Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

My educated guess is Bleu de chanel will be the biggest selling new men's fragrance of 2010.
    My opinion is equivalent to Kevin Guyer's this is a mess of gargantuan proportions.
    It feels like they played 52-note pickup with the notes on the organ and created a mish-mash of every men's popular note in existence. Thet could have called this Acqua di Terre d'Drakkar YSL Homme Sport de Chanel and not been wrong.
    I better get used to this because between the upcoming marketing blitz with Scorsese and the appeal it will have for women buyig this for the men in their life this is going to be something that will be assaulting my sensibilities for a long time to come.
    Bottom line this feels like Axe got the Chanel C's put on a bottle.
    I expect better from Chanel but as a previous poster said this is a moneyspinner for them and they will be printing it with this, because Bleu de Chanel encompasses everything that is popular.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I like the bottle....waiting for my sample...

if it smells anything like a deeper woodsier Horizon for Men, then i'm sold.

what am i talking about...like that would ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I hit my wife with the multiple unmarked card test, and she picks Bleu over anything from the Allure family every time. They should put a tester and a display of Bleu Stud Boy on the women's counter. It would sell like hotcakes as a gift for men.
    Yes, I smelled it from a tester at the women's Chanel counter
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    It feels like they played 52-note pickup with the notes on the organ and created a mish-mash of every men's popular note in existence.
    Sampled it today at Nordstrom. That's pretty much my initial reaction, too. Like a screaming mash up modern aquatic and sweet notes. Nice bottle, just not too keen on the contents.

Have Chanel sold out on making great fragrances for men then, is that what we're saying?

I've got to be honest, I don't like any of the Allure flankers.

They still seem to care about the women's market though. But where is the sense that they want to create really special fragrances for men?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Have Chanel sold out on making great fragrances for men then, is that what we're saying?

I've got to be honest, I don't like any of the Allure flankers.

They still seem to care about the women's market though. But where is the sense that they want to create really special fragrances for men?
    I hate all of the Allure flankers too. But IMO Sycomore was brilliant and yes, it's not technically a masculine, but Chanel did release it as a unisex scent and it is a wonderful, well made, masculine fragrance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I don't think so, myself. I just think they're paying the bills between greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I don't think so, myself. I just think they're paying the bills between greats.
    But seeing how it's two decades between meaningful releases, don't you think, they've had enough time to come out with something relevant?

Blog Entries

Post Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    But seeing how it's two decades between meaningful releases, don't you think, they've had enough time to come out with something relevant?
    In a word - yes. I agree - they've had PLENTY of time to come up with something both field-leading and innovative on the men's side. In fact, I think everybody's sense of disappointment stems from the fact that, clearly, NOW, as late as that is already, is when you would expect the seismic shift to occur - some kind of major leap. Instead, we get a leap, all right - squarely into the middle of safe territory, leaving interested observers like ourselves doing a WTF.

If I had to blame a bogeyman, it would be the world's economy. There hasn't been a strong recovery, and the luxury world is faking it - hiding the limp it got from the sucker punch it took. Chanel has survived a hell of a lot, but part of its secret, IMO, has always been playing carefully in tough times. If they came out with something really risky right now, it would amount to wagering the food money. Not a good idea. Instead, they did something interesting and smart - stake a claim right where everybody else is fighting, but actually do a good-enough job of it to walk away with a big piece. Just like Octavian said - marketing-driven. I'd go further - bottom-line-driven.

I simply hope that Chanel does well enough from this release that we see more interesting stuff in the future. And please - let it not be two MORE decades!

Blog Entries

Couldn't resist....

Talking about the economic downturn, to cut costs, sometimes cheaper bottle designs have to be used, or existing ones for that matter. I believe this is no different from D&G's Anthology range, it just seemed so cheaply made. Bleu de Chanel's bottle looks like a rip-off from Allure Homme...

Tried this one over the weekend and I'm very unimpressed but then again, I haven't been impressed with anything on the men's fragrance department counter in a long time. Another bottle to throw into the stream of mediocre/bad men's frags.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

The release date surprises me. It is already on sale here in Belgium. I tried it in Planet Parfum last week. The Earth didn't move for me.

Tried this out today. In a nutshell:

If you like Allure, the Allure flankers and Platinum Egoiste, you will enjoy this. If you enjoy Egoiste, Pour Monsiour, and Antaeus you will hate this. I happen to like Allure so needless to say I enjoy the scent and will be getting a bottle. I will say to my nose it smells pleasant but it's not unique. Kinda smells like its been done before but Chanel just did it in a very very good way if that makes sense. It kinda reminds me of Carlos Santana for Men but without the cinnamon note.

I was able to test this on my skin yesterday and I agree with most here. It smells very much like every other aquatic initially, but I probably will break down and get it anyway. Love my aquatics.

Thumbs down Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post
    Tried this out today. In a nutshell:

If you like Allure, the Allure flankers and Platinum Egoiste, you will enjoy this. If you enjoy Egoiste, Pour Monsiour, and Antaeus you will hate this. I happen to like Allure so needless to say I enjoy the scent and will be getting a bottle. I will say to my nose it smells pleasant but it's not unique. Kinda smells like its been done before but Chanel just did it in a very very good way if that makes sense. It kinda reminds me of Carlos Santana for Men but without the cinnamon note.
    I concur with all of this, though I have never smelled Santana for Men. My mall Macy's had a tester out and they were taking pre-orders (quite a lot, by the sound of it).

This fragrance has brought home for me Luca Turin's differentiation between luxury and chic: Bleu is an unsmiling modern masculine of no great consequence, redeemed slightly by a better grade of raw materials than one usually encounters in this sort of thing. It is only a disappointment because it is Chanel, but it is a disappointment nonetheless.

A release such as this makes me wonder whether an innovative and glorious past can be more of a burden to a designer house than a blessing. Tradition eliminates the need to reinvent the proverbial with each generation, and dovetails with the fear that too many surprises along the way and the buying public might not "get it", leading them to look elsewhere. Chanel now represent so much as a purveyor of luxury that it has almost become their duty to conform to everyone's expectations of what they ought to be. The result is a perfume that is neither innovative nor epoch-making, or even fun. This is functionality at a price--instant status without any of the battle scars.

These are big problems for better men than me, but frankly, I just wish the damn thing smelled more interesting.

Maybe the global economy will pick up over the next decade and the powers that be will take the shackles off of Sheldrake. Roll on 2020.

just tried this one out after a few days of waiting...

"ordinaire" came to mind

chanel gets minus points for this one

Blog Entries

I've been really anticipating this one. When I see many of you guys on here say "ordinary", "nothing ground breaking", etc. that is usually a signal for me to try it. Those are the types of frags I seem to enjoy most. I mostly wear mine to the office, church, etc., so I just want to smell good without making any big statement.

Anyway, I went over to my local Macy's yesterday, and they did have the tester bottle, but none in stock to sell yet. I got the SA to spray some on a card (already had on a frag and was headed into the office). So, for what it's worth from smelling it on paper, I think you are all spot on. It truly is "nothing ground breaking". That said, I do kind of like how it smells (Edition Blanche is one of my favorite frags). Enough to be going back soon for a skin test. At this point I don't know if it will be bottle worthy for me, but it definitely could be.

I did make an unexpected reference from smelling the card after several hours though. I started to be reminded of the smell that wafts out of Abercrombie & Fitch in the mall (I'm assuming that smell is Fierce???). Anyway, I certainly didn't expect to be making any Chanel/A&F comparisons. And of course that is just from the card, which doesn't always give the true scent picture.

Anyone else notice that similarity?

Remember how the Emperor tried to trick us with Guerlain Homme and told us how 'groundbreaking' it was, and 'shouldn't we be glad that we're able to even 'look' at it let alone 'wear it'?

Well, looks like Chanel has taken a page from Guerlain's 'Rules of Profit for Mass Market Sales' or maybe it should be called 'Tricks for profitting in Mass Market Sales'.

Oh, and aren't we lucky that we can pre-order this 'gift' from Chanel!

I'm ready.

The stuff is as vapid, tepid, and brief as Peres Hilton making love to Justin Bieber. It's 'blew' all right!

It immediately has that 'been there -done that' note, as has been mentioned.

The bottle, well, let's face it guys, if this is what you consider exciting, then you'd better start shopping Avon. But this should be suitable for small children.

With a release date of August 13, I can only hope that 'Blue de Chanel' will be eclipsed by our first contact with aliens, or another Lyndsay Lohan incarceration, or even the elevation of Glen Beck to Mensa.

Think of all the money that would be saved?
    Last edited by graffham; 4th August 2010 at 09:38 PM.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Remember how the Emperor tried to trick us with Guerlain Homme and told us how 'groundbreaking' it was, and 'shouldn't we be glad that we're able to even 'look' at it let alone 'wear it'?

Well, looks like Chanel has taken a page from Guerlain's 'Rules of Profit for Mass Market Sales' or maybe it should be called 'Tricks for profitting in Mass Market Sales'.

Oh, and aren't we lucky that we can pre-order this 'gift' from Chanel!

I'm ready.

The stuff is as vapid, tepid, and brief as Peres Hilton making love to Justin Bieber. It's 'blew' all right!

It immediately has that 'been there -done that' note, as has been mentioned.

The bottle, well, let's face it guys, if this is what you consider exciting, then you'd better start shopping Avon.

With a release date of August 13, I can only hope that 'Blue de Chanel' will be eclipsed by our first contact with aliens, or another Lyndsay Lohan incarceration, or even the elevation of Glen Beck to Mensa.

Think of all the money that would be saved?
    Very good!
    About Paris Hilton, she has come up with one of the best Gourmand scents for men, which was completely unexpected, i know...
    Chanel still hasn't some up with a barely decent gourmand -yet.
    what has happened with the house that gave us …goÔste and Chanel PM? i even liked Allure PH!

I love you guys, but I don't understand this Chanel hype.
    I don't even want to smell it on paper anymore. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    I concur with all of this, though I have never smelled Santana for Men. My mall Macy's had a tester out and they were taking pre-orders (quite a lot, by the sound of it).

This fragrance has brought home for me Luca Turin's differentiation between luxury and chic: Bleu is an unsmiling modern masculine of no great consequence, redeemed slightly by a better grade of raw materials than one usually encounters in this sort of thing. It is only a disappointment because it is Chanel, but it is a disappointment nonetheless.

A release such as this makes me wonder whether an innovative and glorious past can be more of a burden to a designer house than a blessing. Tradition eliminates the need to reinvent the proverbial with each generation, and dovetails with the fear that too many surprises along the way and the buying public might not "get it", leading them to look elsewhere. Chanel now represent so much as a purveyor of luxury that it has almost become their duty to conform to everyone's expectations of what they ought to be. The result is a perfume that is neither innovative nor epoch-making, or even fun. This is functionality at a price--instant status without any of the battle scars.

These are big problems for better men than me, but frankly, I just wish the damn thing smelled more interesting.

Maybe the global economy will pick up over the next decade and the powers that be will take the shackles off of Sheldrake. Roll on 2020.
    Well, when talented perfumers such as Christophe Laudamiel are making coffee runs for Thierry "Manfred" Mugler, you know things are pretty messed up in the fragrance.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I love you guys, but I don't understand this Chanel hype.
    I don't even want to smell it on paper anymore. Sorry.
    We love you, too!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Oh come on!!!
    So nobody could remember 28 La Pausa, Coromandel, #18, 31 Rue Cambon, Sycomore, etc?
    Or those are not relevant fragrances anymore?
    And they did not require any perfumer`s work whoever they were?

I believe that Les Exclusifs de Chanel is blessing and damned thing to Polge+Sheldrake.
    They just made the collection of so high level of exorbitant quality that truly outstands any luxury standards - so we began to expect SOMETHING MORE in usual Chanel`s luxury perfumes.
    False expectations.
    Luxe perfumes are luxe perfumes. They have a (definitely lower) budget. They have a (strict) brief. They have a (detalised and profit-oriented) marketing plan. And they have a lot of other people involved in perfume-creation process.
    I do not suppose that all of them aren`t as brilliant as Polge - they just pull in their own side. And the thing comes to grey-blue colour.
    And it`s not new - what, there`re no lovers/haters of previous luxe by Chanel: Egoiste, Egoiste Platinum, Allure, Pour Monsieur? Yes, there`re. Some loves, some hates, some cannot understand the hype, etc.
    Or maybe they are extra-original? Only for blinded by love fans of some scent.

So... sorry for my long text. thanks for your attention.
    Take the long story short: lets don`t expect much from any new scent. It pays.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

It's definitely not straying far from allure in it's drydown...t has that same bland "dry/dusty/parched" basenote featured in the allures and Lacoste challenge. The initial blast got me interested, and the magnetic cap is cool, but this scent brings nothing new or even interesting to the table imo. It's bested by many other designer scents out right now.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Got given a free vial sample today. I took a spray of it and tried it out. Sporty and fresh which turns darker. I have confirmed it. It isn't at all any special to me.

I just smell the citrus accord at the top, with slight fruitiness from the grapefruit and light woodiness from the cedar. The incense and sandalwood at the bottom. I would say it's a darker fresh fragrance. I wouldn't buy it. Nothing special to me.

Last edited by Marshmellow; 5th August 2010 at 01:56 PM.

Chanels glory days are over..

Luxe fragrances became deluxe fragrances, i definetely don`t expect nothing at all of this frags

so is this stuff on sale anywhere yet? i went to macy's on monday and they gave me the same old 'it will be on sale in 2 weeks' bs. i just wanted to know if any of the major dept stores are selling it yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    The initial blast got me interested, and the magnetic cap is cool, but this scent brings nothing new or even interesting to the table imo.
    Yes, there is this point in the beginning that I find REALLY interesting - but it fades out with the topnotes. Just GONE. If they could bottle and freeze-frame that in an intense version, no matter how linear, it would be most awesome.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast