Code of Conduct

Default Any thoughts on Red Sky by Neil Morris?

I was looking at the Neil Morris website and decided to sample one of his fragrances. I thought that
    Red Sky would best suit my needs at this time. Anyway, has anyone else sampled or bought a bottle?
    I was wondering if it is more masculine or feminine, since I guess these are all basically unisex.
    Apparantly, Morris likes to utilize flowery notes in his frags. I have Dior Homme and Kenzo Power.
    Is Red Sky a masculine flower frag along these lines? Is it a totally unique olfactory experience?
    Also, is it a good office frag? Good for spring/summer/fall/winter? Maybe just something to enjoy for
    oneself, and then toss aside and forget about?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any thoughts on Red Sky by Neil Morris?

I love it. I think it leans a little masculine, given that it's an ozonic, incense-type fragrance. It's floral, but it uses the floral notes to create a non-floral effect, like dry mountain air, so it does not come across femme at all, IMO.

I think it's kind of unique. The closest things I've sniffed are Tauer's stuff - LADDM and Incense Rose, or some of the outright incense frags, but I think Neil Morris does a better job of creating a true air effect (which some who prefer greater abstraction might take as a negative - your choice). I've worn it to the office and gotten compliments, too. It's more of a spring, summer, and fall scent IMO. Very strong - excellent longevity. I typically use half a spray on one arm in the summer. That's it.

Here is my review. Somerville Metro Man also reviewed it here.

Damn it, Redneck! Your review of Red Sky is about 5 minutes away from causing my first outright blind buy in years.

Unless, of course, somebody talks me down.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sounds like a fun sample to say the least. I've never been rock climbling, but I guess it might be fun to wear that
    type of frag to work a few times. I don't think any of my coworkers climb rocks either, but at least people shouldn't
    mistake my cologne for Cool Water or Aqua Di Gio.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Damn it, Redneck! Your review of Red Sky is about 5 minutes away from causing my first outright blind buy in years.

Unless, of course, somebody talks me down.
    Talk you down? Not a chance! Seriously, it's worth a sample at the least. And you'll get many wears from that sample, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Sounds like a fun sample to say the least. I've never been rock climbling, but I guess it might be fun to wear that
    type of frag to work a few times. I don't think any of my coworkers climb rocks either, but at least people shouldn't
    mistake my cologne for Cool Water or Aqua Di Gio.
    No way they'll mistake it for anything on the market. Yet, it's surprisingly wearable. I think some of the "fresh" scents aim for it, but none really go b@££s out for an outdoorsy wind / desert air effect. I would say that if you hate Tauer, fresh notes, or incense notes, then stay away, but otherwise, you'll find it interesting.

Definitely sample first. I was thoroughly disappointed in Red Sky and couldn't imagine wearing it.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Ok, consider me talked down. I will sample it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Hey guys. I received my sample of Red Sky yesterday. I sprayed a bit on my arm before going to bed. I spent quite some time trying to figure this
    one out. My first impression was that it was something that I could eat, like candy. I realized that lemongrass was a note, so then I started thinking that
    it had a slight lemondrop vibe to it. I also thought that this smelled slightly like some other cologne that I either had or I smelled on someone else.
    It then struck me that the closest thing was probably my full bottle of Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland. Basically a clean smelling outdoorsy scent.
    I haven't worn this out yet, but for now, I think I may be happy to just ride out the sample and go with 4 Voleurs or Patrick for my springy outdoor scents. This stuff is OK, but I'm not sure if it's 70 dollars an ounce OK. Neil Morris Mariner looks intriguing as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    Definitely sample first. I was thoroughly disappointed in Red Sky and couldn't imagine wearing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Ok, consider me talked down. I will sample it.
    LOL

Yes, I would NEVER buy a Neil Morris scent blind (and I love several of them). Neil is not scared of making scents that will be considered unwearable by a double-digit percentage of people who sample them - in pursuit of the corresponding percentage who will find them novel. Tauer, Nasomatto, and some of the other niche makers are the same way, but I would say that Neil is unabashedly so. Among his more "scenic" and powerful scents, I love Red Sky and Northwoods, but I simply can't handle Rumi, Prowl, Gotham, Cathedral, and Café, even though I respect the scents. I get the same feeling as when I sniff my sample of Lonestar Memories... Thanks for the memories, but I'll be wearing something else.

I was watching Teresa on Youtube today. She said that Bond No. 9 is doing a new frag called Denver. I'd love to hear how this one represents the
    mountain air compared to Neil Morris's Red Sky.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I was watching Teresa on Youtube today. She said that Bond No. 9 is doing a new frag called Denver. I'd love to hear how this one represents the
    mountain air compared to Neil Morris's Red Sky.
    Very interesting! Right off the bat, I would guess that the Bond would be:

more abstract
    less "airy"
    not so dry
    more linear
    more "urban"
    but maybe a touch of "old West"

Hope that one isn't just a local release. Could be my cup of tea.