Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Gucci Homme Sport (its not blue is it?)
    No, it's green actually.

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._lhe.html#more

amazing review (Blueu haters would be anxious with that)

OK, I've been wearing it for almost a whole week now, and my opinion keeps going up. I didn't like it at first sniff on the blotter (actually, it was OK, but nothing interesting). On skin, I really liked it quite a lot, so I purchased it. Now that I've been with Bleu de Chanel for a while, I think it is actually quite wonderful. There is a complexity there that I'm surprised more people aren't smelling. The opening, is very ordinary, yes, but that is quite fleeting. I think there is great depth and actually some true artistry lurking in this scent. I'm surprised some of the more sophisticated noses on this board are not a bit more supportive of the composition. Perhaps, I'm being too generous with my praise, but I really like it. It smells really good. Maybe anything that seems a bit obvious doesn't deserve a chance to some here, but I think this one is being judged a bit harshly and in haste.

mrclmind, you must be my scent twin. I tried it again today at Macy's and I am tempted to get it. I also went to Sephora and tried other perfumes, but I kept smelling the wrist where Bleu was sprayed.
    Evenstar

Maybe this is the fragrance that can't be understood at first sniff? Something like the masterpiece that we should smell many times to grasp its complexity?
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

mrclmind, you hit it on the head. I've been wearing this on and off all week, and I find something slightly new, or nuances therein that just make me really appreciate it. Definitely will be a keeper in my wardrobe.

I love it now. Took a week or so, but I now own it...and the aftershave...and the deodorant spray. Hehe.

OK, after another test spray at my local dept store, I have worked out what it reminds me of... the 2009 'reboot' of DKNY Men. No wonder I'm underwhelmed...

I have a theory. Polge was ordered to "make something all these Acqua di Gio buyers can wear in the evening".

I do hope we don't have to wait another 13 years for something in the mens line. I would like to find out how a Chanel fourgere would smell.

Well... I've been testing this several times now, and have to say that my initial impression still stands: bland and pleasant. I can't imagine I will ever purchase this.

If my nose is too unsophisticated to grasp the greatness of this fragrance, so be it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    OK, after another test spray at my local dept store, I have worked out what it reminds me of... the 2009 'reboot' of DKNY Men. No wonder I'm underwhelmed...
    I made the same connection to the new DKNY Men, andym72. BUT, Bleu is much better. I have a decant of the DKNY Men that I barely ever wear. I have found myself wanting to smell Bleu more.

I think mrclmind is right. There is something great here that would be easy to miss if you dismiss this scent after one or even two or three wears. The drydown is actually VERY nice. I think it's just going to have to grow on people.

When I first joined BN, I remember something similar happened with Versace Pour Homme. It was bashed and totally dismissed when it first launched. But, it garnered a bit of a following after a while. I think this is the same kind of situation. Only I have a feeling Bleu may even be nicer than VPH.

Time will tell.

It gets a big thumbs up in The Sunday Times Style magazine today. They say they wish all men could smell of this!

Tried this yesterday. Plus got a card.

On my skin, after an initial burst, I could smell nothing. Then it somehow came to life again.

On the card it smelled better to me. And more consistent.

While I cannot see myself buying it, I think it will be a great success. People will like how it smells.

afer 30 minutes dry down, on me its similar to encre noir
    scent up your life!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    OK, I've been wearing it for almost a whole week now, and my opinion keeps going up. I didn't like it at first sniff on the blotter (actually, it was OK, but nothing interesting). On skin, I really liked it quite a lot, so I purchased it. Now that I've been with Bleu de Chanel for a while, I think it is actually quite wonderful. There is a complexity there that I'm surprised more people aren't smelling. The opening, is very ordinary, yes, but that is quite fleeting. I think there is great depth and actually some true artistry lurking in this scent. I'm surprised some of the more sophisticated noses on this board are not a bit more supportive of the composition. Perhaps, I'm being too generous with my praise, but I really like it. It smells really good. Maybe anything that seems a bit obvious doesn't deserve a chance to some here, but I think this one is being judged a bit harshly and in haste.
    I think it`s because people will automatically put it in competition with CHANEL`s masterpieces like f.ex Egoiste and Pour Monsieur.. To me, Bleu de CHANEL was a big disappointment!

Sur la Plage

I tried it for a fourth time today. I find it to be a fairly innocuous, typical designer fragrance - not bad, but nothing special. That being said, I am sure it will be a big seller - I imagine everyone will be wearing it to the next Nickelback concert they go to.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    ... I imagine everyone will be wearing it to the next Nickelback concert they go to.
    LOL, petruccijc. I can't stand Nickelschmuck either
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I'm a big fan of aquatics, but I've yet to find one that I can wear beyond the summer months. I'm glad to see some of the reviews for Bleu coming around, especially from some noses I admire like Gerbick and Mrclmind (glad to see you back!). Anyway, I see that there are some notes in here like incense ... can anyone recommend this for fall/ winter?

I bought a small bottle at Bloomingdales a few days ago. The only reason why I bought it is because they will take it back even if you open it. That being said, I do think this wears better than just spraying on your wrist or smelling it on paper. As I said before, it is a fresh / aquatic scent that wears like an oriental. While this fragrance doesn't make the earth shake, it does smell good, and you could do a lot worse than this for an everyday, workhorse scent. I have a feeling that this scent will perform better in fall & winter, which usually isn't the case for most aquatics. While I'm not sure if I'll end up keeping it or not, I do think that this is better than the initial response would indicate. This might not blaze any trails, but ultimately, it is as good or better than any in it's genre...

I have a theory. Polge was ordered to "make something all these Acqua di Gio buyers can wear in the evening".
    Yeah, I thaught that too. There was something in the initial blast that reminded of AdG, the fleshy-fruit/spice type, similar to the persimmon note in AdG. And of course the marketing, images, bottle all suggest night wear to seemingly compliment a buyer's daytime fresh/aquatic fave.

I've been a week with mine, too. Like mrclmind, every time I put it on I pick up something new. I do like this. I think it could be my everyday scent. But, if everyone in town starts wearing it, like AdG, then I'll be disappointed.

I'll say it again - I'm wearing it right now and my wife is all nuzzled up on my chest and neck just really enjoying it. I have stuff that I wear just for me and I have stuff that I wear when I really want my wife to be super close to me. Put this frag in the latter category!

I don't buy stuff just cuz my wife likes it. She likes AdG, but I can't stand the stuff. But I like this Bleu I'll wear it for her, too!

Have a great end of weekend, folks.

Carl
    WTB: EMPTY A*Men Metal Refillable Flask

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by omniray View Post
    http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._lhe.html#more

amazing review (Blueu haters would be anxious with that)
    I found this part interesting...

While the meticulous fine-tuning is perceptible in the new composition, Bleu de Chanel is not what one would call a flashily original perfume, but rather it is a subtly original work. The sum of the efforts that were put in the fragrance does translate in the end in a perfume with unique qualities, but if you were to think of originality as being like a shift in a paradigm as evident as the clap of thunder, this is not what takes place here. However, accepting the scent of Bleu de Chanel will mean accepting the idea that a marine accord is not just for sportswear but universally elegant, accept a certain dreamy, poetical quality associated with a mainstream fragrance, and accept a certain blurring of the lines in terms of gender.

Notes: citrus fruits, deep blue sea accord, grapefruit, peppermint, pink pepper, nutmeg, ginger, cedar, jasmine, patchouli, frankincense, labdanum.

Bleu de Chanel opens on a complex and addictive accord of seascape smells and woods, all this with a suggestion of salty booziness, energized by a wedge of lime, warmed by ambery fruits. The composition evokes a familiar outdoorsy accord of masculine perfumery only here it has been both refined and intensified and made in my view to feel utterly seductive...
    In this sense, I would agree. If the innovation was in creating something (more or less) universally pleasant, intricate in a small scale (which some can't detect), and surprisingly "aquiental" or "powdery aquatic", then yes - perhaps there is more artistry than we've been giving it credit for. However, see my next post....

Blog Entries

OK, I've been wearing it for almost a whole week now, and my opinion keeps going up. I didn't like it at first sniff on the blotter (actually, it was OK, but nothing interesting). On skin, I really liked it quite a lot, so I purchased it.
    I'm really not wanting to have to buy it to "get" it, but it's looking that way. I've tried this on skin a good half-dozen times. The most recent time, a huge wet spot on one arm, with Allure Homme on the other arm. And still, even the original Allure Homme fared better for me.

Now that I've been with Bleu de Chanel for a while, I think it is actually quite wonderful. There is a complexity there that I'm surprised more people aren't smelling.
    I think I must be anosmic to something. I only get about three or four identifiable aspects, and they are very blurry. I'm getting more out of every single Allure than I am from Bleu.

The opening, is very ordinary, yes, but that is quite fleeting. I think there is great depth and actually some true artistry lurking in this scent. I'm surprised some of the more sophisticated noses on this board are not a bit more supportive of the composition.
    I don't think it's just me. I'm betting there's a sex-linked anosmia for a double-digit percentage of men. I do get a nice drydown, but the heart is like a very strong (I know this sounds weird) "odorless" note. I can sense the note wafting weaker and stronger as I move the scent toward and away from my nose, but it's like the olfactory equivalent of distilled water or air - like the absence of scent.

Perhaps, I'm being too generous with my praise, but I really like it. It smells really good. Maybe anything that seems a bit obvious doesn't deserve a chance to some here, but I think this one is being judged a bit harshly and in haste.
    Some people, perhaps, but I'm really trying to give this a chance. I may just say screw it, buy a bottle, and drench myself in it until I figure it out.

I haven't spoken up about this one but I agree with you. Frankly I liken it to my original take on Aventus which did a complete 180 over a fairly short period of time. Bleu still isn't earth shaking to me but VERY comfortable.

I tried it for a fourth time today. I find it to be a fairly innocuous, typical designer fragrance - not bad, but nothing special. That being said, I am sure it will be a big seller - I imagine everyone will be wearing it to the next Nickelback concert they go to.
    nothing is exclusive in this days.. (but i have limits, i cant wear Adg in present moment) with all those new releases im sure nothing wont be like a adg case (everyone wearing around you)

I tried this yesterday and like so many was underwhelmed. I think my expectations were set quite high and, having read the notes, I was expecting a different smell to the one I got. It did not stand out from the crowd and just smelt OK. Perhaps i need to give it another go or perhaps i will just stick with Pour Monsieur and Antaeus and wait for a less aquatic flanker to come around (I'm sure there will be one!)

Agree completely. I'm wearing it again today and the drydown has more of a "vetiver" feel than I had the first few times. Almost that powder feel with vetiver. Classy. I still am not sure about it lasting on me or sillage but I also am not spraying alot.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Yeah, I thaught that too. There was something in the initial blast that reminded of AdG, the fleshy-fruit/spice type, similar to the persimmon note in AdG. And of course the marketing, images, bottle all suggest night wear to seemingly compliment a buyer's daytime fresh/aquatic fave.
    This is exactly my reasoning as well. A lot of the perfume blogs have commented that they think it is odd that an aquatic is being marketed as a evening, formal scent. But to me it just means someone in marketing at Chanel realised they could do an 'AdG Night', before Armani realise they are missing a trick

I think it is time for full disclosure now... I really dont like aquatics, they really do not agree with me. I think its a skin chemistry thing. Bleu may well be the new state of the art in aquatics, and I wouldn't know.

The thing is, for a house like Chanel, that adds totally new fragrances to their mens line so infrequently, one aquatic is enough.
    Last edited by andym72; 23rd August 2010 at 03:07 PM.

This is exactly my reasoning as well. A lot of the perfume blogs have commented that they think it is odd that an aquatic is being marketed as a evening, formal scent. But to me it just means someone in marketing at Chanel realised they could do an 'AdG Night', before Armani realise they are missing a trick

I think it is time for full disclosure now... I really dont like aquatics, they really do not agree with me. I think its a skin chemistry thing. Bleu may well be the new state of the art in aquatics, and I wouldn't know.

The thing is, for a house like Chanel, that adds totally new fragrances to their mens line so infrequently, one aquatic is enough.
    At least Chanel did not drop the ball completely like Gucci, and call it "Sport".

It is nice to see a thread compete with a Creed new-release thread in terms of volume of interest!

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    It is nice to see a thread compete with a Creed new-release thread in terms of volume of interest!
    Yeah....it's good to see that none of these 2 releases have been battered by everyone.....There is a strong favourable opinions for both these latest fragrances and that's not a bad thing....Besides I haven't seen it happen in a long time with most releases during the last year or two.....

OK, I've been wearing it for almost a whole week now, and my opinion keeps going up. I didn't like it at first sniff on the blotter (actually, it was OK, but nothing interesting). On skin, I really liked it quite a lot, so I purchased it....
    Is this some kind of a perfume version of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers??? LOL

Seriously, will give it several trials before making my mind. So far, it is not being currently istributed down here in Argentina.

I tried it yesterday, and didn't think highly of it. If anything, it sort of reminded me of L'eau Par Kenzo without the citrus.

On the other hand, my wife thought it was absolutely fabulous and wanted me to buy it.
    Regards,
    Renato

I can`t see why enyone should buy Bleu instead of the original Allure homme..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Well they're different fragrances. I own both of them and find them quite different, aside from some subtle similarities.

No surprises here. I understand the need to be mainstream, but it does't have to be boring. And this is a major snoozer.

For example, Dior is a main rival of Chanel on the fragrance market, but it doesn't create so boring fragrances. Dior Homme, Fahrenheit Absolute that came out last 5 years are masterpieces. Dior Homme Sport is very intersting interpretation of freshness, and I can't name it plain. So, Bleu can't be justified just because the house of Chanel needs to survive on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I bought a small bottle at Bloomingdales a few days ago. The only reason why I bought it is because they will take it back even if you open it. That being said, I do think this wears better than just spraying on your wrist or smelling it on paper. As I said before, it is a fresh / aquatic scent that wears like an oriental. While this fragrance doesn't make the earth shake, it does smell good, and you could do a lot worse than this for an everyday, workhorse scent. I have a feeling that this scent will perform better in fall & winter, which usually isn't the case for most aquatics. While I'm not sure if I'll end up keeping it or not, I do think that this is better than the initial response would indicate. This might not blaze any trails, but ultimately, it is as good or better than any in it's genre...
    Ah, great. Now I have to give this one another chance. I'll try to pester a SA for a sample vial.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    +1

And some nicely divided opinions, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Is this some kind of a perfume version of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers??? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    On the other hand, my wife thought it was absolutely fabulous and wanted me to buy it.
    Man, what is the DEAL with this stuff? It's like Chanel created a "my fresh guy" scent for chicks. Is Bleu actually the answer to the eternal question?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    This one has made me appreciate Allure Homme again. The differences have pointed out some aspects of Allure that I now realize are very compelling for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    Well they're different fragrances. I own both of them and find them quite different, aside from some subtle similarities.
    Yes - I think I need to get my head more around what Bleu actually IS than what it ISN'T. TC mentioned vetiver, and maybe I need to go looking for it.

I like the color, the bottle, it looks amazing at the counter..Though the scent is not blue. It;s not blue for the night. Its not an aquatic or marine scent.
    Its woody aromatic light oriental. I think it could be easy an Allure flanker.

first impressions - something is taken from Platinum Egoiste, something from Allure, and a greater part from YSL L'homme.

Bleu de Chanel is not fresh. It's coumarinic-sweet???. like watered down Hypnose for men, YSL L'Homme, 1 million

I think I dont neeed it. More original and interesting are Allure and Allure homme sport
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    +1

Yes - I think I need to get my head more around what Bleu actually IS than what it ISN'T. TC mentioned vetiver, and maybe I need to go looking for it.
    Yeah I got the vetiver..or the scent of vetiver.. on the drydown all yesterday. I saw someone above mention Enre Noir. It wasn't that strong but it was like EN Light. More of a Guerlain Vetiver note without the tobacco....lime like...fresh vetiver instead of dirty. That may not make sense but it did to me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

There is one extreme or another with this fragrance. I see reviews killing it because it is an average mass-market fragrance but I also see glowing reviews praising it because it is Chanel. In all honesty this scent could be easily mistaken for Antonio Banderas Blue Seduction or Versace Man Eau Fraiche all three of these scents while not exactly the same are so similiar that the non-basenoter would get them confused. I like a lot of things going on with the Chanel and I think it does get better with time but it will also be hard for me to purchae a bottle when I know I can get a bottle of blue seduction for less than $20.00.

Quote Originally Posted by tbp82 View Post
    There is one extreme or another with this fragrance. I see reviews killing it because it is an average mass-market fragrance but I also see glowing reviews praising it because it is Chanel
    I don't think *anyone* here is praising it solely because it's a Chanel fragrance. This might be incredibly naive of me, but isn't it just possible that the people who are praising it are doing so simply because they happen to like it?

Quote Originally Posted by tbp82 View Post
    There is one extreme or another with this fragrance. I see reviews killing it because it is an average mass-market fragrance but I also see glowing reviews praising it because it is Chanel. In all honesty this scent could be easily mistaken for Antonio Banderas Blue Seduction or Versace Man Eau Fraiche all three of these scents while not exactly the same are so similiar that the non-basenoter would get them confused. I like a lot of things going on with the Chanel and I think it does get better with time but it will also be hard for me to purchae a bottle when I know I can get a bottle of blue seduction for less than $20.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I don't think *anyone* here is praising it solely because it's a Chanel fragrance. This might be incredibly naive of me, but isn't it just possible that the people who are praising it are doing so simply because they happen to like it?
    Agree with Riverwide here. I'm not that big an afficianado to make purchases based on house alone. I also don't think this is anywhere near Versace Man Eau Fraiche. I love the way that smells but this is worlds apart in my book. I don't even get that off the bat. Again, I might not even buy it but I like it alot and I think the quality is much better than the synthetic bombs out there.
    --Ben Hogan

I had doused myself with Bleu de Chanel and my SO says "You smell like Abercrombie!" I realized yes, BdC smells very much like baby boomer generation version of Fierce from A & F. Maybe its more a blend of Fierce and Versace pour Homme? It's not bad though. It's not groundbreaking or really new, but not bad and it might be habit forming. A sophisticated Fierce like niche scent, dressed up in a minimal distinctive indigo bottle probably fills a market need + it's a good smell - so thanks Chanel!

Argh! It's not that bad! You could have atleast had the decency to call it a Shins concert! :-P

Had to add my opinion on Bleu de Chanel in this massive thread

Bleu de Chanel is a perfect illustration of the modern french fragrance industry

High quality superb ingredients, and unfortunately

no inspiration what so ever.

No wonder niche market is booming these days.

Hello everyone, first post. I had never thought to look for a forum like this before. Well, I did and found this. I'm probably a big time newbie, so bear with me.

I took a sample of this last week sometime, and wasn't too impressed. For some reason I held onto the card. About 5 or 10 minutes later, I started to like it better. I think the smell of the paper had something to do with it. I think it smelled cleaner on the paper.

I picked up a bottle on Monday, didn't wear it on Tuesday. My company's IT guy came in on Tuesday and I thought, "Why would he wear that much Polo Blue?" I probably would have bet $10 that he was wearing Polo Blue.

Today, I am wearing Bleu de Chanel. First time in the bottle, I put on one and a half squirts, half being the starter squirt. I figure start out light to see if I like it first. By the time I got to work, I figured I would wipe off half of it with a paper towel because it was too strong. I did, and it was still too strong. I wiped off as much as I could and it still seems a bit strong.

I am 95% sure that the IT guy yesterday was wearing Bleu de Chanel, and I know why it smelled so strong.

It smells very similar to Polo Blue. I am trying to indentify a unique smell so that I can identify it from Polo Blue. To me, it smells like Polo Blue mixed with Polo Romance. I think the similarity to Romance is what I can use to identify it.

In my opinion, it gives a similar aura of Armani Code. It is deep and thick and has a strong smell. About 3 years ago I had a temporary issue with Armani Code where I could not stand the smell of it. I stopped wearing it completely for about 6 months and I don't have a problem with it anymore, but I wear it very lightly.

I think that it smells better as it gets weaker, so I hope that it will smell better as the day goes on. So far it has a lot of staying power.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    +1
    Man, what is the DEAL with this stuff? It's like Chanel created a "my fresh guy" scent for chicks.
    Nope. I got my wifes opinion on this one, and she made the "portuguese for bleugh noise". Something like buuuurg. And that's never a good sign

Watching the film-ad of Bleu, my girlfriend said that she is sure that this is so masculine and strong... I don't want to disappoint her and give her a try of this.

Blog Entries

Nope. I got my wifes opinion on this one, and she made the "portuguese for bleugh noise". Something like buuuurg. And that's never a good sign
    LOL - Well, thank goodness it's not EVERY woman. The "boring but my wife loves it" thing was starting to get a little creepy!

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Watching the film-ad of Bleu, my girlfriend said that she is sure that this is so masculine and strong... I don't want to disappoint her and give her a try of this.
    Hahaha! Maybe it's just strong as in "smells clean, so it's stronger than body odor" kind of strong. Not exactly my definition of strength. But in terms of longevity, I have to say it's strong. I just sniffed my Bleu de Chanel test cards from my VERY FIRST sniff post on this thread (they were lying around in my den) - it's been several weeks now - and I can still smell the drydown on them. AND it smells pretty damn good. Kind of a fresh musk sort of smell, with a touch of a sharp note. Not sure what it is, but I do like it.

I've just received this as a gift from my folks who picked it up in Singapore. Apparently being promoted very aggressively there. Like many here I was slightly dreading Bleu de Chanel. Everything about it looked wrong and I though that Chanel had finally totally given in to the money-men and the advertising hipsters. I smelled this a few weeks back on paper at a dept store and was less disappointed than I thought I would be. Yes, I understand the 'Multi-millionaire Axe' vibe but I agree with mrclmind and think this one needs more time.
    I sprayed on skin a few hours ago and the initial opening was pretty tame and uninteresting. But this is Chanel so as Luca Turin said of Allure Homme Cologne Sport, at least the ingredients are of high quality and the bottle nice and solid.
    Bleu de Chanel evolves into something far more interesting after a couple of hours. The woody amber and vetiver are actually very classy and finely balanced. The pink peppercorn is nicely woven into the composition too. All in all, although I wouldn't say I love this fragrance, its does seem to be well crafted. My first impressions are most definitely different now. I'm looking forward to wearing this over the coming weeks and see how my nose reacts to it. I've got a feeling that I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.
    I for one think that Bleu de Chanel is not the drone-clone modern 'fresh' scent that many of us were worried it might be. It just needs a little time. I will admit though that I would have been unlikely to buy this myself. I'm now very grateful I got it as a present!

Blue de Chanel makes YSL L'Homme, Bois de Illes !

Blue de Chanel brings the end between me & designer fragrances,
    it is the end of dept. stores shopping for me, ...

with exception of the pre-millennium creations, I can't imagine my wardobe without Egoiste even though it has been re-formulated?
    Last edited by tariq; 29th August 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tariq View Post
    Blue de Chanel brings the end between me & designer fragrances, this is the end of dept. stores shopping to me ...
    What if something special like Terre d'Hermes comes out?

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It seems well put together, but the complete lack of inspiration really turns me off. There seems to be no sense of soul to this at all, no point of view, just calculated precision.

Regards,
    Steve

Finally tried this.

It smells good, mostly. I liked the first half but found the woody note in the base to be flat, stuffy, and irritating. It smells of arrogance; a shallow arrogance. In a word: soulless.

edit: Odd. I came to this thread and posted straight away before reading anything on this page. It's funny that sjas1962 posted nearly the same sentiments right before me. He said it well: 'calculated precision.' That's all that is on display here. Like a virtuoso musician running up and down scales at light speed but never tying his amazingly technical solo into the music that supports him.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I'm late to the party again, huh?

The opening is indeed a generic fruity-marine accord I've smelled many times before. But Bleu de Chanel needs more time. I enjoyed the 2nd & 3rd hour more than I did the first. If Bleu had been released by another house it might have been better received but then again it could have been written off even more quickly. It is one of the better composed fragrances from the 'generic' genre in the sense that it holds its structure better.

I find Bleu easy to wear, and it comes across like a rounder, somewhat aquatic version of Kenzo Air (esp. the interplay between the ozonic vetiver & marine accords). I do agree with the sentiments - Polge had probably been tasked to design the next AdG or Cool Water.

Would I buy it? Probably not. Would I wear it? Yes but only if it doesn't get too popular.

I tested it on paper today. Incredibly boring - just smelt like YSL L'homme or similar. Sweet and fruity. Not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    I tested it on paper today. Incredibly boring - just smelt like YSL L'homme or similar. Sweet and fruity. Not much else.
    Yeah, when I tested it on a tissue, even the tissue gave me a look of disgust.

Have not yet tried this. So it is all about pineapple? So, who thinks this note is supreme?

My second day with a full dosage (4 sprays vs. 3 yesterday) and about 6 hours into it, I'm getting tea accords. Weird. I also thought I got some vetiver out of it yesterday.