Exclusifs? I suspect that the male fragrance market is far more competitive than it was back in 1990, and for Chanel to maintain is relevance it must keep its name on the tip of consumers' tongues. It's mainstream range has become similar to that of Guerlain, simply means to pay the bills. I wouldn't expect much of anything released to the mainstream market in nowadays.
    I agree somewhat, but to be honest, I don't even know where the Chanel boutique is, and since Chanel only sell women's clothing, no guy would think of going in by themselves, and they'd probably consider them women's fragrances. So I'd consider that the Les Exclusifs line is essentially for women, even though it's not labeled as such.

I smelled this briefly on a test strip. I perceived the opening as a more expensive smelling alternative to Cool Water, incorporating Chanel's house-note. I still prefer Cool Water to this, but that's the first thing to come to mind. I'm not a big fan of Chanel to begin with, however I love Allure Sport Cologne Sport.

Blog Entries

I've been riding around with the test strip in the car, and if the strip is any indication, longevity shouldn't be an issue with this one. It has kept my car pretty fragrant for 2 days now.

I still need to go back and do a proper skin test. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, it went through a phase on the card (briefly) were I was reminded of something from A&F. The smell had changed when I got in the car this morning, and for most of today I've been trying to figure out what it reminds me of now. Then it hit me - DKNY Men (the new one).

Skin test in my future. Bottle worthy - IDK.

I wouldn't include the Les Exclusifs because i'm trying to make an apples to apples comparison. Comparing a mainstream fragrance marketed to men with $200 niche scents that aren't (are any Les Exclusifs marketed to men?) isn't an apples to apples comparison. What percentage of men even know what the Les Exclusifs are? As far as paying the bills is concerned, I'm sure when Antaeus & Egoiste were first released, they didn't have a problem paying the bills. You don't pay the bills by releasing "me too", you pay them by being better without charging an arm and a leg for it. I realize you can't make something like Antaeus today and expect it to be successful, but surely Chanel can do better than this, without charging me $200 for the privilege...

Blog Entries

I wouldn't include the Les Exclusifs because i'm trying to make an apples to apples comparison. Comparing a mainstream fragrance marketed to men with $200 niche scents that aren't (are any Les Exclusifs marketed to men?) isn't an apples to apples comparison. What percentage of men even know what the Les Exclusifs are? As far as paying the bills is concerned, I'm sure when Antaeus & Egoiste were first released, they didn't have a problem paying the bills. You don't pay the bills by releasing "me too", you pay them by being better without charging an arm and a leg for it. I realize you can't make something like Antaeus today and expect it to be successful, but surely Chanel can do better than this, without charging me $200 for the privilege...
    I agree with the idea that Les Exclusifs are relevant , but I also agree with your idea that Chanel could do better in their mainstream frags. Bleu is far from bad IMO, but it's just not WOW material, of which there are several in the mainline feminines, including some recent ones.

It's pretty clear that the brief was to make a "blue" frag and jump on the blue bandwagon - and it was almost certainly marketing-driven. Starting with the brief, Chanel could have done better. But given the likely HUGE constraints put upon the project, it's not all that bad.

A friend of mine and I agree that Aramis Cool Blend is much better than Bleu.

I want so much to expand my wardrobe with Chanel fragrance but so far I can't find anything that would justify its high price. And after reading this thread... my hopes are lost .
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I have and wear Egoiste, but also FB of Egoiste Platinum and Allure Homme by Chanel. All of them fit your question. And pre-Egoiste colognes, Pour Monsieur & Antaeus also.

And I would not exclude Les Exclusifs from the list.
    Partly being reasoned that it required some perfumer`s work.
    Partly because we`re Basenoters, and we are the group of well-informed people, devoted to perfumes & "spoiled" by reviews of each other, by reviews of C. Burr and L. Turin, by hellovalot of perfumebloggers which are sometimes pure geniuses of perfume history etc;
    we do know about Andy Tauer, Serge Lutens, Fr. Malle, Parfumerie Generale perfumes etc - and those are the brands that could not be easily found in Macy`s (US) or Sephora (France) or L`Etoile (Russia).
    we do remember all those vintages which were forgotten by masses - Djedi & Sous le Vent Guerlain, Genghis Khan by Morandiere, Vetiver Givenchy, Sagamore Lancome, and all those forgotten gems from the past.
    we are looking for the originality and innovation in perfumery - not just good smell, aren`t we?
    and how many people do you know from your neighbourhood - who looks for the same?
    NOONE near me!
    All my perfume-adviser experience in my city tells me - people likes to smell alike! Like friends, like colleagues, like relatives, etc. They are looking for something that will be approved by other. Not original, but safe. And I wear some original scents by Malle or Tauer without any good comments from others - they just does not know what is it? They does not have smth to compare with, or say "yammy smell"!
    Now, I`m sure they will like BdC. It will be commercial HIT this or next year.

But we BNoters make our estimation of Bleu de Chanel being more informed and dare I say - picky.
    I`m not going to say - BdC is the perfect pinnacle of 2010 perfumery, but it`s worth its money.
    And I`ll look forward for other scents too. Yes, for innovation & originality. And I hope next year Chanel will launch some perfume in Les Exclusifs collection.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yes, there is this point in the beginning that I find REALLY interesting - but it fades out with the topnotes. Just GONE. If they could bottle and freeze-frame that in an intense version, no matter how linear, it would be most awesome.
    Me and you have the same wishes of linear everlasting "points in development"..........the singularity is near. let's just hope we can team with turin's resonant-vibration-olfactory-synonym-software and non-toxic-extreme-volatility-modifiers to highlight every greatest peak in the greatest frags O.A.T.......and even some peaks of the lessers.........

.......in the.....

So far, Chanel Bleu will be my birthday scent gift at the end of August. I always get a scent, and this is the current leader. Maybe I should consider a 1 OZ of Aventus?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    So far, Chanel Bleu will be my birthday scent gift at the end of August. I always get a scent, and this is the current leader. Maybe I should consider a 1 OZ of Aventus?
    it sounds like you could get more BANG for your buck. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    it sounds like you could get more BANG for your buck. :-)
    Is that you, Marc? LOL!

When is it available in the States??? It's available August 16 in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Picasso View Post
    When is it available in the States??? It's available August 16 in Canada.
    My Macys SA says they will receive it Aug. 16 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    My Macys SA says they will receive it Aug. 16 as well.
    When I was at Macy's three days ago, I saw them unboxing it from their shipment.

Must be a nationwide launch then... from what I could see, there wasn't an initial exclusive.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

In Russia it will be available from 15th August. Waiting with a 1% of hope.

But another point I was trying to make was that when Antaeus and Egoiste were released the masculine fragrance market were likely much smaller. Now when Chanel releases a scent, the name alone will only get them so far, they must compete with a far more crowded counter of fragrances. I don't think in the current market and economy, releasing something truly experimental or even avante garde would prove to be a wise business decision.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

My question is... Why are they releasing and aquatic now? Summer is coming to a close.

When I think of the more "avant garde" scents that have been released lately, Zihr Ikon and Mugler B-Men come to mind, and truthfully, they did not sell very well. It is a risky business to release scents without almost universal appeal, especially in the current economy.

I don't think in the current market and economy, releasing something truly experimental or even avante garde would prove to be a wise business decision.
    In general I agree with this, though Dior Homme is pretty avante garde, (for a masculine) and that is doing pretty well. It's one thing to release something experimental or avante garde, it's quite another to come out with something that is appealing to the masses, yet interesting enough for the critics. That's where I'm finding fault with Chanel's recent mainstream masculines...

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    My question is... Why are they releasing and aquatic now? Summer is coming to a close.
    Because in fall and December much more perfumes are being sold. And they don't name it aquatic.

Sniffed it again today. . . sorry, just not too impressed. . . it might grow on me, but I'm not seeing it yet. . .

I'm no fragance guru or expert, and i can say that this new chanel is just an epic fail. No comparision with allure, egoiste, platinum, etc... it smelled cheap, weird, not elegant, not interesting.

Not worth the price. It could get by as some Hugo Boss on a bad day frag.

I got to test this today in the mall. Nothing really spectacular. Just another aquatic scent out there. Not really looking forward to getting a full bottle of this one.

Nordstrom's decanted a large sample for me yesterday and, so far, all I can say is B-O-R-I-N-G.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Blog Entries

Went back to Macy's and sprayed some on from the tester yesterday. It really isn't much different on the skin that it was on the card. I'm still indecisive on whether I really like it or not. I personally don't think it smells bad, though some on this thread do. It just isn't anything special. Nothing that would make me drop the money on a bottle. That said, I would probably buy a decant if I find someone selling them in the future.

I posted earlier that it reminded me of the new DKNY Men. Don't get me wrong, they don't smell exactly the same, but my verdict would be that Bleu slightly more sophisticated version of DKNY Men. I have a decant of DKNY that I like (also not bottle worthy), and I slightly prefer Bleu.

I'm looking forward to trying this as soon as see a tester. What I am wondering is whether those of you who have tried it think you would recognize it if you smelled it on someone else? Often, sniffing / testing a scent up-close will give a significantly different effect / impression than smelling it from a distance.

Blog Entries

^ I think I would recognize it as Chanel - absolutely. And if I caught one of the "new" notes, I might even pick it for Bleu. However, the most likely thing would be that I would recognize it as something in the Allure family.

Basenotes Institution

I tried this today and on my husband - it's okay -ish . Nothing spectacular.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

But another point I was trying to make was that when Antaeus and Egoiste were released the masculine fragrance market were likely much smaller. Now when Chanel releases a scent, the name alone will only get them so far, they must compete with a far more crowded counter of fragrances. I don't think in the current market and economy, releasing something truly experimental or even avante garde would prove to be a wise business decision.
    Agreed - a child of the 80's the men's market is much more saturated then back in the 70' and 80's. The companies markets are now global so a scent needs to be marketed to appeal to all - the quo is light fresh and not overbearing.

a weak fragrance ..looking like the new "Kenzo pour homme boisé"

My Macy's had them out for sale today.

Blog Entries

My Macy's had them out for sale today.
    Forgot to mention that. My Macy's did too yesterday when I hit up the tester. I do have to admit there is something in the base that, though pretty ordinary, I really like. I still have mixed feelings on the top and heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Makassar View Post
    a weak fragrance ..looking like the new "Kenzo pour homme boisé"
    Do you mean weak as not strong enough? or weak as not good enough?

I think the sillage is pretty strong on this one.
    Evenstar

Yep. I'll have to get it. August 30 (my birthday) it's mine.

Yep. I'll have to get it. August 30 (my birthday) it's mine.
    Aug. 9th (my birthday) it's mine too!!! I'm heading to Macy's!

Here is what the Chanel website says about it:

"A new, woody aromatic fragrance for the man who defies convention, and resists the ordinary every day, finding satisfaction in the unexpected. His fragrance, a provocative blend of citrus and woods, liberates the senses — fresh, clean, profoundly sensual — a signature statement of determination and desire. Be unexpected."

Sur la Plage

I remember a thread about "What is the most mediocre fragrance". I think Bleu de Chanel deserves a nomination.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post

"A new, woody aromatic fragrance for the man who defies convention, and resists the ordinary every day, finding satisfaction in the unexpected. His fragrance, a provocative blend of citrus and woods, liberates the senses — fresh, clean, profoundly sensual — a signature statement of determination and desire. Be unexpected."
    Hmmm. Now that I think about it, for a bunch of crazy male perfumistas who crave the unusual, the anti-commercial, the counter-gendered, and the out-of-date extraordinaire, Bleu de Chanel, being so expectable, IS a bit unexpected. I may join KMF in buying this to spite the counter-culture and be more unexpected than unexpected.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 8th August 2010 at 04:31 PM.

Its nothing to do with culture notions. To me, its just a weak, mediocre fragrance with nothing special about it. It unoffensive but, its so synthetic that the myriad of notes bleed into one watered down smell. Perhaps I need another skin test because yes, I'm being harsh. I've been shopping with two females. I didn't like it, they didn't like it, etc. Their reaction was, hmmmm, its ok but, I wouldn't buy a bottle. I feel the same way. Kinda ho hum. To be fair, I will test it again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    ... To be fair, I will test it again.
    I probably will as well. I'm wearing Allure Edition Blanche today (one of my favorites), and found myself actually wanting to smell Bleu again.

I've been wondering if we have another Versace Pour Homme in the making. If I remember correctly it was bashed around here too for being too ordinary when it first came out. But it also, after it had been out a while, developed a bit of a cult following.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Its nothing to do with culture notions. To me, its just a weak, mediocre fragrance with nothing special about it. It unoffensive but, its so synthetic that the myriad of notes bleed into one watered down smell. Perhaps I need another skin test because yes, I'm being harsh. I've been shopping with two females. I didn't like it, they didn't like it, etc. Their reaction was, hmmmm, its ok but, I wouldn't buy a bottle. I feel the same way. Kinda ho hum. To be fair, I will test it again.
    I've bolded the parts that are the same for me. The part about the notes bleeding into a watered-down smell - that is exactly the reason I'm having a hard time loving it. PERHAPS this changes with time, but I've tested it about three times on skin now, and I have yet to find details in the heart that beg for any kind of fondness. The last thing that evaded olfactory focus as much as this was Sean John's I Am King. Even that seemed to have a novel heart - at least to me - but every bit as opaque. Am I too addicted to transparency? I don't know. At some point, if my brain can find something to grab or put in focus, then maybe. But it ain't happening.

I will definately test it again. I am currently on the fence with the new Nautica Pure. Its such a smooth, addicting smell. It kinda reminds me of Jivago Millennium which has long since been discontinued but a fragrance that I miss. I don't know whether to like it or not. I definately don't like the new lacoste essential sport. The aquatic aspect makes me feel ill.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post

Due to the conventional nature of this scent, I find their description hilarious. Yes, this scent is unexpected for Chanel, as as so many here have said, that's not a good thing.

And yes, to the member who said this smelled like Cool Water, I totally agree. And I haven't smelled Cool water since high school (the late 80s.) That's just one more indicator of how generic this scent is. I smelled it today at Saks and struggled to find anything good to say about it. Very disappointing.

Finally, seems like the ladies like the smell of this one. So I would like to ask the guys something, would you wear a generic scent like this that you didn't really love if it meant that women would be drawn to you? My answer - no way, Jose. I'll save my dough for my next bottle of Egoiste.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George P View Post
    So I would like to ask the guys something, would you wear a generic scent like this that you didn't really love if it meant that women would be drawn to you? My answer - no way, Jose. I'll save my dough for my next bottle of Egoiste.
    I have a good stock of scents that both my wife and I love. There are quite enough scents out there that we both like that I've never felt like buying something JUST for her. Now I will admit that she has bought me a few things when I was on the fence and she wasn't. So if she bought me Bleu - yeah, I'd keep it. It's like a back-up bottle of Édition Blanche. But I wouldn't wear something that I hated for her, and she would never ask. And that works both ways.

I agree - save your money for Égoïste. I'll be saving for Antaeus, Égoïste, or one of Les Exclusifs. Unless Bleu magically starts turning me on somehow, I'm just not feeling the love.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    Went back to Macy's and sprayed some on from the tester yesterday. It really isn't much different on the skin that it was on the card. I'm still indecisive on whether I really like it or not. I personally don't think it smells bad, though some on this thread do. It just isn't anything special. Nothing that would make me drop the money on a bottle. That said, I would probably buy a decant if I find someone selling them in the future.

I posted earlier that it reminded me of the new DKNY Men. Don't get me wrong, they don't smell exactly the same, but my verdict would be that Bleu slightly more sophisticated version of DKNY Men. I have a decant of DKNY that I like (also not bottle worthy), and I slightly prefer Bleu.
    Agree 100%. Smells a lot like DKNY Men.
    I tried it today at Macy's. It's pleasant, but it's still lame and ordinary. It also reminded me of Only The Brave. Not so much the smell, but the synthetic nothingness they both share.

EDIT: I'm starting to like the dry-down more and more as I wear it.
    Last edited by MassMenace; 10th August 2010 at 05:24 PM.

Got some samples today , not really impressed by , there is no originality to it , no twist to make it stand out from the crowd. Smells like a hundred other fragrances , love Chanel but this is a big let down , maybe wait for the Bleu Noir de Chanel in a couple of years.........

EDIT: I'm starting to like the dry-down more and more as I wear it.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly my experience. Ordinary for the first 30 minutes, then it gets good.

I tested this just today, and so far I am liking it, but not just yet loving it. I does smell a bit like a pared down version of Allure Edition Blanche sans powdery notes, and yet what can't escape me is that it reminds me a lot of Gucci by Gucci Sport, though much more smoother in its texture and sharper. I smell oakmoss in the scent too, which really gives off a classic soapy cologne vibe with some spiciness to it. AND THERE WE HAVE IT--a mellow Gucci by Gucci Sport clone. Not a bad thing, I think this is geared for those in their 30s on up.

There's been appearances already of samples and bottles on CheapBay. I managed to snag a 50ml bottle for below the retail price so I'm rather happy right now anticipating its arrival!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

tested this on a test strip today. it was good. not amazing. not something that i will fall in love with or something

With great anticipation - I am finding a rather vague resembance to the much anticipated YSL L'Homme. Nothing in the realm of the actual similarity of fragrance, but the anticipation of greatness. Maybe it will become a sleeper like YSL L'Homme.
    Last edited by Michael Picasso; 11th August 2010 at 02:50 PM.

I was at lord and taylor today with a buddy his gf and two of her female friends shopping for a present for a mutual friend.
    As we passed the men fragrance counter we were offered to smell the new chanel (and the big ponys)

The girls absolutely loved it. I thought it was really good as well, considering what it is up against in the mainstream market. It isnt very original, but its does its job very well. It is like the new Mercedes C-Series. Its nothing ground breaking, but it works and it works very well, and arguably better then the competition.

Its clean refreshing smell, it reminded me Chic for men mixed with The One. Its a very likable scent, that can be worn everywhere and at any season.

Is it that good? absolutely not.
    To be honest my friend pointed out right away that it smells exactly like L'oreal Vive Pro shampoo for men, and you know what...it actually does.

It is not ground breaking and it doesn't stand out as unique to me, but what it does is take simple things from many successful mainstream fragrance and combine it well. I can find similarities to La Nuit De L'homme, The One, Code, ADG, and also to most aquatics in general. It isnt exactly the same as them, but it does share some qualities.

The girls absolutely love it, and honestly thats what really matters at the end of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    The girls absolutely love it, and honestly thats what really matters at the end of the day
    I would be very sad if my fragrance choice depended on whether the girls like it.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    I would be very sad if my fragrance choice depended on whether the girls like it.
    I mean to say there that in the world of mainstream frag's and its shoppers the opinion people get from girls is what matters

Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    To be honest my friend pointed out right away that it smells exactly like L'oreal Vive Pro shampoo for men, and you know what...it actually does.
    Comment of the day! LOL!!

The question is which girls love it? Are we talking 18 year olds or thirty somethings? Depending on the age of the man, this can make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by George P View Post
    The question is which girls love it? Are we talking 18 year olds or thirty somethings? Depending on the age of the man, this can make a big difference.
    Yes it does and their input is valid