Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

It is essentially a bit boring in concept - a fresh citrus/aquatic drying down to cedar and balsamic wood.
    However, it is very well done.
    The same could be said for many fragrances I like such as Creeds, Trumpers, Amouage Attars etc.
    A fairly standard concept made from good materials and blended to perfection.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I think this is a great fragrance from Chanel - I even broke down and bought a large bottle yesterday. I don't understand all the fuss here and the let downs? This is a modern energetic fragrance same as Chance is females is.

Another Antaeaus or Egoiste is not going to happen. Truly they were not that original but product of their time and resembled other scents of that era like Kouros, Obsession.

This is a quality fragrance from the bottle to what contains inside that truly is most important aspect especially in these times. Chanel's price tag matches its product.

Blog Entries

I find Bleu and Edition Blanche to be quite different too. Yes, you can tell they are from the same family, but maybe cousins instead of immediate family. Someone earlier in this monster thread said Blue feels like it should have been in the Allure line. I think that's probably an accurate statement. I think they meant it as a criticism though, but I'm ok with it.

I love Bleu, but still think Edition Blanche is better. Bleu to me is what I'd hoped Allure Sport would smell like. Sport to me wore a lot heavier and warmer than I would have thought for a "sport" fragrance.

Anyway, do you think there would be less criticism of Bleu if it had been named Allure Homme Sport (if the name wasn't taken) or Allure Homme Fresh?

Blog Entries

^^ I agree - I bought it - but the key is what you said - it's like Chance. I think Chance is great - especially the new Eau Tendre. An excellent modern mainstream feminine. And there you have it. Modern mainstream.

Even if one accepts the idea that Antaeus and Egoiste were exceptional and groundbreaking, and not typical within their times, the question to me is what a "new Antaeus" or "new Egoiste" would even look like. Would we be able to recognize it? I would like to think so, but sometimes I'm not so sure. Sometimes I think our retroscentual tendencies work against us, and keep us hoping for the past, instead of recognizing the future, or even the exceptional present.

The general future of fragrance, to my mind, is stuff that appeals to young people in a big way. There will always be young people with discernment and taste who love things outside the mainstream, and bravo to that. But I also trust the nose of the people in general to follow a good path, and that there can be exceptional and beautiful fragrances which fall squarely in the mainstream.

^ Yes - I think there would have been less criticism HERE if it had been named as an Allure. Our expectations would have been lowered. But I think Chanel was right to move the name out of that tar-pit. Chanel fragrances have a house similarity which - like Hotel California - they can probably never leave. But linking that similarity to the Allure brand was becoming detrimental, IMO. And you're totally right - Allure "Sport" was already taken.

Blog Entries

^^ I wasn't following fragrances when they were released, but I think I read that Antaeus and Egoiste were marketed to the younger crowd when they came out.

Is that true? And, if so, I think that is the same thing Chanel is doing with Bleu. Marketing to the younger crowd. "This isn't your father's Chanel"

Chanel should thank everyone in this love-hate discussion on Bleu. I just blind bought a bottle today because of this thread. From first wrist test, it is indeed pleasant and easy to wear in my climate.

Tried it today, and they should have named it Chanel Allure Homme Edition Bleu.

Same squeeky clean, synthetic middle management scent as the Allure Homme line, but indeed, with a pineapple top.

The only thing I liked was the magnetic cap.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    ^^ I wasn't following fragrances when they were released, but I think I read that Antaeus and Egoiste were marketed to the younger crowd when they came out.

Is that true? And, if so, I think that is the same thing Chanel is doing with Bleu. Marketing to the younger crowd. "This isn't your father's Chanel"
    I always had the impression that Chanel targeted their marketing mainly towards an adult customer in the 25-35 age bracket. I never had the impression that Antaeus or Égoïste were aimed at the under 25 or teen market...

But I also feel that Chanel are promoting a more youthful image nowadays, just like everyone else. A few decades ago, being a mature adult was not considered a disaster and the end of your life. Nowadays we're striving for an eternal adolescense, so that's the fantasy marketers try to sell us...

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I always had the impression that Chanel targeted their marketing mainly towards an adult customer in the 25-35 age bracket. I never had the impression that Antaeus or Égoïste were aimed at the under 25 or teen market...

But I also feel that Chanel are promoting a more youthful image nowadays, just like everyone else. A few decades ago, being a mature adult was not considered a disaster and the end of your life. Nowadays we're striving for an eternal adolescense, so that's the fantasy marketers try to sell us...
    I don't remember when Antaeus was released, but I remember quite well the commercial for Egoiste. It drove me into a frenzy and I was almost literally waiting for it when it hit the department store. Egoiste didn't seem aimed that young. More like Tott says- 25-35.

Bleu seems like it may be aiming a bit younger but more in the design of the juice than the marketing per se. Though the commercial seems to have a bit more of a youthful appeal than did the commercial for Egoiste. More a "rebel" kind of attitude. The Egoiste commercial was pushing a scent that a womanizer would wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    I was around at the time of both releases and i don't think they were marketed towards the younger crowd.

The marketing for Antaeus centered on a fit/strong man, not necessarily young, with lines like: "the myth becomes a man today, powerful, rich, distinctive" and "une autre dimension de l'homme" and Égoïste/L'Égoïste being the "chanel for men" only, with the bottle on the ad alone.

Now, for Platinum Égoïste there was an ad of a much younger-looking fit man fighting his shadow so that would be different. There was also another ad featuring a young man seducing a young slim woman as well.

cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    A few decades ago, being a mature adult was not considered a disaster and the end of your life. Nowadays we're striving for an eternal adolescense, so that's the fantasy marketers try to sell us...
    +100 LOL

So true. And what's even more amusing is that the beauty industry fails to take proper credit for its own excellent work. They should be showing off the cougar hotness their products make possible.

Bleu certainly doesn't seem targeted at a teen market. Definitely at an older or somehow different market from what RL is going after with Big Pony. Big Pony is pushing body sprays out the wazoo - Bleu didn't even have aftershave in the competing counters.

I have to agree with a lot being said here, and yes, this is a lot of publicity...When I heard it was coming out, I envisioned it to be quite like it is. They were naming it 'Bleu' afterall...I suppose when I was in High School, male fragrances were mostly 'sports' fragrances and no one deviated from that direction it seemed. I associate the colour blue typically with a sports or aqueous scent. A quality fragrance can still be typical and if this thread had never existed, I would have known what to expect and then when Bleu came out, I would have sampled it and carried on. It's a personal thing moreso than having 'discerning tastes'.

The whole world of fragrance is so incredibly fast-paced and a massive huge market to boot. People will always have the means to afford fragrance which is why we are all here. Fragrance can still be expensive but generally it's the one aspect of 'fashion' that is most affordable along with womens cosmetics. This fragrance was designed to be suitable to most people and available to the masses otherwise it would have failed altogether.

I am just bewildered at the ads regarding 'Chanel:Bleu'...'expect the unexpected'? Were they referring to the cap? lol! I don't know why I am still posting on here. It's like one of those puzzles that is already solved but you feel the answer is too simple to accept.

I felt the same about Coco Mademoiselle and Chance. I adore Coco Mademoiselle. When it came out I didn't have to try hard to sell it. A truly warm orange-citrus delicious embrace of a scent! Not long after, Chanel comes out with Chance and I am so excited after having been so pleased with Coco Mde.

I tried it on and thought there was some mistake or maybe I was wearing Coco Mademoiselle that day and it threw me off! I tried it again and again and still to this day I feel that Chance may have been a version of Coco Mademoiselle at some point. I suppose they wanted to see how well Mademoiselle would sell and then decided to launch Chance when it was deemed profitable. It's, imo, a cool cut version of Coco Mademoiselle. I wonder why they never named it Coco Mademoiselle blank blank and instead launched it as though it was some brand new scent, which to me seemed like a rip off. They are different yet very similar. Mademoiselle being the warm, comfy, lush, orange aromatic version and Chance being the cooler version not having the orange and warmth prominent notes, leaving it still complex but cold.

I know for many people, the 2 fragrances will be different because some like warmer fragrances or like to associate Coco Chanel's original perfume to Mademoiselle and then the other campers who will choose 'Chance' because it's in a round bottle and the advertising is geared to a more youthful crowd.

It is what it is. What I do love is the fact that we live in a day and age that we can own so many fragrances and everyday is a new scent It wasn't long ago that the general population had to save a lot of money to afford a perfume and many were lucky to even own one! I doubt they could ever imagine life evolving so quickly after the synth-frags were introduced.

Okay, peace be to Chanel Bleu - may you make men smell spiffy and stop harrassing us lol

MissM
    " Nothing can be known - not even this..." - Carneades

I still don't know if you liked it or not. LOL!

Oh, I keep coming back to this one. I got another sample at Nordstrom yesterday. I know I am going to end up buying it, not for DH but for me.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

^^^ Interesting that you perceive the same Bleu/Allure type of similarity with Chance/Coco Mademoiselle. I was assuming there might be more of that on the women's side than just the frags that I'm familiar with, but wasn't aware of that case. Cool!

You know, I agree - the "unexpected" thing is intriguing if only because it seems so overstated for a frag that didn't fall that far from the tree, and notably on the mainstream side of the fence. My belief at this point is that the idea was really not meant for people who are familiar with the Chanel brand, but rather for the people who are used to something else - maybe Acqua di Gio, L'Eau d'Issey, Hugo Boss, and other light aquatic frags which lack the whole Chanel vibe. For them, it may be a bit of a leap.

^ You go, arwen_grl! I'll wear Eau Première, you wear Bleu, and we'll both smell fabulous!

Has anyone seen a shower gel for Bleu de Chanel?

Interview with Jaques Polge on Egoiste and Bleu:

http://www.hintmag.com/post/qampa-wi...tember-02-2010

Interesting quote:

"Speaking of America, you've said Americans have changed the fragrance business, making it more sanitized."

"Yes, indeed. You know, I started my career in the United States. Perfumes were then made of both good-smelling and bad-smelling ingredients. But the bad-smelling ingredients, when used in a certain way, brought something sensual and interesting to the final scent. The first time I arrived at work, they told me, “You want to work here? Then smell this.” They made me smell chives. With American puritanism, all these kinds of fragrances disappeared."

"What is the inspiration behind Bleu, your new men's fragrance, which has just hit stores?"

"Bleu is the opposite of Egoïste. Egoïste was inspired by a woman's fragrance, whereas there is nothing feminine about Bleu. I wanted to do something very direct. You know, men's fragrances are still very linked with shaving. When I find myself in planes, at some point I always see those business men coming from the bathroom smelling of aftershave. So Bleu is spicy, woody, and dry. There is no fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    Has anyone seen a shower gel for Bleu de Chanel?
    No, only aftershave
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    "What is the inspiration behind Bleu, your new men's fragrance, which has just hit stores?"[/I]

"Bleu is the opposite of Egoïste. Egoïste was inspired by a woman's fragrance, whereas there is nothing feminine about Bleu. I wanted to do something very direct. You know, men's fragrances are still very linked with shaving. When I find myself in planes, at some point I always see those business men coming from the bathroom smelling of aftershave. So Bleu is spicy, woody, and dry. There is no fantasy. "
    Wow. Incredibly boring and uninspiring. Just as I expected.
    No inspiration. No art. Just smells like aftershave.

I got a sample of it when I bought Opium Pour Homme YSL. I must say that i thought that such a brand as Chanel would come up with something more sophisticated and creative. But no. Not worth to pay 59 $ for a fragrance that smells like an AXE deodorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Wow. Incredibly boring and uninspiring. Just as I expected.
    No inspiration. No art. Just smells like aftershave.
    Sorry again - I was shocked after having sampled it at home on blotter. It is screechy woody amber plus aquatic and induces a headache at me. I'm not anosmic to that chemical used overly in here. The same as with Hermes' Voyage. Exactly the same. The top notes in here are some citrus, some orris(?) for literally seconds even on a relatively cold blotter. And then my olfactory center explodes from that cry of "fresh wood". Horrific, it's a threat, literally!

Are we unconsciously captives in a war of screechy woody ambers for the unholy grail of the upmost boldest fresh puritanism? I'll convert to an oriental look on life ...

Skin test people, SKIN test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Naitch View Post
    Skin test people, SKIN test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, it would increase the compensation for the assault. Blotter: 10.000$$, skin 500.000$$ realistic? I bet the thing is quite pure woody amber as is Hermes Voyage and other so called marvels of contemporary perfumery. Eventually taken to the power of razor sharp abrasives. How could anybody fond on fragrance fall for such a freak. Even its mother - if You pardon - Mr. Polge narrows its use to rude men that can be seen (bad enough) AND SMELLED leaving the toilett in a jet airplane. Lookup the interview cited in the beginning of this thread.

I gave my sample a crash test in the can. Fortunately it withstood my anger ...

I tried it on skin again today. It has very good sillage, and good longevity (~6 hours from 2 spritz to my hand), but I'm just not wowed by the fragrance at all. I get a fresh yet fuzzy/cloudy, sharp citrus similar to 212 Men.

Wildthingy, I too found it quite scratchy and abrasive.

I like a lot of modern scents, but there's something in this one that is just plain rough, at least to those of us who can detect or sensitive to the chemical/accord in question. Ouch!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Wildthingy, I too found it quite scratchy and abrasive.

I like a lot of modern scents, but there's something in this one that is just plain rough, at least to those of us who can detect or sensitive to the chemical/accord in question. Ouch!
    The interview (in words) can be found here:

http://www.hintmag.com/post/qampa-wi...tember-02-2010

citation:

Q: What is the inspiration behind Bleu, your new men's fragrance, which has just hit stores?

A: Bleu is the opposite of Egoïste. Egoïste was inspired by a woman's fragrance, whereas there is nothing feminine about Bleu. I wanted to do something very direct. You know, men's fragrances are still very linked with shaving. When I find myself in planes, at some point I always see those business men coming from the bathroom smelling of aftershave. So Bleu is spicy, woody, and dry. There is no fantasy.

It might be, pure speculation here, that Polge tried to extract the essence of the aromatic fougere genre: rough, bold manhood. After the razor the skin is hurt by the scratching blade. The after shave should once at a time first desinfect the microscopic wounds and also relax the skin with balm. For sure the desinfection has to BURN to be effective, to etch the invisable bacteria away. From that the burn itself became the effect in focus and its stupidly as healthy taken presence was assigned to the smell. Azzaro Pour Homme is the notorious leader of the pack. Derived along that line Bleu Of Chanel could be seen as an uber Azzaro - cynically. This kind of war against olfaction by base misuse ain't my cup of tea.

I tried it on my skin and I liked it - it does smell good, it has a nice drydown, the longevity is remarkable but the sillage is restrained. At the risk of being reiterative, and as many have said, Blue's composition is not very original, thus BNoters into classics won't find many grounds for being enthusiastic about it - a "I smelt this before" sensation is prominent after application on the skin, besides the fact that after this initial reaction it is quite easy to trace analogies between Chanel's Blue and other blends: for example, the acquatic top notes and the vetiverish-like notes in the drydown are very easily found in many other compositions.

However, judging from the interview done to Mr. Polge, he wasn't looking for originality when working on the blend, so I am ignoring a key fact when expressing my opinion. On the other hand, Chanel's managers have all the right to determine to launch such a blend when targetting people interested in smelling good: these customers are def not looking after originality - we are talking about managers working in multinational corporations who are frequent flyers and wear suits, this rules out burgoise bohemians, litterati, scholars, performance artists, members of the fashion industry... you name it. There is nothing wrong about it, if you don't like it, try something else.

BTW, down here, the 3.3 Oz bottle of Chanel Blue retails for USD 115. IMHO, it is money worth spending in other options.
    Last edited by Pollux; 10th September 2010 at 08:48 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    ... targetting people interested in smelling good: these customers are def not looking after originality - we are talking about managers working in multinational corporations who are frequent flyers and wear suits, this rules out burgoise bohemians, litterati, scholars, performance artists, members of the fashion industry... you name it. There is nothing wrong about it, ... money worth spending in other options.
    I totally agree. Regarding managers of multinational something I wouldn't reach so high in hierachy, though. As an European CEO one is expectetd to show some respect to culture. Smelling good with Blue Of Chanel works by smelling generic which I have to admit isn't the worst option.

As a perfumista to look up what exactly is the generic here was unavoidable. Mission accomplished?

Taken by attitude Blue Of Chanel isn't so far from Polges Egoiste (English Egoist - correct: selfish person!) he mentioned himself in the interview. Egoist was launched when the Communism fell to dust in Europe 1990, go figure! To issue an other take of manhood that is selfassured by accomodation continues the service Chanel offers to shady fashion addicts 20 yrs later. Chanel goes Creed?

Tried this today finally. WOW! Is it ever boring. I can't really think of any redeeming qualities other than the warm and fuzzy feeling I get knowing I will smell a hell of a lot better than anyone who decides to purchase this. I got a sample card and then threw it away because I had some on my skin. As of right now it's slightly aquatic, slightly spicy, and slightly woody. It's quite unremarkable.

The SA called it "elegant" which I thought was pretty funny. She said it was very popular which isn't all that surprising. I just think it's kind of sad that someone would go in to buy a fragrance and just get the one being peddled by all the SAs. But oh well!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I was going to sample this at Macy's but then my wife shows up and says she's got some "manflowers" for me (I was hoping it was beer). She then pulls out a 50ml bottle of Bleu and proceeds to tell me how much she LOVES it (she also bought me HM by Hanae Mori). That of course means that I'm expected to wear it for her more often than not. Luckily, I found it to my liking (not loving).
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Personally, I think it's very elegant.

My attempt to summarize this 9 page thread with an - I think - rather appropriate little word poem.

B-est
    L-ame
    E-xceptional
    U-nexceptional
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Hehe!! Love it!

B uy
    L ess
    E xpensive
    U rine

Honestly I still dont think its really that bad , me thinks there is a fair amount of band wagon jumping going on ....

It's not that bad, but I'd prefer trying something horrendous than something "alright". 98% of male fragrances that come out these days are "not bad". Testing a fragrance that's an all out disaster would at least be fun. Kinda like the opening of Usher's VIP that burned my nostrils and smelled like pure sweat. I had a good laugh with that one. Trying this was just a waste of time.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midiguru View Post
    I was going to sample this at Macy's but then my wife shows up and says she's got some "manflowers" for me (I was hoping it was beer). She then pulls out a 50ml bottle of Bleu and proceeds to tell me how much she LOVES it (she also bought me HM by Hanae Mori). That of course means that I'm expected to wear it for her more often than not. Luckily, I found it to my liking (not loving).
    Yeah, I use this stuff to get ridiculously easy compliments out of my wife. Every time I spray this on fresh, if she walks through the spot or I walk past her, she starts sniffing and cooing. I feel like a scoundrel of fragrance for using this stuff on her.

I'm really enjoying Bleu. I've been wearing almost nothing else all week. I finally got to where I can pick up the main accords fairly easily, and I simply find it enjoyable. In many ways, it's like Givenchy Pi Neo - also a fave of mine - so it's not a surprise that it's not exciting the masses here. But for those who enjoy mainstream and mainstreamish frags, this is an excellent one.

I think I'm starting to understand why it's a hit with women, if my wife is any indication. Mainstream frags, mostly aquatics and freshies, are enjoyable on guys because they make them smell clean in a generally popular way. They don't commit to anything specific which large percentages of either sex might object to. BUT, Bleu adds the Chanel trademark "feminine powdery stuff", about 3 or 4 Kevin Bacon units from good old no.5. Not enough to seem outright girly, but enough to score with women who like the smell of.... manflowers? Yeah. THAT is what's different about Bleu. The ultimate metro masculine.

In any case, I'm just wallowing in this stuff and loving it. I've already depleted my big bottle by 5-10%. It is definitely more enjoyable worn than on paper. I'm finding that 4 good sprays (3 of them under the shirt) is just about right on my skin. The best moments are when I pick up bits of sillage - and thanks to the great longevity, it can be pretty late in the day or even the evening.

I agree that Polge wasn't making something with the deep French artistic commitment that we here would all love to experience. But I really think he deserves applause for making a truly great *mainstream* fragrance. It's modern urban glass and steel - no surprises, kind of cool, if not cold. But it does it SO WELL. I simply WANT to wear this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yeah, I use this stuff to get ridiculously easy compliments out of my wife. Every time I spray this on fresh, if she walks through the spot or I walk past her, she starts sniffing and cooing. I feel like a scoundrel of fragrance for using this stuff on her.

I'm really enjoying Bleu. I've been wearing almost nothing else all week. I finally got to where I can pick up the main accords fairly easily, and I simply find it enjoyable. In many ways, it's like Givenchy Pi Neo - also a fave of mine - so it's not a surprise that it's not exciting the masses here. But for those who enjoy mainstream and mainstreamish frags, this is an excellent one.

I think I'm starting to understand why it's a hit with women, if my wife is any indication. Mainstream frags, mostly aquatics and freshies, are enjoyable on guys because they make them smell clean in a generally popular way. They don't commit to anything specific which large percentages of either sex might object to. BUT, Bleu adds the Chanel trademark "feminine powdery stuff", about 3 or 4 Kevin Bacon units from good old no.5. Not enough to seem outright girly, but enough to score with women who like the smell of.... manflowers? Yeah. THAT is what's different about Bleu. The ultimate metro masculine.

In any case, I'm just wallowing in this stuff and loving it. I've already depleted my big bottle by 5-10%. It is definitely more enjoyable worn than on paper. I'm finding that 4 good sprays (3 of them under the shirt) is just about right on my skin. The best moments are when I pick up bits of sillage - and thanks to the great longevity, it can be pretty late in the day or even the evening.

I agree that Polge wasn't making something with the deep French artistic commitment that we here would all love to experience. But I really think he deserves applause for making a truly great *mainstream* fragrance. It's modern urban glass and steel - no surprises, kind of cool, if not cold. But it does it SO WELL. I simply WANT to wear this stuff.
    Completely agree! I can't get enough of it. Very, very addictive.

The haters will love this, but sometimes in the past I've used deodorants or body sprays and thought to myself "Oh, this is actually quite a lovely smell. I wish I had a high quality EDT of this". And lo and behold, along comes Bleu de Chanel. Yes, I've sort of admitted that it has a vague deodorant smell to it, but it's so, so much more than that. I really love it. I love my odd smelling, niche fragrances at times, but when I want something quietly lovely and masculine, then Bleu does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    If You are after that glass/steel arrogance why not try Comme Des Garcons Odeur53? But be warned, despite of it's crude concept there is some life! What kind of mill we are in if a cynical mainstream fragrance is considered great if it is from Chanel?

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    If You are after that glass/steel arrogance why not try Comme Des Garcons Odeur53? But be warned, despite of it's crude concept there is some life! What kind of mill we are in if a cynical mainstream fragrance is considered great if it is from Chanel?
    Such hilarious snobbery!

If Comme des Garcons had made the exact same fragrance as Bleu, you'd probably be falling over yourself to praise it as some sort of post-modern work of art.

Get over yourself.

Such hilarious snobbery!

If Comme des Garcons had made the exact same fragrance as Bleu, you'd probably be falling over yourself to praise it as some sort of post-modern work of art.

Get over yourself.
    How to tell? I claimed the hype is derived from being a Chanel. You complain 'bout my addiction to CDG? Odeur 53 has some life, that is the difference. If You do not get it, what shalls?

It's new so it's cool to bash it. I remember when La Nuit was released all the negativity around here. Now it's mostly glowing comments. C'mon, how can anybody say "this sucks" "this is lame" after spraying on a card once or just because it doesn't smell like an old lady's perfume. If your attitude is negative from the beginning you're going to hate it no matter what it smells like. To those that hate it, nothing will make them like it. To those who like it, nothing will make them hate it.

For those who did a skin test or tried several times and still disliked it, I can respect your opinion.

BTW Polge's comments on it's contrast to Egoiste were interesting, which I still feel is Chanel's best offering.

The people that don't like it, don't like it because they don't like it. It's that simple. Everyone on here has different taste. I think it's pretty ignorant to tar every member on here, or those who don't enjoy this particular fragrance, with the same brush.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I don't like it at all. Usually, if I don't like a fragrance, it's no big deal and I go on. However, I don't think I'm alone in having a bit of respect for Chanel. Thus, having 5 years or longer to develop a fragrance by a major house with a very large budget, the disappointment carries more weight.

Does Bleu have longevity? Yes
    Does Bleu progress through it's pyramid? Yes. Noticeably. On me it goes through 3 distinct permutations. Every skin test. With hot weather. With cool weather. With dry weather. With wet weather. And it's different indoors vs. outdoors on my skin.
    Is Bleu a reasonable ''winter aquatic" ? Yes.
    Do I like it? Only the first few seconds.
    Will I buy it? Not even for my son.

What does it all mean? Chanel will sell boatloads of the stuff and I'll keep disliking it. LoL.

i tested it today. i actually liked it. its not the kind of scent that i would actually spend money on, but i wouldnt mind receiving it as a gift.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    How to tell? I claimed the hype is derived from being a Chanel. You complain 'bout my addiction to CDG? Odeur 53 has some life, that is the difference. If You do not get it, what shalls?
    I love my CDG as well. 2MAN is one of the select frags where I bought the entire range! I await my first sniff of Wonderwood anxiously. Still, I have to admit that both designers get a lot of hype - Chanel more so because it's such a monster of fashion, but CDG gets loads of respect here, too, and much anticipation for new releases. I've seen disappointment with offerings from both.

Ultimately, there is only one reason for me to love Bleu - the fact that it smells good to me! It took me some time to get to that point, but I'm experienced enough with my own tastes in fragrance to know that some fragrances are great for me from the start (Brut, Grey Vetiver, Aventus, Bois de Cedrat, Terre d'Hermès, Eau Première, 2MAN) and some take time for me to appreciate them (D&G the one, Tokyo by Kenzo, Tom Ford Extreme, Guerlain Homme, GIT, and now Bleu). I also know that my love can be just as intense for members of either group.

For those who are wondering what could possibly be so great about Bleu, I would say that it's not so much one distinct and very interesting accord, but rather a grab-bag of smaller embellishments and stray notes that tumble out like a kaleidoscope of fragrance beauty during its long and measured - but not shy - progression. I find myself catching these little bits and saying to myself "What the heck was that? Where have I smelled that? But it's really interesting here...." I feel like Polge was told to make a standard Japanese 4-door family sedan, and with a smirk got the idea of making one to top the charts and end up on the cover of Consumer Reports. To steal a phrase from another maker of mainstream products.... It's the best Boss ever!

Smelling the back of my arm, it now smells like an aquatic.. and it almost smells cold. It smelled like spicy woods for at least 6 hours. When the hell did this happen? I forgot to take into account my oily skin which makes fragrances sometimes play out in slow motion. But never has a fragrance changed this late in the game.

I think this may warrant more testings. I don't think I'll get to the point that I'll love it and want a bottle, but I'm interested to see if it can redeem itself.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post

Honestly I still dont think its really that bad , me thinks there is a fair amount of band wagon jumping going on ....
    Band wagon jumping for what ? Guys who dislike Bleu ? Whats wrong with guys expressing their dislike for this scent ?

I hardly think someone is gonna dislike a scent because others do. Not 99% of the guys who posted their comments on here, at least.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Blog Entries

I smelled it on a card and immediately threw it a way, i felt like i've smelled it 900 times before.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe
    The people that don't like it, don't like it because they don't like it. It's that simple. Everyone on here has different taste. I think it's pretty ignorant to tar every member on here, or those who don't enjoy this particular fragrance, with the same brush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    I smelled it on a card and immediately threw it a way, i felt like i've smelled it 900 times before.
    I rest my case.

It's new so it's cool to bash it. I remember when La Nuit was released all the negativity around here. Now it's mostly glowing comments....
    The same people who bashed YSL La Nuit de L'homme before are not the same people singing its praises right now. Different guys have different tastes and likes. By the way, I do like La Nuit de L'homme.

Alot of the negative feedback could be from expectation. Expectations that are reasonable. Look what Dior has released as of late ( Fahrenheit Absolute and the Dior Homme series). Hermes has the much loved Terre d'Hermes. Chanel looks bad in comparision.

Last, there are so many better fragrances out there. Designer fragrances get alot of flack. But there are a ton better than Bleu or just as good. Certainly, more interesting.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    The same people who bashed YSL La Nuit de L'homme before are not the same people singing its praises right now. Different guys have different tastes and likes. By the way, I do like La Nuit de L'homme.

Alot of the negative feedback could be from expectation. Expectations that are reasonable. Look what Dior has released as of late ( Fahrenheit Absolute and the Dior Homme series). Hermes has the much loved Terre d'Hermes. Chanel looks bad in comparision.

Last, there are so many better fragrances out there. Designer fragrances get alot of flack. But there are a ton better than Bleu or just as good. Certainly, more interesting.
    True enough, but when La Nuit was released it was awful hard to find anybody around here who liked it. That's all I'm saying. As far as expectations, everyone wanted another Egoiste type frag. That woud have been great, however Polge & Channel had other ideas. Believe me, my first impression wasn't all that good. After a couple of wearings, my mind was changed drastically. I've read several comments from folks who have just sprayed a card and dismissed it. That used to be frowned upon around here. Now it is ok?! What gives?

.... I've read several comments from folks who have just sprayed a card and dismissed it. That used to be frowned upon around here. Now it is ok?! What gives?
    Well, yes, that is unfortunate. I did leave Bleu on my skin for the rest of the day ( over 6 hours). I still wouldn't mind another testing. I can speak for myself in this regards, but I prefer alot of other designers in the same vein as Bleu.

I think some guys will spray to see if the scent matches their taste. If is comes across as not in their taste, its gone. Thats fine. I do find it strange when someone who digs all kinds of designer gourmands and sweet scents dismisses Bleu. Now thats a bit odd !

Oh, and the bit about wanting another Egoiste. I must say, I cannot stand that scent ! I don't find it groundbreaking as well, although I wasn't around the time it was released to really understand the impact it had.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Oh, and the bit about wanting another Egoiste. I must say, I cannot stand that scent ! I don't find it groundbreaking as well, although I wasn't around the time it was released to really understand the impact it had.
    Blasphemy!

Red face Re: Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - New fragrance

This is MY OPINION on Bleu De Chanel, Overall Not bad 8/10.

Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

Quote Originally Posted by thierry mugler View Post
    Hey man! Thanks for all the time you put into your videos. They are appreciated from a fellow North Jersian!

Quote Originally Posted by thierry mugler View Post

Nice review! I'd go along with all of that!

Blog Entries

Nice review! I'd go along with all of that!
    Yeah, me too. Definitely enjoyed that review - and a lot of agreement here, too.

Tried it again and got more of the aquatic notes. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it was before, but still warrants a meh.

I'll say 2/5
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

My take on Bleu if anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfiYvPO5_XY
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Kerosene, I saw that when you put it up and heartily agreed.
    The kids and I stopped in at Nordstrom's today and the sales staff said it's selling like crazy.
    Cheers,
    Daryl J.