Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

I had really high hopes for this one, so I managed to get a sample this morning.....three sprays to the back of my hand, and......well, is that it? Is that what all the fuss has been about? So yes, it's another 'safe' money earner for the company, but after sampling Aventus, I know where I'll be spending my hard earned!!
    Come on Chanel, it's time for another Egoiste or Antaeus, instead of this generic offering that could have been so much more!.....the wait continues!!!

Wink Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

There is absolutely nothing I don't love about this Bleu de Chanel. Absolutely nothing. Although not a radical departure from others out there, as has been reported, it still remains unique.

The opening is fresh and totally bracing with a strong support from mint and grapefruit and a slight orange blossom smell. It's not aquatic but a warm sunny citrus I find, not unreminiscent of Ricci's Mémoire d'Homme with its frosted nutmeg note, for those of you who remember that beauty. The transition leads to a slightly soapy, spicy heart that bears a resemblance to a certain aspect of Viktor & Rolf's Antidote, with its floral jasmine note. That's nice and a bit quirky at the same time. I can also pick out an incensy note coupled with dry patchouli, discreet though. The vetyver also sometimes peeps through, a tad acrid like Encre Noire, but more subtle.

Ah, but what a drydown! It is heavenly, spectacular, enveloping. Like a comforting blanket, an inviting skin scent that reeks of sensuality. Not overdone at all though. There's a deep tonka powdery note, a smell similar to toasted rice or warm bread, yet dry with a hint of cedar and a lingering patch and incense that transcend the fragrance from its heart to its base.

It's been available since the morning of August 2nd here in Canada, at certain La Baie stores, and the 100 ml was mine after two separate in-store samplings. So after almost two full weeks of wear, I think I'm in love.

Fellow BNoters, I can only surmise that Jacques Polge, the celebrity nose behind it and one of the greatest perfumers of modern day, created this glorious alchemy of a fragrance respectfully, meticulously and knowledgeably. It is a DEFINITE CUT ABOVE so many other reportedly similar fragrances.

Please give it a full wearing, two or three times, and I'm sure you'll be hooked as I am (a good thing?). Trust me, I tend to be VERY (maybe TOO) discriminating when it comes to fragrance!

One of the nicest go-to's I own and will continue to reach for until the next apocalypse.
    Last edited by mariodefior; 13th August 2010 at 05:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by mariodefior View Post
    There is absolutely nothing I don't love about this Bleu de Chanel. Absolutely nothing. Although not a radical departure from others out there, as has been reported, it still remains unique.

Yes, those early reports of radical novelty had me worried, too. I wasn't sure if the novelty was as great as Lonestar Memories, which I have difficulty wearing in settings calling for a "blue" fragrance. It sounds like it's still unique, yet somewhere in "wearable". Whew! A close call!

The opening is fresh and totally bracing with a strong support from mint and grapefruit and a slight orange blossom smell. It's not aquatic but a warm sunny citrus I find, not unreminiscent of Ricci's Mémoire d'Homme with its frosted nutmeg note, for those of you who remember that beauty. The transition leads to a slightly soapy, spicy heart that bears a resemblance to a certain aspect of Viktor & Rolf's Antidote, with its floral jasmine note. That's nice and a bit quirky at the same time. I can also pick out an incensy note coupled with dry patchouli, discreet though. The vetyver also sometimes peeps through, a tad acrid like Encre Noire, but more subtle.

Ah, but what a drydown! It is heavenly, spectacular, enveloping. Like a comforting blanket, an inviting skin scent that reeks of sensuality. Not overdone at all though. There's a deep tonka powdery note, a smell similar to toasted rice or warm bread, yet dry with a hint of cedar and a lingering patch and incense that transcend the fragrance from its heart to its base.

It's been available since the morning of August 2nd here in Canada, at certain La Baie stores, and the 100 ml was mine after two separate in-store samplings. So after almost two full weeks of wear, I think I'm in love.

Fellow BNoters, I can only surmise that Jacques Polge, the celebrity nose behind it and one of the greatest perfumers of modern day, created this glorious alchemy of a fragrance respectfully, meticulously and knowledgeably. It is a DEFINITE CUT ABOVE so many other reportedly similar fragrances.

Please give it a full wearing, two or three times, and I'm sure you'll be hooked as I am (a good thing?). Trust me, I tend to be VERY (maybe TOO) discriminating when it comes to fragrance!

One of the nicest go-to's I own and will continue to reach for until the next apocalypse.
    Such an enticing testimonial! Thanks for sharing with the site. Have to say, you're talking me into it. . .

Are you related to Mr. Polge? Do you work undercover for Chanel?

What exactly is that Chanel house note? It's in all the Allure line/ Chanel Chance/Coco. Very beguiling. It's in the hand of Polge. I love it!!! What is that note??? Amazing!!!

After reading this thread over the past few weeks, I was dying to try this myself to see if it was really as generic as the reports suggested. Alas, they were all spot-on. It's astonishingly banal. If this was a generic no-name brand, I wouldn't give it a second sniff.

Default Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

Tried this tonight at Nordstroms. I don't understand the mainstream, vanilla, boooooooring (yawn) generic 'designer' mediocrity that is being released these days. Another pedestrian woody aromatic. It really is disappointing. Chanel Bleu de Chanel smells like a half dozen others. Grr! On second thought Grrrrrr!

Thank God for LuckyScent, TPC, Aedes and all the other sites that have different, original and niche things to try.

OK so here are my two cents on this fragance :

Today i tested it at the mall

SOOOO...........CHANEL BLEU SMELLS TO ME LIKE

Hawaiian punch .

actually it did remind me of hawaiian punch , but mostly it remind me of the old Hi C that i used to drink in the 80s...

actually there was one special edition from the ghostbusters that is was green ( supposed to be slime ) but tasted

like fruit punch...that is what this cologne smells in the beggining....

then in the drydown i can sense some similarities to Egoiste Platinum minus the metallic edge , cuz is more woody

but sweet

is it good? to me it is..is really a nice cologne and it does have the chanel note ( same one i smell on allure )
    is it fabulous ? no...is mainstream nothing new here

a definite buy ? mmm...perhaps..the thing is that this DOES smell like million of other perfumes ( specially 1 million

by PR or Ultrared ) but in the end you can smell the high end on this one...it is mainstream but is ... more elegant ..

worth the price? well only if you are buying for the name...as i said this one smells like many others out there , and

if you are a casual fragance user ..yes buy it is good! but if youre a basenoter like me well ...you think twice , cuz for

the price ...it falls short on the thrills....

will i buy it ? yes ...maybe it will be one of my christmas gifts i give myself every year..

so hope this review helps you ...

Default Re: Chanel Bleu de Chanel (the mediocrity continues)

I finally tried it and it is really banal, banal and LOUD!

Agree with the comments so far. The SA assured me this would be the "next big thing" and I thought... yawn.
    Punchy, semi-sweet, "fresh" -- puh-leese.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Pablo, did you find it in a mall in mexico city??

A Big let down for me too!!! I expected more.....I mean much, much more!!!
    Gary

Finally tried this today. Smells like a slightly more expensive Eternity for Men, which in itself isn't a bad thing at all. Groundbreaking it isn't, but based on the negativity in this thread I was expecting Bleu to be terrible (or at least dull as dishwater), and was suprised to not mind it at all. Casual fragrance fans (ie. males and their wives/girlfriends who buy scents for them) could do a lot worse, and the price is rather friendly for a Chanel.

I tried this today on my arm. My verdict ? I would never recommend this scent to anyone. I don't like it. It does not smell bad per se, but it lacks any kind of "zip" or attraction to its smell. The opening reminds me of Lanvin Arpege pour Homme, they surely share a common note or 2. But I feel Arpege pour Homme, a scent I rate at 3 stars, is soo much better than Bleu. Arpege PH has a lot more going on. Bleu doesn't becomme as powdery as Arpege, which is good ( that is the Lanvin's downfall, IMO). But Bleu just becomes a nondescript sweet light woodsy accord.

Many better releases for men by designer houses are out there.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Sprayed it a couple of times at the counter today. First impressions were a typical citrus-spicy sports fragrance sitting on top of the milky-vanilly Allure Homme base. To call it one of J. Polge's greatest creations would be an insult to the Chanel perfumer..
    -

P a t h e t i c

Final Verdict: There's nothing to dislike about it BUT there's nothing to love about it either.

Ok, so now I too have tried this.

Verdict?

What an average fragrance!

Starts off like the illegitimate son of Platinum Egoiste and then fails to redeem itself thereafter.

I tried it in a local Debenhams department store - where coincidentally they also had the new Davidoff Champion, the one that's shaped like a dumbell.

And my, don't they smell similar!!! Similar openings, similar drydowns, similar response from me. Meh.

Chanel have truly given up on trying with the male market. They have sold out and gone for the politics of mediocrity, producing a safe scent for the unwashed masses.

Watch for the plethora of flankers which will follow, Bleu Sport, Bleu Noir and Bleu Edition Blanche.

Very disappointing.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by omniray View Post
    Pablo, did you find it in a mall in mexico city??

no , actually i live in the border of mexico with the usa... i tested it on the mall on brownsville , texas

Angry Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

This afternoon I walked through te centre of Amsterdam.The Bleu de Chanel is everywhere!The introduction of this new release is stunning,you cannot miss it!! The problem is that I almost smelled nothing when I tried it,its a sort of very light Gucci PH11,wich has no legs,but this one has no arms too! This must be a joke,a Chanel with no smell !!

Yeah, the advertising is MASSIVE here in Dublin too.

Shame about the fragrance, or lack thereof. It definitely smells like a standard men's deodorant to me.

Got a compliment wearing this yesterday from my cousin 3 hours after applying 3 sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post
    Got a compliment wearing this yesterday from my cousin 3 hours after applying 3 sprays.
    Interesting! I didn't think it would be a "compliment getter" type of fragrance.

agreed with most of the 'generic' descriptions, as I got a sample myself this afternoon. I sorta felt a little bad from the sales rep being very excited to get me a sample, then to watch my reaction to the scent after spraying.
    Many other scents I'd rather spend my money on before this one. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    Interesting! I didn't think it would be a "compliment getter" type of fragrance.
    I think it is definitely a "compliment getter" fragrance, from people that are not as knowledgeable about perfumes as the Basenotes gentlemen.

I think of it as another Aqua di Gio in terms of popularity, most Basenoters don't like it, but other people do.

Both my husband and I have received compliments while wearing our sample of Bleu. However, I don't think it is full bottle worthy for us, although I would accept it gladly if somebody gave it to me as a gift.
    Evenstar

I tested this today at Nordstrom. They're selling it on a pre-order basis (if that's redudant, sorry; I didn't read all 5 pages of this thread.) I didn't think it was a bad scent at all. It's alot like Allure Homme Sport, but with more of an aquatic vibe. This is not my type of fragrance, I don't feel the need to buy it. But, for someone who enjoys aquatics and doesn't already have alot of them in his/her collection, it would be a nice choice.

After wearing it for about an hour, a SA in L'Occitane told me I smelled great. Alas, I already own too many aquatics--and hardly ever wear them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I think it is definitely a "compliment getter" fragrance, from people that are not as knowledgeable about perfumes as the Basenotes gentlemen.

I think of it as another Aqua di Gio in terms of popularity, most Basenoters don't like it, but other people do.

Both my husband and I have received compliments while wearing our sample of Bleu. However, I don't think it is full bottle worthy for us, although I would accept it gladly if somebody gave it to me as a gift.
    Precisely. I agree completely.

It's not a bad fragrance. It's just a rehash of decent stuff that has worked for Chanel in the past - except perhaps shifted a bit toward OTHER PEOPLE'S mainstream scents (thus the "Boss" jabs).

It's all perspective. From our perspective, behind the orchestra, Bleu is laughably expected. But in a water-world where Acqua di Gio reigns supreme, for the wearer of everybody else's aquatics, mixing in Chanel's trademark Allure stuff actually does give you something which is a bit unexpected.

Personally, if I was wearing the same thing every day, then better Bleu de Chanel than Acqua di Gio.

I didn't expect more than this at all. When I see something called "Blue" or "Bleu", my expectations sink like a rock.

I agree that it's unoriginal and not my style, but I actually kind of liked it, surprisingly. Probably not something I would wear, but not as bad as I expected.

so it's about 60 USdollars the 50 ml bottle yeah?

Then i could get about 5 bottles on sale of Blue Seduction by Antonio Banderas and that's about the same scent as Chanel's!!

That would be the cherry on top of the Scent Blue Abuse Sundae.

Tried it again today. I must say it is a step above its competitors in the aquatic / fresh genre, especially in the drydown. Is that a touch of anise I'm getting? Better the second time around. I like it, but I'm still not wowed by it. It is a quality fragrance, though. I might pick up a bottle at some point.

terribly boring and dull..... amazing Chanel released such a mediocre and forgettable fragrance.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Grr! On second thought Grrrrrr!
    LOL ... hilarious!

I still haven't sniffed Bleu.

Lady nose poking in here: just sniffed it on my lunch hour. Handsome bottle; juice is utterly dull. First thought was: This smells just like something else. If it weren't so boring, I'd summon the energy to try and think what that scent might be. But I can't bothered.

Says it all, really.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

No, Chanel, no. The most boring scent of the year.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

I guess Allure Homme Sport now loses its place as Chanel's most boring fragrance. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I guess Allure Homme Sport now loses its place as Chanel's most boring fragrance. ;-)
    Comparing to THIS, AHS is a masterpiece

No, Chanel, no! I was waiting for everything, but not for this. Bleu de Chanel presents synthetic type of freshness, in this way it is comparable to Diesel Only the Brave, for example. But if the Diesel has its individuality, Chanel - doesn't have. I was trying to remember, what fragrance Bleu de Chanel reminds me... Finnally, I've understood that the beginning of Bleu is the full copy of Axe deodorant spray in a green bottle, that I used some time ago. Then the Chanel becomes woodier and more elegant, maybe, but... Nevertheless it is the scent of Lacoste quality, it is NOT Chanel... I can't believe. Such a shame!..

Basenotes Institution

It is a boring fragrance and I did not think the bottle was that great. Chanel has done better........
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Is it on the same par with Allure Edition Blanche? I loved the latter.

Blog Entries

When the magnetic cap is the most novel aspect of the fragrance.....

....and even that was apparently poached from Les Exclusifs.

At least in Marc Jacobs Bang, it was the FRAGRANCE that got stolen from niche.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Honestly, it's like somebody watered down Blanche with a better aquatic. If you like Blanche AND mainstream aquatics, you may find this acceptable. But it's not as distinctive as Blanche. Stylistically, I think they were looking at mainstreaming Blanche.

One stroke over the par of Blanche, two if you hate aquatics or mainstream cookie-cutter scents.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    For what it's worth, Blanche is one of my favorite frags. I had low expectations for it, having not liked Allure or Allure Homme Sport, but it was love at first smell. I have even grown to enjoy it more, the more I have worn it.

That said, I had high expectations for Bleu, and it failed to live up to them. It's not bad by any means, and if you like Blanche you should definitely try it. While I had to have a full bottle of Blanche, I'm not there yet with Bleu. I am going to be on the lookout for someone selling decants, though. I do have this feeling that it may be one that could grow on me if I got to wear it more.

Has anyone seen the video advert for this yet ,as today is the launch date thought it might be out somewhere. It could be the most interesting thing about the fragrance together with the great bottle !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Has anyone seen the video advert for this yet ,as today is the launch date thought it might be out somewhere. It could be the most interesting thing about the fragrance together with the great bottle !
    Can't find the video yet, but here are some stills...

http://gaspardulliel.net/photos/index.php?cat=46

Call me crazy but I liked it. I've yet to find a real aquatic-like fragrance that pushes my buttons like this one does. Nothing revolutionary. Just a pleasantly nice fragrance to wear when I'm not in the mood to wear anything else.

Just bought a bottle. I like the bottle. I like the little magnet on the cap. No, nothing revolutionary, but very attractive. I'm not a fan of aquatics, so I was disappointed when I heard about what the fragrance concept was supposed to be. But it turns out that I actually like it. The scent, also not revolutionary, is much stronger than I expected. The mid notes and dry down seem to be a bit richer and more woodsy that I was expecting. So far, I'm happy with it. I'll have to spend a week or so with it to know my true feelings about it. But so far so good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Just bought a bottle. I like the bottle. I like the little magnet on the cap. No, nothing revolutionary, but very attractive. I'm not a fan of aquatics, so I was disappointed when I heard about what the fragrance concept was supposed to be. But it turns out that I actually like it. The scent, also not revolutionary, is much stronger than I expected. The mid notes and dry down seem to be a bit richer and more woodsy that I was expecting. So far, I'm happy with it. I'll have to spend a week or so with it to know my true feelings about it. But so far so good.
    Glad you like it - your experience is what I had hoped for. I found it interesting that you thought it was stronger than you expected, with a rich and woody middle. This makes me think that I'm anosmic to some important component. I really do not get enough wood - the middle is particularly lacking for me, and the only part that's rich for me is the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Personally, if I was wearing the same thing every day, then better Bleu de Chanel than Acqua di Gio.
    Har har. Not setting the bar too high there, are we?

Welcome back! We've missed your informed opinions!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Har har. Not setting the bar too high there, are we?
    LOL!

No, I guess not. Well, I don't know. I really wanted to love this one, and I'm just having trouble dealing with the disappointment. Trying to say SOMETHING positive, I guess....

I was going to say earlier that this fragrance couldn't get a sympathy date with Chanel no.5 Eau Première. But I suppose it may eventually get a sympathy buy from me - if I can ever get my nose to pick up the bloody woody amber that's flying under my olfactory radar.

There are several fragrances which I fell in love with, once I could detect something I was temporarily anosmic to. Tokyo by Kenzo - I couldn't smell guaiac wood, but once I did, it turned powerhouse on me. D&G the one For Men - same story. Some important component wouldn't come through, and the fragrance really disappointed me, until my nose got trained, and then I loved it. Polo Explorer - the woody amber there was a total waste on me for about half a year. Then all of a sudden, I was getting the frag in a big way. I am HOPING that's the case here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Then all of a sudden, I was getting the frag in a big way. I am HOPING that's the case here as well.
    Hope springs eternal. I know exactly what you're saying here. I love the idea of this one. The packaging is cool. Even like the ad campaign. First sample was kind of blah, though. I, too, am hoping that maybe I missed something. You're very right about that.

Welcome back!!!!!
    Evenstar

I was looking forward to this frag like everyone else. Today, when I was passing a perfume store here in Moscow I saw huge posters advertising Bleu. I dropped in immediately with great anticipation. I thought it would be maybe not a spectacular fragrance, but at least something very very pleasant, like all the previous of Chanel's for men. When I grabbed the bottle I thought - wow. The design of the bottle is beautiful and simple. Dark and heavy glass - love it.
    All of those good feelings were gone after the first spray. I could not believe it. I am not a pro when it comes to testing frags at all, I'm just a regular guy who shows some interest in frags, but this new release is... it's not a new release at all. Why did they do it? Aren't they ashamed? I would be interested in getting Chanel's Bleu if it smelled something new and original, but it smelled so familiar to me. It's like I've known this smell for years. I can not identify what it smells like but I'm 100% sure that there is an identical fragrance.
    $120 for that? Are they NUTS?
    I remember I did not care about the money after Dior released its marvelous Dior Homme. But with this one...
    It was a very quick goodbye for me.

I shall pretty much echo everything that has already been said , its a very safe typical generic designer fragrance BUT It is very well done and very likeable possible future purchase

I bought a bottle with the idea that this will replace my decade love of Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme as my default go-to scent on days I can't make up my mind.

Safe? Yes.
    Compelling? No.
    Smells good? Yes.
    Goes well with my body chemistry? Hell yes.
    Inoffensive? Yes.
    Different than anything else out there? No.

But for some reason, it will probably be in my collection for the next ten years. It's not bad, it's classy, it's not loud, it's not a risk taker and it's... real masculine (to me).

I tried this out today, full of expectation. It's a pleasant but ultimately unremarkable scent. If I was bought it as a gift I would be grateful but wouldn't buy it myself.

In terms of how it actually smells, my first impression was of a slightly less synthetic 'bubblegum' scent such as Hugo by Hugo Boss. This settled down to something closer to Issey Miyake Intense, only slightly weaker.
    Last edited by Dante; 20th August 2010 at 04:21 PM.

Yeah! Finally, after days of thoughts, I've guessed what fragrance Bleu de Chanel reminds me so much. It is more citrusy and less sweet, but nevertheless copy of Biother Homme Force fragrance. Please, if you can compare them both and confirm my guess.

Interesting, that Biotherm presents its scent as just fresh and inexpensive, when Chanel... You know, though.

Here, I'll take the bait. Tried this today and liked it alot!I don't think, to my nose, that it is much like many others. It has a quality to it that alot of the watered down stuff doesn't...(see Big Pony and many others). I'm wearing a sample now and I think it is great on me. There.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

This fragrance is the food equivalent of a turkey sandwich. It's simple, tastes good, easy to make, and gets the job done. However, with all the different, better tasting, more interesting choices you can opt to have, why wouldn't you choose to have something better?