Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help finding that elusive "sexy" scent.

Obviously this is a topic which has been done to the death and then some, but I'm still trying to hone in on that elusive "sexy" go to scent (read: Holy Grail!). I've searched BN very extensively (including the "Which scent gets the most compliments" thread) and slowly but surely I've been sampling/buying a lot of scents, yet not quite finding what I want.

I'll go through my wardrobe/samples and then perhaps somebody could point out what I'm yet to try and what I could be looking for:

Dolce and Gabbana PH: This one is by far the most consistent "go to" fragrance in my collection. Fortunately only Light Blue is available where I live, so nobody wears it. This is my favorite as far as masculine "sexy" goes. I love the dark/yet bright complex nature, as well as the tobacco base. It ticks all the right boxes, but I'd be open to trying something which is "better", although in the same ball park.

Musc Ravaguer: Gorgeous scent, ticks a lot of boxes as to what I'm looking for, but it's more sweet and sensual, than outright sexy IMO once it dries down, which is a shame. Something a bit more carnal and slightly manly, built on this would be a winner.

MKK: This was my first and only from Serge Lutens and it's a very attractive scent once it dries down. Although I find this is more of a skin scent on me, which should be reserved for intimate moments, since it doesn't really project that well on myself and dries down to something quite light. I do enjoy layering it though.

Green Irish Tweed: This is not something I would normally buy for myself, since I'm not a fan of "green" fragrances. After receiving this as a gift though, I fell in love, sexy in its own right. I love the rich spicy cream opening/dry down. One for the arsenal for sure, very regal and sophisticated, but more of a first dater, rather than a closer

YSL M7: I bought this one duty free on a whim, more in part to it's rarity. I love the medicinal cherry opening and find it very sensual and appealing. In many ways it's close to what I'm looking for, but for some reason this one ends up very powdery on me. I've had multiple friends and women tell me that it smells like a women's perfume on me. Almost! But not quite! Damn!

Chanel Allure: This was my signature scent for years, I find it rather sexy and sophisticated. Yet a little safe in a "jack of all trades" manner.

Le Male: I wore this a lot in my younger years, it was great at the time, but it's not quite my cup of tea anymore. I still appreciate it and wear it on occasion (day time only), but I still find it overly sweet and overdone.

Black Orchid:I blind bought this one years ago when it first came out. I love the dark complex opening and the colors it evokes. But I've been told by women who I was cozying up to, to "wash it off" since it was way too feminine and not attractive.

C&S No.88: I really wanted this one to be "it". I love the dark regal mysterious aura of it all. Very complex and unique, but it does end up smelling rather musty and teetering on feminine after awhile. I've never had a compliment on it and always end up being told I smell like a "Church" or "Temple".

A-men: Again I love the dark complex unique opening (I keep saying dark and complex!) but no matter how many times I try to wear and like this, there is something not quite right. I believe it's the potent middle tar note.

Pure Malt: I sampled this one at an airport. Quite pleasant, but smelt like a tamer A-men dry down with a cherry note. Nice scent, but not ground breaking or unique enough to buy.

So in closing what should I be looking at? I'm very interested to sample:

Santal Noble
    SR Chergui and Ambre Sultan
    Andy Tauer LM

Since based on the descriptions and reviews these could be the elusive scents which I'm craving. Any other suggestions?

I think the superlatives which describe what I'm after are: Dark, Spicy, Complex, strong projection, unusual, classy and sophisticated, sexy and sensual. Not overly masculine, yet not quite unisex. Mild sweetness, preferably with leather and mild tobacco accords. Almost like a cross between the sexiness of D&G PH with the dangerous/animalic/sensualness of MKK and MR and finally the regal sophistication of GIT
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 14th February 2011 at 06:58 AM.

Default Re: Help finding that elusive "sexy" scent.

Rose 31 by Le Labo
    Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Black Aoud by Montale

Sur la Plage

Le Labo Rose 31
    MFK Absolue pour le Soir
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Rose 31 by Le Labo
    Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Black Aoud by Montale
    I didn't care for Black Oud. I obtained a sample from Lucky Scent, it's a much too overwhelming smell for my taste.

Not what I was expecting from the title of the post.
    Pleasantly surprised because you have obviously started doing your home work (bloody good read).
    You might like to keep going with S.Lutens towards animalistic / civet style scent Turc Fumer etc..and revisit Frederic Malle with Carnal Flower, Epice Noir etc.. other offerings or try kilians "Heavens"'s (Straight Too or a Taste Of) but going by the comments it might be seen on the femmine side for your companions taste. I am sure Joe and the other veterans here will come up with some suggestions that could help you more then I can. Going to follow this thread with interest - thank you.

Divine L`homme Sage is what you`r looking for!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Rose 31 is quality stuff... but I think you should seek Mark Birley Charles Street.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Opium pour homme - ideally in the EDP, but the EDT is very, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Opium pour homme - ideally in the EDP, but the EDT is very, very good.
    I tried that one at the time of buying M7. It was unusual and interesting, but had a certain "zing" which was a little too much for me. Good stuff indeed though.

Yeah, very good specification of what you are after and I think the Rose 31 is spot on.
    Ambre Sultan would have been my general rec, seeing you already have it on your list I can skip over that.
    Last that comes to mind immediately is Jubilation XXV by Amouage : Slightly sweet, resinous, frutiy, incense, certainly sophisticated and alluring (to my nose )
    Smellin good

Black Aoud

Perhaps Body Kouros deserves a try?

Inexpensive and very sexy: Ungaro III
    It is dark, sensual and very sophisticated. Don't be fooled by its price.

I think MFK Absolue pour le Soir and Le Labo Rose 31 are on the to try list, based on the descriptions!

MFK Absolue pour le Soir
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

My suggestion to you would be Fahrenheit Absolute.

I think CK euphoria intense and body Kouros fit the bill perfectly.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

It really depends on what notes women find sexy on a man.
    I'd pick MFK Lumiere Noire pour Homme over Le Labo's Rose 31 but today I got a compliment by a pretty young lady for wearing Roadster by Cartier.

Rose 31 is great, perfect for all seasons and times of day, although I've never gotten a compliment when wearing it. Doesn't smell much like rose - the name is misleading.

Aventus and Rive Gauche have gotten me more compliments than anything else I wear.

L'Hombre Fauve is also really sexy.
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=34520
    Last edited by adonis; 14th February 2011 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I got a compliment by a pretty young lady for wearing Roadster by Cartier.
    It wasn't from a pretty young lady, but I got one too today from wearing Roadster. Funny, because I dismissed it when I first tried it and almost swaped it off. Total 180 with this one for me. Now it is one of my favs.

tobacco vanille is sexy in my opinion

For exclusive Sexy scents check out a Saks 5th avenue store and sample the Kilian scents. Kilian Cruel Intentions is quite nice and high class, and you will probably never run across any guy wearing it. Check out Saks, they will throw you samples of each Kilian scent. I have been wow'd by some of their scents, and you can only find it at Sak's and online I believe. They have some extremely interesting scents that you will not find from a Chanel, YSL, Bond, Creed etc. line. Nothing will resemble it.
    Last edited by Dark Caesar; 15th February 2011 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I think MFK Absolue pour le Soir and Le Labo Rose 31 are on the to try list, based on the descriptions!
    I'm thinking they might be worth a shot for you - Personally I'm waiting on a sample of the MFK and a decant of Rose 31. I'm thinking the Rose 31 will be what I use when the weather gets a bit warmer, and I put musc Ravaguer away. I also really like the Divine l'homme Sage recomendation, although for me that is more of a skin scent, so more for someone you are already romantic with vs. attracing sex.

If I could throw one into the mix that might be a risk - Mazzolari Lui. Might be to overtly masculine, but I find it much more refined that say MKK. The kind of scent that while it might not be for every woman, would REALLY work with the right ones.

Kouros

MFK Cologne Poir Le Soir
    CDG Guerilla 1
    Kilian Incense Oud
    MFK Lumiere Noire Pour Homme
    Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille
    A*Men
    Voyage d'Hermes
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair
    Polo #2 Sensual
    Bond No 9 Signature Perfume Oud

I used to have Musc Ravaguer and Back to Black on my sexy/sensual list, but as interesting/unique as they are, they just don't seem to wear that well on me past the first half hour or so.

Also to get the 'bad' note out of A*MEN, apply it first to a piece of tissue or blotter paper (like Boscia makes) and then rub THAT on your skin. The fragrance wears better and not so cloying/annoying applying it this way.

PG L'Ombre Fauve should be on your must try. It has an "animal fur" note that makes it very unique.

I hear Nasomatto Duro is quite sexy.

Any more suggestions?

Ungaro II-this one might cover your expectations

Quote Originally Posted by pirop View Post
    Ungaro II-this one might cover your expectations
    It's discontinued correct? I like the sound of it, may have to track down a bottle.

Back to Black By Kilian. It's on the sweet side, but women like that. It's not really masculine but has tobacco accords that move it away from being very feminine. Worth a try, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Back to Black By Kilian. It's on the sweet side, but women like that. It's not really masculine but has tobacco accords that move it away from being very feminine. Worth a try, IMO.
    How does it compare to Tobacco Vanille?

How does it compare to Tobacco Vanille?
    Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to sample TV yet, but here's a thread where they are compared:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/269...obacco+vanille

MFK - Absolute pour le soir
    Kilians - Straight to Heaven
    Frederic Malles - Musc Ravenger
    Dior - Eau Noire
    YSL - Opium Edt
    for pure sex
    SL - MKK
    FM-s - Carnal Flower (French Lovers not bad either)

ohh forgot to add 1740 (raunchy)

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Even assuming that scents really do have aphrodisiac properties (which I am inclined to doubt see my blog post here), I wonder if the same one would really work on everybody, don't you?

I mean, my experience is that different things turn different people on, so why would a single perfume work to turn everyone on? I think that theory seems to lack a certain subtlety and nuance...

It may be that the key to the aphrodisiac nature of perfume is that it works for the wearer's confidence by evoking his or her own sexual urges. Then it might be true that one perfume works for each person; it would be the one that most turns that person on, not the seduction target.

If that's true, however, everybody's perfect aphrodisiac scent would still be different for each individual... It would be the one that works for that person, which only that person would know or be able to discover.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat clum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Seneca

I agree with JaimeB on this. The term "sexy" here is relative. What one person finds attractive, another finds repulsive.

I will echo some here and add others: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford, Black Orchid, L'Occitane de Provence Eau de Baux (a rich cypress incense with vanilla, and a great bargain), By Killian Back to Black, and also 1740 Marquis de Sade by Histories de Parfums.

Tauer Lonestar Memories smells like you have standing over a barbecue. I am sure, however, that some find this sexy.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

- - - - -
    Last edited by NewHaarlem; 1st June 2011 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Even assuming that scents really do have aphrodisiac properties (which I am inclined to doubt — see my blog post here), I wonder if the same one would really work on everybody, don't you?
    I agree, but there are frags designed to be bold, sporty, powerful, etc... Here we are discussing ones that attempt to be sexy... clearly there are a lot of interpretations on that theme, so your point is proven by the varied responses on this thread and the different offerings presented by the frag manufacturers. Despite this, I don't think that the entire category of "sexy" is worthless, as there are some commonalities that many sexy scents share, and clearly differentiate them from an aquatic or a sporty scent for example. I also think that, in general, if the person you are with finds you attractive it is likely they will also find your scent attractive unless it evokes a negative scent memory (why I avoid most designer frags).

Also, I believe there are notes that fit in with "sexy", such as sweet, edible, musk, etc... and others that do not. So while I agree that different people find different things sexy there are common threads that a great majority of people will agree with, which is why "sexy" scents generally have a lot in common with one another. For proof, again just look at the responses here on this thread.

Did you try the Rose 31 per the suggestions above? What about the L'Hombre Fauve?

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    It would be the one that works for that person, which only that person would know or be able to discover.
    Couldn't agree more. Every fragrance has its place - it may not be with anyone in this community but somewhere out there, there is a person for whom it works.

@OP: Give Rose 31 a shot. Sounds like it'd be your cup of tea.

A strong candidate is Aigner Black for men. Everything you've written would apply to it. Stunningly good price and good scent.

+1 on:
    Rose 31
    L'Homme Sage
    Cruel Intentions

And a wildcard:
    L'Artisan Al Oudh. It comes out of the bottle smelling like I do when I've been up all night swiggin' whiskey. 5 minutes later I'm ready to jump myself, it's that sexy. Could just be my chemistry, or maybe I think Whiskey BO smells sexy...

It's discontinued correct? I like the sound of it, may have to track down a bottle.
    Discontinued,but I guess you can find a bottle yet.

CK Escape is a sexy designer fragrance that is under estimated. I've had girls tell me it completely turns them on. I don't own a bottle any more but if you have never sampled it, its worth a try.

OK, I thought it would be fun to bring this one back. I've just ordered some samples from Lucky Scent.
    Rate these samples in order:

L'Ombre Fauve
    L'air du Desert Marocain
    Rose 31
    Caravelle Epicee
    New York

I currently have samples of all the Maison Francis Kurkdjian line and Absolue Pour le Soir is in the front running, along with one more from the list above.

Amouage Reflection

Sexy to whom? Everyone's tastes are different.

Of your list, I would say Black Orchid. Dark and musky, and very sexy. The women who told you to wash this off must not like the smell of men.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...me-ingredients
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Sexy to whom? Everyone's tastes are different.

Of your list, I would say Black Orchid. Dark and musky, and very sexy. The women who told you to wash this off must not like the smell of men.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...me-ingredients
    Interesting read, thanks for that. In regards to the Black Orchid comment, I believe her taste in male scent was very masculine. Her favorite being Drakkar Noir.

OK, I thought it would be fun to bring this one back. I've just ordered some samples from Lucky Scent.
    Rate these samples in order:

L'Ombre Fauve
    L'air du Desert Marocain
    Rose 31
    Caravelle Epicee
    New York

I currently have samples of all the Maison Francis Kurkdjian line and Absolue Pour le Soir is in the front running, along with one more from the list above.
    Pity you didn`t order a sample of Divine L`homme Sage..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Pity you didn`t order a sample of Divine L`homme Sage..
    I was going to, but they didn't have it in stock. Plus I've heard that this one is more of a skin scent, I'm after something with some balls and projection.

Dior Homme Intense
    Scent Intense
    Frapin 1270
    Avant Garde

speaking of something thats in definite vein with Back to Black and Tobacco Vanille but for 1/8th the price(and with more projection and oomph) try(and give it a full wearing or two) Gaultier II. Its straight vanilla doused cigar on me...everyone ooohs and ahhhs when i have it on and unlike many here on basenotes, I have never gotten anything but "its masculine, sweet, tobaccoish and sexy" responses.

I would definitely add Cartier Declaration into the mix with its mix of cardamon, spice and lots of good old fashioned cumin.....the great thing about declaration is that it layers beautifuly with anything fruity or sweet giving your skin a waftin of that natural musk and spice on almost a subliminal level to the outside nose.......i get great responses when i layer it with anything fresh or sweet.

Kiehl's Original Musk - great musk scent with sweet notes thrown in.....great on its own and just as great layered with anything else.

Fresh Cannabis Santal - creamy, honey sandalwood......this one has sillage for miles and perfect for warm weather 'sexyness'...

Bond # 9 Bleecker Street - my personal fav....violet, woods, grassy yet sweet.....for me there is no way to pinpoint this fragrance all i know is that its literally hypnotic...i feel quite 'sexy' wearing this fragrance and i cant stop sniffing myself, lasts forever with very underrated sillage. Maybe my strongest opposite sex reaction was to this scent.....this very cute girl was working as a hostess in a lounge and she literally chased after me outside the establishment(even though i was there with a girl) apologized to the girl i was with and said to me"i had to ask what youre wearing...im sorry but i couldnt concentrate at work since i first smelled you".

P.S Fleur Du Male - be patient with it, after the initial, incredible orange blossom and neroli explosion the drydown is pretty heavenly....it is woody, musky and vanillic an hour into it with just a slight floral hint that was so poweful in the initial spray......the sillage and longevity will outlast anything you own or will own....the only warning about it is i would say wait at least 30-45 minutes after spraying it before going around other people.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 17th April 2011 at 10:38 AM.

I tried both Rose 31 and MKK last week. I must say, Rose 31 smelled like straight BO on me.

MKK smelled like musk and BO, but thankfully it faded away almost immediately.

I also agree with Jaime; I find that women respond to me when I wear a frag that I feel is sexy, not necessarily the frag itself. Knowing how I feel about Rose 31, if I were to wear it out, my own feeling about it would reduce my confidence and that would be reflected in how women respond to me.

Going by the comments of women around you, I think the oriental/ambery/gourmand things are actually not what you need.

Try these
    +1 Cartier Declaration
    +1 Kouros
    Yatagan
    Rive Gauche
    Gucci PH
    CDG 2Man

fountain

body kouros
    dior homme intense
    b*men (just do not bathe in it)

I think you should reconsider Musc Ravaguer. The impact it has on me is quite profound - the musks and cinnamon make me feel like sex personified. I always detect a slight fecal note that prevents the fragrance from drifting into overtly sweet feminine territory - if you try it again, try and spot this facet. Fecal notes always sound repulsive on paper, but in some fragrances, they can evoke strong sexual feelings - Chanel No 5 is one other such fragrance that does this with aplomb.

Have yout tried Dior Homme Intense? That is the only thing that comes close to the above IMHO.

Edit: Also, if you don't like the dry-down to MR, you can pretty much discount Gucci Envy as they smell very similar.
    Last edited by ApolloSmintheus; 17th April 2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Forgot something!

Profumum Roma Olibanum.

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloSmintheus View Post
    I think you should reconsider Musc Ravaguer. The impact it has on me is quite profound - the musks and cinnamon make me feel like sex personified. I always detect a slight fecal note that prevents the fragrance from drifting into overtly sweet feminine territory - if you try it again, try and spot this facet. Fecal notes always sound repulsive on paper, but in some fragrances, they can evoke strong sexual feelings - Chanel No 5 is one other such fragrance that does this with aplomb.

Have yout tried Dior Homme Intense? That is the only thing that comes close to the above IMHO.

Edit: Also, if you don't like the dry-down to MR, you can pretty much discount Gucci Envy as they smell very similar.
    Don't get me wrong I love Musc Ravaguer, it's my current going out scent, layered with MKK. I'm always looking for the next best thing though (aren't we all!). I sampled Dior Homme the other day, I thought it was quite pleasant, but smelled like coca powder, lip stick and a make-up bag. Not my thing!

Le Male lightly applied correctly is the sexiest fragrance.

Also, surprised noone mentioned La nuit, or even John Varvatos Original. Leather, cherry, vanilla. c'mon!