Code of Conduct

Default The Different Company De Bachmakov

The Different Company has launched De Bachmakov, a new perfume inspired by artistic director Thierry de Baschmakoff’s Russian origins and celebrating the Année France-Russie.

De Bachmakov was developed by perfumer Celine Ellena, and the notes include cedar, bergamot, shiso leaves, coriander leaves, freesia, nutmeg and craie douce.

The Different Company De Bachmakov is in 12% concentration, and is available in 90 ml refillable bottles, 145€. (via press release)
    www.nstperfume.com

I think it sounds great...
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Different Company De Bachmakov

Wow! Very interesting. Didn't see it on their website - I'll have to wait for the email campaign.

TDC is one of those houses that simply can't miss for me. I recently wore Oriental Lounge after setting it aside for a while, and it just made me smile and laugh again, exactly like the first time I wore it. I'll be looking forward greatly to trying this one!
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 26th May 2010 at 03:29 AM. Reason: present to past tense

Count me in as another fan of TDC, so a new fragrance from them is always exciting news in my opinion. According to Nathan Branch who got to try it recently on his trip to Paris, it's exclusive to Bon Marché for the next few months. I think it sounds interesting based on his short initial impressions:

When Denyse showed up, she immediately led me over to the TDC (The Different Company) counter in the center beauty and fragrance section (A TDC counter! In a department store!) where we tested the new de Bachmakov fragrance, a Bon Marché exclusive for the next few months. It's an homage to Thierry de Baschmakoff, the designer of the TDC flacons, and it comes across as spicy, a bit chilly and trending masculine. It's also supposed to be a 14% concentration (the high end of EDP), which sounds heavy, yet it wears lightly (once it burns off its spicy intro).

I gonna find it to try as it`s devoted to French-Russian year - so it has French and Russian features.
    (I hope it`s good scent after all)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

It sounds very nice, I love Octavian's description of it on his blog:'...The creation seems to be inspired by scent of alcohol, ice, snow and Siberian forests and here I have already 2 strong historic images - first is the metaphor that gave birth to Chanel No 5 (the arctic vision & the aldehydes) and second a famous Russian cologne with a bear on an ice (created before the revolution but sold also during the soviet era).
    The cedar evokes the forest, the pines and the vegetation found at high altitudes. It is combined with a very cold lily of the valley, fresh like linalool but floral like freesia (un peu DMBCA) and the woody elements of a cold green tea. Green and aldehydic notes are combined to express a vegetal freshness with a very Asian touch - coriander leaves and shiso leaves - where the cold spicy notes plays an important role (nutmeg and maybe a touch of cinnamon) in the soft jasmine cloud....'
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 26th May 2010 at 02:30 AM.

Here is The Different Company's web site that describes the influences: http://www.debachmakov-leparfum.com/

I went to smell it at the shop: it starts out full of energy (spices, pepper). It then settles down with grassy notes and white flower notes (shiso). The coriander, the cedar and the shiso go well together to create a feel of soft yet very fresh accents. It ends with a slightly more wooden note while keeping a very green aspect toned down by sweeter notes.

It lasted quite long. It is a perfume to be tried out: the affects varry greatly between two people (went to try it out with a friend: it was much greener on her a bit lemony).

Definitely a different perfume. I'm truly enthousiastic about it...

Quote Originally Posted by kunst View Post
    white flower notes (shiso)
    What do shiso flowers smell like? I'm very familiar with the herb, which i'm inclined to think is actually what is used or inspired the note in this perfume. I love the smell, and taste, of shiso. Ume shiso, anyone?

Some varieties are purple, too.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Does anyone know of a release date???? Or wear to Buy???
    Im the be$t @ thi$

@ DocmanCC
    I really don't know what they used of the shiso (the leaf or the flower) but the impression is that of a small wild flower (a soft fresh smell, a bit acidic a bit like in a garden in spring) but it might be a compositions of the shiso leaves with other elements that give this impression

@megatropolis
    The perfume has already been released (might have been a week ago). You can buy it at their shop in Paris, at their corner in the Bon Marché also in Paris and on the internet (if you go on the de Bachmakov site, there are links at the bottom, there's one of them that sends you on a commercial site that allows you to buy the Different Company products as well as other brands)...

Thanks soooo much...Im going to look it up!!!!
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Basenotes Institution

This got a favorable review, by Robin, over at Now Smell This so I'm even more eager to smell it now.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 9th July 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Tried a sample today and found the first hour incredibly crisp and invigorating - a wonderful mixture of green, citrus and "cold", building upon the usual note of freshness you get in ctirus. It evokes a bracing morning walk in the woods in late winter. During the middle notes the "cold" evaporates leaving the pine-citrus combination. It doesn't project much, and longevity was about 3-4 hours overall, but the smell is intoxicating throughout.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    This got a favorable review, by Robin, over at Now Smell This so I'm even more eager to smell it now.
    Sounds good. I need to try it....

Worth the money IMO. No regrets in having bought it.

Blog Entries

^ Me too - a very nice fragrance. I thought it had a Chanel vibe, only a bit out of their box. As if Chanel decided to go cone-head on their more citrus frags (and it does have similarities to Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne, but *very* natural, no synthetic notes at all.) It's off-beat in a beautiful way - like YSL Jazz is to frags of its style. I'm not sure if I like it as much as Sel de Vétiver, but it's a close call. It REALLY matches the desired artistic imagery. Frosty, piney, cool citrus, with an herbal thing.

[QUOTE=mikeperez23;1843193]It sounds very nice, I love Octavian's description of it on his blog:[I]'...The creation seems to be inspired by scent of alcohol, ice, snow and Siberian forests"

Interesting that you say this Mike, I tried this at Aedes in NYC and I got a cool austere affect from this one. At first I couldn't make heads or tails of it, but as I wore it (albeit for a short time) I found that it grew both more interesting and yet mysterious. I am not sure what I think of it, but it is quite unique. There are times when I am not sure what if it smells much like anything at all. I said to myself, "Different Company, for sure."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    There are times when I am not sure what if it smells much like anything at all. I said to myself, "Different Company, for sure."
    Exactly - I got that same impression. It gets that sort of cool, crisp, high-altitude air, "the presence of absence" thing, without bonking you over the head with "fresh" chemicals. That's the difference between craft and art. The Ellenas know the craft, but strive for (and achieve) art. Neil Morris impresses me similarly (his scent Vapor is very Cheshire Cat, and his Red Sky is like wind in the face). Neil's more of a graphic artist to me - he does amazing sketches and modern art, but he uses bold strokes, strong themes, and lots of metal. The Ellenas' works are like high-end paintings and artistic photographs. It's all good. While I admit to enjoying the more commercial art of a hottie on a motorcycle calendar designer fragrance, I still appreciate the work that goes into making a perfume that can both smell good and smell interesting, without appealing to the same old low-level hooks.

BTW, did I say it was expensive, and only available in 100 mL sizes. No 50 mL or travel bottles either. They must think they have a winner to restrict choices this much.

Certain fragrances I'm hesitant to try because I'm afraid I'll like them too much and have to pay the hefty price tag. This is one of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garybruce View Post
    BTW, did I say it was expensive, and only available in 100 mL sizes. No 50 mL or travel bottles either. They must think they have a winner to restrict choices this much.
    I sort of think that was a mistake. I know that TDC strives to be top-end, but I think that a lot of people would rather have two different 50-mL bottles than one 90/100 mL.

It smells like fresh clean laundry. For $200 less you can find a better detergent and remember to wash your clothes